PDA

View Full Version : Please help me get rid of this gold/ginger colour?

Flossiebell
July 2nd, 2016, 07:39 AM
Hi everyone
I admit I am obsessive over my hair but I have a huge issue right now. My natural hair colour is ash brown. Having dyed my hair a few times it now always fades to a golden gingery brown colour and I hate it, it really isn't 'me'. The last 2 times i had it dyed at a salon and they put ash brown dye on it, both times the golden/gingery colour shines through. The hairdresser said that it was because of dye build up. So after a week from hell (had a miscarriage and am emotionally rubbish) I dyed it black this morning at home in a futile attempt to not be the person I was last week (pathetic I know). Black really is way too dark for me so hoping that will fade a bit as it was a semi. But in the sun I can still see gold/ginger through the black. How is this possible? It is the bane of my life right now. Seriously considering shaving my head to get rid of it, but is there anything less drastic you can suggest? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
Ps sorry for the long post

Obsidian
July 2nd, 2016, 08:04 AM
There is a product called color oops that will remove box dye colors. Since your hair is pretty dark, you might need to do 2 treatments. Make absolutely sure you follow directions, the rinse out is extremely important.

There is still a chance your hair might still have a bit of golden color to it but a good colorist should be able to cover that with a ashy toner, not a dye.

lapushka
July 2nd, 2016, 08:38 AM
Maybe that's just the undertone of your hair that peeks through after a while; if it's at the roots as well.

Flossiebell
July 2nd, 2016, 08:51 AM
It's not at the roots, just wherever dye has touched it. if it was uniform it wouldn't bother me as much 😕

Fru fru
July 2nd, 2016, 08:54 AM
Purple toner may help. There's a Vidal Sassoon one that I've used for the same problem but I can't think of the name.

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage :grouphug:

Anje
July 2nd, 2016, 09:03 AM
Sounds like you need a purple or blue toner. Might be something you can diy with a semi permanent direct dye, even. My guess is that developers like peroxide are bringing out that tone in your hair, so I think I'd try fixing it with dyes that don't use one.

Unfortunately, that black box dye probably hasn't helped the situation.

Flossiebell
July 5th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Do me a favour? If I ever think of dyeing my hair again...stop me by whatever means necessary? I used colour b4 then put a light ashy colour on top which has come out very dark reddish brown and my scalp is not very happy/sore to the point that I have to leave my hair down all the time. I cannot put oils near my scalp due to major shedding so it's time to suck it up and just leave it be. One day I will learn, honest! Lol