PDA

View Full Version : what length

timeschild
June 30th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Okay so what length is it possible to start braiding at. I can sort of manage a tincy bun. And low lying pigtails at just nearly Sl and chin or collar bone length i. What lenght donyall think I can start doing my hair in braids....not that hi braid very well
I need to practice. To be honest in am not sure how all of you braid your hair in regular braids let alone French braids.

Anje
June 30th, 2016, 02:33 PM
I think you can do french braids sooner than "normal" braids, if you know how. Chin-length hair does double french braids pretty well, for example. But it's a little more difficult than on longer hair, so the learning curve could be harsh. Two braids can be done at shorter lengths than one braid, and you can definitely do a half-up with a braid even if your hair isn't long enough to do more than two cross-overs on a ponytail.

Big thing is not to get discouraged. No one is good at these things when they start. (I see so many people say "I can't braid". Of course you can't, you say you can't instead of practicing!) French braids are notoriously ugly the first few times, and your arms get dead tired. Do them at night before bed, so it doesn't matter how it looks. You'll get better, but it will take a few attempts before you can consistently do something you'd wear in public.

kuroi
June 30th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Also watching YouTube videos can help for visualizing how to do braids. And maybe you can practice on a friend.

Anje
June 30th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Oh, and try it both with and without a mirror. Some people do better with one or the other.

Nique1202
June 30th, 2016, 06:47 PM
Okay so what length is it possible to start braiding at. I can sort of manage a tincy bun. And low lying pigtails at just nearly Sl and chin or collar bone length i. What lenght donyall think I can start doing my hair in braids....not that hi braid very well
I need to practice. To be honest in am not sure how all of you braid your hair in regular braids let alone French braids.

If the hair on top of your head reaches your ears, you can probably start practicing twin french and dutch braids. Split down the middle, and practice once or twice a day (any more and you're likely to get frustrated, going slow is fine!) following along with a YouTube tutorial until you've got the motions down. It may take weeks of practice this way before you think it looks good, but you'll have a solid foundation for the technique and that's what matters! Nobody is born a braiding genius, we ALL had to learn from the beginning.

As for english braids, most folks seem to find that they can get one or two turnings by APL, enough to actually look like a braid and fasten off with an elastic. Some folks a little sooner, some a little later. It's very individual, depending on thickness and slipperiness and all that frustrating stuff.

pailin
June 30th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Also try Dutch as well as French braiding - some people find one easier than the other.
I found torrinpaige's YouTube videos on french and dutch braiding very helpful. She does have much longer hair, but she's chatty and actually explains how to hold the hair, how to keep it from tangling, etc. Her videos were how I finally learned to french /dutch braid.
Also you might try lace braiding(variation where you only add hair on one side) - sometimes I do this only from my part to my ear, in front, and then finish it as an English braid.

Andthetalltrees
July 1st, 2016, 08:31 AM
I can't do doubled Dutch/French braids until solid shoulder and English braids until BSL+, But I think I'm the exception because I have super thick hair.
I learnt how to braid by just doing it often, On myself, On other people, Even on dolls. It took about a month of wonky braids and my hands hurting. But I eventually got the muscle memory down and it feels second nature now. I agree on the videos everyone else suggested they helped me tremendously

lithostoic
July 1st, 2016, 09:45 AM
I was nearly APL before I could get a French braid to stay. The sides always slipped out (fine textured) and even at nearly BSL they won't stay in overnight.

timeschild
July 1st, 2016, 09:48 AM
I have fine hair... Infigure it will take a while. I sort of managed a braid in my bangs it was ugly but there

hayheadsbird
July 1st, 2016, 11:11 AM
If you split the hair in to two sections you should be able to get two French/Dutch braids, one each side like pig tails.
Learning to braid just takes practice, I learned as a child on dolls, friends hair and plaiting ponies manes and tails. Tighter braids take more time to work up to, but will hold better. Torrin Paige on you tube is fab!

lunasea
July 1st, 2016, 11:24 AM
Depends on a lot of factors such as how thick your hair is and how much hair you want to put in each braid. You can do cornrows on pretty, darn short hair.