PDA

View Full Version : Can you stop using conditioner?

Dewdrop
July 1st, 2016, 07:51 PM
Hi lovely longhairs!

I was wondering about conditioners. I've always used them,sometimes multiple ones at once,and I've had some that I loved and some that weren't for me. However, my hair is now past my butt and logically very, very heavy so I've lost all volume AND there's no movement i my hair. And I'll be honest, I can live without volume but not with hair that hangs down like heavy, stiff brocade.
So I was thinking, to cut or not to cut? I really didn't want to so finally I figured to just give up on conditioner; if my hair got ruined I'd cut it anyway.
I'm now six weeks in and amazingly, my hair is really soft, and hasn't lost any moisture at all(even though the weather is a lot warmer) and I now have some volume back, and most importantly it is back to moving with me!!! I don't use any products either, just the face-oil that's still on my palms after nightly moisturizing. I also don't use any combs or boar-bristled brush (I had tried a Denman), because my hair gets so wrecked by them, so I don't think I'm combing the natural sebum of my hair through my hair either. I just shampoo every 3-4 days with Urtekram shampoo and that's it (a natural, sls and co. free brand).
Now I'm really curious if anyone else out there also decided to not use any? I know here on the hair forum it's a running joke about conditioner bottles being too small, but if my hair is still alive I figure others must have tried it and liked it--or hated it. So, if you have an experience, wether good or bad, with going conditioner free please share! I totally expected to at least ruin my ends, but I'm pretty convinced now that it's totally doable and I've very interested in others' experiences!

Thank you for reading, and do answer me even if it totally failed!

xx:blossom::pegasus:

turtlelover
July 1st, 2016, 08:00 PM
I think I'd have dreadlocks within a week, but then, I am a type 2B. If NO conditioner at all ends up not working, could you use a little bit of spray on leave in just in the very ends? Might be a good compromise. :-)

Garnetgem
July 1st, 2016, 08:57 PM
I have stopped using conditioner since 3 months and so far so good my hair has improved in condition..it seems to have volume now and so much easier to manage it is now at classic so am surprised at how well cutting conditioner out has done for it..before it was limp and very tangle prone and i was always battling the residue but now its even has shine...funny how something that is supposed to condition actually makes it unmanageable..i tried many i have so many bottles none really helped so one day i decided to stop i was nervous of how it would turn out,i had images in my mind of a clumped mess but hey its never been better! no going back for me :) i thought i was the only one to do this..

truepeacenik
July 1st, 2016, 09:06 PM
Six weeks is how many washes, for you?

Any changes I implement take about 10 washes before showing their true nature.

What I can get away with is conditioner on the last 7-10 inches only, no cones.

lithostoic
July 1st, 2016, 09:09 PM
My hair would be getting yanked out in clumps from tangling. When I clarify sometimes I don't use conditioner after and my hair has zero slip. I can't do braids at all because of tangling.

Decoy24601
July 1st, 2016, 09:15 PM
I can't stop using conditioners altogether (whether it's a storebought conditioner or an herbal one). I have some hair at the back of my head that has a tendency to dread and tangle badly. My hair is also prone to kinking and knotting. However, I noticed that my hair was becoming very limp when using conditioner everyday. I tried using it less and doing WO, but washing my hair with water every day gave it an odd texture and dried it out. On Tuesday I used shampoo and conditioned and Wednesday I did a fermented rice-water soak with an herbal tea rinse and my hair is only starting to feel a little greasy. Any time my ends feel a bit dry, I use a hair-moisturizer on the ends (R&B by LUSH, one tub lasts forever and I highly recommend it).

For me, fermented rice water soaks have done way more for my hair than any conditioner. It gives my hair shine and volume and makes it feel very moisturized. I think it also detangled my hair slightly.

lillielil
July 1st, 2016, 09:18 PM
I believe SWR uses just shampoo and no conditioner, and her hair is gorgeous. It is all about what works for you.

school of fish
July 1st, 2016, 09:34 PM
Others can, but I can't ;)

I went a few years using a gentle, no-sulphate shampoo and no conditioner, and my hair very slow and steadily became like a straw broom. It happened so gradually I didn't notice it happening. Eventually I cottoned on and switched to a daily CO washing routine with a twice-weekly sulphate shampoos, and my hair feels like hair again - really good hair :)

Some can, some can't - very much YMMV :)

CurlyCap
July 1st, 2016, 10:35 PM
lol

hahahahahhah

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!

(No.)

H o n є y ❤
July 1st, 2016, 11:18 PM
Maybe if I replaced it with lots of oil but then I think I would have to wash my hair more often...which i don't want to do.

Anje
July 1st, 2016, 11:59 PM
I did WO for about 8 months, so no regular conditioner use during that, though I grabbed it a few times for extra cleansing. My hair wasn't damaged, but it does better with conditioner. Usually I prefer something light. Maybe you would too?

Saige
July 2nd, 2016, 12:00 AM
I don't use conditioner. I haven't touched it in about 5 years and my hair is fine without it. I oil my ends before I shower, then I use some mild shampoo on the roots and let the suds rinse down the length. I'll oil again when it's dry if it needs it but it's usually fine.

Estrid
July 2nd, 2016, 12:20 AM
When I was younger I left out the conditioner and went only with shampoo. I did it because I was lazy, though :p I sometimes do it now as well, but then I need a good shampoo (meaning: a shampoo that makes my hair feel light and nice). I remember telling this to a hairdresser when I was 19, and she looked horrifyed and sayd: "oh nooo you need conditioner to restore the electron blablabla in your hair!". I remember that this made me really confused :redgrin:

Back to the topic, though. I know it works fine to rule out conditioner for me, I did it for years and years in my teens. My hair gets more airy, gets more volume, and I can go longer without washing it. I never noticed any difference in the tangle-department, but then my hair rarely tangled at the lengths I had when I was a teen (neck to apl, mostly). Buuuut then again, conditioner doesn't seem to help much with the tangles as it is now either. Conditioner feels great when I'm in the shower, but as soon as my hair is dry again I can't really tell a difference.

adrenaline
July 2nd, 2016, 01:01 AM
Many, many years ago i used conditioner, but my hair seems to dislike to be treated with so much care/oils/butters/..., so after using conditioner, my hair was without volume and just hung down, i didn't like the outcome! So i stopped using conditioner, i only use shampoo and few weeks ago i started to distribute a drop of oil (mostly olive oil) into my lengths to avoid frizz. I don't think that there is any need to use conditioner (at least not for everyone), if it doesn't work for you, save the money and like already mentioned, use rather some leave-in or something like that :o

Stepo_NiNha
July 2nd, 2016, 01:37 AM
Some yes, some cannot. It depends on what your hair wants at the moment and what some hair types like/dislike. I personally use more conditioner and masks in summer from my shoulder to the ends, but during winter I just put a little in the ends because the rest is still moisturized. Some people would feel they dont lose moisture easily whilst others would feel they need conditioner almost everyday, according to their hair type, wheather and lifestyle. If you dont feel the need of using conditioner, dont use it :) maybe in some months your hair will ask for more moisture but right now it doesnt seem like it needs it.

Upside Down
July 2nd, 2016, 03:08 AM
I went without condish for a while, but I also did egg wash, rosemary rinses and oils. My hair was just fine. I went back to shampoo and condish because it is just plain easier.

Inforgot to add that most hair types need slip fir detangling, so you don't break hair in the process.

littlestarface
July 2nd, 2016, 03:23 AM
I heard indian women never used conditioner before, only oiling before washing their hair and this would act as a conditioning to their hair and they had such beautiful long and thick hair. So ya lots do it especially when done right.

Hairkay
July 2nd, 2016, 04:08 AM
I could count the times I used conditioner on one had when I was in my teens. I was used to daily WO and a weekly shampoo. Hair got oiled daily too. I did find that my hair felt dryer when I moved countries. That was part of the reason my hair used to break off at the ends at BSL. It's taken me years to finally explore DIY hair masks including henna glosses. I could not rely on manufactured shampoos and conditioners due to allergies. That's all the conditioning I need.

lapushka
July 2nd, 2016, 06:09 AM
I'm sorry. I can't go without conditioner. I condition twice even, after washing, and I need it because I use a sulfate shampoo which is kind of drying on the rest of my hair. If there's a less potent conditioner in my mix, I feel it, because then I'll have some tangles. Now? None, virtually none. And that's how I like it. I don't want the heavy manipulation of having knots and tangles in my wet hair when I'm detangling. No, thank you!

Carolyn
July 2nd, 2016, 08:57 AM
Honestly I would kill for hair like yours. I love it when mine feels heavy and I do everything I can to make it heavy and weighed down. On days when my hair feels nice and heavy I can't stop playing with it and gazing at it in the mirror and thinking OMG it's perfect today. I guess people want what they don't have.

To answer your question, some can go without conditioner but I would say the majority can't. It depends on your hair type, how you want it to look and the styles you do.

velvet orchid
July 2nd, 2016, 11:45 AM
I had a similar experience to school of fish, I liked it at first but over time I started to realize that my hair was not happy and returned to conditioners. It's like I've heard so many times on this forum... it's not about what you want, it's what your hair wants that matters 😝

nakima
July 2nd, 2016, 12:33 PM
Wow This is kind of ironic because this past week I stopped using conditioner for the same reasons. I had remembered years ago I never use conditioner and then one day my hair became dry so I started using it, well lately my hair has become umm not really heavy but flat? no movement, as of now my hair feels alive again and so I think I will continue until my hair tells me otherwise. I will say that I do put some oil on the ends tho for protection.

nakima
July 2nd, 2016, 12:36 PM
When I was younger I left out the conditioner and went only with shampoo. I did it because I was lazy, though :p I sometimes do it now as well, but then I need a good shampoo (meaning: a shampoo that makes my hair feel light and nice). I remember telling this to a hairdresser when I was 19, and she looked horrifyed and sayd: "oh nooo you need conditioner to restore the electron blablabla in your hair!". I remember that this made me really confused :redgrin:

Back to the topic, though. I know it works fine to rule out conditioner for me, I did it for years and years in my teens. My hair gets more airy, gets more volume, and I can go longer without washing it. I never noticed any difference in the tangle-department, but then my hair rarely tangled at the lengths I had when I was a teen (neck to apl, mostly). Buuuut then again, conditioner doesn't seem to help much with the tangles as it is now either. Conditioner feels great when I'm in the shower, but as soon as my hair is dry again I can't really tell a difference.

I had friends back in the day that were horrified that I didn't use conditioner. funny looking back on it now. People can be so funny if your out of the norm :)

Olavi
July 2nd, 2016, 02:33 PM
I haven't used rinse-off conditioners regularly for few years (I think?). I still have few bottles, but I can't bother, my hair feels like plastic, and is way too slippery to my taste w

My tips are:

1) Comb or brush your hair before washing, to distribute sebum.
2) Try to choose really gentle and/or conditioning shampoos.
3) Only lather the canopy unless you really have some dirt or oil etc. on the lengths (sebum doesn't count)

I'm currently experimenting with 2-in-1 oil shampoo, but I only have washed with it two times, so I can't really tell how well it have worked (so far it looks promising).

enting
July 2nd, 2016, 03:00 PM
I've been starting to play around with using conditioner again, but I haven't used conditioner regularly (or at all) in roughly 5 1/2 years. I started using vinegar rinses in place of conditioner and after the initial adjustment period, I found that my hair actually played more nicely with the vinegar than with the conditioner! In the last year or so my hair has gotten a bit grumpy and tangly, so I've been experimenting with using different shampoos and a little bit of conditioner, but I'm not sure that's what it needs. It's definitely something that varies from person to person.

EdG
July 2nd, 2016, 03:39 PM
People had long hair before conditioners were invented. :)

The body makes its own conditioner - sebum. It works well. The trick is not to wash it out completely. Washing with diluted shampoo or water-only retains the body's natural conditioner.
Ed

Dewdrop
July 2nd, 2016, 05:27 PM
Firstoff all, thank you everyone for the overwhelming response! Second, I have now learned how to multiquote-reply!

I think I'd have dreadlocks within a week, but then, I am a type 2B. If NO conditioner at all ends up not working, could you use a little bit of spray on leave in just in the very ends? Might be a good compromise. :-)
I can imagine, I only have a 1c at most! And a leave in is definitely the next step if it stops working!

I have stopped using conditioner since 3 months and so far so good my hair has improved in condition..it seems to have volume now and so much easier to manage it is now at classic so am surprised at how well cutting conditioner out has done for it..before it was limp and very tangle prone and i was always battling the residue but now its even has shine...funny how something that is supposed to condition actually makes it unmanageable..i tried many i have so many bottles none really helped so one day i decided to stop i was nervous of how it would turn out,i had images in my mind of a clumped mess but hey its never been better! no going back for me :) i thought i was the only one to do this..
Yeah, twinsies! I no longer have velcro ends so it's kind of a miracle imo. And very few worked well for me as well, most made my hair look shiny but it felt stiff.

Six weeks is how many washes, for you?

Any changes I implement take about 10 washes before showing their true nature.

What I can get away with is conditioner on the last 7-10 inches only, no cones.

I had to think about it, but I estimate it's been about 12 washes I think? And for me, cones never really mattered. But I'm glad your routine works for you!

My hair would be getting yanked out in clumps from tangling. When I clarify sometimes I don't use conditioner after and my hair has zero slip. I can't do braids at all because of tangling.
that sucks :( Maybe if you braid very slowly and not too tight it'llbe a bit better? also Ktani's catnip tea worked pretty well for me, but I infused it in oil when I tried it!

I can't stop using conditioners altogether (whether it's a storebought conditioner or an herbal one). I have some hair at the back of my head that has a tendency to dread and tangle badly. My hair is also prone to kinking and knotting. However, I noticed that my hair was becoming very limp when using conditioner everyday. I tried using it less and doing WO, but washing my hair with water every day gave it an odd texture and dried it out. On Tuesday I used shampoo and conditioned and Wednesday I did a fermented rice-water soak with an herbal tea rinse and my hair is only starting to feel a little greasy. Any time my ends feel a bit dry, I use a hair-moisturizer on the ends (R&B by LUSH, one tub lasts forever and I highly recommend it).

For me, fermented rice water soaks have done way more for my hair than any conditioner. It gives my hair shine and volume and makes it feel very moisturized. I think it also detangled my hair slightly.
I just read the rice water thread, it sounds very interesting so I plan on trying next wash. But I have such a sensitive scalp I have to use shampoo every 4 days or the itch gets out of control, so WO is out for me. Fortunately my hair doesn't really tangle.

I believe SWR uses just shampoo and no conditioner, and her hair is gorgeous. It is all about what works for you.
*blushes* who is SWR? I'd love to see her hair!

Others can, but I can't ;)

I went a few years using a gentle, no-sulphate shampoo and no conditioner, and my hair very slow and steadily became like a straw broom. It happened so gradually I didn't notice it happening. Eventually I cottoned on and switched to a daily CO washing routine with a twice-weekly sulphate shampoos, and my hair feels like hair again - really good hair :)

Some can, some can't - very much YMMV :)
That's great that you worked it out! I know I had the same problem with my scalp when I washed only once a week, more and more flakes and itch, then I started washing more often and boom my scalp was better again!

lol

hahahahahhah

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

(No.)

I really had to laugh at this XD And I adore your hair!

Maybe if I replaced it with lots of oil but then I think I would have to wash my hair more often...which i don't want to do.
Yeah I only ever oil lightly too!

I did WO for about 8 months, so no regular conditioner use during that, though I grabbed it a few times for extra cleansing. My hair wasn't damaged, but it does better with conditioner. Usually I prefer something light. Maybe you would too?
Can I ask what you use now? light sounds nice but I've found most volume conditioners to still be kind of heavy!

Nini
July 2nd, 2016, 05:46 PM
I haven't used conditioners in at least 15 years, apart from the occational hairtreatment I've tried, but I'm too lazy to ever stick with anything fancy;)

I use Urtekram too, and I clarify once in a while, usually when I stay in hotels and use their shampoo. I actually tried a conditioner for the first time in forever this week since I stayed at a spa hotel where they had sls free shampoo and a condish that looked decent. Didn't really do much for me though;)

Dewdrop
July 2nd, 2016, 06:11 PM
I don't use conditioner. I haven't touched it in about 5 years and my hair is fine without it. I oil my ends before I shower, then I use some mild shampoo on the roots and let the suds rinse down the length. I'll oil again when it's dry if it needs it but it's usually fine.
That sounds extremely promising! Thank you for sharing that!

Your hairdresser sounded like conditioner is some sort of motor-oil for a microwave, lol! And without conditioner my hair is less tangly its funny. I'll be honest, when I was younger I was so lazy I never really brushed--even thoughI insisted on having long hair!

Many, many years ago i used conditioner, but my hair seems to dislike to be treated with so much care/oils/butters/..., so after using conditioner, my hair was without volume and just hung down, i didn't like the outcome! So i stopped using conditioner, i only use shampoo and few weeks ago i started to distribute a drop of oil (mostly olive oil) into my lengths to avoid frizz. I don't think that there is any need to use conditioner (at least not for everyone), if it doesn't work for you, save the money and like already mentioned, use rather some leave-in or something like that :o
Another really promising reply! I put a tiny bit of oil in every day, so I think I have same same effect as you do. Saving the money also sounds pretty good!

Some yes, some cannot. It depends on what your hair wants at the moment and what some hair types like/dislike. I personally use more conditioner and masks in summer from my shoulder to the ends, but during winter I just put a little in the ends because the rest is still moisturized. Some people would feel they dont lose moisture easily whilst others would feel they need conditioner almost everyday, according to their hair type, wheather and lifestyle. If you dont feel the need of using conditioner, dont use it :) maybe in some months your hair will ask for more moisture but right now it doesnt seem like it needs it.
I plan to do it like you suggested. For now it looks like I don't need any!

I went without condish for a while, but I also did egg wash, rosemary rinses and oils. My hair was just fine. I went back to shampoo and condish because it is just plain easier.

Inforgot to add that most hair types need slip fir detangling, so you don't break hair in the process.
I've never tried an herb rinse, only oil infusions, but rosemary sounds really nice. And I'll remember to be careful.

I heard indian women never used conditioner before, only oiling before washing their hair and this would act as a conditioning to their hair and they had such beautiful long and thick hair. So ya lots do it especially when done right.
Yeah, they do have the most gorgeous hair! unfortunately my hair isn't as thick as theirs.

I could count the times I used conditioner on one had when I was in my teens. I was used to daily WO and a weekly shampoo. Hair got oiled daily too. I did find that my hair felt dryer when I moved countries. That was part of the reason my hair used to break off at the ends at BSL. It's taken me years to finally explore DIY hair masks including henna glosses. I could not rely on manufactured shampoos and conditioners due to allergies. That's all the conditioning I need.
Oh man allergies suck. But DIY doesn't!it's wonderful that you didn't give up!

I'm sorry. I can't go without conditioner. I condition twice even, after washing, and I need it because I use a sulfate shampoo which is kind of drying on the rest of my hair. If there's a less potent conditioner in my mix, I feel it, because then I'll have some tangles. Now? None, virtually none. And that's how I like it. I don't want the heavy manipulation of having knots and tangles in my wet hair when I'm detangling. No, thank you!
No need to apologize :P! I wish I could use a sulfate shampoo, mostly they're much more affordable (and have those wonderful smells! I think you're a Dutchie, Guhl moisture shampoo, the orange-ish bottle? pure heaven. Bought in a pinch on vacation, I only used it once but I just smell it from time to time) than the bio store-ones. Unfortunately my hair riots like a B when it only senses sulfates. Also wet detangling is the stuff myths are made of, I have never been able to do that without some serious damage!

Honestly I would kill for hair like yours. I love it when mine feels heavy and I do everything I can to make it heavy and weighed down. On days when my hair feels nice and heavy I can't stop playing with it and gazing at it in the mirror and thinking OMG it's perfect today. I guess people want what they don't have.

To answer your question, some can go without conditioner but I would say the majority can't. It depends on your hair type, how you want it to look and the styles you do.
We could trade? I love it when my hair looks more alive, like lived in? Ah, the grass is always greener on the other side. I can recommend honey, that made my hair the heaviest, shiniest most moisturized ever!

I had a similar experience to school of fish, I liked it at first but over time I started to realize that my hair was not happy and returned to conditioners. It's like I've heard so many times on this forum... it's not about what you want, it's what your hair wants that matters 😝
All must bow down to their overlords and -ladies mwuhahahaha!

Wow This is kind of ironic because this past week I stopped using conditioner for the same reasons. I had remembered years ago I never use conditioner and then one day my hair became dry so I started using it, well lately my hair has become umm not really heavy but flat? no movement, as of now my hair feels alive again and so I think I will continue until my hair tells me otherwise. I will say that I do put some oil on the ends tho for protection.
I'm so glad I'm not alone!

I had friends back in the day that were horrified that I didn't use conditioner. funny looking back on it now. People can be so funny if your out of the norm :)
Oh yeah. I've got a collection of tattoos, I've got lots of experience with that :P.

I haven't used rinse-off conditioners regularly for few years (I think?). I still have few bottles, but I can't bother, my hair feels like plastic, and is way too slippery to my taste w

My tips are:

1) Comb or brush your hair before washing, to distribute sebum.
2) Try to choose really gentle and/or conditioning shampoos.
3) Only lather the canopy unless you really have some dirt or oil etc. on the lengths (sebum doesn't count)

I'm currently experimenting with 2-in-1 oil shampoo, but I only have washed with it two times, so I can't really tell how well it have worked (so far it looks promising).
Do you have a thread where you documentthe process, I'm curious! and combs are out for me. I always, always get terrible split ends even when I use wooden, carefully oiled, sanded down combs :(

I've been starting to play around with using conditioner again, but I haven't used conditioner regularly (or at all) in roughly 5 1/2 years. I started using vinegar rinses in place of conditioner and after the initial adjustment period, I found that my hair actually played more nicely with the vinegar than with the conditioner! In the last year or so my hair has gotten a bit grumpy and tangly, so I've been experimenting with using different shampoos and a little bit of conditioner, but I'm not sure that's what it needs. It's definitely something that varies from person to person.
more good news! I am trying the vinegar soon, what dilution ratio did you use? and maybe your water changed, from soft to hard, that was a problem for me some time ago?

The body makes its own conditioner - sebum. It works well. The trick is not to wash it out completely. Washing with diluted shampoo or water-only retains the body's natural conditioner.
Ed
Hi Ed! I know the true experts here know how to handle their sebum, but my scalp hates being too oily. so far I haven't had much success with WO or dilutions, but I'll keep trying.

Again, every one, thank you very much for responding!!

Dewdrop
July 2nd, 2016, 06:13 PM
15 years! *starry eyes* man that is amazing! would you say your hair is porous or not?
Thanks for the info!

Cherrys
July 2nd, 2016, 07:00 PM
I never use conditioner. I wash my hair every three weeks or so, with just water or with honey, and maybe once every 4 months with a standard shampoo, and I oil the length occasionally, so I feel like my hair is plenty moisturized and protected and that conditioner just makes it sticky and gross.

yahirwaO.o
July 2nd, 2016, 07:27 PM
Until a month ago, I was just fine with the occasional hair mask or ACV, but I just washed it with shampoo most of times and looked decent. The I saw this most marvelous and cheapo conditioner in my local area and just feel in love with it. My fine hair usually gets weight down with regular condtioner so easily and this one washes out so easily without residue feeling going on. I've even co wash with it and it left my hair amazing.

I have flyways in my hair no matter what I do, but this one helps fairly good and Im so surprised

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y375/Marino_Torocho/20160606_213033_zps9lwiyhuq.jpg (http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/Marino_Torocho/media/20160606_213033_zps9lwiyhuq.jpg.html)

... but sure ACV, oiling and brushing the sebum are good alternatives!!!!

Mimha
July 2nd, 2016, 07:57 PM
Firstoff all, thank you everyone for the overwhelming response! Second, I have now learned how to multiquote-reply!
(...)

Hi Dewdrop. You have forgotten to quote the most important message :

Ed

This is the simple very truth. People have been so brainwashed by the industrial lobbies and have been using conditioner since so long that it has become part of their life and they have completely forgotten that hair is not meant to by "treated" at all... except if we thoroughly wash off day after day its natural protection with shampoos, manufactured by the same lobbies. But well... even in here there are very few people who are really ready to listen to this, pretexting with conviction that their hair needs conditioner. I prefer to say that their brain has been conditioned into thinking this. Then I would say : just go on spending useless money, polluting the planet and wondering why you have dandruff, greasy/itchy scalp or SD, and rush to buy another product to "clarify" or "repair" the mess : this is another additional good business for the same people. The vicious circle is so well done that even hairdressers themselves are brainwashed into believing, promoting and selling this politic. Hear me well : I don't accuse anyone. I just like to be a little provocative because I would like people to stop one minute and think it over. Think about this tremendous business and profit, and this politic of need-creating, making millions of people dependent of a product that was just not existing a few decades ago.

I have never used conditioners because I have never felt the real need of it. When I was a kid, my family had no money, and conditioners were not a common product used in low class European families. I have all my life used very little shampoo anyway, that I dilute before use (both to save money, and also because it works as well with half the quantity if you mix it with water). I also never wash my hair twice, despite hairdressers' recommendation. You should never trust a hairdresser, should you ? ;) If I wash twice, my scalp rebels right away by producing an indecent amount of sebum. Of course, I have occasionally tried some different samples of conditioners, generously handed out by some pharmacist or beauty shop sellers. Who can know before they try, right ? So I have tried. And I say NO. Every time I apply conditioner on my hair, I freak out as I feel my hair vanishing into nothingness in the water flow. What sorcery/chemical/surfactant do they put in it to produce this effect ?? Once, I applied it on my whole head, by ignorance. I lost handfuls of hair ! shudder: I freaked out again. Why did I try again, then ? Out of hearing people repeating the well know lesson that a long hair just CAN'T live without conditioner. And that some of them even wash their hair with it only, in belief that it is less damaging or less chemical than shampoo. Less chemical, certainly not. Less damaging for what or for whom ? Not the fish, for sure. Have you seen how much water is necessary to wash that cr*** away, whatever the amount used ?

Well. You have understood that I am not a conditioner lover. Why should I ? My hair is in its best shape ever since I work in balancing my sebum production both by stretching washes to once a week and going on with scalp-only washing with diluted low impact soft shampoo. In short, I just wash enough to get rid of the sweat, dust and pollution, but not enough to thoroughly wash all the sebum away. And once my hair is almost dry, I softly brush my ends with my greasy brush before I clean it for the week to come. Sebum is the key. Sebum is tailor made for your hair ! Sebum also allows your scalp to maintain a healthy bacterial environment that will prevent fungus flare-ups and itch. Of course, it is sometimes quite long to adapt this less-is-more routine to achieve good results, especially if you have been using tons of products during years. It is even more difficult if you don't have virgin hair, because hair that has been heated, bleached or dyed is more fragile and doesn't "respond normally" anymore.

I am now over 50, and my hair has never been so beautiful. My total dream would be to go WO (because of my ecological concerns) but I'm still not able to achieve it. To condition my hair, I apply some drops of oil sometimes, very scarcely, on the lower half of my length only. I use some ACV rinse too as I have hard water, but this is it. Maybe I have a little more work to detangle than a co-user, but it is compensated by the time (and water) spared in fastidious rinsing. I love my hair and how healthy, soft and shiny it is - even if it is not the longest or the thickest in here - and every day I am amazed to see that the less I impact on it with stuff or handling, the better it is. It's worth giving it a thought if you have doubts about conditioners.

gthlvrmx
July 2nd, 2016, 09:27 PM
I grew up not using conditioner. I started using conditioner after I learned more about it here on LHC. Yes, you can live without conditioner, but it may not give you the results you want every single time. It really depends on the person and situation.

Deborah
July 2nd, 2016, 09:50 PM
I have not used conditioner for a number of years, and don't miss it one bit. I have fine, silky, straight hair. Probably that make is easier than for some with other types of hair.

Dessi
July 2nd, 2016, 10:42 PM
It feels a little dry if I don't use conditioner, so I never skip it. But I stopped applying it from ears down a long time ago. (My hair felt kinda sticky then).Now I use it only on the last 6 inches of my hair and I'm happy this way. :D

Roscata
July 3rd, 2016, 12:38 AM
I used just sulfate-free shampoo and no conditioner or oil this was pre-LHC and my length acted great, but my scalp not so much (turns out I was allergic to one of the ingredients in the shampoo).
It is true that about once a month I need to do something to remove the conditioner/oil build-up or else my hair looks terrible: my waves don't look nice, my hair feels heavy (as opposed to fluffy), oily and clumps together weirdly. So, after reading this thread I kind of want to go back to no conditioner.
I'd like to thank you Mimha for your post! I found it very informative and truly inspiring. :flower:

sparkle'n'bling
July 3rd, 2016, 02:45 AM
I've used conditioner only a handful of times, and not at all for 5+ years. I never liked how heavy/greasy it made my hair feel. My hair is now knee length, so presumably it doesn't mind the lack of conditioner.

saaraelisabeth
July 3rd, 2016, 04:24 AM
I HAVE TO use conditioner, if I don't, my hair becomes a disaster - really dry and gets tangled all the time. I have naturally curly/wavy hair so it needs moisturation regularly. I had this phase about two years ago when I never used conditioner and my hair was really bad. I also do oilings and eat healthy etc. but I need my conditioner as well!

lapushka
July 3rd, 2016, 04:45 AM
No need to apologize :P! I wish I could use a sulfate shampoo, mostly they're much more affordable (and have those wonderful smells! I think you're a Dutchie, Guhl moisture shampoo, the orange-ish bottle? pure heaven. Bought in a pinch on vacation, I only used it once but I just smell it from time to time) than the bio store-ones. Unfortunately my hair riots like a B when it only senses sulfates. Also wet detangling is the stuff myths are made of, I have never been able to do that without some serious damage!

Nope, I'm from Belgium. Neighbor to Dutchies. ;) We can get Guhl here, not sure about the orangish bottle, though. I do have a few Guhl shampoos left in my stash, but they do contain silicones, and my regimen is mostly shampoos + sulfates - silicones (I have seborrheic dermatitis and oily hair and I tend to avoid silicones on my scalp). So... yeah... :D The bottles will get used up though. If I can interchange the washes with a regular sulfate shampoo, I'm fine!

Marika
July 3rd, 2016, 06:28 AM
I've always used conditioner (since childhood) but lately I've been playing with the idea of skipping it. Or at least cutting down the amount of conditioner I use. Recently I stopped using my leave-in products (serums, oils etc.) and my hair feels a lot silkier and less dry and "sticky". It also feels thicker because it's not so flat anymore.

Theobroma
July 3rd, 2016, 08:10 AM
I haven't used conditioner for at least two years. My hair's at classic and has never been healthier or softer.

Mind you, I don't use shampoo; I wash with soap. Following up with a vinegar rinse and applying coconut oil while my hair is still wet gives me happy hair that's as soft as when I still used to use conditioner without having to put up with scented product (or, for that matter, excessive shedding if the stuff gets on my scalp). Every shampoo I ever tried made my hair feel like straw -- and the Urtekram you mention was the worst offender ever. It made my hair completely uncombable and came within an ace of actually felting it!

lapushka
July 3rd, 2016, 08:25 AM
In my teens we didn't have conditioner available in this country, not by the big brands in any case. This is the 80s (most of my teens), then late eighties then early 90s. I just used Garnier Fructis, and of course it was laden with cones at the time. Even more than now. So I actually didn't need conditioner.

It's different now. Shampoos have gotten to be harsher, because there is something like conditioner, which I like because my scalp has vastly different needs than my lengths!

Anje
July 3rd, 2016, 12:10 PM
I usually use Suave Naturals Aloe & Waterlily, though I don't think there's much difference in the scents except for the coconut one, which contains protein. (My hair didn't like that, but many people prefer it. Also, I object to smelling like food.) I've been known to dilute it, too.

Just curious, when was the last time you clarified? A lot of what you describe sounds like buildup.

polarnatt
July 3rd, 2016, 12:53 PM
Out of curiosity I didn't use conditioner when I washed my hair today (except leave in afterwards), and I've gotta say, my hair feels less heavy and more voluminous. Didn't even frizz, which I was afraid of. I know, I know, one wash is not enough to tell you everything, but I feel like I might continue experimenting with no conditioner in the shower! :)

cathair
July 3rd, 2016, 01:14 PM
I clarify then dry my hair without conditioning before I dye it, then condition it after I wash out the dye. The top part feels fantastic, so smooth and I love the volume I get. But the ends are painfully grabby. Sometimes I put a tiny bit of conditioner on the ends just because I couldn't separate them without damaging them.

If I forgo conditioner for two washes, it ends up an big, poufy ball of grabby velcroiness all over. I think it's great for me to clarify, I think it really helps. But forgoing conditioner not so much.

endlessly
July 3rd, 2016, 01:20 PM
That's fascinating that going conditioner-free had such a positive effect on you! Does your shampoo contain any additional oils? You mentioned it being sulfate-free, so I'm curious to know what ingredients it has.

Personally, I've never tried to go without conditioner. It has happened on accident - meaning, I forgot to bring the conditioner into the shower or ran out and forgot to replace it - but, I don't think I'd ever purposely be able to cut it out of my routine without major repercussions! For me, part of that is do to me using shampoos pretty heavy with sulfates and while they are very gentle and I have been able to cut back on my conditioner usage, I doubt I'd ever be completely free of it.

You'll have to keep us updated with your progress!

MINAKO
July 3rd, 2016, 01:21 PM
I'm pretty sure people with naturally smooth hair and a good amount of natural sebum wouldn't really need to use any condish if hair is cleaned very very gently. Me personally, i wouldn't dare to try that, would result in a polish plait after a month maybe. :D

Nini
July 3rd, 2016, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure about the porosity of my hair. I more or less practice benign neglect due to being lazy:D

I let my hair airdry and the knots mostly slide out by themselves, and I untangle what's left with a widetoothed comb. That being said I never wear my hair down since it tangles when I think about it. But my main goal has always been a long braid, not to wear my hair loose. It wouldn't be practical anyway.

Zebra Fish
July 4th, 2016, 02:37 AM
I had the idea od ditching conditioner few times by now. Untill I realised that henna does't give a damn about anything, I would clarify before henna, dry it (without conditioner) and then henna. It would mostly all look good (and that is not a light shampoo). Now I just henna on "dirty" hair. I even used to wash with rye flour shampoo and with that I could probably go without conditioner, but out of convenience got back to S&C. My concern is how to go pass summer as I'm almost every day in the sea, soemtimes even twice a day. I oil and in the evening "wash" hair only with conditioner to get out most of the salt and oil so my hair doens't get dry. For the last two years I've been trying to think of a summer routine that could go without this much conditioner, but still didn't come with anything. If it was a lake or river, I wouldn't bother that much.

Dewdrop
July 4th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Hi Dewdrop. You have forgotten to quote the most important message :...have doubts about conditioners.

Hi Mimha, Thank you for you informative message. As I've already told EdG; I really admire every ' sebum master' on this forum. I don't by into most commercial hypes, and I know people had long hair before conditioners were invented. That's why I stopped using conditioner, because I think I can live without. But my scalp is a monster. If I wash too often or with too strong a product, my hair dries out, my scalp itches so badly I scratch it bloody in my sleep. but, if I wait too long--and I tried water only for about 3 months--my scalp also itches and acts out. I've found 4 days is the max that I can stretch washes in a regular washing schedule. I think if i had a year or so to try WO I would succeed, but I have school and a job and have to look 'professional'. The problems you mentioned with going WO very much apply to me.
As an aside in reltion to ecologic living, that's very important to me as well. I am a vegan (though far from perfect.)
I appreciate you message a lot, thank you for responding!

MlleMC
July 4th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I've been toying with this idea for a little while now. Up until this year, I never used conditioner at all, mostly because I couldn't find any that was perfume-free or hypoallergenic. Then someone gave me a sample that contained just a bit of perfume, so I decided to try it, and at first it didn't seem to cause any problem with my eczema, so I chose to keep using it. I eventually found a truly hypoallergenic brand, but it contains coconut oil, which my hair doesn't like much.

The thing is, I truly hate rinsing it out. And I'm starting to think that if my hair could live 24 years and grow to TBL without conditioner, I might just as well stop using it. Sure, my hair does look fairly good at the moment, but I've made other changes too, like stopping using heat, wearing up more often and reducing the amount of shampoo I use.

EdG
July 4th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Hi Mimha, Thank you for you informative message. As I've already told EdG; I really admire every ' sebum master' on this forum. I don't by into most commercial hypes, and I know people had long hair before conditioners were invented. That's why I stopped using conditioner, because I think I can live without. But my scalp is a monster. If I wash too often or with too strong a product, my hair dries out, my scalp itches so badly I scratch it bloody in my sleep. but, if I wait too long--and I tried water only for about 3 months--my scalp also itches and acts out. I've found 4 days is the max that I can stretch washes in a regular washing schedule. I think if i had a year or so to try WO I would succeed, but I have school and a job and have to look 'professional'. The problems you mentioned with going WO very much apply to me.
As an aside in reltion to ecologic living, that's very important to me as well. I am a vegan (though far from perfect.)
I appreciate you message a lot, thank you for responding!To be honest, my length is not in good shape.

Maybe try a scalp rinse every few days? It is pretty much a scalp-wash minus the shampoo. That keeps down the scalp problems for me.
Ed

meteor
July 4th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Most of my washes are Scalp-Only washes, where I only use a bit of diluted shampoo and no conditioner, obviously, since the length stays untouched.

I don't think it's ideal but I do sometimes skip conditioner even with full washes, usually for these reasons:

- I don't have time: with all the work and multiple lathering & rinsing it takes to get thick and long hair really clean, I sometimes just skip conditioning step in the shower (but I don't let myself do this more than only once every few months and only if humidity is normal/high).

- I've used heavy pre-poo treatment (usually oils or oil + honey) and I can sense that my hair simply won't need more conditioning.

- I want massive volume and more airy, fluffy, lighter in color hair for some reason and I want to stretch washes more.

- I have too much build-up on hair and want to reset things and get a sense of what my hair feels like without anything on.

If I skip conditioner, I do try to use leave-ins and oils/serums, but not always. Also, I don't skip conditioner multiple times in a row, because I think this can result in more dryness over time.

And I don't skip conditioner in low humidity and in winter-time, because we have super dry winters here and central heating can give me some static/frizz if I don't condition/oil pretty heavily.

Another thing is, some conditioners just don't add that much in terms of slip and kind of feel like they don't do anything... in that case, I'd rather skip it altogether.

I did grow up without using conditioner (who has time for that! :lol:) and my hair was in excellent condition at TBL or thereabouts, but I used much gentler, more conditioning, 2-in-1 types of shampoos and my hair was virgin, and virgin hair can get away with less conditioning overall. I have to say, if my hair was very curly, I probably wouldn't dare go without conditioner, unless it's an emergency type situation.

Again, I don't think it's ideal to skip conditioner (primarily because good conditioner reduces drag, adds slip during detangling - which is important for long hair), but it's doable for many hair types, especially if the shampoo and other treatments (e.g. oiling, leave-ins) are on point.

Arctic
July 4th, 2016, 12:11 PM
I can skip conditioner, for example before using shock colours I wash with clarifying shampoo and no conditoner. My hair is fine with that. But I haven't even tried any longer periods.

I have to say that I can't remember if there were conditoners when I was a child, possibly not, but there has been conditioners as long as I remember, and I have in general always used it after shampooing as a rule of thumb. But yeah, I could skip it at least every now and then. I have doubts that my wiry, kinky hairs wouldn't like being without any conditioner for long, though.

Beborani
July 4th, 2016, 12:42 PM
As others said humans have had long hair before condiitoners but that was also before shampoos. Most shampoos are anionic and often need conditioners to restore the balance of charge.

I don't know what western world used for washing but shikha and ritha (and chickpea/moong flour) used in India/ South Asia are not anionic and hence conditioners as we know it was not needed though oils were/are used before and after washes. When the urban elite shifted to shampoo in the 70s and 80s for supposed comvenience and 'awesome' hair, conditoners were not introduced in the market and many of us did have a difficult time with shampoo alone after initial euphoria. Those who could stayed with traditional methods of washing as much as they could and used shampoos only for emergencies.

On a personal level I prefer conditioner over shampoo for my hair so I use it to wash and condition but like everything else, it depends on the individual.

Ava Ruu
July 4th, 2016, 12:57 PM
I grew my hair past hip without conditioner or oils. I had a pixie and was washing with SLS-free shampoo bar. There was no need for a conditioner. Past hip my hair started to tangle more and I have now started to use a light conditioner and a detangling spray. I have fewer tangles and my hair is a bit softer but the difference is not huge. I think that I could still live without conditioner but that would mean using more oils and more time detangling. I don't take carry conditioner with me when traveling and see no negative effects from a couple of washes without it.

Washing with gram four sounds interesting! I might need to try that.

Toffeemonster
September 13th, 2016, 05:48 AM
I know this thread is a little old but thought I'd chime in because...*gasp* I never used conditioner. I just never did, I mean occasionally I would try one if it was there(like someone else bought it) but it never did anything particularly good for my hair and when my hair was at it's best(as in amazerballs) I did not use conditioner. So I know full well you can have great hair without conditioner and that any problems with my hair are probably due to something else. My hair is always very soft, in fact I once had to wash a friends hair, who used conditioners religiously, her hair looked lovely, but it felt like straw and knotted like crazy when washing. This really just confirmed for me that conditioners might just make hair appear healthier when it really isn't any better off, then again maybe she just had a different hair type to me. Either way I never feel it necessary or especially helpful, I much prefer anything in the way of a mask, tonic or leave in conditioner/oil, these things seem to help my hair alot more. I wash once a week and just shampoo followed by oil usually, which I normally reapply daily, my hair eats oil.

edit to include my hair is currently past tbl and has always been at least waistish length.

Miata
September 13th, 2016, 06:58 AM
My 16-year-old daughter has beautiful, MBL hair, very shiny and healthy, and she never uses conditioner. She just never started using it because it's an extra step to carry out and she hates being in the shower, so she likes to get in and out of there are fast as possible! :p

Nymphe
September 13th, 2016, 07:01 AM
For years, I could not figure out why my scalp got flaky, whether or not I was doing the CG method. When I buzzed off my hair last summer, I just used castor oil and water, since it was so short. I am still using castor oil and water--it was the conditioners, mainly the fatty alcohols, giving me flakes. I tested the theory by using Cetaphyl to wash and detangle my hair--the flakes returned alone with an itchy scalp. What castor oil does for me is sealing in water and leaving a silky film behind that works well with my natural sebum. I tried olive oil, but it leaves me greasy no matter how hot the water is. I am experimenting with using jojoba oil since it is supposed to be similar to sebum.

Garnetgem
September 13th, 2016, 12:12 PM
I have stopped using conditioner since 5 months now and my hair is in good condition without using any...it is classic length when i did use it i always had residue on my comb and struggled with tangles but now i do not have those problems anymore...i have had knee length in the past and i didn't use it then either..conditioner has alcohol listed in its ingredients and that is drying hence why i had tangles when i used it..tried many types and brands all did nothing special really....

animetor7
September 13th, 2016, 05:25 PM
I don't think that would work for my hair, at least for the ends. I have very fine hair, so while it's soft without conditioner, it's much more easily damaged. I like to use a coney conditioner to help protect my strands so that they don't split and can grow longer. :) But if it's working for you, great!!! As always with hair care, YMMV.

Dark40
September 14th, 2016, 12:30 PM
I can't stop using conditioner. My hair would so tangled and knotted. Plus, the ends would split very easily.

maco
September 14th, 2016, 02:57 PM
I stopped using conditioner a year or so ago. I wash my hair so infrequently, I just let the scalp oils take care of it. By "so infrequently" I mean 2-3 times per month.

Now, on the one hand, I do get horrible matted stuff going on that I have to finger-comb out. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the part where I stick it in a bun and just keep tightening the bun and relocating the pins as it gets loose and then comb it like once a week is the actual cause of that, not the lack of conditioner. I should probably comb my hair more frequently.

meteor
September 14th, 2016, 03:18 PM
I can. Whenever I think of a list of my hair essentials, conditioner never actually makes it to that list... Many of my washes are scalp-only washes (which don't require conditioner, since the length stays dry), and even during my full washes I can skip conditioner (if I want to save time) without any bad consequences. However, good conditioner makes my hair feel well behaved, sleeker and easier to detangle, so I do normally use it. I like to skip conditioner once in a while just if I want to see it product-free or fluffier.

Now, on the one hand, I do get horrible matted stuff going on that I have to finger-comb out. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the part where I stick it in a bun and just keep tightening the bun and relocating the pins as it gets loose and then comb it like once a week is the actual cause of that, not the lack of conditioner. I should probably comb my hair more frequently.

You could try braided buns, too. :) They keep that area at the base (where the wrapping happens) from matting up, as the hair is already neatly separated by the braid intersections. Braided buns also hold more securely than their unbraided equivalents so it's easy to avoid excessive tightening and relocating of the pins... Speaking of pins, chopsticks/sticks/forks... might work better for tangle prevention than multiple pins (esp. bobby pins), just because there would be fewer points of contact that could cause snagging, etc... :flower:

maco
September 16th, 2016, 02:23 PM
I can. Whenever I think of a list of my hair essentials, conditioner never actually makes it to that list... Many of my washes are scalp-only washes (which don't require conditioner, since the length stays dry), and even during my full washes I can skip conditioner (if I want to save time) without any bad consequences. However, good conditioner makes my hair feel well behaved, sleeker and easier to detangle, so I do normally use it. I like to skip conditioner once in a while just if I want to see it product-free or fluffier.

You could try braided buns, too. :) They keep that area at the base (where the wrapping happens) from matting up, as the hair is already neatly separated by the braid intersections. Braided buns also hold more securely than their unbraided equivalents so it's easy to avoid excessive tightening and relocating of the pins... Speaking of pins, chopsticks/sticks/forks... might work better for tangle prevention than multiple pins (esp. bobby pins), just because there would be fewer points of contact that could cause snagging, etc... :flower:

I could try the braid. I'd actually like to get fast enough at braiding and hair-taping to have that be my usual thing. I cover my hair, and sticks wouldn't fit under my coif (I got rid of all my hair sticks when I started covering). Also, I think that'd be uncomfortable to sleep with chopsticks sticking out! (and no, not bobby pins, just a half dozen 3" Amish hair pins)

I took it down and combed it for a wash two nights ago, and man...going 2 weeks between washes does get the oils all down the length nicely.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 16th, 2016, 02:56 PM
So are there any people here with long fine hair who don't need to use conditioner?

lapushka
September 16th, 2016, 03:20 PM
So are there any people here with long fine hair who don't need to use conditioner?

Classic length F hair here, I need boatloads of conditioner (+ silicones)!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 16th, 2016, 03:22 PM
Classic length F hair here, I need boatloads of conditioner (+ silicones)!

See, I would like to try not using it, but don't want to risk my hair's health in doing so. I haven't yet dared to not use it....just in case.

Hopeful65
September 16th, 2016, 04:06 PM

I rarely use conditioner anymore.

I used to never use it while growing up. Then did use it during the years of perms, bleaching, etc.
Since I'm back to virgin hair I just seemed to rarely use it anymore. Maybe about once a month at most, just on the ends.
I do put pure agran oil on my ends though.

I've been doing my current routine for at least more than a year.
So far things are fine. Ends are nice, soft, and shiny. :)

Sarez
March 10th, 2018, 06:38 AM
For some reason that I can't even remember, I stopped using conditioner about 18 months ago. I was blown away at how soft my hair was, and that it wasn't getting greasy anymore, which meant I washed it less. I was DC-ing most months, so I guess that helped. However, I used conditioner for the first time last week , but only on ends to below ear, and my hair got all bouncy. But I did notice flaky scalp on the 6th day before I washed, but I can't tell if it's a cold snap in the weather, or the conditioner. Just washed last night with conditioner again, so hopefully I have a more definitive answer. I honestly think it's personal choice, how did you go with it?

Kat-Rinnè Naido
March 10th, 2018, 08:53 AM
I skipped conditioner once, twice or maybe. I oiled when damp. My hair felt softer, smoother and lighter. But I don't think it is something I would do frequently.

vampyyri
March 10th, 2018, 09:42 AM
There's times after I do a vinegar rinse that I wonder if I could get away without using conditioner... I get slip out of it, but I always follow it up with two rounds of conditioner. :ponder:

lapushka
March 10th, 2018, 10:19 AM
There's times after I do a vinegar rinse that I wonder if I could get away without using conditioner... I get slip out of it, but I always follow it up with two rounds of conditioner. :ponder:

Have you ever tried CWC instead of WCC? Maybe that's an option. If you haven't tried before. It might be nice to interchange both methods.

vampyyri
March 10th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Have you ever tried CWC instead of WCC? Maybe that's an option. If you haven't tried before. It might be nice to interchange both methods.

Hmm, I haven't actually. I've always been strict WCC since it just worked from the get-go. Where would you suggest throwing a vinegar rinse in with those steps? I wonder if the last C could just simply be replaced with a vinegar rinse? :ponder:

lapushka
March 10th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Hmm, I haven't actually. I've always been strict WCC since it just worked from the get-go. Where would you suggest throwing a vinegar rinse in with those steps? I wonder if the last C could just simply be replaced with a vinegar rinse? :ponder:

Hey yeah, that's a great idea! Vinegar rinse + W/C -> why not? Or the other way round, C/W + vinegar rinse. You can customize this all you want!

chiapommama
March 10th, 2018, 01:03 PM
I've tried just washing and oiling afterwards. The last time I did it I clarified and used a little baby oil. Didn't hurt my hair at all.

Jo Ann
March 10th, 2018, 09:44 PM
Me with NO conditioners? :shocked:

http://wizbangblog.com/images/2005/phil_spector_052005.jpg

Oh no no no no no...

CindyOfTheOaks
March 11th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Interesting.
Yesterday was wash day...so for grins and giggles I did not use conditioner.
I shampooed and then rinsed with ACV.
No problem of tangles, it dried faster...it's soft, swingy and shiny, and I have no frizz. None.
It actually looks and feels like I want it to look after a poo and condish.
*shrug*

Stray_mind
March 11th, 2018, 01:33 PM
I actually Never used a conditioner, until late into my teenage years.... I can tell you, my hair was twice thinner and messier than it is now. Simply because it was tangling like crazy and broke off everywhere... It was brittle and dry, gross looking... I don't think i could survive long without a conditioner, ahaha!

longmane
March 12th, 2018, 06:39 PM
If my hair survives the first wash, maybe after the 2nd time it would turn into one gaint knot with no hope of untangling. Shaving my head would be the only option :tmi: :tmi:

Saige
March 12th, 2018, 06:51 PM
It is definitely possible to go conditioner free. I haven't used it for years and my hair is fine, provided I use some oil on the ends as needed. I also found that conditioner would make my hair very limp. Oiling (especially damp hair) seems to give my hair all the moisture it needs without weighing it down.

cjk
March 12th, 2018, 11:18 PM
I do water only. No conditioner or shampoo in over a year.

My hair looks and feels wonderful, the best it's looked in about a decade.

Can you go without conditioner? Absolutely yes.

hobbitlocks
March 12th, 2018, 11:19 PM
I’ve gone without conditioner when I’m somewhere with soft water pretty successfully. Still used my leave ins. I live somewhere with hard water and I can’t imagine not conditioning it here. I don’t know why that makes such a difference, but it does for me!

Frankenstein
March 13th, 2018, 01:36 AM
A few months ago I did an experiment where I clarified my hair and did not use conditioner (or anything else) afterward. The result was the best hair day I’d had in years: super soft, silky hair with less tangles.

amiraaah
March 13th, 2018, 02:00 AM
I don’t like conditioners or leave ins or masks,I have stopped using conditioners 3 months ago and before I didn’t use it often.i think in my lifetime I had only 2 or 3 bottles of conditioner shared with my sis and only one mask.

chomsky
March 13th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Can you go without conditioner? Yes.

Can I personally go without conditioner? No. I need it to detangle, especially since I don't wear it straight anymore.

I've only been using conditioner for the past 4ish years, best 4 years of my hairs existence.

nycelle
March 13th, 2018, 06:05 AM
I've tried but doesn't work for me.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 13th, 2018, 05:55 PM
So, I washed my hair this morning using diluted shampoo, no conditioner and a much diluted vinegar rinse afterwards, as usual. My hair detangled very easily, seemed to dry faster, and so far I'm very happy with it - it's now in a French braid. While it was still a little damp, I smoothed a couple of drops of coconut oil through the lenghts, mostly, with a final pass on the scalp hair. Hmmm, there could be something to this non-conditioner thing. I should use up my 3 - 4 bottles of conditioner before doing this, really. What a lot of money I could save if i didn't need to buy conditioner! :eyebrows:

Dark40
March 13th, 2018, 09:01 PM
I can't stop using conditioner altogether either. My relaxed and chemically-treated hair needs conditioner. Or, it would be in a tangle dry matted mess. I really wish that all my hair needed was shampoo during my washes.

divinedobbie
March 13th, 2018, 09:14 PM
A few months ago I did an experiment where I clarified my hair and did not use conditioner (or anything else) afterward. The result was the best hair day I’d had in years: super soft, silky hair with less tangles.

Have you stopped using conditioner because of your result?

Frankenstein
March 13th, 2018, 09:15 PM
Have you stopped using conditioner because of your result?

No, partially because I have a huge stash to use up and also because I’m not sure about the long term effects. It’s definitely something I plan to try again in the future, though.

Stagecoach
March 15th, 2018, 06:00 AM
So, part of my current growth journey is to figure out how to get rid of conditioner.

To that end, I've been experimenting with oatmeal water as conditioner, and so far (3 washes, 2 weeks) I've very happy with it. For those of you looking to ditch the conditioner but still applying a protecting product, check using oatmeal water.

EdG
March 15th, 2018, 08:23 AM
I have never used conditioner. The body makes its own conditioner. The trick is not to wash it out completely. I wash with diluted shampoo or water-only. This works surprisingly well.
Ed

Waveurly
March 15th, 2018, 10:22 AM
I like this thread. It's fascinating in some way. In the past when I had longer hair still, I have done an experiment of one year of no shampoo, no conditioner, just vinegar rinses. Actually, I just poured undiluted vinegar over my head, inspired by the no poo trend. I know now that this wasn't the best idea in the end but still my hair didnt look as crappy as I would have thought. But it did stay pretty greasy always. I think it would have been good to wash it every now and then to get the big grease out. What I did notice was that my scalp problems dissapeared.. no more flakes, no more itch, no more SD. I really want to get back to that because it was so amazing to have a calm scalp. It also calmed down other skin issues. During that time my hair looked like the pics below, usually a combo between dry and oily. Those photo's are taken in the end of that period of a year so I had been using that method for months and months. Sorry, can't seem to get the photo's smaller and I'm too lazy to try as well ;)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30784&d=1521130435
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30785&d=1521130460

Out of convenience and because I missed fluffy hair, I have turned back to shampoo and conditioner. And now all my scalp problems are back. Have tried other no poo washing methods in between but it was too much work and didn't fix the oilyness either.

My hard water really messes with my scalp so I really do need to cleanse it well, usually some kind of acid rinses help getting rid of the build up but at the moment with S&C I have to wash it way too often and wished to not use hard water on my head as much nor wash that often.

After seeing some old videos on youtube, I'm pretty fascinated and ready to experiment a bit again. This time with some shampoo I guess, or maybe soap and no conditioner. My pots and pans that also suffer from the hard water, get cleansed the best by using vinegar diluted in water, leaving it sit for some minutes and then wash with some dishwashing liquid. So i guess I will try something similar for my hair, vinegar or acid on my scalp, then washing and probably using some oil on my hair after washing it.

The videos I saw are these and it doesn't seem that they used conditioner in those times, gorgeous hair they have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1bStKZrNkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEWxszMpdNA

Stagecoach
March 15th, 2018, 10:34 AM

Wow, how neat!

Waveurly
March 15th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Wow, how neat!

Yeah isn't it?!

MlleMC
March 15th, 2018, 01:39 PM
The videos I saw are these and it doesn't seem that they used conditioner in those times, gorgeous hair they have:

Those videos are amazing! I love the title on the second one too, "Girls who refused to follow fashion's dictates, enter long-hair competition".

Dendra
March 15th, 2018, 01:50 PM
I really don't think I could go without it, but good luck everyone in your experiments! Those videos are cool, the woman's hair in the first one is amazing.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 15th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Beautiful hair in those videos!

ursaV
March 15th, 2018, 02:13 PM
I've been two weeks without conditioner so far. My original intention was to give up cones because my hair was so limp, but when I figured out every conditioning product I had contained cones I just gave them away and stopped using anything :shrug: So far great results though! I've found my natural oils seem to be enough, though the back of my neck is naturally prone to tangles so I'm planning on doing an ACV rinse tonight.

Waveurly, those videos are great, I especially like the voice-over in the 1950s clip. 'All her hair needs is clean soap suds and some gentle persuasion.' That's some good old-fashioned hair advice right there!

Salwety
March 16th, 2018, 04:48 AM
lol

hahahahahhah

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

(No.)

I can second that.
I spent 29 years without conditioner, my hair hair was a frizzy shredded mess pathetic excuse of a hair.
Using conditioner with successful results is the only reason I am accepting my natural hair texture, and for it to reach waist length damage free.

lottiealice
March 16th, 2018, 04:41 PM
My hair gets horrifically tangled even with conditioner, I can't imagine going without. Shampoo alone is also just far too drying for me.

I'd suggest cutting down on the conditioner first, seeing how your hair reacts, then perhaps going without for a while to see how it goes. Everyone's hair is different, what works for one may be disasterous for another.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 16th, 2018, 04:42 PM
I'm going to try it once I have used up my stash.

spurple
March 16th, 2018, 05:46 PM
I've been two weeks without conditioner so far. My original intention was to give up cones because my hair was so limp, but when I figured out every conditioning product I had contained cones I just gave them away and stopped using anything

I'm in the same boat! I've been using a good dose of argan oil instead of conditioner: wash with sulfate-free shampoo and then apply and leave in argan oil. My hair is SUPER happy! I'm confused, but I'll probably learn to accept things when I'm fully convinced that my hair is happier this way.

ursaV
March 19th, 2018, 09:11 AM
I'm in the same boat! I've been using a good dose of argan oil instead of conditioner: wash with sulfate-free shampoo and then apply and leave in argan oil. My hair is SUPER happy! I'm confused, but I'll probably learn to accept things when I'm fully convinced that my hair is happier this way.

Thats funny! I've been wanting to try a lighter leave-in oil, currently I just throw some sweet almond or coconut oil in my hair a few hours before a shampoo and that seems to work out for me, but I want some more protection and moisture between washes. Especially in this winter that seems to last forever :tmi: Where do you get your argan oil?

windyballoons
March 19th, 2018, 08:35 PM
My type 3 hair would die without conditioner. On shampoo wash days I Iet my hair dry without conditioner to let it "breathe" because throughout the week, it is so laden down with product. The wash day hair is a dry, frizzy mess and the curls don't clump or define nicely. I can't distribute my own sebum very far along each individual spiral.

I've tried using oils instead but even oil makes my hair frizz and stand up with flyaways everywhere.

(Actually, in 31 years I have tried everything to control my flyaways and frizz. Gel, hairspray, mousse, styling putty, serums, oils, straightening, relaxing, keratin treatments, everything... As a teenager I became so desperate that I would literally glue my hair down with glue in hopes of containing it).

The only thing that has ever worked to keep my hair under control without damaging it is conditioner. Not to mention making it soft and moisturized. I certainly couldn't wear my hair natural without it. I think there is a reason that different curly-haired peoples in history independantly invented dreadlocs.

I did notice though, when I had Brazillian keratin straightening done, how I needed almost no conditioner. So I think it depends on your hair.

I could do without shampoo if I had to, as I rarely use it. But you'll never get my conditioners away from me.

spurple
March 20th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Thats funny! I've been wanting to try a lighter leave-in oil, currently I just throw some sweet almond or coconut oil in my hair a few hours before a shampoo and that seems to work out for me, but I want some more protection and moisture between washes. Especially in this winter that seems to last forever :tmi: Where do you get your argan oil?

I've actually been using an argan oil mask as a leave in just because I had it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9TLIJU/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AEWXAV3T5UC41

I've also got an argan oil shampoo that my hair loves so I'm now looking for a PURE argan oil to use as a lighter oil. I've been using jojoba as my 'light oil' but I'm not convinced it's doing anything... might be too light!

nycelle
March 20th, 2018, 10:37 AM
I've gone from crazy expensive pure argan oils (Josie Maran, Morocconoil) to the drugstore brand.
They're all pretty much the same.

The only thing I will say is, pure Argan oil is only good for about a year. And for whatever reason, many of the cheaper brands don't put a date on them. So if there's no date stamp on yours, contact the company, give them the lot # and ask how long it's good for.

I use argan oil for everything- my favorite oil.

victorian girl
March 20th, 2018, 11:15 AM
I tried this. My hair was ok, or so I thought, until suddenly it wasn't - it turned into a mess and I had to cut it. It depends on the hair type, I guess, and on things you use / don't use instead. Right now I found my perfect conditioner and I certainly don't want to just ditch it in the nearest future. To each their own:)

Aredhel
March 20th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Oh goodness, I'd have a tangled and matted mess in a matter of days if I didn't use conditioner. :scared: Nope, my hair absolutely depends on conditioner!!