PDA

View Full Version : I chopped my hair off!

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 7th, 2016, 09:44 PM
So, I chopped my hair back to just past APL a few days ago (from somewhere between waist and hip length). And I couldn't be happier about it! As much as I love love love long hair, I wasn't loving my hair that long. My curls were very weighed down, and I just didn't like the way my hair looked down anymore. It was very flat and just... not what I imagined it would be... Not that I wear my hair down much anyways, but I want the option to do so. And detangling all that length was a chore, and I'd wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to move because my husband was laying on my braid... Basically it was becoming more of an annoyance to me than a joy.
I decided on this length as I can still do most of the things I really love to do in terms of styles, like dutch braids and french braids and french rope braids, but I can also wear it down much more easily, and I can do ponytail-based styles again without it hurting and pulling excessively. I've been waffling back and forth on whether I should cut it since last fall I think and the one thing that was really holding me back was that I didn't know if I'd still be able to use all my pretty hair sticks and forks. :tongue: Good news though, I totally can! I've had my hair in a peacock twist sort of thing held with a fork all day. So yay for that! :D
I plan on just maintaining at this length for the foreseeable future. I hope you all don't mind if I keep hanging out here even though I'm not actively growing my hair anymore and it's just kinda-sorta-not really long. I'm still mildly obsessed with hair care, and would like to maintain it in as healthy a condition as possible. And, there's lots of style inspiration here from other members who are around APL-ish.
Sorry I don't have any pics for now. I didn't take any of before the cut, since as I said I wasn't loving the way my hair looked down and so wasn't very inclined to take pictures of it, and I haven't had a chance yet to take any after. Not sure what the point of all this rambling is other than I'm happy and wanted to mark the occasion somehow. :o

Zindell
July 7th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Good for you! The most important thing is to be happy with your hair. :o

I love the lengths between APL and BSL. Maybe because I wear my hair down most of the time.
(I recently cut back from BSL'ish to a long bob to get rid of my last layers, but I'll let it grow out a bit now. I will probably end up somewhere between APL and BSL again, and then maintain there).

No reason to leave this forum! I won't. I love it here. ;)

lithostoic
July 7th, 2016, 11:19 PM
I'm almost BSL and I can only wear a stick if I first use a hairtie ... Teach me your ways.

kuroi
July 7th, 2016, 11:35 PM
If apl makes you happier then waist/hip that's fine. What you like is all that matters and of course you can hang around here. No one is gonna say apl is too short if it makes you happy.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 7th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Thank you Zindell. :flower:

lithostoic- I take my hair and twist it up into a peacock twist (just twisted up with the ends kind of fanning out the top), and then take the fork/stick and snag some scalp hair from the right side of twist and bring it over to the left and shove the stick down into the twist... I hope that makes sense.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 7th, 2016, 11:43 PM
If apl makes you happier then waist/hip that's fine. What you like is all that matters and of course you can hang around here. No one is gonna say apl is too short if it makes you happy.

thank you :)

Manuela L88
July 7th, 2016, 11:44 PM
I know how that feels. I did the last two times my hair cut from waist till schoulder . could not be happier it felt so good .

they cut 30/40 cm that I have donated to an organization that makes wigs for kids with cancer.:)

but this time I let it grow and watch if i like it too.

Nesoi
July 8th, 2016, 01:36 AM
I sometimes miss the ease of that length, so I get it! Peacock twists were my fave. Let us see pics soon!!

Arctic
July 8th, 2016, 03:03 AM
You are more than welcome to stay, we have lot of members who are satisfied with shorter lengths, me included.

Enjoy your new hair!

lapushka
July 8th, 2016, 03:52 AM
I always wonder what happens to those of us with curly hair past a certain length. Enjoy your new length. I'm sure your curls will love you for it.

Laurenji
July 8th, 2016, 08:45 AM
I'm almost BSL and I can only wear a stick if I first use a hairtie ... Teach me your ways.

It's all about hairtype. If you'll notice, the OP has 3a hair - pretty curly - whereas yours is 1b, fairly straight. Mine is 1a, and I couldn't use a hair fork until BSL, and I couldn't use sticks until I was well past waist; everything just slid right out. When you have curls, it holds things better.

OP, glad you love your new hair length! I did the same thing a couple years ago because I just couldn't handle how long it was. I've since grown it out again and learned some new ways to deal with it that make it easier for me, but I am all about your hair making you happy, rather than just being "as long as possible". I'm fully aware that since I've bleached & dyed my hair, I'm not going to be making it to terminal (or probably even thigh) any time soon, but I'm so happy with my hair the way it is now that I don't really care. You do you! And love your hair. :)

lapis_lazuli
July 8th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Glad you're happy with your new cut. It must be so nice to have fresh ends! :D Enjoy!

(and of course you can still hang out here, we should support each other at any length :))

mina01
July 8th, 2016, 10:54 AM
I am also thinking to chop my hair. My hair type is 3B and thinking to experience short hair after a long time. Anyway, good to know that you are happy with your new length.

Beborani
July 8th, 2016, 12:41 PM
I understand. My hair curled up well until waist to hip length (stretched) and it was a pleasure to wear it down at those lengths. Now, the longer it is, more often it is in a bun. Once I get tired of the length I will probably cut it back to those lengths.

browneyedsusan
July 8th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Wear it how YOU like it! :thumbsup:

I certainly can't throw any stones. I loved my pixies! :)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 8th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Thank you all for the support! :inlove:

It's all about hairtype. If you'll notice, the OP has 3a hair - pretty curly - whereas yours is 1b, fairly straight. Mine is 1a, and I couldn't use a hair fork until BSL, and I couldn't use sticks until I was well past waist; everything just slid right out. When you have curls, it holds things better.

This is a very good point. My hair does like to stick to itself, so that probably helps, lol.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 9th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Finally got a pic- happy to see my curls back!http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/lauren_alia/Mobile%20Uploads/Collage%202016-07-09%2017_15_48.jpg (http://s359.photobucket.com/user/lauren_alia/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Collage%202016-07-09%2017_15_48.jpg.html)

copperlites
July 9th, 2016, 06:33 PM
Oh wow! Absolutely gorgeous bouncy shiny curls. Your hair is beautiful.

turtlelover
July 9th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Finally got a pic- happy to see my curls back!http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/lauren_alia/Mobile%20Uploads/Collage%202016-07-09%2017_15_48.jpg (http://s359.photobucket.com/user/lauren_alia/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Collage%202016-07-09%2017_15_48.jpg.html)

It is very pretty, and not THAT short at all. You can still do a lot of stuff with it, and I agree that it flatters your curls!

lapis_lazuli
July 9th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Oh, your curls are fantastic, lauren_alia! I love it! :thumbsup:

TheLuckyLurker
July 9th, 2016, 08:31 PM
I chopped from waist to apl a few months ago, so I understand completely! It's funny, washing my hair every week felt like a huge burden at that length; at apl I'm using the exact same routine, but now it's no big deal. I think it's because at only apl it feels like an option (I'm going to trim it back every month anyway) rather than an obligation.

Spinder
July 9th, 2016, 09:08 PM

Gorgeous! I'm so glad you're happy with your new length. I think it is quite silly to have long hair if you don't like it that way (especially considering how much work it is to take care of)! Long hair certainly isn't for everyone, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! Most important is being happy and comfortable in our own bodies, and I am happy you are happier now :)

Manuela L88
July 9th, 2016, 11:24 PM
Your curl are so beautiful!! I love it

zashin66
July 9th, 2016, 11:50 PM
Your curls are beautiful.:D

lapushka
July 10th, 2016, 03:19 AM

That is really pretty. Wow, look at that ringlet in front! I'm a die-hard curl fan. ;) :D

Unzadi
July 10th, 2016, 07:32 AM
OP, those are some gorgeous curls there, and the current length shows them off to great advantage. IMO, the only right length is the one that pleases the wearer, and APL is certainly still long.

I chopped from BSL to shoulder in February, to get rid of damage and a funky hemline, and I was surprised how much I liked it. Almost to APL at present, as I do plan on seeing if I can get back to waist, but not sure how much of a hurry I am to get there. It's fun to play with different lengths, in either direction.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 10th, 2016, 02:29 PM
You guys are so sweet, thank you for all the lovely compliments. :o

Andthetalltrees
July 10th, 2016, 05:30 PM
You're hair looks gorgeous!
I chopped from waist+ to chin or neck length and kept it that short for over a year before deciding I was tired and wanted it long again, I get it. Thing about hair it's easily changed, Do whatever you want!

Sofialu
July 10th, 2016, 05:39 PM

Absolutely gorgeous colour and curls!! Did you lose quite a bit of curl then with the longer length? I'm interested because part of the reason why I want hip length hair is so my hair will be straighter. I dislike my natural waves (only on myself, I don't think it suits me at all) so I'm really hoping that with longer length, the wave will be much looser and stretched out so I can finally stop using straighteners :D

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 11th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Absolutely gorgeous colour and curls!! Did you lose quite a bit of curl then with the longer length? I'm interested because part of the reason why I want hip length hair is so my hair will be straighter. I dislike my natural waves (only on myself, I don't think it suits me at all) so I'm really hoping that with longer length, the wave will be much looser and stretched out so I can finally stop using straighteners :D
Thank you :) and yes, I would say that I lost a lot of curl... It still curled towards the ends, but pulled quite straight closer to the roots. Which maybe doesn't sound bad, but I don't think it was flattering on me. It never quit behaving like curly hair though. I felt like I had the negatives of curly hair (having to battle frizz and tangles) without the positives (volume and pretty curls).

lapushka
July 11th, 2016, 03:39 PM

Also depends on what kinds of products you use. I just found out that the Curl Enhancing Smoothie by Shea Moisture, does just that! It makes me go from 2b/c to 2c/3a! Which *I* like.

But yes, your waves will sag with length, and if you do nothing to enhance them, I think you could possibly use the straighteners on a lower temp. setting, maybe. I wouldn't go as far as: the waves will be all gone. But +length +sagging.

Sofialu
July 11th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Also depends on what kinds of products you use. I just found out that the Curl Enhancing Smoothie by Shea Moisture, does just that! It makes me go from 2b/c to 2c/3a! Which *I* like.

But yes, your waves will sag with length, and if you do nothing to enhance them, I think you could possibly use the straighteners on a lower temp. setting, maybe. I wouldn't go as far as: the waves will be all gone. But +length +sagging.

Thank you for the advice lapushka, that's encouraging to know :) I don't use anything but a cheap shampoo from Aldi and loreal sulphate free conditioner. My hair and skin are oily so products just seem to make them worse.

I dont mind if my hair will be slightly wavy at that length, like 1b/1c with loose waves forming lower down. I just really dislike the waves I have because they start right from the top of my head so frame my face and tbh Im not particularly attractive looking so I feel this makes me look worse.