PDA

View Full Version : "D*mned if you 'poo, d*mned if you don't."

ephemeri
July 6th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Here's an interesting article I found (http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/07/the-unfortunate-reality-of-dry-shampoo/489989/) regarding dry shampoo and hair loss. I've never used dry shampoo but it does seem like the more oil is clogging your follicles, the more likely you'll have shedding.

Thoughts? Stories?

lapushka
July 6th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Yes, on freshly washed hair, day 1, day 2, minimal shed; the more the week progresses and the scalp gets more coated in sebum, the more hair falls out. It's normal. You can't let it get too too oily though, somewhere there is a happy medium in there for when it's time to wash. As long as the hairloss is within the range of normal, I wouldn't worry about it. Me? I lose a lot of hair pre-wash (detangling), during the wash and after the wash. Which is probably why I don't shed so much on day 1 & 2. :shrug: I would avoid more shampooing, if you can avoid it, because that whole process makes you lose a lot of hair as well! Don't forget that part of it.

Inga-Marjukka
July 6th, 2016, 07:33 AM
I've never over-used dry shampoo because I think it has always made my hair really sticky and impossible to make look nice because it's so heavy. I've used specific hair powder for volume at times, it's not even supposed to be a cleaning product but a little bit of it in the roots is magic. Anyway, it's not a surprise that too much of something is not good and I don't have a hard time believing that a product of such buildup-capabilities can make your scalp freak out. I really don't know what to say about the bit that concerns "training" your hair for fewer washes, since I wash everyday and washing more rarely just hasn't worked.

shaded in gray
July 6th, 2016, 08:25 AM
I'm always amazed at the people who can use dry shampoo a few days in a row and get decent looking hair out of it. My hair will cooperate with dry shampoo for a couple of hours, but then my hair just looks very sad and it'll get worse in the days following. :(

samanthaa
July 6th, 2016, 11:23 AM
This article rings of "duh" to me. As Inga-Marjukka, too much of something is never a good thing. And this girl sounds like she went way over the top. You can't just throw dry shampoo into your hair and expect never to have to wash your hair again. I'm exaggerating, but this seemed to be this girl's expectation.

As for the stretching washes to produce less oil thing, I'm sure that's a YMMV thing. There are way too many success stories on this forum alone to say it's not possible (I myself have had success stretching washes). And, of course, there are many, many people who wash frequently.

chantecler
July 6th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I think this article is just very sensationalist. Honnestly, I think that dry shampoo is great for stretching washes when you have an event or something where your hair just can't look greasy. Of course having a powder buildup on your scalp for too long can't be great, of course you shouldn't use just dry shampoo, but does that mean it's necessarily evil? Of course not!

I also think that a one size fits all answer as to how frequently you should use shampoo is just not possible, and so claiming it should be every two days or less means nothing. For some people every day is fine, for some others every week is fine. I am also inclined to say that for some people "training" your scalp to stretch washes works, to varying degrees of course. I myself have experimented, and though I can't reach five days or a week, three or four is fine, while I used to wash every day.

Basically, a lot of people try to give one guideline that applies to everyone, and that just can't be done when talking about hair care.

nakima
July 6th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I tried dry shampoo one time. My hair was dry with lots of static and it just didn't feel right. Not a fan! it reminded me of the good old days when people put baby powder in their hair to stretch washes. My hair didn't like that either, maybe because my hair is fine? :shrug:

Entangled
July 6th, 2016, 02:40 PM
I tried dry shampoo one time. My hair was dry with lots of static and it just didn't feel right. Not a fan! it reminded me of the good old days when people put baby powder in their hair to stretch washes. My hair didn't like that either, maybe because my hair is fine? :shrug:
My mom used to do that! Unfortunately, I've had ashier hair for quite a while, and the cornstarch just made it look grey.

vampyyri
July 6th, 2016, 03:27 PM
I used to be an avid dry shampoo/baby powder user in between washes... now I just kind of fluff the roots and go, and fluff as I need during the day. Having that stuff in my hair just made my hair too texturized, and it went limp again anyway.

meteor
July 6th, 2016, 04:10 PM
I don't particularly like adding any powders/sprays on my scalp, if I can help it, so I usually go for Scalp Only washes with diluted shampoo instead (with the length braided or bunned and covered with plastic wrap/cap) or wash only the front/hairline. I find that Scalp Only washes, unlike dry shampoos, actually clean the scalp instead of simply absorbing some oil/sweat and adding texture.

Adorkable One
July 6th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I've never had much luck with dry shampoo. It's always made my hair look worse. When my hair is greasy, at least I can comb it back and put it up, and you can't really tell. If I use dry shampoo, it just makes my hair look dull and sticky. I'm just not a fan. Plus, though I can rarely smell sebum....once it's mixed with some floral perfume, it smells awful to me. Lol.

Anyway, I blame her misuse of dry shampoo on the general marketing towards haircare in general. So to her, washing hair, waiting a day, using dry shampoo, and repeating...seemed logical to her, because that's how it's marketed. I think of how I USED to think of hair care....to how I think of it now, and it's two completely different worlds. I grew up, strictly washing my hair every night with shampoo and conditioner. I didn't learn otherwise until college, when I was about 19 years old. I'm 26 now. So in less than 10 years, my ideas about hair have done a complete 360.

What's funny to me, is watching the conventional haircare market try and catch up to the not so standard practices people like us have learned. It started with SLS free stuff...then dry shampoos started appearing on shelves...now even oils are finding their way into shampoos. It's interesting to see how strong of an impact we consumers have. :)

DoomKitty
July 6th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Seems to me she was using it as a shampoo replacement...of course if you use it day after day it's going to build up and cause problems!

Ana H.
July 6th, 2016, 09:06 PM
I haven’t had any problem with using dry shampoo. I love it! But I definitely don’t keep adding more. I wait till it gets oily, usually morning of day 3. Then I apply dry shampoo powder, let it sit and brush it out. Then my hair looks clean for two more days and then I wash. No need to reapply! I’m sure it’s terrible to keep piling layers of it on but it’s NOT necessary.

Also, I haven’t had any stickiness problems with the one I use. It’s arrowroot powder based.

turtlelover
July 6th, 2016, 09:15 PM
I hate the texture of it, so mostly use it for clump-y bangs and around my hairline. I can't imagine using it to do anything but stretch a wash another half day to a day.

Briniel
July 7th, 2016, 12:12 AM
I haven’t had any problem with using dry shampoo. I love it! But I definitely don’t keep adding more. I wait till it gets oily, usually morning of day 3. Then I apply dry shampoo powder, let it sit and brush it out. Then my hair looks clean for two more days and then I wash. No need to reapply! I’m sure it’s terrible to keep piling layers of it on but it’s NOT necessary.

I do the same when there's an appointment/event to go to but I don't want to wash yet. No problems at all (except with one brand that made me cough like mad, but my hair was fine ;) ), I was amazed the first time I tried it how fresh my hair looked!

polarnatt
July 7th, 2016, 02:33 AM
I disliked the article as a whole, lol. I don't use dry shampoo because "society insists me to look perfect all the time", but because I prefer to have slightly less greasy roots at the back of my head for my third or fourth day hair before I go wash it. I could go on for hours about this whole "society forces me to do X and Y and women only do things regarding their looks because of society's beauty norms" but oh well, it's not what this thread is about.

Duh, if you cake up dry shampoo for days in a row, of course it's going to do something nasty. You wouldn't just add up deodorant for days without washing in between and expect your armpits not to protest. :lol:

JustPam
July 7th, 2016, 07:41 AM
Too much of anything will give you problems. I use dry shampoo 1 or 2 times a week, but never on consecutive days. I wet wash 3 times a week and use dry shampoo on the morning of (or night before) wash night if need be so it looks ok for work. I also try to avoid spraying it directly onto my scalp.

Ana H.
July 7th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I do the same when there's an appointment/event to go to but I don't want to wash yet. No problems at all (except with one brand that made me cough like mad, but my hair was fine ;) ), I was amazed the first time I tried it how fresh my hair looked!

Same here! I was amazed too! I bet that girl was thinking of it in the mindset of washing your hair every morning... So every morning she didn't feel like washing she'd spray dry shampoo and repeat it day after day. Yuck!

Angelica
July 7th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Currently I am using "Aveda" dry shampoo. Once a week is enough though to use it and it helps to stretch the washes. I've used others too. Aveda is very much like talc, but then I also love talc. I have not noticed any more shedding because of it. It adds body to my very fine, thin hair (texture of my hair has not changed since childhood).