PDA

View Full Version : To Trim or Not to Trim?

juliemarieeg
July 1st, 2016, 03:43 PM
I have heard some people swear by the every 8-12 week trim in growing out your hair, and then I have heard the opposite from people who say put the scissors down! Just let it grow. Of course, I'm sure this depends on hair type to an extent... People who get split ends or need to trim it for the sake of making it look presentable probably should get the frequent 2-3 month trims, but for a person with, I would say fairly healthy hair--I never put heat on it, only shampoo twice a week, don't use any other products in my hair, and don't have a big issue with split ends--what would you recommend for the growing out process? I have also heard that even if your hair doesn't seem to have split ends, it's good to get a trim anyway to stimulate the hair growth more, but again, I've also heard the opposite. Any insight would be helpful as I try to grow out an angled hairstyle gone (HORRIBLY) wrong! :)

lapushka
July 1st, 2016, 03:53 PM
If your hair is relatively damage free to damage free, you can go years without a trim. You just have to see what you like best. There are no-trimming challenges on this board. The longest I went without a trim in my growing out process was 2 years - no regrets and my hemline stayed quite even too.

It's a myth that you need to trim that much. Maybe if you have a lot of chemical processes done and a lot of damage, or a style to maintain, then yes.

I have reached classic, my goal, and I trim about every 4 months, back to classic, in order to maintain my length. I don't see the point in trimming more often.

missrandie
July 1st, 2016, 04:38 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with Lapushka. Of course, with everything, your mileage may vary (YMMV).

I personally haven't trimmed in over a year, and I'm growing just fine. I haven't had any major splits in that time.

MINAKO
July 1st, 2016, 04:57 PM
"Stimulates hairgrowth"... Nope it doesn't, but it stimulates people to pay extra money to their stylist so everyone likes to keep pretending i guess. If theres no detectable damage there is no need to cut, for however long of a time that may be.

juliemarieeg
July 1st, 2016, 05:04 PM
Thanks everyone! To think how much longer my hair would be if I didn't frequently get it trimmed in the past..

Whirled_peas
July 5th, 2016, 08:01 PM
I trim every 4 months because my hair looks a little dry.

spidermom
July 5th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Just get it trimmed or trim it yourself when YOU decide that it needs a trim. It's nobody else's business.