PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Encourage My Mom? (Pics)

kittengirl
July 5th, 2016, 07:30 PM
I went back to my parents' house this weekend, and as part of my mom's birthday present, did some hair and skin treatments for her. Before we started she told me that she was going to cut her hair again, into the "typical" older lady short cut that seems so popular here. She was afraid that her hair was ageing her and thought it didn't look good. She will be 66 in a few days. I think her hair is gorgeous and I love her silver color. It is quite damaged due to her using heat and hot tools regularly, but now she says she will stop using those as she likes what I did with her hair. I trimmed a bit, S&D'd, did a protein treatment and SMT followed by air drying. She really likes the results and thinks she may want to keep her hair, but I was wondering if any of you could offer her some tips or encouragement. She is not looking to get her hair too long, at this point I am just trying to convince her that her hair actually makes her look younger. She also always wears it down because she does not like her profile with her hair up, though it really does look nice. I could not trim all the damage since that would have taken all her length, but I think I got her off to a better start.
This pic is from today, after all the treatments and trimming:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23817&d=1467768331

spidermom
July 5th, 2016, 07:46 PM
Oh my goodness; can I just say WOW! Truly gorgeous hair, and if you don't like how your hair looks when it's put up, consider that your look will be very similar to hair worn pulled up and back if you cut it short, and you will have no choices.

Ana H.
July 5th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Oh my, it’s beautiful. I love grey hair. Cross my fingers. I’m 23 so I don’t have any tips on caring for aging hair but I can say that my mom has grey hair a little shorter than your’s and she always gets compliments on her hair color, even from total strangers. When I go grey, I don’t plan on covering it up or cutting it short. It’s a beautiful color and you can tell her that lots of younger people are dying their hair grey nowadays. Just check Pinterest.

As for the length, I don’t agree that long hair ages you. I don’t understand why they say short hair makes older women seem younger. Maybe short hair would look better if your hair became thin and stringy due to age related hair loss. But her hair looks nice and full and more length only shows off the beautiful color. I just remembered a youtube video I saw about blonde hair care that mentioned that shampoos and conditioners with purple pigment are good for keeping blonde or white or grey hair vibrant and counteracting any yellowing from pollution and minerals. For whatever that’s worth. I think my grandma used a purple shampoo made for grey/white hair.

Ana H.
July 5th, 2016, 07:59 PM
Haha... I thought of that too.:) Unless it was a bob but I don’t think thats a “typical” older woman haircut. (I don’t know how to delete my double message. Whatever.)

Ana H.
July 5th, 2016, 08:00 PM
Oh my goodness; can I just say WOW! Truly gorgeous hair, and if you don't like how your hair looks when it's put up, consider that your look will be very similar to hair worn pulled up and back if you cut it short, and you will have no choices.

Haha... I thought of that too.:) Unless it was a bob but I don’t think thats a “typical” older woman haircut.

Anje
July 5th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Wow, I love that! I hope my hair gets to look like that when I'm older. Long silver hair is so elegant.

RebekahE
July 5th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Oooh! That is breathtaking! Please beg her not to cut it, it is beautiful!

Chromis
July 5th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Add me to the :thudpile:

And yes, I agree that she has a lot more options with it longer than she would if she cuts it short. Besides, what is more elegant than silver hair in a neat French twist?

kittengirl
July 5th, 2016, 08:35 PM
M mom was so grateful for your comment! She was so thrilled someone responded to the post, lol.

Oh my, it’s beautiful. I love grey hair. Cross my fingers. I’m 23 so I don’t have any tips on caring for aging hair but I can say that my mom has grey hair a little shorter than your’s and she always gets compliments on her hair color, even from total strangers. When I go grey, I don’t plan on covering it up or cutting it short. It’s a beautiful color and you can tell her that lots of younger people are dying their hair grey nowadays. Just check Pinterest.

As for the length, I don’t agree that long hair ages you. I don’t understand why they say short hair makes older women seem younger. Maybe short hair would look better if your hair became thin and stringy due to age related hair loss. But her hair looks nice and full and more length only shows off the beautiful color. I just remembered a youtube video I saw about blonde hair care that mentioned that shampoos and conditioners with purple pigment are good for keeping blonde or white or grey hair vibrant and counteracting any yellowing from pollution and minerals. For whatever that’s worth. I think my grandma used a purple shampoo made for grey/white hair.
I was telling her about the shampoo, she wants to try and find some now! She thanks you for your comment!

Wow, I love that! I hope my hair gets to look like that when I'm older. Long silver hair is so elegant.
Thank you so much!

Oooh! That is breathtaking! Please beg her not to cut it, it is beautiful!
I think all of you have convinced her not to cut it! Thanks so much!

Add me to the :thudpile:

And yes, I agree that she has a lot more options with it longer than she would if she cuts it short. Besides, what is more elegant than silver hair in a neat French twist?
My mom thanks you!

Thank you everyone for the lovely comments; my mom could not believe all the lovely comments and you really made her day! I think we have managed to convince my mom not to cut!! I knew I could count on you all!! :blossom::blossom:

DweamGoiL
July 5th, 2016, 08:53 PM
I am late to the party, but her hair is stunning! I hope my hair looks like hers one day :pray:

kittengirl
July 5th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I am late to the party, but her hair is stunning! I hope my hair looks like hers one day :pray:

Awww thanks so much! My mom is delighted!

mz_butterfly
July 5th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Your mom doesn't know how beautiful her hair is. Long, beautiful grey hair is not common. Short grey hair is very common. Tell her to be "uncommon" :cloud9:

dfotw
July 5th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Your mother has beautiful silver hair. Tell her I wish mine turns out like hers as I age. And also, tell her how long hair is more versatile! Even if she doesn't like it in an updo, she can do half-ups to get it off her face, plus all sorts of braids! A small flexi-8 or hair-safe barrette would look great on her hair, plus we all know how us long-hairs love our hair-toys! ;)

*belated birthday flowers for your mum* :flowers:

nekosan
July 5th, 2016, 09:13 PM
I think it's gorgeous. I'd love to have hair that pretty when I get older.

turtlelover
July 5th, 2016, 09:50 PM
Nooooooo....she should not cut it! I think it is so pretty! I am not a person that says that to everyone. I think there are people who have hair that looks better shorter, but her hair is way too nice to cut off.

Angela_Rose
July 5th, 2016, 09:51 PM
My hair wants to be that color when it grows up. :thudpile:

Wildcat Diva
July 5th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Really beautiful, and looks in nice shape. The color is divine.

I think you can teach her gentle ways of caring for it and it will be just so lovely and yes "different!"

Obsidian
July 5th, 2016, 10:05 PM
kittengirl's mom, you listen here. You have some of the most beautiful silver hair I've ever seen. I can only pray my hair will be as pretty one day.

If you like it long then leave it long. My mother is in her 70's and her hair is nearly waist, I don't think she will ever cut it. It doesn't make her look old, it just makes her look like her.

kittengirl
July 5th, 2016, 10:29 PM
Your mom doesn't know how beautiful her hair is. Long, beautiful grey hair is not common. Short grey hair is very common. Tell her to be "uncommon" :cloud9:

Your mother has beautiful silver hair. Tell her I wish mine turns out like hers as I age. And also, tell her how long hair is more versatile! Even if she doesn't like it in an updo, she can do half-ups to get it off her face, plus all sorts of braids! A small flexi-8 or hair-safe barrette would look great on her hair, plus we all know how us long-hairs love our hair-toys! ;)

*belated birthday flowers for your mum* :flowers:

I think it's gorgeous. I'd love to have hair that pretty when I get older.

Nooooooo....she should not cut it! I think it is so pretty! I am not a person that says that to everyone. I think there are people who have hair that looks better shorter, but her hair is way too nice to cut off.

Really beautiful, and looks in nice shape. The color is divine.

I think you can teach her gentle ways of caring for it and it will be just so lovely and yes "different!"

kittengirl's mom, you listen here. You have some of the most beautiful silver hair I've ever seen. I can only pray my hair will be as pretty one day.

If you like it long then leave it long. My mother is in her 70's and her hair is nearly waist, I don't think she will ever cut it. It doesn't make her look old, it just makes her look like her.

Thank you all SOOOO much. My mom is beyond thrilled and can't believe how wonderful everyone on this board is. She is now thinking she might try to grow to waist and I am so excited to have her have her own hair journey! I'm excited to teach her more things and instruct her in "our ways." :cheer:

maborosi
July 5th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Wow, what beautiful hair!!!! What a stunning color and it looks so healthy!!

Deborah
July 5th, 2016, 10:51 PM
I think your mother's hair is simply beautiful!

diddiedaisy
July 6th, 2016, 12:37 AM
Beautiful, beautiful hair. It is a mane to be proud of. :)

LillithTheFirst
July 6th, 2016, 12:44 AM
When I was little I thought when women got old their hair turned curly and short.... Later realised they were typical old lady perms.... You're mum should be proud to look different! All them other older women will be jealous!

Zebra Fish
July 6th, 2016, 01:40 AM
Veeery pretty! Don't let her cut it :flower: I wish my mum would listen to me more than to hairdressers and have pretty hair like that, instead she has neck length hair and pretty damaged all the time :/ The pic of your mum's hair reminded me of the older lady model someone posted here some days ago.

Nesoi
July 6th, 2016, 01:49 AM
It's beautiful! I love it!

kuroi
July 6th, 2016, 02:05 AM
I think the typical old lady style makes people look older. Keeping it long makes someone look younger and it's a sign of good health. It's a beautiful silver colour and probably a good length to stay practical for her.

browneyedsusan
July 6th, 2016, 02:29 AM
I'd have a talk with Mom. She is 66. She's going to probably going to look like she's 66 whether she has long hair or not. Does she remember what it's like having short hair? (Also, you didn't define "short". I'm going to assume a pixie?) Is she having trouble caring for her hair? Does she need more social outings? (Sometimes the regular hairdresser visits can fill a need for being around others.) Does she enjoy her long hair?

Try to help her drill through the reasons why. It sounds like she's bothered by something deeper than her hair. :)

Wusel
July 6th, 2016, 04:16 AM
Dear kittengirl's mom,
please don't cut your wonderful, special, awesome hair.
Do you want to look like everybody else?
To disappear in the masses? To be overlooked?
You don't want this, right?
So, let it grow down to your butt and enjoy being different and special.
Your hair is too pretty to be wasted!
I really hope to meet you here as a member in 2 years or so and see you with waist long hair.
Hugs from Germany,
Wusel

Wusel
July 6th, 2016, 04:20 AM
I think the typical old lady style makes people look older. Keeping it long makes someone look younger and it's a sign of good health. It's a beautiful silver colour and probably a good length to stay practical for her.

THIS!
Long, healthy, shiny hair worn down or in a braid definitely makes you look younger when you're over 40!

Elly May
July 6th, 2016, 04:55 AM
Absolutely gorgeous--I would hate to see you cut it!! I also agree that cutting it short would be much more aging--step away from the Granny Cut!

lapushka
July 6th, 2016, 05:54 AM
That looks amazing! :D I hope she decides to keep her hair, but if not... well, it's *her* hair, and there's not going to be much you can do. ;) :)

AZDesertRose
July 6th, 2016, 06:03 AM
It is, in the end, her hair and her life and therefore her choice.

That being said, her hair looks beautiful. It seems quite thick, the color is lovely, and I hope she opts not to cut. Maybe she can learn some new styles and have fun with her hair! :flower:

Pinni
July 6th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Her hair is stunning and so elegant.:blossom:

embee
July 6th, 2016, 08:49 AM
You did a great S&D and trimming job, that looks fab. Alas, I will never have such hair. I'm quite a bit older and my hair is thin and brownish and long - and I wear it in a bun all the time. People ask me how I make the bun, they are shocked that it is held with only one pretty hairstick.

What would your mom think of hairtoys? Hair Jewelry, they sometimes are. :)

nakima
July 6th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Don't do it!!!! your hair hair is awesome the way it is! love the color!!!!!

Agnieszka
July 6th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Your Mom has beautiful and elegant hair. I love the colour!

Inga-Marjukka
July 6th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Amazing hair! The colour is like pearly white silver from a fairytale. :thud:

My mum would be so jealous if she saw that photo, I probably won't show it to her in case she thinks I'm making fun of her. She constantly moans about her thin hair that's cut short, and often asks one of us to check whether her baldest spot is showing just before heading out the door. The things she'd do for that hair...

Anyway, like lapushka said, it's her hair and her decision. But what beautiful hair!

Cg
July 6th, 2016, 04:01 PM
That is one beautiful head of hair! Hair length does not make one look either younger or older. But beautiful hair always enhances a person's appearance, whatever the age. And hers is lovely.

mariazelie
July 6th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Your mom's hair is absolutely gorgeous. It's so thick and a beautiful color. No cutting!

teal
July 6th, 2016, 05:24 PM

:agree: Mine too! I'm not convinced I'll get it, since the grandparents all have steely grey hair in my family, but I hope for a beautiful silver like that. And such nice volume, too!

Your hair is too pretty to be wasted!

But not too pretty to be waist(ed)! ;)

Definitely another vote for taking the path less travelled. If I could rig the ballot on that vote, I would. I see all sorts of women in my parents' age bracket with short cuts, perms, etc. Those hairstyles are a dime a dozen, much like the bleach-blonde, straightened hair on younger women. Your hair is most certainly NOT ordinary!

And, if you decide you want a little pizzazz after some time enjoying your long hair, get a jar of deposit-only dye and put a streak of colour in! You won't have to do any bleaching at all! Most of it will wash out - test it on shed hair (from your brush) or on the underside of your hair if you're not confident. Yes, the colour game is now transcending generations. Where just a decade or two ago those colours were for punks (we're all right, ya know) now it is socially acceptable and even desireable for women at and beyond middle age to have them too. Maybe hold off on the crazy mohawks for now. ;)

kittengirl
July 6th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Thank you thank you all for the wonderful replies! I keep sending them to my mom and she is so happy. She can't believe that so many people on this board care about her hair! My mom was saying that she actually hates going to the salon but apparently she saw her hair dresser in the store and the hair dresser looked at her "like she had two heads" and she felt really self-conscious about her hair. I explained to her though that sometimes hairdressers don't share our opinions on long hair, especially for older ladies. I think she is going to try some new styles (but not cutting) and she is really thinking she might like to try for waist now. She has sworn off heat and is really babying it. I have introduced her to oils!
I could tell she liked her hair but thought she "should" cut it due to her age and the way she looked, and I just really wanted her to be comfortable being herself. She was so thrilled with all the comments telling her to "be uncommon" and try something different. She's so happy with her hair right now and I can tell she is feeling really great about herself. I could not have done this for her without this board so thank you so so much! Her birthday is tomorrow and I am delighted to see her so happy.

Entangled
July 6th, 2016, 07:32 PM
She should be! Her hair is gorgeous. I hope mine looks like that when I go grey. It's so lovely!

Ana H.
July 6th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Thank you thank you all for the wonderful replies! I keep sending them to my mom and she is so happy. She can't believe that so many people on this board care about her hair! My mom was saying that she actually hates going to the salon but apparently she saw her hair dresser in the store and the hair dresser looked at her "like she had two heads" and she felt really self-conscious about her hair. I explained to her though that sometimes hairdressers don't share our opinions on long hair, especially for older ladies. I think she is going to try some new styles (but not cutting) and she is really thinking she might like to try for waist now. She has sworn off heat and is really babying it. I have introduced her to oils!
I could tell she liked her hair but thought she "should" cut it due to her age and the way she looked, and I just really wanted her to be comfortable being herself. She was so thrilled with all the comments telling her to "be uncommon" and try something different. She's so happy with her hair right now and I can tell she is feeling really great about herself. I could not have done this for her without this board so thank you so so much! Her birthday is tomorrow and I am delighted to see her so happy.

Hooray!!! I’m so glad she feels encouraged! It really is beautiful and I’m not the kind of person who would say that about everybody. Here’s an article I found about the purple shampoo after a quick google search: http://simonedigital.com/how-purple-shampoo-works/ I’m not blonde so I’m not an expert on it. It looks like the Aveeda one has the best reviews on Amazon.

Also, just today I saw a young woman at the store who had her hair dyed grey. :)

browneyedsusan
July 7th, 2016, 02:52 AM
I'm glad your mom decided to keep her hair. It's really pretty and she should be proud of it! Just because other women don't have long hair, doesn't mean she should fall in. I have longer hair than DD19, and much longer than other women my age. Too bad. I like my hair. It's for me. :lala: Other women can eat their hearts out!

lapushka
July 7th, 2016, 05:08 AM

Maybe you could make it a monthly mother-daughter bonding moment, and you can trim and fix her hair for her. Just a suggestion. :flower:

Carolyn
July 7th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Has your mom not heard that silver is the new blonde? Her hair is gorgeous. There are so many pretty styles she can do. Tell her that no one is looking at her straight on in profile for more than a few seconds. I think she needs a new stylist if her current one isn't being supportive.

Cg
July 7th, 2016, 09:03 AM
I like lapushka's idea of monthly hair confabs. You and your mother are gifts to one another and you should enjoy common hair interests all you can!

missrandie
July 7th, 2016, 09:36 AM
I had a serious jaw-drop moment when I saw her hair. It's ethereal!

I'm so happy she has decided to keep it and continue to grow, too... It'll only become more fantastic!

Briniel
July 7th, 2016, 10:07 AM
I can't see the picture and that makes me sad...
but I'm glad your mom is happy!! Reading your last post had me smiling from ear to ear :)

kittengirl
July 7th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Hooray!!! I’m so glad she feels encouraged! It really is beautiful and I’m not the kind of person who would say that about everybody. Here’s an article I found about the purple shampoo after a quick google search: http://simonedigital.com/how-purple-shampoo-works/ I’m not blonde so I’m not an expert on it. It looks like the Aveeda one has the best reviews on Amazon.

Also, just today I saw a young woman at the store who had her hair dyed grey. :)

Thanks for that info my mom was wanting to try one of those shampoos! I really appreciate you looking into it.

Maybe you could make it a monthly mother-daughter bonding moment, and you can trim and fix her hair for her. Just a suggestion. :flower:
I like that idea....we don't see each other every single month but I have a feeling when we do I will be S&Ding from now on. I love it, I've been trying to get my mom to take more pampering time for herself for awhile now.

Has your mom not heard that silver is the new blonde? Her hair is gorgeous. There are so many pretty styles she can do. Tell her that no one is looking at her straight on in profile for more than a few seconds. I think she needs a new stylist if her current one isn't being supportive.
That's a good point about the profile...and I have a feeling I am the new stylist for now lol. She liked the trim I did....she may need to see someone for her fringe though

I can't see the picture and that makes me sad...
but I'm glad your mom is happy!! Reading your last post had me smiling from ear to ear :)
Awww I don't know why you can't see the photo! But thank you for your support!

Inga-Marjukka
July 7th, 2016, 11:11 AM
I couldn't resist the temptation and showed the photo of your mum's fantastic hair to my own mum. She said your mother's hair is so unbelievably beautiful cutting it would be such a waste, and that cutting hair short to look younger has more to do with hair possibly thinning with age, thus a short cut making it look thicker. Judging by the photo that's not necessary!

My own view still is that everyone may do whatever they please with their hair and it's just impudent to start visibly judging and making people feel bad about their hair, so I hope that whatever your mother's choice will be, it won't be out of peer pressure but her own choice that she can be happy with. :cheer:

Agnes Hannah
July 7th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Wow Kittengirl, your mum's hair is gorgeous! My mum has also began to grow her hair at the ripe old age of 71. She is currently between APL and BSL, closer to BSL though. She does colour it so I have encouraged her to use semipermanent as her hair is so fine and thin. She has the same stats as me. When she goes out I do her hair for her, she loves having it in a french pleat and this works well with her hair type.
My mum likes having longer hair so she can do elegant styles with it, much better than having it cut short or even worse, permed!

hufflepug
July 7th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Chiming in along with what everyone else has said, her hair is gorgeous! I actually stopped dying my hair in hopes that it will look similar to that when I'm older :)

AZDesertRose
July 7th, 2016, 11:54 AM
That's a good point about the profile...and I have a feeling I am the new stylist for now lol. She liked the trim I did....she may need to see someone for her fringe though

There's a way to trim one's own fringe. My daughter does her own, and the hairstylist we both use (on the rare occasions I go to a professional at all, I go to this lady) actually taught my daughter how to do it, since the stylist understands that my daughter is a busy, broke university student who doesn't always have time/money to come get her fringe professionally trimmed. (Part of the reason I trust that stylist; also, she talks to you about what you want done and doesn't do anything you don't want done to your hair. What a concept! A hairstylist who listens!)

If you like, I can ask my kiddo about the technique. :)

irishsapphire
July 7th, 2016, 01:34 PM
I'm so glad your mom was encouraged by the comments here! Her hair is absolutely stunning! Its the perfect shade of silver, I really hope when I start to silver that it looks like that! My mom's looks pretty close to that color, but she has it short because she is outside gardening all the time and she likes the practicality of short hair for that reason. But your mother's length, thickness (from what I can tell), and color?

Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

calmyogi
July 7th, 2016, 03:54 PM
It's beautiful! I hope my hair stays thick and pretty like your moms as I age. I think women that keep their natural hair as they age look better than women who cut and color. If I saw her somewhere out and about I would compliment her on it!

calmyogi
July 7th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I also wanted to add a comment from my husband that might encourage your mom. He told me once that he admires older women who keep their gray hair longer and he's only 38. He thinks it helps to preserve their beauty and that you can see their feminine side shining thru.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
July 7th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Oh wow, that color is stunning! :thud: As others have said, I too hope I have pretty silver hair like that when I am older.

Zindell
July 7th, 2016, 10:32 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23817&d=1467768331

This is how I want my hair in a couple of years! It's absolutely gorgeous.
Your mom seems to have the same slight waviness going as I have, so I identify quite well. :o

lillielil
July 7th, 2016, 10:40 PM
I'm so happy that your mom is enjoying the comments here! Her hair is what I dream of. It is just beautiful! I love long, healthy, silver hair and because it is so uncommon it is even more special. Tell her to join us!

I also think someone upthread had a good point about getting short haircut - if she doesn't like the way she looks with her hair up, she probably wouldn't like the way she looks with short hair either.

Ellethwyn
July 7th, 2016, 10:41 PM
It really is gorgeous! I hope she doesn't cut it! It looks so healthy and beautiful!

kittengirl
July 8th, 2016, 03:49 PM
There's a way to trim one's own fringe. My daughter does her own, and the hairstylist we both use (on the rare occasions I go to a professional at all, I go to this lady) actually taught my daughter how to do it, since the stylist understands that my daughter is a busy, broke university student who doesn't always have time/money to come get her fringe professionally trimmed. (Part of the reason I trust that stylist; also, she talks to you about what you want done and doesn't do anything you don't want done to your hair. What a concept! A hairstylist who listens!)

If you like, I can ask my kiddo about the technique. :)
That would be great, I think my mom would like that, thank you!!

I'm so glad your mom was encouraged by the comments here! Her hair is absolutely stunning! Its the perfect shade of silver, I really hope when I start to silver that it looks like that! My mom's looks pretty close to that color, but she has it short because she is outside gardening all the time and she likes the practicality of short hair for that reason. But your mother's length, thickness (from what I can tell), and color?

Perfect. Absolutely perfect.
Aww thank you so much!!

I also wanted to add a comment from my husband that might encourage your mom. He told me once that he admires older women who keep their gray hair longer and he's only 38. He thinks it helps to preserve their beauty and that you can see their feminine side shining thru.
Nice to have a guy's opinion thank you! My dad seems to like my mom's hair as well.

I'm so happy that your mom is enjoying the comments here! Her hair is what I dream of. It is just beautiful! I love long, healthy, silver hair and because it is so uncommon it is even more special. Tell her to join us!

I also think someone upthread had a good point about getting short haircut - if she doesn't like the way she looks with her hair up, she probably wouldn't like the way she looks with short hair either.
I am currently trying to get her to join LHC and she says she might. Thank you for your kind words!

AZDesertRose
July 8th, 2016, 03:52 PM
That would be great, I think my mom would like that, thank you!!

Okay, she's out of town this weekend, chaperoning a church youth trip, but I'll ask when she's back if she can put the instructions in words. :D

missmelaniem
July 28th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Your moms hair is stunning. Its so beautiful! I stopped coloring over a year ago and still have the ends that have hair color on them... it'll be years before they are gone, so I'm especially envious of your moms hair!

Glad to read that she decided to keep it and even grow it longer! Happy belated birthday to her as well :)

truepeacenik
July 28th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Another happy birthday, belated, to her.

I've seen photos on the two boards I frequent where your mom's hair would be someone's proud milestone photo!

As a natural redhead, silver is far in my future with a stretch of pinky sandstone on the way. I greatly admire the silvers from dark hair tones.
Your mom has Pinterest worthy hair.

So far as profiles go, is it just the difference of a bun, the placement, or does the really think all buns, on most people these days give the Pinhead look? (Some do. I've worn some questionable placements.)
Low buns, Gibson ticks and similar might be a good look for her.
I try to avoid top of head, directly opposite my nose, and I don't really like balled up buns on the lower curve (until nape, then all is fair, there).
Flatter buns work in lower positions, until it's tuck territory.

Bee butt buns are a no go, if I'm in public.
My buns aren't epic, but they can get tall, so I discourage that.
At your mom's length, she will likely get some nice proportions with her bunning.