PDA

View Full Version : Non-frequent washers that participate in "dirty" activities

shaded in gray
July 6th, 2016, 08:30 AM
That headline reads a little odd, but hear me out. I have horses that I ride 4 times per week, sometimes in a very dusty indoor arena and sometimes out in the open fields. Either way, my hair sees a lot of dirt, dust, and wind.

This makes it increasingly hard for me to stretch my wash days, and if I try rinsing only, my hair is a tangled mess and I end up pulling more out than I would probably lose just from washing it. My scalp does not appreciate this, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Does anyone else have a similar dilemma? What do you do to overcome this?

embee
July 6th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I have had this problem with gardening, only it's mostly sweat that gets to me. I wear my hair up, & wear a sunhat. If things get just too icky I'll do a scalp rinse (with my length in a topknot covered by plastic to keep it dry). The length doesn't get dirty as it's up and protected.

triumphator!
July 6th, 2016, 08:47 AM
I am also a horseback rider. What's your discipline? I wear a helmet with a hairnet, so my hair mostly gets sweaty and footing dust doesn't get into my hair. Beyond recommending you ride in a helmet for noggin protection, it will help protect your hair from grime too. If that simply isn't for you, put your hair in a braided bun and cover your head with a scarf or bandana. That will at least keep the elements away.

I have a few suggestions for cleansing - the first being a "mermaid soak" (put your head in water and let it sit for a bit, instead of vigorous washing) to loosen dirt and such from your scalp, but with your length in a braid that has a very loose base (like start the braid far from your scalp). A wand on your showerhead may be even more helpful if your hair is in a loose braid. Then maybe a light conditioner wash on the scalp if it still feels unclean afterward?

Chromis
July 6th, 2016, 08:47 AM
If I am somewhere dirty/dusty, especially if it is also windy I wear a headtube (like a Buff) or a bandanna. Keeps all those little wispies out of my eyes too or feeling gross stuck to my face with sweat.

missrandie
July 6th, 2016, 08:51 AM
I use a buff when I'm doing dirty stuff,like mowing the outyard back home. The rest of me may be filthy, but my hair is grit free!

Another option is a pony scrub.

genlilliana
July 6th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I put my hair up and cover it when I do dirty work...sometimes, if I haven't done that for some reason, I'll rinse and condition my hair to refresh it. Mostly I put it up and cover it.

Obsidian
July 6th, 2016, 09:01 AM
If your hair is already wet from rinsing, why not just wash it? I'm trying to understand why washing is so frowned upon? I ride ATV's and get very, very dusty and my hairs tangle something terrible. Using a buff under my helmet keeps things cleaner and helps keep the helmet from rubbing my hair into a giant tangle.

shaded in gray
July 6th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I am also a horseback rider. What's your discipline? I wear a helmet with a hairnet, so my hair mostly gets sweaty and footing dust doesn't get into my hair. Beyond recommending you ride in a helmet for noggin protection, it will help protect your hair from grime too. If that simply isn't for you, put your hair in a braided bun and cover your head with a scarf or bandana. That will at least keep the elements away.

I have a few suggestions for cleansing - the first being a "mermaid soak" (put your head in water and let it sit for a bit, instead of vigorous washing) to loosen dirt and such from your scalp, but with your length in a braid that has a very loose base (like start the braid far from your scalp). A wand on your showerhead may be even more helpful if your hair is in a loose braid. Then maybe a light conditioner wash on the scalp if it still feels unclean afterward?

Traditionally a hunter/jumper/eventer, but slowly crossing over into western at the moment. I do sometimes ride with a helmet and my hair up in it, but the longer it gets, the harder that is! Thank you for the suggestions, these are helpful.

Does anyone have any links to good ways to cover your hair with a bandana or something similar? This sounds like it would probably be the most viable option. I've also tried a braid and a cowboy hat before and that works decently well for now. ;)

Chromis
July 6th, 2016, 09:07 AM
My length gets dry if I wash too much and my scalp protests.

I prefer to simply cover it, the sweat does not bother me or smell (and trust me, my husband would be the first to tell me!), but if I went swimming in salt water, I would just rinse.

samanthaa
July 6th, 2016, 09:13 AM
A hairnet under your helmet might help with the tangles? Braids too.

Maybe you can boar bristle brush your hair, dampening it if necessary (you can create a spray bottle with essential oils for scent, and some oils for slip if you're encountering tangles), to brush out some of the dirt between washes. And dry shampoo on the scalp and/or length when necessary. I exercise 5 days/week currently (trying to get up to 6 or 7), and I sweat heavily each time, but I've had success stretching shampoos to once per week with a midweek co-wash. I do sometimes water-wash between the shampoo and the co-wash, but I'll typically put conditioner on the length to avoid tangles.

Nini
July 6th, 2016, 10:06 AM
As a dairy farmer I braided my hair and put it up in a low beebutt bun with a scunchi. Covered that with a Buff and kept a cap on top as the brim was helpful keeping the tail out of my face while milking.

While it was shorter I braided it, coiled the braid around my head as far as it went, and put my cap on top.

Google the Buff and you'll find a number of ways to wear it:)

Impulsive
July 6th, 2016, 10:32 AM
I used to have this problem when I first began my job. I joked that I would leave for work a brunette and come back looking like a blond because of all the sand/dirt that would get into my hair. I started wearing a scarf wrapped around my head. I've found it works well and is comfortable enough that I usually leave it on long after I come home from work.

PixieP
July 6th, 2016, 12:17 PM
One of my friends have 3b hair that has been midback as long as I can remember. When we both did riding in our teens, she wore her hair in a low ponytail. Over that she put a knee-high knit stocking with the toe cut off; a scrunchie around the ponytail base on top of the stocking kept it in place. She did it mainly because her hair got so tangled (she hates braids). But it kept dust out of it too!

Cg
July 6th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I bun my hair and wear a broad-brimmed hat to garden. It does keep out dirt, but mainly I don't want uninvited six- or eight-legged guests dropping from tree limbs into my hair.

trolleypup
July 6th, 2016, 06:39 PM
...Another option is a pony scrub.
Pony scrub for me. Good for hiking and trailwork (dirty, bashing through brush, etc) often worn with a hardhat (actually a climbing helmet). So hair gets sweaty but not dirty...dry here so it dries out quickly...scalp is OK with that, so the washes remain about weekly. The pony scrubs (cotton) sop up a lot of the sweat and get pretty crusty. Dianayla uses a buff over bun under a helmet for riding.

lithostoic
July 6th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Cowashing.

RebekahE
July 6th, 2016, 06:53 PM
I ride horses every day pretty much (most of the time I ride 2-5 a day). If you can wear your hair up when you're riding I would cover it with a scarf. My hair, however, refuses to be contained in a bun. It likes to flop in a braid, so what I did was I made a bag out of silk (kind of like a horse tailbag) for my braid. It works! I wear a hat or tie a scarf/handkerchief on my head to keep my scalp clean. And I only have to wash my hair every 5-7 days. It's kind of a win-win for me. I get to wear my hair braided (can you tell I love braids), it is protected from the sun and it doesn't get caught on stuff or rub back and forth causing friction.

Ana H.
July 6th, 2016, 08:54 PM
If you do what the others say and cover your hair up, the only problem left would be the sweat. If your hair looks oily after the sweat dries... Dry shampoo works WONDERS! It’s probably magic. I’m surprised nobody mentioned it. If, like me, you don’t like using products in aerosol cans you can use a powder form. It’s a little less convenient than the spray but still AWESOME. This is the one I use and it’s completely natural (in case you’re into that.:)) http://myhairdance.com/products/dry-shampoo. It also gives me mega volume and smells like lavender. I’ve also heard good things about this one if you don’t mind the spray cans: https://www.amazon.com/Batiste-Dry-Shampoo-Original-Fragrance/dp/B008D5HAHU/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1467860051&sr=1-3&keywords=batiste+dry+shampoo

Zebra Fish
July 7th, 2016, 02:17 AM
I used to ride quite a lot and never had problems with hair. Tbh, I never even thought about that and would wash once a week. I still do work with farm animals, athough not often and depends of the farm I go to, but I often use a buff - it does the trick in the clean part and me not thinking if sth is walking in the hair, but doesn't help with smell. As I never minded the smell of horses and well kept cows, I don't have problem with that. But if it is a smelly cow stable or pig stable, I need to wash. If I go 5 days in a row, I will buff and wash the last day, as fresh washed hair keeps smells like crazy and it is hard to wash them out (especially from a dolphin cadaver xD).
I think a buff ot what RebekahE suggested would do the trick.

morrigan*
July 7th, 2016, 02:36 AM
I would suggest covering hair too.

I ride too and for last month i use hair net under helmet. I use one like that (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJNOyqAvAY).
It's really great, and my hair don't get trashed like while wearing a braid.
I don't mind sweat, because it doesn't make my hair oily.

Elly May
July 7th, 2016, 03:43 AM
When I ride, I wear a helmet over a cheap "satin" (not!) cap from the ethnic section at walmart--I think they are $2-3.

PixieP
July 7th, 2016, 05:54 AM
If you do what the others say and cover your hair up, the only problem left would be the sweat. If your hair looks oily after the sweat dries... Dry shampoo works WONDERS! It’s probably magic. I’m surprised nobody mentioned it. If, like me, you don’t like using products in aerosol cans you can use a powder form. It’s a little less convenient than the spray but still AWESOME. This is the one I use and it’s completely natural (in case you’re into that.:)) http://myhairdance.com/products/dry-shampoo. It also gives me mega volume and smells like lavender. I’ve also heard good things about this one if you don’t mind the spray cans: https://www.amazon.com/Batiste-Dry-Shampoo-Original-Fragrance/dp/B008D5HAHU/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1467860051&sr=1-3&keywords=batiste+dry+shampoo

I do not recommend the Batiste ones. They work, and they are cheap, but they are SO heavily perfumed. My hair stinked off them for days, even after washing the hair again. And I found it hard to breathe in my bathroom after using them, the perfume was so strong in the air.

For applying powdered ones, I find a big makeup brush (for blusher/rouge) to work very well. Dip it in the powder, tap of the excess, and brush over partings in the hair. Leave it for 5-10 minutes, and then carefully massage the scalp. That way I don't need to brush it out after; my red hair is a tiiiiiny bit lighter at the roots, but no-one but me notices.

triumphator!
July 7th, 2016, 09:03 AM
I would suggest covering hair too.

I ride too and for last month i use hair net under helmet. I use one like that (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJNOyqAvAY).
It's really great, and my hair don't get trashed like while wearing a braid.
I don't mind sweat, because it doesn't make my hair oily.

Yesssssssssss that is the best hairnet on planet earth! I love mine! :crush:

Ana H.
July 7th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I do not recommend the Batiste ones. They work, and they are cheap, but they are SO heavily perfumed. My hair stinked off them for days, even after washing the hair again. And I found it hard to breathe in my bathroom after using them, the perfume was so strong in the air.

For applying powdered ones, I find a big makeup brush (for blusher/rouge) to work very well. Dip it in the powder, tap of the excess, and brush over partings in the hair. Leave it for 5-10 minutes, and then carefully massage the scalp. That way I don't need to brush it out after; my red hair is a tiiiiiny bit lighter at the roots, but no-one but me notices.

Good to know! I've never tried it but I definitely hate heavily perfumed products.

By the way, what's a "pony wash"?

Chromis
July 7th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Good to know! I've never tried it but I definitely hate heavily perfumed products.

By the way, what's a "pony wash"?

Pony scrub? http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/scrub-hats/womens-surgical-scrub-hats/pony-collection/

They cover your hair and allow you to have your hair covered up, but not interfering with a helmet. They are easy to wash too since they are meant for doctors and nurses and such.

shaded in gray
July 7th, 2016, 12:37 PM

Thank you! I actually have the Hair Dance dry shampoo too, but haven't used it much yet. :)

When I was completely natural with my hair products (before I dyed my hair again, UGH), I used their shampoo and it was hands down the best stuff. My hair looked amazing. Unfortunately their stuff doesn't work on my hair if it's processed at all. I'm working on growing it all back out so I can use their shampoo again.

Ana H.
July 7th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Pony scrub? http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/scrub-hats/womens-surgical-scrub-hats/pony-collection/

They cover your hair and allow you to have your hair covered up, but not interfering with a helmet. They are easy to wash too since they are meant for doctors and nurses and such.

Oh! Haha! Silly me! I thought it was a method of washing your hair or something, which is why I confused the name. Duh!

Ana H.
July 7th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Thank you! I actually have the Hair Dance dry shampoo too, but haven't used it much yet. :)

When I was completely natural with my hair products (before I dyed my hair again, UGH), I used their shampoo and it was hands down the best stuff. My hair looked amazing. Unfortunately their stuff doesn't work on my hair if it's processed at all. I'm working on growing it all back out so I can use their shampoo again.

Cool. I haven’t gotten to try their shampoo but it’s been on my list since I loved the dry shampoo so much.

Chromis
July 7th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Oh! Haha! Silly me! I thought it was a method of washing your hair or something, which is why I confused the name. Duh!

Haha, I can totally see it though! We have plenty of other funny names for washing methods after all :lol:

morrigan*
July 7th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Yesssssssssss that is the best hairnet on planet earth! I love mine! :crush:

I wear it ever since i got it :inlove:
I only need to master putting it on. But it cuts down on tangles and mechanical damage a lot.