PDA

View Full Version : Extreme dry scalp help - are there any other threads?

juniperjetcat
July 8th, 2016, 08:56 AM
For the past 2 months I have been suffering with what I believe is extreme dry scalp. I don't think it is dandruff as the flakes are not as big or yellow as what I have seen on the internet. My hair has become extremely dry and my scalp is slightly itchy, but mostly sensitive and a little tingly. The day I wash my hair (with "Yes to Coconuts" shampoo) my hair is frizzy and super dry, but my scalp has no flakes. The very next day my hair is still dry but the flakes are back.

I was doing water only for a year in South Africa with great success. I have recently moved to Florida USA 3 months ago and after being here for 1 month my issues started big time. I have never experienced this flaking before and don't know what to do about it. To add to all my issues my hair has begun falling out at a rapid pace. As it stands I am washing my hair 1 - 2 times a week with the Yes to Coconuts shampoo and am including an ACV rinse every other week. I have looked at anti dandruff shampoo (Paul Mitchell Tea tree and Head and Shoulders) but am worried to use them in case they cause more damage to the condition of my already dry and brittle hair. I have also been taking an Iron supplement for the past three weeks.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? I have looked through the thinning hair thread and have not found much info. I also can't seem to find any other threads that address similar issues as mine. I can't deal with the flakes, the sensitive sensation, the hair loss, and my hair being so dry and brittle anymore. I am at my wits end. Can anyone help? Can anyone recommend a shampoo that will not dry my hair anymore than what it is but will treat the dry and tingly scalp? Does anyone know of a good iron supplement that I can purchase here in USA?

lapushka
July 8th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Maybe you have something called SD (seborrheic dermatitis) (online they show the worst cases), but that is for a doctor to decide. Might not be dry scalp at all. I'd try a medicated shampoo such as Nizoral (2%). The itching should go pretty fast, but you need to wash 2x a week for a few weeks at least to help it get better. If it *is* SD. Like I said, that's up to a doctor.

shaded in gray
July 8th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I've suspected I have SD as well as my scalp flakes and is itchy, but it's more like a white powder I can scratch off my scalp. Gross, I know. :rolleyes:

You should definitely see a doctor to determine if a medicated shampoo can help, but sometimes it is just certain products/ingredients that make it act up. Maybe try switching your shampoo to something gentler/more natural? I would also look at your water quality. Hard water can be tough on the scalp and that might be a factor here.

Ophidian
July 8th, 2016, 10:24 AM
I thought of water quality too, in which case maybe a water filter attached to your shower head could help. My scalp loves a little oiling but people seem to either love or hate this one. Both of these of course are if you see a doctor and determine that it's not SD, just a dry scalp.

lapushka
July 8th, 2016, 10:43 AM
I thought of water quality too, in which case maybe a water filter attached to your shower head could help. My scalp loves a little oiling but people seem to either love or hate this one. Both of these of course are if you see a doctor and determine that it's not SD, just a dry scalp.

If it *is* SD, oiling is the thing you shouldn't do, at all! It feeds the fungi that are overgrown on the scalp.

It's definitely something for a doctor to decide whether or not it is dry scalp or something more serious.

Obsidian
July 8th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Maybe you have something called SD (seborrheic dermatitis) (online they show the worst cases), but that is for a doctor to decide. Might not be dry scalp at all. I'd try a medicated shampoo such as Nizoral (2%). The itching should go pretty fast, but you need to wash 2x a week for a few weeks at least to help it get better. If it *is* SD. Like I said, that's up to a doctor.

Unfortunately, Nizoral is prescription only in the US. I like sulfide based shampoos for my SD, I was using prescription strength but selenium blue OTC shampoo has the same type of medicine, you might give that a go. If you are worried about it being drying, just use it on you scalp and let it sit for a good 5 min before rinsing.

My SD present as small powdery itchy flakes, if I don't treat it right away then it turns into red, weepy sores that get progressively worse.

lapushka
July 8th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately, Nizoral is prescription only in the US. I like sulfide based shampoos for my SD, I was using prescription strength but selenium blue OTC shampoo has the same type of medicine, you might give that a go. If you are worried about it being drying, just use it on you scalp and let it sit for a good 5 min before rinsing.

My SD present as small powdery itchy flakes, if I don't treat it right away then it turns into red, weepy sores that get progressively worse.

In Belgium we only get one type of Nizoral (we don't have the 1% on the market), and the 2% is OTC. I sometimes forget that it's different the world over.

My SD is usually itchy, sometimes red, but the flakes are about 1 mm to half a cm, to a cm sometimes. Depends on where it manifests itself. If I get it on my temples they usually are 1-3 mm and all over.

Ophidian
July 8th, 2016, 12:12 PM
If it *is* SD, oiling is the thing you shouldn't do, at all! It feeds the fungi that are overgrown on the scalp.

It's definitely something for a doctor to decide whether or not it is dry scalp or something more serious.

I'm not saying that if she has SD she should oil. I said specifically that oiling had helped me with dry scalp, but that I seconded getting a diagnosis before experimenting.

Obsidian
July 8th, 2016, 12:30 PM
This might sound awful but oiling to see what happens is a whole lot cheaper then a DR visit. If it gets worse with oil, its most likely SD, if it gets better then its just dry skin after all.

juniperjetcat
July 8th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Thank you all so much for the response. I don't have any redness (unless I scratch) and no sores etc. A doctors visit is not going to fit into my budget this month, soon I hope - but for now perhaps what I can do is try a dry scalp shampoo. Does anyone have experience with the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo?

juniperjetcat
July 8th, 2016, 12:44 PM
This might sound awful but oiling to see what happens is a whole lot cheaper then a DR visit. If it gets worse with oil, its most likely SD, if it gets better then its just dry skin after all.

Just saw your comment Obsidian - that is not a bad idea I suppose. Maybe I will try it this evening and see how it pans out over the weekend

Anje
July 8th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Two things you might want to try:

First, a shower filter might be useful, especially if you've got quite a lot of chlorine in your water. It made a big difference for my husband's skin and hair when his was getting dried out at a new place.

Second, consider CO washing. A lot of conditioners are quite a bit like lotion, and it might be enough to tip the balance toward making your scalp more moisturized. If you shed a lot or it gets worse, stop and go back to shampoo. Not all scalps like it, but some really do.

Ophidian
July 8th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Honestly, that's about what I did Obsidian. I think that paying close attention to what's working and what's not is important of course, and if op has access to healthcare that's affordable than a dr's visit would of course be great. But that said the timing of the scalp issues seems closely related to the move. Juniperjetcat have you ever had this kind of issue before? I never had any scalp stuff until I moved from well water to harder city water. Now my skin tends to be much drier and I get scalp flaking if I don't regularly oil and massage. Going WO helped me too. Sulfate made it way worse. I wondered for a while if I had SD but decided to try some other diy stuff first, and have been happy with the results.

Again, seriously I am not advocating avoiding the doctor or sticking with diy stuff if it's not working. Just that I know that healthcare isn't equally accessible to everyone and I don't see the harm in trying, say rinsing in distilled water or getting a water filter, or oiling, or switching shampoo for a week or two to see if you see a positive change or not.

reilly0167
July 8th, 2016, 02:28 PM
I would follow up with a doctor just to rule things out. I live in Florida and the water is horrible here, before I moved here I lived in North Carolina and my hair fine, soft shiney, compared to here in Florida. I like doing coconut milk soak, its soothing and hydrating for me, maybe try that.