PDA

View Full Version : hairnets

chen bao jun
July 4th, 2016, 07:06 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3673311/The-Duchess-Cambridge-set-spark-new-trend-HAIRNETS.html

does anybody use these? I own some and I used to put them on over my buns, they are good if you want a sleek look to prevent hair popping out. They are cheap at Sally's Beauty, but yes, there is an old lady vibe about them. (My grandma used to wear them and she died in 1986. On the other hand, she had a died with a lot of hair in good condition, probably becasue her hairnets served as some sort of protection for her ends. )

The duchess is dressed amazingly like her in the photos with the articles. The patterned coat, the hat, the pearl earrings and the hairnet is all very much like what my grandmother always looked like, and many older ladies of that time did. It was an elegant look, but my mother's generation hated it. It's odd to see the same clothes on someone as young as the Duchess but I think she looks great.

proo
July 4th, 2016, 07:23 PM
I love hairnets!
I can very loosely French twist with one lil pin, pop a hairnet over the whole thing and finish with a soft headband to hide the edge. Sometimes I wear one over my bun for bed, very protective.
But yeah, definitely an old lady vibe - how promising to see that changing.

Cg
July 5th, 2016, 08:04 AM
I use whatever works. Nets work.

triumphator!
July 5th, 2016, 08:49 AM
HA! I wear a hairnet with my helmet to keep my hair in place when horseback riding. Even though that's pretty commonplace in the equestrian world, I never thought they would come back in style! That Kate Middleton is such a trendsetter.

pailin
July 5th, 2016, 09:20 AM
You see them here sometimes. I think some of them are required; there're a lot of uniforms and strict dresscodes here. Some of the places where the women are expected to wear suits and look very proper. I've see them on airline employees and at hospitals (they still wear the old-fashioned nurse uniforms). You also get a lot of little snoods, usually attached to a big french barrette with a bow on it. The hair nets are usually on somewhat longer hair I think.

Entangled
July 5th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Very neat. I've used hairnets in dance before to make sure a bun was rock solid (it was quite the boon with my jaw-length hair). I do associate them with old ladies and cafeteria workers, though. I haven't used them cosmetically, though I have for more utilitarian purposes.

chen bao jun
July 5th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Definitely nothing keeps a bun in place like a hairnet, especially if you don't have extremely long hair or if you have curls or another hair type that is prone to the frizzies.

Yes, my grandmother was very elegant to the end--so of course my mom lives in track suits and casual clothes. One was the generation that hit old age in the 1950's and the other was the generation that hit old age in the 1980's. Though my mom now at 85 doesn't think of herself as old and would be offended at being called so. Maybe I should say, late middle age or retirement age. whatever. Anyway, the Duchess of Cambridge is nowhere near there.

My grandmother just simply never told anyone her age. When she died, there was some discussion as to dates to put on her tombstone. Apparently, we got it wrong and she has gone into eternity listed as 2 or 3 younger than she actually was when she died. She was 80-something, but I couldn't tell you how much. lol

proo
July 5th, 2016, 05:33 PM
I'm always reminded of George clooney in oh brother where art thou

ShDiHa
July 5th, 2016, 07:18 PM
Ooh! Reminds me of Alyssa Milano's character Phoebe in Charmed during the fifth season! That was 2002/2003.

pailin
July 5th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Definitely nothing keeps a bun in place like a hairnet, especially if you don't have extremely long hair or if you have curls or another hair type that is prone to the frizzies.

Yes, my grandmother was very elegant to the end--so of course my mom lives in track suits and casual clothes. One was the generation that hit old age in the 1950's and the other was the generation that hit old age in the 1980's. Though my mom now at 85 doesn't think of herself as old and would be offended at being called so. Maybe I should say, late middle age or retirement age. whatever. Anyway, the Duchess of Cambridge is nowhere near there.

My grandmother just simply never told anyone her age. When she died, there was some discussion as to dates to put on her tombstone. Apparently, we got it wrong and she has gone into eternity listed as 2 or 3 younger than she actually was when she died. She was 80-something, but I couldn't tell you how much. lol

Your grandmother sounds like an amazing lady.

Tassledown
August 4th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Do any of you posting here know a good tutorial on how to use them? I'm definitely in the category of people with buns that would benefit, but I wouldn't know where to start in creating that style or securing it. I kind of hate the look of barettes which is the only securement I've seen around.

hanne jensen
August 9th, 2016, 03:05 AM
I use bun hairnets to keep flappies down. They are smaller than the ones Grandma wore. They fit over a donut or a braided bun so they always look neat and tidy.

QuietVixen
August 9th, 2016, 04:20 AM
I use hairnets over a bun to keep fly always tucked in and to have my bun looking proper. I use the hair nets similar to a hair tie in that I put the net over my bun, twist the excess of the net not on my bun, and then flip it and place the excess over my bun. I'll repeat the twist and flip process as many times as needed until the excess isn't hanging off my bun. Sorry my process might sound confusing.