PDA

View Full Version : Should you wear your hair up or leave it down?

Ana H.
July 5th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Okay, so… Half the world says you should try to wear your hair down as much as possible because putting it up in different styles all the time creates stress on the follicles and scalp and eventually causes breakage where the style is placed. The other half says just the opposite, that buns and updos are a way to protect your hair from environmental/mechanical damage and prevent breakage. Who do you guys think is right?

Personally, I do a little of both. I try to leave my hair down on the first day because what’s the point of having long hair if you’re going to hide it all the time. Then on the second and third day I wear it up or in a braid (avoiding super tight styles) because it’s no fun to have hair and not be able to do anything cool with it. :cool:

But I still don’t know who’s right about this one. By the way, is it bad so sleep in a loose bun if you do it with a gentle elastic? A girl on YouTube said a bun is bad because it will cause breakage right where the bun meets your head and a braid is better. Unfortunately buns give me better waves.

ShDiHa
July 5th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Honestly, do what you think helps your hair. I like my hair down, so the majority of the time, it's down. If I'm at work or I can't be bothered, hair is up. I usually sleep with my hair loose, unless I'm feeling hot. When you do a bun, make sure you put it on different spots on your head every night and that it's not too tight. Same with braids and pony tails.

Whirled_peas
July 5th, 2016, 07:14 PM
However you feel is best for you is the best way :)

lapis_lazuli
July 5th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Hmm... I will still stand by wearing hair up as it has helped me avoid mechanical damage and continue growing. I also agree that tight styles (or ones with high manipulation) would put stress on your follicles, resulting in breakage.
It's for the latter that the only updo I feel comfortable doing is the LWB, I do it nearly every day. :D At some point I'll try more complex styles but right now I'm happy with a basic one that protects well :lol: I also wear it to bed, but with a hairstick mind you. I'm wary of using elastics for bunning, I think a stick is much safer (but a braid is OK too!) :)

Ana H.
July 5th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone! I was just curious.

Hmm... I will still stand by wearing hair up as it has helped me avoid mechanical damage and continue growing. I also agree that tight styles (or ones with high manipulation) would put stress on your follicles, resulting in breakage.
It's for the latter that the only updo I feel comfortable doing is the LWB, I do it nearly every day. :D At some point I'll try more complex styles but right now I'm happy with a basic one that protects well :lol: I also wear it to bed, but with a hairstick mind you. I'm wary of using elastics for bunning, I think a stick is much safer (but a braid is OK too!) :)

What is the LWB? I’ve never tried a stick for a bun. It sounds like it might be uncomfortable to sleep in.

lapis_lazuli
July 5th, 2016, 07:47 PM
What is the LWB? I’ve never tried a stick for a bun. It sounds like it might be uncomfortable to sleep in.

A LWB is a lazy wrap bun :) most versions of it end with the stick oriented horizontally, which I think would be hard to sleep in. However, I learned to do it with the stick oriented vertically, which makes it easy to sleep on my side, on my back with my head turned, etc, etc. I have no discomfort sleeping in it (personally, of course :))
I learned to do it from here: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Lazy-Wrap-Bun

If you try it, I'd recommend using cheaper hairsticks, just on the offchance it snaps in your sleep (but nothing like that has happened to me yet... :wannabe:)

spidermom
July 5th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Of course I like to wear my hair down every once in awhile, but I think it is safer and more protected when I wear it up. I don't wear the same tight style all the time, so I do not believe that I am putting destructive strain on my follicles. When I wear my hair down, it seems to go all over the place, and I have suffered the following hazards:
1) hair getting into open flame
2) hair getting stuck under purse or backpack strap
3) hair getting stuck in hinges, car doors, car windows, etc; caught and yanked out
4) hair being crushed and ground between my back and the back of the chair
5) hair blowing wildly in the wind
6) hair getting stuck in sweaty fold of neck and cutting me as I pull it free (ow!)

Anje
July 5th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Mine is normally up, but never super tight. Just enough to stay, so it doesn't slide down and start pulling after a while. It's too long for it to be safe to wear loose in the lab, and I'd sit on it or get tangled in it anyway. Plus, it tangles more when it's loose, which means more damage. So I keep it braided or bunned most of the time. At night, it's usually loose or braided in a sleep bonnet, which keeps it from wrapping around my neck or becoming a cat toy. (Loose in the bonnet gives nice waves too, like plopping.)

Personally, I think elastics are a horribly uncomfortable way to secure buns, and i got enough breakage from them when I used them to hold ponytails with my hair less than half the length it is now. Hairsticks, forks, and clips are so much better on the scalp, even if breakage isn't a factor.

Chromis
July 5th, 2016, 09:06 PM
I do not consider putting my hair up to be hiding it first off. I enjoy making cool updos and wearing all sorts of pretty clips, sticks, and forks in my hair! It is fun to coordinate them with my makeup and outfits. Also, I hate having hair in my face no matter what length it is.

Putting your hair up can be damaging if you use unfriendly elastics, rubberbands, or pull it super tightly. So can braids. Updos made with hair-friendly tools are indeed protective and many people find that they can grow longer when they put their hair up. A lot of people have a false terminal at the point their hair rubs against their office chair for example. You also get more damage if it tangles easily like mine does, especially if it is windy.

You can wear it down if you chose, many do and that is totally fine. It is your hair! But I think wearing it up is the most protective if that is your goal, so long as you do so in a sensible manner. Also, lots of internet "experts" have no idea what they are talking about. Just because someone says something on YouTube, or even here, does not automatically make it true and what is true for one person may not be true for others.

Decoy24601
July 5th, 2016, 09:50 PM
I think as long as the bun/updo isn't tight and is a low-manipulation style that it'll be less damaging than wearing your hair down. I've noticed that since I've started wearing my hair up in a LWB during the day (or other styles) I've been getting less split ends and my hair seems to stay hydrated for longer. I haven't noticed any increased shedding (I suspect I shed about 30-50 hairs a day normally. I have a lot of hair, so shedding is pretty normal for me). I braid it loosely over my shoulder for bed and I flip the braid over my pillow. It usually stays put for most of the night.

I've also started preferring my hair up, just because I've gotten used to having it up and whenever it's down I end up thinking "ugh, it's getting in the way again!".

YMMV. Some people have no issues with breakage and wearing their hair down. Because of stress and malnutrition for years my hair has grown a lot thinner (strand width and overall volume) and more prone to feathered splits. I've noticed that the longest hairs are a lot coarser for the last 4-5 inches and I never see those break/split. The splits I do find end up being the shorter, thinner hair. Those are also the hairs that lack a lot of protein (they get "gummy" and have way too much elasticity). So, my hair seems to like being up in buns and braids a lot better.

ETA: I use hair-ties that don't have any metal for braids and I haven't noticed any breakage because of them. I never use elastics/rubber-bands because they grip my hair and pull it out/break it more often than not.

Deborah
July 5th, 2016, 10:56 PM
I think wearing long hair up is definitely more protective. Over the years most of the members on this list find this to be true.

polarnatt
July 6th, 2016, 12:22 AM
I like to keep my hair down as much as possible, since wearing it up is always a hassle - I suck at different hairstyles and the more I try updos and braids and whatnot, the more I end up damaging my hair. I never succeed in doing something right the first time, I have to try all buns at least twice, and usually I get frustrated and end up accidentally ripping my hair.

With that being said, I can do a simple bun with a phone cord elastic, and I wear it most of the time when I'm home sitting on the couch etc. to avoid rubbing. Also during winter I like to keep my hair up more because of all the coats and scarves that tangle my hair like crazy if it's up.

I think this is a very YMMV issue. :)

Nesoi
July 6th, 2016, 01:53 AM
I've always been a big believer in wearing it up to avoid mechanical damage, although recently I have noticed some breakage around my hairline which I believe is from wearing the same LWB every day. So now I am trying to balance it with some braids and different styles. I still want it up most of the time though - just the other day I had it down and t got trapped in my car window and seatbelt at the same time :mad: NOT fun.

lapushka
July 6th, 2016, 06:26 AM
As long as you give your hair a rest, it's all okay. I wear it up when I'm up and down loose for the night. If you constantly do *tight* styles (day & night), that's a whole different issue. But if not, then you're fine. I've been wearing it up, when I'm up, since it could be worn up (around APL). I'm classic length right now, have been since Sept. 2015 and my hair is as thick as ever. I don't see anything bad from it.

missrandie
July 6th, 2016, 07:10 AM
I'm a big believer in wearing hair up to protect it, and also using the right tools to put it up with.

My mom and I used to use harsh metal barettes to put our hair up, and it caused a lot of breakage, though it was still long.

Mom has since cut her hair to a short bob, then grown it out again, this time using a ficcare instead to secure her hair, and she is now past waist with way less breakage and thinning.

lulikrueger
July 6th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I say never go extremes. If you don't find that you have a lot of breakage, keep doing what you're doing.
It also differs from person to person, as thicker, coarser hair is less prone to breakage than finer hair types. If your hair gets tangly easily, styling it is a good idea, but remember that bobby pins and hair elastics can also stress the strands, so you gotta learn what's best for you.
I myself do the same as you and it works for me, but if my mother, who has finer hair than me, did it, she'd have a lot of breakage.
As to the braid x bun, if I understand it right, it doesn't make sense, unless you do a very tight bun.
Extremely tight styles can cause traction alopecia, so I'm always making sure mine are on the looser side.

Nique1202
July 6th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Most folks find a LOT more damage in their hair when it's worn loose, compared to when it's worn either in braids (somewhat protective) or in minimally-damaging buns (fastened with hair sticks, ficcares, flexi-8s). Loose hair gets caught under bag straps, between your body and your chair, under seatbelts, and it rubs against your clothes whenever it moves. That's a lot of damage for it to accumulate every day over a long period of time. For some people it adds up quickly, but others don't notice it at all, and some people find it's reduced as long as they stay very aware of where their hair is and when it's coming into contact with potential dangers so they can move it out of the way before it gets damaged.

Braiding tends to protect the hair more, but it still leaves the hair on the outside vulnerable since it's still hanging out like loose hair would, and depending on the fastener can cause some damage from being tied off in the same spot. I usually recommend using the little latex elastics that you can get for something like 300 for $1 for braid ties, since it's close enough to the ends usually to slip it off to reuse it again a few times, and they hold very securely because of the grippiness of the latex, and if it starts to snag you can see it to cut it safely without cutting any hair and it only cost a fraction of a cent so it's hardly a waste. The only issue with this is if you oil your ends, the oil will break down the latex faster.

Buns are generally the most protective hairstyles, because it involves a few seconds of manipulation and then, ideally, it's going to hold all your hair in place and protect it all day with almost no continuous friction or mechanical damage from outside sources. But there are lots of reasons to not like buns! Some folks have a lot of trouble getting buns to hold comfortably without pulling on any section of the scalp (though this is usually fixable, either with a little more length so you don't have to make the bun as tight, or by sectioning the bun) and some folks just don't like having their hair up, they prefer to have the length showing or to feel their hair down around them like a soft hug.

Any style done too tightly in the same spot every day can cause breakage or follicle problems, but plenty of folks wear the same style every day perfectly safely. (Lapushka and her lazy wrap bun come to mind here.) It comes down to how much damage your hair accumulates from each method of styling, how much you enjoy wearing your hair one way or another, and how much damage you're willing to live with at your goal length for the sake of wearing your hair in your preferred way. Some people can wear their hair down, make it to classic, and have no visible damage. Some people can't wear their hair down and make it past midback. It's really individual and we all have to make the choice for ourselves.

genlilliana
July 6th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I wear mine down on cool days...fall, winter and early spring. I wear it up a lot in the summer or in braids. I have really thick hair and it causes me to overheat a lot in the warmer weather. I bought a satin srunchie last year and then started making my own this year. They keep the damage down.

This week has been especially hot and I've had my hair up in a braided bun for two days...too lazy to be bothered with my hair so far this week.

Ana H.
July 6th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys! So, 5 votes for up and 2 votes for whatever you feel works for you. :) So far updos and braids with hair friendly tools that aren’t pulled too tight are winning. Boo... :(I like to wear my hair down or in fancy braids and buns with elastics and bobby pins. I know bobby pins pinch the hair but are hair pins okay? Like these: https://www.amazon.com/Capezio-Womens-Bunheads-Hairpins-Brown/dp/B0002UVWJG

Also, I usually use DIY Emi-Jay style elastics and only rarely use the little rubber bands. Are these okay? They don’t leave any kinks. http://www.emijay.com/Lucy-5-Pack-Hair-Ties.html

I feel like if you baby your hair in general it might be okay to do something damaging that you enjoy. Like some people heat style every once in a while and others still dye their hair or wash it every day. I might be wrong but I think if you’re doing everything right in most areas doing less than perfect in one area might not be so bad.

Frankenstein
July 6th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Personally, since my hair is so tangly, I wear it up most days lately to keep the tangles at bay. I do still wear it down a good bit, and I grew to past classic length without ever putting it up (except in a ponytail, which I don't count).

Ana H.
July 6th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Personally, since my hair is so tangly, I wear it up most days lately to keep the tangles at bay. I do still wear it down a good bit, and I grew to past classic length without ever putting it up (except in a ponytail, which I don't count).

Yay! That’s encouraging!

Ana H.
July 6th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Whoa... I just reloaded the page and realized there was a bunch of responses I hadn’t seen when I wrote my reply. Thank you everyone. Very helpful and interesting.

Anje
July 6th, 2016, 01:09 PM
I consider "down" as something to do when I want it to be special. Especially since I have a length and color that tends to attract attention.

How long your hair is and what your goal is, definitely influence choices for the up/down question. At waist going for tailbone (according to the stats you have), you probably can wear it down a lot, so long as you take care not to let your hair rub on things or get caught and generally keep an eye out for it. If you wanted your hair to be more like knee length, I'd suggest you get used to the idea of wearing it up most of the time, if only for convenience.

nakima
July 6th, 2016, 10:24 PM
when I reached tbl I noticed that I started wearing my hair up or braided more than at other lengths, it seems to get in the way and I don't want to damage it but I do love to wear it down as well so first day of washing it's down until I'm in for the day after that I keep it braided.

reilly0167
July 7th, 2016, 05:23 AM
I too on cooler weather like to wear my hair down, now that I wear hair up on hot summer Florida I'm so used to wearing it up all the time that I almost feel guilty wearing it down. I also vary my bun styles and only use hair sticks/ forks and spin pins only; and because of this, I feel, I'm finally making progress of just passing bsl.

Ana H.
July 7th, 2016, 06:41 PM
I consider "down" as something to do when I want it to be special. Especially since I have a length and color that tends to attract attention.

How long your hair is and what your goal is, definitely influence choices for the up/down question. At waist going for tailbone (according to the stats you have), you probably can wear it down a lot, so long as you take care not to let your hair rub on things or get caught and generally keep an eye out for it. If you wanted your hair to be more like knee length, I'd suggest you get used to the idea of wearing it up most of the time, if only for convenience.

Actually! Wonder of wonders... when I was turning away from the mirror the other day I discovered that my hair is about 1 inch away from tailbone!!! When I bring it to the front to examine the length it looks like it's belly button length but that’s only because of... how shall I say it...my rather full breasts. Anyway! I’m happy! :D :D :D :D :D I’ll probably be moving my goal to classic after my shortest layer reaches tailbone. I want to achieve a better hemline first. But I do want my hair short enough that I can still wear it down sometimes without too much trouble.

Ana H.
July 7th, 2016, 06:43 PM
when I reached tbl I noticed that I started wearing my hair up or braided more than at other lengths, it seems to get in the way and I don't want to damage it but I do love to wear it down as well so first day of washing it's down until I'm in for the day after that I keep it braided.

Yeah, I try to only have it down on the first day too. Sometimes second day. I’m going to look around the forum and see if I can find some tricks on how to use hair sticks and forks and things like that. Even though I don’t want to give up wearing some “naughty” styles it would probably cut down on damage to include some good styles in the rotation. :)

Alex Lou
July 7th, 2016, 06:51 PM
I've only just gotten to the point where wind bothers me, I worry about open flames, and just the other day closed the car door on my hair. But I still prefer to wear hair down sometimes.

I'm a spin pin enthusiast: https://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/easy-hairstyles-with-spin-pins?utm_term=.cclmbnEnO#.avr4qlglD

Ana H.
July 7th, 2016, 06:56 PM
I've only just gotten to the point where wind bothers me, I worry about open flames, and just the other day closed the car door on my hair. But I still prefer to wear hair down sometimes.

I'm a spin pin enthusiast: https://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/easy-hairstyles-with-spin-pins?utm_term=.cclmbnEnO#.avr4qlglD

Yeah, thats scary.

I’ve heard of spin pins but my sister said when she used them they got all stuck and ended up ripping her hair. That scared me off. Maybe they were just low quality ones.

Update: Wow! I just looked at the link. It looks like they can replace bobby pins in a lot of styles. If they really are less damaging I would love to try them out.

Alex Lou
July 7th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Yeah, thats scary.

I’ve heard of spin pins but my sister said when she used them they got all stuck and ended up ripping her hair. That scared me off. Maybe they were just low quality ones.

Update: Wow! I just looked at the link. It looks like they can replace bobby pins in a lot of styles. If they really are less damaging I would love to try them out.

If you use more than one spin pin at a time, you don't want to cross them. "Don't cross the streams". They can kind of get locked together if you do. I use one spin pin in my hair to keep my hair up all day, and night, and sometimes day again (I have a baby, okay?). But I use 2 spin pins if I'm doing something really active. You spin them out of your hair just like you spin them in. I really think they're one of the least damaging things you can use because they just glide through the hair. They don't pinch or anything and have no way to get tangled in the hair.

Eastbound&Down
July 7th, 2016, 07:18 PM
Well I recently had my hair CATCH ON FIRE and had to cut off a good foot of it so..... I'm gonna say wear it up... Especially around bbq pits :(

gthlvrmx
July 7th, 2016, 09:28 PM
If you use more than one spin pin at a time, you don't want to cross them. "Don't cross the streams". They can kind of get locked together if you do. I use one spin pin in my hair to keep my hair up all day, and night, and sometimes day again (I have a baby, okay?). But I use 2 spin pins if I'm doing something really active. You spin them out of your hair just like you spin them in. I really think they're one of the least damaging things you can use because they just glide through the hair. They don't pinch or anything and have no way to get tangled in the hair.

The box even says "Do not cross spin pins". I think some people may get problems with their spin pins getting stuck or tangled up when they criss-cross them.

Anje
July 7th, 2016, 09:44 PM

The box even says "Do not cross spin pins". I think some people may get problems with their spin pins getting stuck or tangled up when they criss-cross them.
You *know* someone's gotta link a video clip for that one, right? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaLZHiJJnE

CremeTron
July 8th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Hehehe! Someone had to!

Ana H.
July 8th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Haha! Got it. Do NOT cross the spin pins. =) What brand do you guys use?

Eastbound&Down, I am so sorry to hear your hair caught on fire... Thats so sad... :(

Flossiebell
January 8th, 2017, 03:07 PM
I know this thread has been dormant for a while but thought I'd chuck my pennies worth in.
I leave my hair down most of the time but will throw it into a quick braid if it gets in my way. I don't fasten it with anything, I'm lucky that my hair tends to hold it for a few hours and it's gentle/loose enough to be really comfortable and doesn't pull at all ��

Ophidian
January 13th, 2017, 09:30 PM
I wear it up most of the time but I want to leave it down more. I didn't think I was doing resolutions this year but maybe that's one :)

LadyCelestina
January 14th, 2017, 09:42 AM
I like braids and I do believe daily un-sectioned buns put stress on your roots (but it depends on the type of bun & also it might not show up on some people) . They certainly do on mine. But I'm lazy to do sectioned buns :D

lithostoic
January 14th, 2017, 09:57 AM
I typically braid it. Double rope braids are my favorite. With the elastic being so far down, I don't really care that it's damaging. It's the ends of my hair, they're going to be damaged regardless.

spidermom
January 14th, 2017, 10:18 AM
I had to wear my hair up/braided from around BSL on because otherwise it was all over the place, getting in the way, getting caught on things and ripped out, etc. I'm keeping my hair around collarbone length now, and it's such a relief to just have it down most of the time. I can still get it up if I want to because I'm doing house/yard work or exercising.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 14th, 2017, 10:39 AM
I keep my hair up and it's best to keep it up in my opinion. I let it down for special occasions and when I want to get oogled at, lol. But for the most part I keep it up in some sort of bun secured by a fork.
And it really depends on the last time I washed. The further I go, the more tangle prone I get because my hair collects lint and dust! The dust creates horrible tangles and the only way to prevent that is by wearing it up.

curlysamantha
January 14th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Either is fine, I would say keep it up at night but let it down during the day. If you keep it up all the time its good to not keep it up in the same place because that can lead to balding. Also you don't want to tie it very tight because this can also lead to balding. But you also want to protect your ends from splitting. Personally I leave mine down during the day and up at night, but really its what you feel comfortable with.

hanne jensen
January 15th, 2017, 04:34 AM
It depends on how strong your hair is. If you're blessed with damage resistant hair, then whatever makes you comfortable unless it's dangerous.

If your hair damages easily then it's best to wear it up most of the time.

Neon Sun
January 18th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Okay, so… Half the world says you should try to wear your hair down as much as possible because putting it up in different styles all the time creates stress on the follicles and scalp and eventually causes breakage where the style is placed. The other half says just the opposite, that buns and updos are a way to protect your hair from environmental/mechanical damage and prevent breakage. Who do you guys think is right?

Personally, I do a little of both. I try to leave my hair down on the first day because what’s the point of having long hair if you’re going to hide it all the time. Then on the second and third day I wear it up or in a braid (avoiding super tight styles) because it’s no fun to have hair and not be able to do anything cool with it. :cool:

But I still don’t know who’s right about this one. By the way, is it bad so sleep in a loose bun if you do it with a gentle elastic? A girl on YouTube said a bun is bad because it will cause breakage right where the bun meets your head and a braid is better. Unfortunately buns give me better waves.

I think that both ways are ok and cool if you're not very obsessed with the one of them :) Personally I like to leave my hair down when I'm not at home because in such way it looks more beautiful for me :o But I also like to style it, mostly for the comfort or when I want to try smth new on my head :D
I also like how some men style their long hair, especially in case of buns like on these examples SPAM , I think that such style looks cool and attractive, I don't understand why so many people don't like it so much :p

ExpectoPatronum
January 18th, 2017, 04:39 PM
I like having my hair down, so I usually leave it down. But since I'm a curly, some days my hair looks god awful, so it's usually up on those days. I also stretch washes so if my hair is looking a little more greasy than normal, I'll put it up too. Typically days 1 and 2 I'll leave it down, and it'll be up on the 3rd day.

I also sleep with my hair up in a pineapple. Out of all the things I've done for my hair, protecting it while I'm sleeping as allowed me to grow it longer than I have previously.

Firsttimelength
January 19th, 2017, 07:53 AM
I've ordered my first hair sticks expecting them to come today. So excited now that my hair is at BSL it is starting to get in my face I feel the ends need the extra protection too. Maybe I'll be able to oil them now too. Usually they look too greasy with my hair down. So what I've learned here is to vary the buns and styles and keep it a bit loose. Hopefully this is just what I need to push past the slower growing winter months for my hair. My neck may get cold but the extra hair at my scalp may warm it up and possibly encourage a bit more growth at least in the back. If not then at least I may stop staring at it and start to practice some benign neglect and see if that helps me out of the rut I've been in for last 3 months. Thank all of you for your wealth of information and encouragement I receive here you are the best! One day soon I'll be a knowledgeable Rapunzel like all of you gorgeous ladies!

Pumpkin3826
December 12th, 2017, 09:45 AM
I know this is a rather old thread but I wanted to share my opinion anyways. I vote that wearing hair how ever is comfortable for you is the best way. I seem to go through phases.. When my hair was from shoulder to waist I wore it down all the time, once it hit waist I wore it in French braids or a side braid all the time! Now that I am at hip length I don't like braids as much, they rub on my back too much and get frizzy and that makes me worry about all the damage it is doing.. So lately I have been wearing my hair in a lazy wrap bun with a hair stick or flexi and I love it. I put the bun at the bottom of my head on my neck so I don't get a headache and it has been my go to style for months. I like to wear it down at home, because it is fun to feel it moving and touching different parts of your body. I used to think when I first started growing it out what is the point of having long hair if you don't wear it down and show it off, But now it has almost become a secret obsession. Like when you wear cute underwear that only you know are there.. :cool: Occasionally I will get the craving to wear it down and "show off" but then I just put those vain thoughts in check and think about the long term goal and up in a lazy bun it goes.

Groovy Granny
December 12th, 2017, 10:36 AM
I wear it both ways....for comfort and protection...depending on the weather and situation.

Down but contained in low/loose ponytails or half ups in cold weather.

Up when cleaning, wearing hats/hoods, or in hot weather.

Low loose braid or ponytail for sleep.

I want to enjoy the look/length/feel, while taking good care of it :o

Ligeia Noire
December 14th, 2017, 07:52 PM
What people have been saying wearing your hair up is not hiding it, I actually love to wear my hair up, I rarely wear it down anyway, not when it was bsl and certainly not now that it is knee but of course, trying to give the scalp a rest is a must to avoid traction and give the follicles a rest. I do it after wash days, I leave it down to air dry for at least 2 nights. When up I redo my bun as many times as I need until I feel that it is not pulling and the weight is well distributed. I have to admit that I am on the "wear it up causes less damage" side though as I would have never been able to go without 3 or 4 trims a year as I can now if I did not wear protective styles. My hair tangles like there is no tomorrow. I used to trim way more often than I do these days and just not having to deal with the tangles and matted hairs is worth to wear it up all the time but there are just so many stunning updos and braids and all that, yes to wear my hair down is a privilege (for me) these days.

lithostoic
December 15th, 2017, 06:14 AM
I do both. I work in a restaurant so I have to have it contained when I'm there. I usually leave it down on wash day and the next couple days before it starts looking oily. I'll only leave it down at night on wash day. I hate having to destroy my natural wave with brushing and updos!

Hiyotoris
December 15th, 2017, 02:11 PM
When I leave the house my hair will be in a lazy wrap bun secured with a hair stick, or it'll be up in a milk maid braid. I find though if I have my hair up for too long my head starts to hurt so as soon as i get home I let it all down and apply a light coat of oil. I rarely used to wear it up though but since using natural shampoo bars I'm in the waxy detox stage but it's not looking too bad anymore! I feel like I still think its in the detox because I'm not a giant frizzball any more :D

hayheadsbird
December 15th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I wear it up through the day, and have started to sleep with it loose the past few months. This routine works for me and although it's more difficult to s&d during winter I think there's less damage from elastics wearing in a plait overnight on my hair YMMV
Mostly I use a single stick bun, either a LWB or occasionally a nautilus ( which seams to need slightly more length for me than a LWB)
I'm in the hair up camp for protection, it means less tangles, less combing, and less generally getting in the way now it's heading to waist +

Priska
February 12th, 2023, 12:26 PM
I just got incredible feedback in Facebook when I took pictures of my hair shiny, straightened and down. People said they didn't recognize me because I looked like supermodel. It really sounded like they were stunned and put open mouth smilies. I was surprised myself of their reaction. But then I realized that long hair is gorgeous when it's open. I think I'll start wearing it open more. This kind of feedback really isn't usual to me.

I think I also cancel my cutting plans. If long hair open really gives me so much respect. 🤔

Priska
February 12th, 2023, 12:34 PM
I think the effect was largely based on the fact that I wore my hair at the front of my body so that people could actually see the length of my hair and it had this framing effect.

angel-baby
February 13th, 2023, 10:36 AM
I only like to wear my hair down 1-2x/week. It isn't long enough for interesting buns yet, so most of the time I wear it braided or in a claw clip.

tuanyiji
February 13th, 2023, 11:39 AM
I feel most happy and safe when my hair is up. So up it goes.:)

mochichichi
February 13th, 2023, 01:37 PM
I think up is better since it protects the length and the ends, if you bun. If you use more hair safe securing methods and change up your style to reduce repetitive wear, then I can't imagine being up being more damaging than letting my hair catch in all the things it would love to get into. Even just a ponytail or long unsecured braid gets into so much trouble.

I think it's more important to find a balance that allows you to enjoy your hair, otherwise what are you growing it for?

BVU
February 13th, 2023, 06:56 PM
Up all the way. You can tell the "Wear your hair down" people from the "Wear your hair up" people once they get past tbl.. shudder: My hair goes into different types of braids and goes up into a crown, never much tension on any part of the hair or scalp for too long, I've found this is the best way to avoid taper.

mochichichi
February 13th, 2023, 08:18 PM
Up all the way. You can tell the "Wear your hair down" people from the "Wear your hair up" people once they get past tbl.. shudder: My hair goes into different types of braids and goes up into a crown, never much tension on any part of the hair or scalp for too long, I've found this is the best way to avoid taper.

Past tail bone! I couldn't handle my hair being down past bra strap! It would love to taste all my food, get stuck to everything, in zippers, the hinges of my glasses, my backpack...

MusicalSpoons
February 14th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Up is an absolute must for me, heading for floor length. That said, even before LHC and I was at about hip-tailbone length I preferred it up just because it was safer and more practical, although I wore it down once or twice a week for a while when I could, and I had gone most of my life swapping between ponytail, plait, bun with elastic, and half-up with the length down. What I didn't know was that the hair elastics were killing my ends. So up, yes, but with hair-friendly tools. I don't think I could have got past classic if I'd worn it down much, and I certainly could never have reached knee or beyond without it up and protected.

It does make me slightly chuckle seeing it recommended not to use the same style all the time and not to wear it up constantly ... I do both, wear the same style of bun for weeks on end, and I have it up at night as well as all day :lol: But it's not uncomfortably tight, otherwise it probably would be damaging. And when I was not so unwell I did vary my buns and what I used to secure them.

lapis_lazuli
February 14th, 2023, 06:22 PM
Despite being necessary at this length, I love wearing my hair up, for looks and comfort. I'm also certain it's the only way I've been able to grow this far in the first place.

It does make me slightly chuckle seeing it recommended not to use the same style all the time and not to wear it up constantly ... I do both, wear the same style of bun for weeks on end, and I have it up at night as well as all day :lol: But it's not uncomfortably tight, otherwise it probably would be damaging. And when I was not so unwell I did vary my buns and what I used to secure them.

Exact same here :lol: :whistle: I've done the same bun almost every day and night for 7 years and the only adverse effect has been a pronounced colour gradient down the length from sun exposure. But YMMV...

mochichichi
February 14th, 2023, 11:20 PM
Despite mentioning varied styles being good, I've been wearing the same bun pretty much every day for five? six? some years and haven't noticed any issues. My hair is pretty tough though so I rarely notice mechanical damage.

rosmarinus
February 15th, 2023, 12:32 AM
My hair is BSL and I love to wear my hair open when I'm not doing tasks where it might get in the way. When it feels too difficult to wear it open I guess that's the point when I propably "stop growing" it longer.

As I'm new hear I just found out about the hair sticks and they are by far the most comfortable tools to keep my hair up in a bun. Normally buns pull my strands unevenly and feel uncomfortable in my scalp but with hair sticks not at all! This is not news for you but I'm very surprised how comfy they are. :) I've never seen anyone wear them in my country, and I cannot find them anywhere in the local shops, so I've just used my knitting needles while I'm at home. :D I guess I have to order them from etsy..

I've been wearing my hair too much on a high ponytail or in a ponytail braid while exercising... I should learn to do a more hair friendly styling for those activities

SeppV
February 15th, 2023, 04:28 AM
I can't imagine being able to grow my hair any longer than now without bunning and braiding for most of the day (and night!). I have grown to TBL before (which I am at now) while leaving my hair loose probably 90% of the time, and my ends didn't look nice at all. Now that I am keeping my hair out of the way, it looks much much healthier. Only thing I am trying to consider, is that it shouldn't feel like it's pulling on my scalp. For me, that means varying between a loose braid and bunning. My scalp gets sore very easily. But no doubt, if someone wants to go to really long lenghs, I think it's much better to keep hair up... just... it doesn't need to be a slick, tight bun that pulls. But just get that hair away and those ends protected! :-P