PDA

View Full Version : definition request

oogie
October 18th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I've been around a bit here and i've a stupid question.

What exactly is terminal length? How can you tell if you've reached it and what defines it? I did a search for the matter and all i seemed to come up with is a formula. :shrug:

Dianyla
October 18th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I've been around a bit here and i've a stupid question.

What exactly is terminal length? How can you tell if you've reached it and what defines it? I did a search for the matter and all i seemed to come up with is a formula. :shrug:
Terminal length is the natural maximum length of your hair, the longest it can grow when you never cut it. Put another way, it is the length achieved when the growth of new hair is in equilibrium with the loss of hair (due to shedding or breakage). Hair is always growing, but a single hair follicle only produces hair for a certain number of years before stopping growth, resting, and eventually falling out. One rough guide to terminal length is your follicle lifespan multiplied by your average growth rate. Most people grow about 6" of hair a year. Supposedly the average follicle on the average person produces hair in the active growing stage for 6 years. This makes for an average terminal length of about 36".

Terminal length hair can be identified by the following:
a) For most hairtypes, the ends will have a tapered shape.
b) The length of your hair has remained the same without trims for at least a year or so (to rule out possible seasonal changes in growth rate as well as account for occasional periods where hair growth stalls).

That being said, terminal length can change throughout your life... Usually for the worse unfortunately as you age. Better haircare practices can increase your terminal length because the tips of your hair break off less and you get less of a shortening effect. Better bodily health can create faster hair growth as well.

oogie
October 18th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks, that was helpful beyond measure. :cheese::cheese: