PDA

View Full Version : My new routine... hair is sooo happy

tigress86
July 7th, 2016, 06:04 AM
I've been playing around with my routine lately and this is what I have done my last few washes, thought I'd share:

1. Co-wash with silicone and protein free conditioner
2. Add some water to the scalp, leave the conditioner on ends. Shampoo with low poo shampoo and rinse everything out.
3. Shampoo and rinse for the second time. I always prefer to shampoo twice with small amounts of shampoo each time, especially when I am using low poo. I feel like this gives me more control over keeping the shampoo on the scalp and unnecessary amount of suds away from the ends.
4. Apply conditioner (no protein, some amodimethicone) in towel dry hair, comb through with TT, rinse.
5. In soaking wet hair, apply the same conditioner once more to ends and squish. Then I only rinse quickly for a second or two, leaving a tiny amount of the conditioner on the hair.
6. Apply leave-in conditioner in soaking wet hair, also squishing (never got the same results applying it to damp hair), wrap in a t-shirt.
7. After some moisture is absorbed, I let my hair down, apply some oil on the ends and air dry.

Hair type: coarse, wavy, porous, damaged, protein sensitive.

I know this probably seems like there are so many (unnecessary) steps but after lots of trial and error this is what I've found to work best. My only concern is that perhaps I'll get build up fast using so many products. But so far my hair loves this and I am so happy :)

ephemeri
July 7th, 2016, 07:17 AM
I'm glad you're finding a routine that works well!

What leave-in conditioner do you use? I'm in the market for a new one. :)

lapushka
July 7th, 2016, 07:26 AM
It seems like there are a lot of steps to it, sure, but if it works for you, don't question it! :)

tigress86
July 7th, 2016, 07:54 AM
I'm glad you're finding a routine that works well!

What leave-in conditioner do you use? I'm in the market for a new one. :)

Currently I'm using L'oreal Extraordinary Oil-in-Cream. My old leave-in by Alfaparf was great too but it had wheat protein so I can't use it every time.

lapis_lazuli
July 7th, 2016, 08:40 AM
That is great!!! Thanks for sharing! :D

Arctic
July 7th, 2016, 09:40 AM
I've never realized you have also coarse hair(s). I'll need to take notes, I often get mine to feel and look nice but haven't quite been able to lay down a method how to do it.

Stepo_NiNha
July 7th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Good you found a routine that works for you :) build up can be easily solved with a clarifying shampoo once in a while :)

shaded in gray
July 7th, 2016, 12:39 PM
So many steps there, but seriously awesome that you found something that works really well for you! I'm curious, how long does this whole process take you and how often do you wash?

tigress86
July 7th, 2016, 01:27 PM
So many steps there, but seriously awesome that you found something that works really well for you! I'm curious, how long does this whole process take you and how often do you wash?

I wash my hair every three days and it doesn't take long at all - my hair is still quite short, I can imagine with longer hair it would be a hassle. Washing takes maybe 15 minutes + drying time in the t-shirt :)

shaded in gray
July 8th, 2016, 08:27 AM
That's not bad at all! :cool:

lapushka
July 8th, 2016, 09:54 AM
ephemeri, if you're interested in a leave-in that's affordable, try the got2b "smooth operator", I believe it's called. I love the stuff. I'm currently using other things, but I have my cupboard stocked with these! Does contain silicones, though!

ephemeri
July 8th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Currently I'm using L'oreal Extraordinary Oil-in-Cream. My old leave-in by Alfaparf was great too but it had wheat protein so I can't use it every time.

ephemeri, if you're interested in a leave-in that's affordable, try the got2b "smooth operator", I believe it's called. I love the stuff. I'm currently using other things, but I have my cupboard stocked with these! Does contain silicones, though!

Thank you both for the recommendations! lapushka, I have been thinking about trying silicones again, in some type of leave in or serum. The last time I used them was in a conditioner that had amodimethicone and my hair really loved it. But then I went full CG and gave up any and all silicones. I have used a coney curl cream and that did NOT work out well... I'm nervous about using heftier silicones like dimethicone but I might just give in and see what happens!

tigress86
July 9th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Here is a photo of my hair washed using this method and with a little encouragement - a curl lotion instead of leave in. Nothing sensational, but I just never got my natural texture to look any good before this. I think squishing products into soaking wet hair and then leaving it the heck alone is the key.
http://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1.0-9/13600170_1056799647702784_3549990861695555806_n.jp g?oh=6526d9fbbe821f32eddea8f77bc5c82d&oe=57ECE6E8

lapushka
July 9th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Thank you both for the recommendations! lapushka, I have been thinking about trying silicones again, in some type of leave in or serum. The last time I used them was in a conditioner that had amodimethicone and my hair really loved it. But then I went full CG and gave up any and all silicones. I have used a coney curl cream and that did NOT work out well... I'm nervous about using heftier silicones like dimethicone but I might just give in and see what happens!

These are the ingredients for the "smooth operator":
Aqua (Water), Cyclopentasiloxane, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Dimethicone, Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Glycerin, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyquaternium-46, PVP, Stearalkonium Chloride, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 80, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Hydrolyzed Wool, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Alcohol Denat., Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Parfum (Fragrance), Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol.

The alcohol in it is a drying one, but I don't seem to mind. It doesn't dry out my hair at all. It's been a while since I've used it, but believe me, it's in my stash... in numbers. :lol:

ephemeri
July 9th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Here is a photo of my hair washed using this method and with a little encouragement - a curl lotion instead of leave in. Nothing sensational, but I just never got my natural texture to look any good before this. I think squishing products into soaking wet hair and then leaving it the heck alone is the key.
http://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1.0-9/13600170_1056799647702784_3549990861695555806_n.jp g?oh=6526d9fbbe821f32eddea8f77bc5c82d&oe=57ECE6E8

It looks great!!

tigress86
July 10th, 2016, 03:30 AM
Thank you ephemeri :)