PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo advice?

kelseyxface
July 1st, 2016, 06:04 PM
So I've recently been reading more into ingredients and the etc. and have started to figure out how to identify the good and bad in my beauty products (face washes, shampoo, etc.) This has led to me gravitating away from my "organic" products and more into all those "bad chemical laden products" :p
Some background from the last time I posted here: I FINALLY grew out all my layers (minus my bangs being an inch shorter than the rest of my hair length, but still!) I'm about shoulder blade length right now. I went back to bleaching my hair...I know! Awful! BUT we ended up doing a bleach bath just to make my hair porous enough to accept and keep color for longer than 1 wash, and we only touch up my roots when they're about an inch and a half long (so once every 3-6 months depending on how I'm feeling ;P) I'm now hell bent on being a long haired lady with bleached hair, I've seen it and I want it! :rockerdud

Because of this I've been treating my hair as if it's curly porous hair, and it's been working! Now back to my main point about products and questions:

Today I bought herbal essences long term relationship conditioner, mostly because of the silicones and protein in the product. I've definitely noticed my current conditioner (giovanni 2chic ultra repair) is not cutting it in the moisture department. This has brought up another worry, however. I don't think the matching shampoo (https://www.amazon.com/Giovanni-Repair-Shampoo-Blackberry-Coconut/dp/B00T6HMVDM) will do a good job of preventing buildup of silicones in my hair because it's sulfate free. I know that when using silicone shampoos, it will build up and I will need to clarify, but I think my current shampoo being sulfate free will cause major preemptive build up. I would just grab a sulfate shampoo, but my hair has always done much better on an SLS free shampoo.

I was considering grabbing this product from garnier fructis (http://www.garnierusa.com/products/haircare/curl-nourish/shampoo/curl-nourish-shampoo.aspx) as it's "sulfate free". I'm willing to try milder sulfates on my hair, but a few questions:
1. Will the above product do a good job at washing out silicones and prevent preemptive build up?
2. The amount of SLS alternatives in the product, will that end up being just as harsh as an SLS? If so am I better off just grabbing another SLS shampoo and just dilute it instead?
3. I have fine hair, gets weighed down easy, will using both products be too much moisture for me?
I;m still learning, sorry this is such a long post!:p

Obsidian
July 1st, 2016, 07:05 PM
If you get build up, you really need a good sulfate shampoo. I really, really like suave daily clarifying shampoo. I use a lot of cones and the suave cuts right through them, the sulfate free/ lower sulfate I tried just can't get rid of the coney build up.

arr
July 1st, 2016, 07:17 PM
Another vote for Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo! I use this as my regular every wash shampoo. It's quite concentrated so you can dilute it and it will still really clean your hair yet be gentle. I use about a tablespoon of shampoo diluted in a quart of water.

kelseyxface
July 1st, 2016, 07:17 PM
@obsidian I think using a clarifying shampoo every wash would be too harsh for my hair ): i would be more than willing to use it as my monthly clarifyer though! what do you use daily?

Obsidian
July 1st, 2016, 07:50 PM
I use herbal essence hello hydration poo/con for daily washing. I was using the suave daily but it got to be a bit drying, I use it once a week or so now.

lapushka
July 2nd, 2016, 08:58 AM
To wash out most silicones you need a sulfate shampoo - sorry, that's the way it is. There are water-soluable silicones as well, but if you have bleach in your hair, you're going to need the heavier stuff!

kelseyxface
July 2nd, 2016, 12:11 PM
Oh no I know I need sulfates, but I was curious if the ones listed in the "sulfate free" garnier shampoo would be enough to wash them out? Not to clarify but as I said to preent preemptive build up in between clarifying washes.

lapushka
July 2nd, 2016, 02:14 PM
Oh no I know I need sulfates, but I was curious if the ones listed in the "sulfate free" garnier shampoo would be enough to wash them out? Not to clarify but as I said to preent preemptive build up in between clarifying washes.

All depends on what kind of silicones you're using.

Whirled_peas
July 5th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I use whatever is on sale.

diddiedaisy
July 6th, 2016, 12:49 AM
I'm a bleached finey too. I must admit that though I take more notice of my conditioner than my shampoo. I put all sorts on my hair, leave-ins, serum, olive oil, coconut oil, kitchen sink, but I only ever wash my scalp and let it run through to my ends. I find conditioner gets rid of the rest. I clarify up to twice a month if I remember, just to be on the safe side.