PDA

View Full Version : Avocado Oil

endlessly
July 3rd, 2016, 01:33 PM
Over the last few months, I've put my hair through a lot by trying out all sorts of new "experiments" - hairstyles, hair products, etc. And, as a result, my hair wasn't looking the greatest. About 2 weeks ago, I was at the grocery store searching for coconut oil thinking that might be the "cure all" to my problems. Personally, I don't like coconut oil - I hate the smell, the feel, and the fact that it makes my scalp itch like crazy doesn't score it any points either! So, while perusing the oil selection, I stumbled upon avocado oil and figured, "Hey, avocados are super healthy to eat, so the oil must be super healthy for my hair, too" because my skills of deduction are on point.

I purchased a small bottle of refined avocado oil (no smell, which is great) and started incorporating it into my daily routine. To use, I take just a drop, coat my hands, then apply to the ends and move my way up. I don't completely drench the hair like you would for an oil treatment, I just use enough to give it a bit of a sheen. Then, I apply a bit of my leave-in conditioner to "seal it in" (I'm assuming that's what it does) and braid it overnight.

Now, in the 2 weeks that I've been using this, my hair has never looked healthier and never felt so touchably soft. My hair takes less than a minute to detangle after washing, my braid wave pattern is extremely pronounced, I have volume in my hair that has been lacking, and it's ridiculously shiny. On top of all of this, I made the stupid mistake of coloring it one week ago - something I swore I would never do again and even after that, my hair looks incredible. I've even had people stop me just to talk about my hair and ask what I use. While I'm used to compliments just because of the length, I haven't had anyone stop me like this.

So, long story short, I think avocado oil is my new holy grail. Has anyone else tried this? What are your thoughts on this oil versus the other options out there?

kganihanova
July 3rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
Yes, I use it as leave in. Two drops avocado oil, two drops Argan oil

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2016, 01:51 PM
Oh i loved avocado oil too. I have a bit of trouble using up all the oils i purchase before they get rancid, but i should go for it again once my stock is down a bit.

czech it out
July 3rd, 2016, 01:55 PM
I love avocado oil as well - especially in the winter! I feel like it absorbs into my hair rather than just sitting on top. I do store it in the fridge though, because I find it goes bad pretty quickly compared to other oils I've tried.

Seeshami
July 3rd, 2016, 02:37 PM
Avacado is in my bleach recovery magic heath oil for mess.

The Naughty Mess says "cough cough cough. I need some cookies..... or conditioner"

Cough is a action not a word you speak Mess. Saying cough cough doesn't make you look sick or pitiful.

parkmikii
July 3rd, 2016, 02:38 PM
Avocado oil fan here as well :D
I always use a drop or two on the ends after washing it.

Inga-Marjukka
July 3rd, 2016, 03:39 PM
Avocado oil was nice while it lasted, so to say, since it went rancid super quickly. Bye bye! I really should have stored it in the fridge instead of our hot and humid bathroom. The most obvious con of AO for me is the smell. I don't know if all avocado oils are the same, or whether they're processed differently depending on brand, but it was really quite a whiff.

mina01
July 4th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Another Avocado oil fan :-) I also love to use Castor oil

Whirled_peas
July 5th, 2016, 07:46 PM
So many oils to try, I want them all!