PDA

View Full Version : Difference between massage only/massage with oil?

Siowiel
October 18th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Currently, I am thinking of implementing a scalp-massage-routine, but I am unsure if I should add a variation of "sweet success oil", or any other blend of essential oils.
Do I need to mention that my first goal is to improve the rate of hairgrowth? Guess I don't.

I am a bit wary of massaging with oil, because currently, I wash only weekly, and would have to wash more often or massage only once a week, not very effective in my estimation.

So, has anybody compared the growth-rate of:
a) Massage only
b) Massage with a blend of essential oils
?

Many people I spoke with think that the success in hair-growth-promotion is due to improved blood circulation, which could be achieved with massage alone. I'd like to believe that very much because it would save me so much hassle.

ChloeDharma
October 18th, 2008, 05:19 AM
If you don't want to use oil then just don't use it. Or only use it the night before you plan on washing. I think you will still get benefits though even if you don't use oil.
You also could try using something more like a tonic that would dry overnight and not leave your scalp oily....maybe a rosemary infusion or something similar?
I personally think oils make a difference....because they can help stimulate the circulation even after the massage has finished, and also can help nourish the roots which would benefit hair growth.
But once a week sounds ok for oiling.

Arctic_Mama
October 18th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I have had success with no oil, my growth is usually over half an inch a month, sometimes closer to 1 inch! Not to mention I can go longer between washes because scalp massage nightly moves the sebum around my hair instead of just sitting on my scalp. I have horrible scalp problems and it helps loosen my flakes, too, which actually makes them less noticeable.

I think the essential oils can help with scalp health and circulation, but I wouldn't say they stimulate circulation more than just massage. That's just not been my experience. But I wouldn't discount them for overall improvement of scalp condition, just growth.

Completely anecdotal, of course.

RachieBaby
October 19th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I've been trying scalp massages lately... maybe i will try with coconut oil after seeing this :) See if there is any improvement :)

aenflex
October 19th, 2010, 09:05 AM
From what I understand, getting the blood flow increased is what actually helps promote hair growth. Manual manipulation will do this, and so will oils that heat or stimulate the scalp. Unless we are talking about rubbing pepper or monistat or sulphur, I don't think the addition or absence of oils in scalp massage will make that much of a difference?
Hasn't for me anyway, and I am a scalp massage fanatic :)

Spike
October 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Well . . . why not try massage only (like on a daily basis) for a couple of months and see what happens? Ultimately, you need to know how your own personal scalp will respond, right?

And then if the "easy way" works well for you, great! Keep it up and don't look back. :cheese:

CherrySilver
October 20th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Use a water-based topical instead, it's really a no-brainer. There are plenty on the market to choose from, just google it.

I use topicals and massage at least once, if not 2x/day. When I don't wash often, I will always use the water-based ones for the first few days. It doesn't gunk up my scalp and you could never tell there's anything on, even after doing this for a few days. On the last day or two before I wash, I will switch to an oil-based topical (my own kitchen sink blend).

Or, you could go with nothing at -- the massage will help, but will not be as good if you are looking to thicken up your hair.