PDA

View Full Version : At what percentage of white hair did you have start to look overall white?

cathair
July 3rd, 2016, 12:51 PM
I've just been combing my hair out and noticed it's become yet another stage more white.

It's been 100% white by my ears for a long time now, but the very front was hanging on to being dark. I had white streaks coming in along my parting on top of my head.

This evening I was looking at the very front and I would guess it's probably 50% white now. Yet over all it doesn't look white. I can see the white very clearly if I look at a clump of hair, but in the mirror it still looks dark(ish). Maybe thinner than it is and dark-ish because the white is so close my my skin colour, but not white over all.

To those of you that have white hair, I was wondering. At what percentage of white did your hair actually start to look white overall, as a whole?

Edit: sorry, I stuffed the thread title up. I hope you understand what I mean.

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2016, 01:24 PM
I think that will take a long time for me to even be able to have any real input on that but i image with my natural black hair even only 10% left would result in something looking more silvery grey than white, bit all older people in my family do have gleaming white, full and fluffy hair so i guess that'll be the case for me too some day.

eadwine
July 3rd, 2016, 01:31 PM
Same for me. I have maybe 5 gray hairs that I can find on my head, my grandmother of 91 just lately got to be more white than black.. I wager overall on the entire head should be 75% white before -I- would start to call it white.

cathair
July 3rd, 2016, 01:43 PM
That's quite possibly true MINAKO, the dark does seem to overpower the white. I can imagine your hair still being stunning gleaming white! :) I think mine will get there too, it runs in the family. It's just a question of when.

It's interesting you put it like that eadwine 'before -I- would start to call it white'. I'm not sure what to call my hair any more. I think the white has knocked out any red there ever was in my hair, it seems very ashy. Even without the blue bits. But it doesn't feel grey overall yet, it feels stripy brown and white. Perhaps it does look grey to the causal observer though. That's impressive your grandmother got to such at age still with some darker hair!

I guess I'm partly wondering what I should call it and partly wondering when it will start to look more light than dark.

lapushka
July 3rd, 2016, 01:59 PM
I think it depends how you go white. Mine looks like a salt 'n pepper shaker went through it, lightly, so it still looks quite normal. I might be 3% gray. But if you go white in streaks, yeah, that's different.

eadwine
July 3rd, 2016, 02:25 PM
That's impressive your grandmother got to such at age still with some darker hair!

It must be in my genes as well.. I am 43 now, so.. quite nice. Gray hair is definitely not stress related for me, because I would have been white some 15 years ago then :lol:

Anje
July 3rd, 2016, 03:01 PM
Pretty high, I think, depending on starting color. 90% white on black hair might still look grey compared to 90% on platinum blonde. (Heck, in photography, "18% grey" {presumably 82% white} is considered midtone. But that's color mixing and pigments...) On a warm tone, it'll probably to look warm tinted until almost all the hair is white.