View Full Version : To cut or not to cut...

Blissful337
July 1st, 2016, 07:25 AM
Ok so my plan was to not cut my hair at all until January 2017 and I'm am trying to stick with that. I'm just really hating my layers right now. You can see my hair length in my sig and profile pic. I really want to reach BSL and possibly move on the WL from there (if I'm liking length on me). It's been 2 months since my last trim and I absolutely hate my layers and eventually want to get rid of them, with the possibility of adding them back in if I got to waist. Just my preference that I feel as my hair gets really long, layers seem to suit me better. In the meantime I am on the fence about just letting my hair grow and ignoring these layers or cutting to one length...which right now would be about chin since that's where my shortest layers are. But what would bum me out most is that the healthiest part of me hair seems to be the underneath, which is the longest layers, and the dryer/more damaged part is my short layers. So if I cut to one length I would just be cutting off tons of healthy hair. Is it better to just leave it alone and keep growing or cut to one length and leave alone from there? Thoughts? Opinions?

kittengirl
July 1st, 2016, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't cut honestly, but that is because I didn't when I was at that stage. I am growing out a pixie, currently around apl, and it seemed like the layers would never grow, then all of a sudden here I was. I still have some layers but I'm glad I didn't cut. You might be more frustrated with the shorter length. Just my :twocents:

lapushka
July 1st, 2016, 07:44 AM
You would have to go shorter than chin to get those layers out. So if you want to get rid of them slowly, I'd go visit the microtrimming thread.

TBH, I love your sig picture; I think you've got pretty hair! :D

Nique1202
July 1st, 2016, 07:55 AM
If you think you're going to want layers later, don't cut them out now or you'll have to grow that much longer before you can cut them in again and stay at your goal length. Lots of styles will hide layers pretty effectively while you're waiting for it to grow, even some of the styles you can start playing with at your current length. French and dutch braids, gibson tucks, even ponytails and pigtails will camouflage them.

diddiedaisy
July 1st, 2016, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't cut it, personally i think your layers will look nice as your hair grows :)

samanthaa
July 1st, 2016, 08:09 AM
Another for the "don't cut" camp, especially if your longest hair is healthy (I'm in the same boat: my shortest layer, the result of breakage rather than having layers cut in, is a mess, but my longest hair is healthy). If your short layers are long enough to see, maybe you can try S&Ding them? I did this last night with my shortest layer, and now I'll probably just forget about it for the next six months and evaluate after that.

missrandie
July 1st, 2016, 08:26 AM
Just hang in there. I'm growing out the same way, layers and all. This is just an awkward stage, and the layers will start looking better the farther down they travel. You will feel happier with them once that chin length layer gets to shoulder. Trust me on that :)

Blissful337
July 1st, 2016, 08:44 AM
Ok...you've all convinced me!! I'm not cutting. I am going to stick this out.
Thank you lapushka for saying my hair is pretty. It's nice to hear and helps me appreciate it more.
I think I would hate it being chin length. I think my shortest layers are too short for me to see and do S&D but when they get a little longer I can give it a try. I just need to get myself through this "awkward" stage I feel I am in. I wish I was good at doing some styles like braids or twists to get through this "awkward" stage but I honestly don't know how to braid my hair..or do anything other than a ponytail and a ponytail doesn't hold my shortest layers. I also get fly aways that stick out everywhere when I wear it up. I've watched many tutorials on updos but I just honestly suck at doing updos in my hair. :( I'm able to braid my daughters hair but when it comes to my own hair my arms and hands are useless for me. And my really short layers don't make it any easier. I'm hoping that when my short layers reach shoulder length I will be able to get better practice at some nice easy braids or twists. For now I just air dry and let my hair do what it wants. Sometimes it behaves and looks really nice and other times it's a complete frizzy crazy mess.

school of fish
July 1st, 2016, 08:52 AM
Normally I'm one of those 'cut if your heart tells you to' types, but in this case I'm going to side with what others are saying - leave it for the time being :)

The stage you're at is an inherantly awkward one when your goal is length - maintaining a shape runs contrary to the growth you're going for, but it's still too short for many 'put it up and forget about it' updos... It's an in-between stage, and those are frustrating by nature ;) I'd be willing to bet that you'd be feeling this frustration at this length whether the layers were there or not :)

I'd set yourself a goal to get through the summer without scissors and then reassess. If the layers still drive you nuts by then, you may wish to give it a little balancing out trim and you'll have grown some extra length to accomodate that trim. Or, you may find that by then you've pushed through a wall and can just keep on keeping on :)

Personally, I find that 3 months is a good amount of time for me to consider any sizeable hair change. I can wait anything out for 3 months - at the end of it I generally have a pretty clear sense whether my craving for change was born of boredom/impatience or of actual desire :)

Blissful337
July 1st, 2016, 12:41 PM
Normally I'm one of those 'cut if your heart tells you to' types, but in this case I'm going to side with what others are saying - leave it for the time being :)

The stage you're at is an inherantly awkward one when your goal is length - maintaining a shape runs contrary to the growth you're going for, but it's still too short for many 'put it up and forget about it' updos... It's an in-between stage, and those are frustrating by nature ;) I'd be willing to bet that you'd be feeling this frustration at this length whether the layers were there or not :)

I'd set yourself a goal to get through the summer without scissors and then reassess. If the layers still drive you nuts by then, you may wish to give it a little balancing out trim and you'll have grown some extra length to accomodate that trim. Or, you may find that by then you've pushed through a wall and can just keep on keeping on :)

Personally, I find that 3 months is a good amount of time for me to consider any sizeable hair change. I can wait anything out for 3 months - at the end of it I generally have a pretty clear sense whether my craving for change was born of boredom/impatience or of actual desire :)

Good idea. I do feel that along with frustration with my layers, and awkward stage, it could be boredom as well. Luckily I have a huge distraction to my hair woes coming soon. I am due with baby#2 in Sept and I'll be too busy those first few months that I won't have time to think or care about my hair. This is another good reason for me not to cut right now. Hopefully by the time my maternity leave is up in December I will have so much added length that the layers won't bother me as much. I think my hair has been growing a bit faster this pregnancy so hopefully I will get some good length in the next few months between the summer, pregnancy and pre-natals. Fingers crossed anyway!! :)

kuroi
July 1st, 2016, 01:35 PM
I agree with letting your hair do its own thing for now. Good luck with your pregnancy btw, I hope you deliver a healthy baby.

miss_donya
July 1st, 2016, 01:45 PM
Another vote for No Cut !
You might feel upset for losing your length (I would)
I say leave them until you hair grows longer and maybe then you can decide, or you could gradually eliminate them with trims as you hair grows. Don't cut !

MINAKO
July 1st, 2016, 03:20 PM
Getting rid of the layers... To add them back in... Doesn't sound logical to me. Put the scissors away.

:blossom:

Blissful337
July 2nd, 2016, 10:51 AM
I agree with letting your hair do its own thing for now. Good luck with your pregnancy btw, I hope you deliver a healthy baby.

Thank tou so much!! :)

Blissful337
July 2nd, 2016, 10:52 AM
Getting rid of the layers... To add them back in... Doesn't sound logical to me. Put the scissors away.

:blossom:

Hahahahahaha. So true!!!