PDA

View Full Version : New hair type...?

leilan
July 6th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Hi all!

So I relocated to Texas about a year and a half ago. Just last month, I began an experiment with shampoo bars. I suspect that a combination of the humidity and the lack of cones and conditioner led to some waves emerging!

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab243/kicamh/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06/20160607_000914_zpsxn8wwvd1.jpg

I'm not sure why the waves are only from my temples to my shoulders, though. I don't believe it is from build-up, as I have washed the length several times. I guess that I'm a 1b/1c? This picture was taken just after washing, without me doing anything to it, even touching it. As soon as I even finger detangle, though, the waves are pulled out enough that there's only a very slight wave left. I should also mention that I do not get the same amount of wave definition every time. Sometimes I barely have any wave to start with. It's different after every wash. Soooo what should I do? I've had straight hair my whole life, so finding these waves is SUPER exciting! How can I bring them out?

Anje
July 6th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Wavier than 1b/1c, because that looks like wavy hair, not straight hair that has a little wiggle to it. I'm thinking maybe 2a/2b or something like that. 2a doesn't usually organize into distinct waves until below the shoulders, and it usually has a longer wavelength than that, so I think you're approaching 2b.

The straight ends are interesting. Could be that your hair has changed texture (it happens!), could be that maybe they've got damage that's keeping them from behaving the same way.

leilan
July 6th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Wow! I never thought I'd end up in the 2's!

I thought it was weird that the ends are still straight... I don't think it's from damage; My hair is completely virgin except for some minor highlights I had put in in December. The lightened strands are waving, as well, and there's no other damage I can recall. While I tend to be a bit lax on protecting my ends, I don't do anything chemically or mechanically damaging. So either there's some really stubborn build-up (I doubt it) or my hair just decided to change its type.

Obsidian
July 6th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Shampoo bars are known to bring out curls, not sure why but its a thing. Mine did the same thing but the bars were damaging my hair, very badly.

leilan
July 6th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Well shampoo bars definitely brought out some waves on me! I'd be interested to know why. Must go google...

How were they damaging your hair, Obsidian? This is my biggest concern about using them. They are very alkaline and I don't want to cause irreversible damage...

lapushka
July 7th, 2016, 05:43 AM
Well shampoo bars definitely brought out some waves on me! I'd be interested to know why. Must go google...

How were they damaging your hair, Obsidian? This is my biggest concern about using them. They are very alkaline and I don't want to cause irreversible damage...

Just be diligent with your ACV afterwards, and it should be fine. It's YMMV as it is on all things.

leilan
July 7th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Just be diligent with your ACV afterwards, and it should be fine. It's YMMV as it is on all things.

I always do a 1:8 ACV rinse after washing. I just don't want to keep doing this routine only to find out in a few months that they were damaging my hair. I know it's pretty much trial and error.

I'm thinking about trying a gelatin protein treatment on my hair. I've always avoided protein for some reason, but I've been reading the Sciency Hair Blog and it seems that protein can be helpful to those with thin hair. I'm hoping that it will help those delicate waves hold their shape for longer than ten minutes!

Obsidian
July 7th, 2016, 12:40 PM

The high PH eventually damaged the cuticle to the point that my hair started breaking off in chunks, I ended have to chop all my hair back to 1". ACV rinses equalize the PH of your hair/scalp but it won't prevent long term damage. Some people can use shampoo bars with no trouble, for other its a disaster. Just watch your hair real close for damage.

leilan
July 7th, 2016, 05:03 PM
The high PH eventually damaged the cuticle to the point that my hair started breaking off in chunks, I ended have to chop all my hair back to 1". ACV rinses equalize the PH of your hair/scalp but it won't prevent long term damage. Some people can use shampoo bars with no trouble, for other its a disaster. Just watch your hair real close for damage.

Oh gosh, that's awful! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. :( I will definitely be careful if I stick with poo bars!

Do you think that my waves will disappear if I stop with the poo bars?