PDA

View Full Version : Looking for photos of double process henna'd BLACK HAIR.

LillithTheFirst
July 6th, 2016, 12:22 AM
Im thinking of double the double process to get black hair. At the moment I do a very dark combination of indigo/henna single process but can't find any good photos of double process black.

For those that do do it how annoying is it? Does the indigo fade to a dark brown?

Thanks

TatsuOni
July 6th, 2016, 12:45 AM
For me I had to do the two step process many times to get black hair. Now the ends still fades a little, but that's only visible in bright light.

https://cdn3.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/2_5753f5ce9606ee79d386ea37.jpg

LillithTheFirst
July 6th, 2016, 01:44 AM
The colour looks great! I was worried that it would look like an unnatural black, like it does with box dyes. I like how it does fade a little cause it looks a little more natural I suppose. How's the regrowth?

littlestarface
July 6th, 2016, 02:02 AM
For me indigo was a flat black, like it didnt have any highlights in it at all but it did have a nice shine and it got very black and very permanent after 3 applications but boy is it messy and a beast. I like my henna to shine through so I quit the indigo ride, even tho my hair is already black I do like some nice henna red in the light.

TatsuOni
July 6th, 2016, 06:40 AM
The colour looks great! I was worried that it would look like an unnatural black, like it does with box dyes. I like how it does fade a little cause it looks a little more natural I suppose. How's the regrowth?

Do you mean roots?

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/1_5774e2a4ddf2b31152f0e91a.jpg

ephemeri
July 6th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Here's my messy, failed french braid attempt that shows the color pretty well. I do 2-step henna then indigo every other week on my roots: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23794&d=1467590948

It's in the sunlight but for some reason the quality isn't great, sorry about that. It looks mostly black but it's actually a really really REALLY dark brown that is on the warm side. There are parts that are a little burgundy or just lighter in general when the sun hits it, either because it's an area that still has box dye underneath, or it's an area that I maybe sort of missed, or it's an area with more gray....I'm not sure! But I have a lot of white hairs.

ETA: The two step process is kind of annoying mainly because it's time consuming. I mix the indigo until it's 'pancake batter' consistency and I put it in one of those application bottles that you can buy at a beauty supply store. It has a tilted tip so it makes it easy to apply. I put my hair in three sections and do one section at a time. I will run the tip of the bottle down my part, use a hair dye brush thingie to spread the indigo evenly, then take a small amount of hair and flip it to create the next 'part'.... hopefully that makes sense. I end up putting rows of indigo along my roots and spreading it with the brush. Then I wrap in plastic wrap, put one of those wide fabric headbands along the edges of the plastic wrap to catch drips, and put a black knitted winter hat over top to keep the heat in. I only leave it in for 2 hours. It does fade on my roots fairly quickly to a medium brown, because my roots are so light. But they will get covered again the next time I do it and after the second time they are permanently dark like the rest of my hair.

LillithTheFirst
July 6th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Do you generally leave the henna on for 6-8 hours, wash, then dry, then apply indigo and leave it on for an hour all in the same day? I know some people do it over two days....
It's really a whole day thing. Do you suggest when you first go black that you do the double process twice close together so you get a solid black?

TatsuOni
July 6th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Do you generally leave the henna on for 6-8 hours, wash, then dry, then apply indigo and leave it on for an hour all in the same day? I know some people do it over two days....
It's really a whole day thing. Do you suggest when you first go black that you do the double process twice close together so you get a solid black?

I have my henna in for three to four hours. Then wash out and then indigo for three to four hours.

reilly0167
July 6th, 2016, 07:28 AM
For me indigo was a flat black, like it didnt have any highlights in it at all but it did have a nice shine and it got very black and very permanent after 3 applications but boy is it messy and a beast. I like my henna to shine through so I quit the indigo ride, even tho my hair is already black I do like some nice henna red in the light.

Love the shine.

reilly0167
July 6th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Ephemeri, looks like blue/black its beautiful, when I used to box dye and I fancied a black color, I went for the blue/ black. But I always changed up colors back then. I'm married to henna now and we living happily hairy after.

ephemeri
July 6th, 2016, 07:36 AM

I do 2 hours of henna then 2 hours of indigo. I experimented a lot to find the least amount of time I had to leave them both on to get the color I wanted. It doesn't seem that if I leave the indigo on longer that it will stay better, it just has to be done twice on me. :/

It really depends on what color you're starting with. If your hair is already dark, you probably only need to do it once. If it's mostly white like mine, then you'd likely have to do it twice to get to stay black longer than a few days (it also depends on how frequently you wash or co-wash).

LillithTheFirst
July 6th, 2016, 07:44 AM
My ends are fairly dark already (very very dark brown) from hendigo but my regrowth/faded hair is a medium brown with a only few white hairs, so maybe I'll only need to do it once and touch up the roots when needed.... Now I feel like I've been processing the henna too long on my head now! I used to do 8 hours! It gave me the worst headache! Will see how I go with 3 hours with each processing.... :) I'm excited to try it!