PDA

View Full Version : Fairytale ends fail

Spinder
July 3rd, 2016, 05:57 PM
I think I have to face the fact that I just can't grow out fairytale ends and actually make them look nice. As soon as they start to grow out like that, they just become like a broom. I cut about an inch or so off my hair today, because my ends were all dry and scraggly and just didn't look or feel good. I'd run my fingers through it and there would all these tiny knots in the part where it thinned at the ends and it bothered me a lot, so I cut them.

In a way I feel sad, as I always do. Every millimeter of hair is a part of me and I feel sad to let it go, but I feel so much better having nice healthy feeling ends.

I did try to keep them moist but nothing worked... how do you folks with these perfect fairy tales do it??

mz_butterfly
July 3rd, 2016, 07:17 PM
I think I have to face the fact that I just can't grow out fairytale ends and actually make them look nice. As soon as they start to grow out like that, they just become like a broom. I cut about an inch or so off my hair today, because my ends were all dry and scraggly and just didn't look or feel good. I'd run my fingers through it and there would all these tiny knots in the part where it thinned at the ends and it bothered me a lot, so I cut them.

In a way I feel sad, as I always do. Every millimeter of hair is a part of me and I feel sad to let it go, but I feel so much better having nice healthy feeling ends.

I did try to keep them moist but nothing worked...
how do you folks with these perfect fairy tales do it??

The thing is, they aren't perfect. That's the big secret :p

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2016, 07:26 PM
I didn't like the feeling either, as soon as my hair starts to visibly thin out it also seems to become more exposed to friction so all that is left is a dried out 1-2 inches of taper. I'd rather cut them not to cause tangles that will damage other hairs further up.
I don't think everyone has that problem tho. There totally are "perfect"-ly healthy sonft and nonscraggly looking fairytale ends on alot of people, just not me.

turtlelover
July 3rd, 2016, 10:13 PM
Healthy or not, I don't care for the look on myself or others, and if ends are at all straggly, they have to GO! I totally understand.

Anje
July 3rd, 2016, 10:34 PM
See, mine are usually as soft as the rest of my hair. They're not perfect, they're thin for my taste, but they're not bad. Some of it is that my hair seems to naturally fairytale at this length, if I leave it without cutting for long -- I don't have to go ages and ages without cutting. Most of it, though, is that I maintained and trimmed for years before this point, so all the hair on my head has grown since I joined LHC, even the very ends, and they've gotten some really good care overall for their entire lifespan. My ends were never flat ironed nor curled nor bleached nor permed. They've spend more time than not in buns, and most of the balance of that in braids. They get oiled and the whole moisture-protein balance maintained. And on top of that, the longest hairs don't seem to split very readily, so keeping up with S&D is easy.

My real point here, is that having good ends primarily requires loads of patience and time. It's OK that you don't have them now. It's not a personal failing on your part, or something that you can fix with a few treatments. But it also isn't unattainable. Keep up the good haircare. Keep up the gentle handling. Time will pass, old hairs will shed out, and eventually you'll have a head of hair that has only ever known good treatment. And your ends will get better.

littlestarface
July 3rd, 2016, 10:54 PM
My ends feel the same as the rest of my hair, soft and healthy but they're too thin and scraggly looking for my liking. So even with healthy hair it can still look bad.

Zebra Fish
July 4th, 2016, 02:25 AM
I get fairy tale ends easily if I just microtrimm/don't trim/or take sth like 1cm every 3 moths. Been there :p but as a finey it looks all too thin and scragly to me. They are healty and soft and silky, but too thin. I'm in the no trim for 2016 now, but I took down ~15cm from september-december, so I could try this and have any decent hemline.

lapushka
July 4th, 2016, 04:49 AM

I did try to keep them moist but nothing worked... how do you folks with these perfect fairy tales do it??

What length are you at now? Just curious. Mine never fairytale, but now that it's layered, it does do that - a bit. But in fact it's blunt cut ends, that just are layered up. Which is different.

MINAKO
July 4th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Recently i've been looking at my hair in a way that i took the last ten inches in my hand and asked myself if it was shorter and this was the ONLY hair i had hanging out of a ponytail, would i consider this healthy enough to keep all of it. The answer is in most cases no, but i guess it would be to high of an expectation to have six year old ends in the exact same condition that newgroth around the ears shows.. We need a new method... Grow 50 inches in a week lolol, way to expiriment with that sort of stuff :DDD

trolleypup
July 4th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Whatever floats your boat. My ends are thin, and the texture is rougher than my hair that is less than 10 years old. I'm OK with this. If I trimmed, they would just grow back to the same shape and texture.

truepeacenik
July 4th, 2016, 10:57 PM
Whatever floats your boat. My ends are thin, and the texture is rougher than my hair that is less than 10 years old. I'm OK with this. If I trimmed, they would just grow back to the same shape and texture.

Same here. I know because I kept trimming with the same end result.

Silverbrumby
July 4th, 2016, 11:10 PM
If i keptnto a thick hemline I'd be permanently at APL. I like my fairytale ends.

spidermom
July 5th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I've been thinking that I want to try fairy tale ends because I've had every other type of hem. Trouble is that I'm way too much of a perfectionist. I hadn't trimmed since March but noticed last week that the left side was visible longer than the right when my hair was down. Now I don't wear my hair down very much, so it shouldn't have bothered me - who is going to know after all? But it bothered me and bothered me and bothered me until I trimmed. Now it's a nice, even slight U and I'm much more content with it.

moontree
July 5th, 2016, 09:05 PM
I think it has to do with hair type and texture as well. For me, ever since I embraced my natural wurl, my ends automatically kind of cling together in little tapers, which mostly are leftover from the mullet-of-the-grown-out-bob I never cut. But it's also starting to fairytale, and I like it, but only when it's more clumped like that? I dunno.

nekosan
July 5th, 2016, 09:15 PM
I like a thick, blunt hemline, but I also like my hair being as long as possible. Fairytail ends usually win, from laziness if nothing else.

Decoy24601
July 5th, 2016, 09:41 PM
I personally prefer the look of a blunt hemline, but I think as long as the older (longest) hair isn't very damaged, fairytale ends can look nice. Another reason why I don't think I'll ever go for fairytale ends is that I suspect I'll have to grow my hair very long to achieve them. I'm capable of a blunt hemline at TBL (if I didn't have layers of course) and I could probably have a blunt hemline at classic. I'd even wager that I could go to FTL or knee with a blunt hemline, but I haven't grown my hair that long before.

browneyedsusan
July 6th, 2016, 02:42 AM
I've been having similiar trouble with my ends, but made a change in routine. Now, they're much better! I oil the last 6" while damp, then seal it in with a coney product. I'm using an oil from Sally's, and "just for me" hair milk from the ethnic secton at walmart. It made a huge difference in my ends!