PDA

View Full Version : Choppers / bigger trimmers (maintainers) unite!

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 03:27 AM
This is a thread to go along with the microtrimming thread, in the sense that there are people who will maintain for a bigger chunk of time, then trim back a bigger amount. Which isn't exactly "micro"trimming.

I myself belong here, because I have now reached my goal (classic), reached it in September 2015, and have been having trims / chops every 4 months or thereabouts, in order to maintain my goal. This is easier to manage this way, in the sense that my mom has more grip on the hair that needs to go and can make that cut better.

Who else has these bigger trims aka chops every 4/6 months in order to perhaps maintain?
Come join us!

BTW, if you feel great about your shorter length and want to *maintain* it of sorts, join Arctic's shorter lengths thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=140883

school of fish
June 28th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Oh what a great idea for a thread! I may switch over here from the microtrimming thread once my layers reach my hemline - I'll have to see once I get there :)

That point you raised about getting a better grip on a larger chop section is one I hadn't thought of before, but I have indeed noticed that as my hem has thickened over time it's been getting more challenging to microtrim an even line. Back when the ends were wispy that wasn't an issue at all. I guess I'll call that progress, haha!

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Oh what a great idea for a thread! I may switch over here from the microtrimming thread once my layers reach my hemline - I'll have to see once I get there :)

That point you raised about getting a better grip on a larger chop section is one I hadn't thought of before, but I have indeed noticed that as my hem has thickened over time it's been getting more challenging to microtrim an even line. Back when the ends were wispy that wasn't an issue at all. I guess I'll call that progress, haha!

Thank you!

Yes, it somehow is easier to cut more evenly when there's a bigger chunk there. IDK why, but I suppose it gets so finicky when you only cut half a cm. That I can definitely not do.

turtlelover
June 28th, 2016, 06:20 AM
I am still going to be growing for a long time and not maintaining, so I don't really belong here, but I understand! I find it soooo much harder to microtrim a tiny amount than to wait longer and cut off say a half inch.

Elfa
June 28th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Yaaay, finally a place where I belong! ~pulling a chair and sitting~
Think I will make a collage of my last chops to see where did they take me and post here

LongCurlyTress
June 28th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Nice thread topic and probably more accurate for me than microtrimming. I usually trim 1 1/2 inches every 3 months or so due to velcrowy/tangling ends and continuing to grow out/trim off my layers. Usually, my hair grows back and three months later, another 1.5 inches gets trimmed away. Currently maintaining at 35-36 inches which is just brushing (literally! LOL) TBL.... When my hair length gets longer than this, I am noticing alot more tangling (3b/iii) and more shedding during detangling which is no fun... anyways, I think this might be a great thread for growing support for me. ;) Thanks for starting it lapushka! :joy::beerchug:

Jadestorm
June 28th, 2016, 10:34 AM
I'm one of those people. :) My hair was pretty much the length I wanted it to be (classic, though I had no specific goal length) before I ever looked up things about hair care (as the internet didn't exist yet). Now I cut it every few months or so and I'm keeping it around the same length. But I've had periods where I just let it grow much longer (I don't rule out perhaps doing this again in the future) and then did a very big chop.

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 10:38 AM
No problem you guys. I wanted at one point to start it before but kuroi over in the microtrimming thread reminded me of the fact that it might be time. :)

The farthest I went beyond classic so far is 2 inches (4 months). I can't let it grow much more than that, it seems, because it does become uncomfortable for me.

Magalo
June 28th, 2016, 11:55 AM
I'm the same! I'll start maintening at TBL in about 3 months, but I dislike microtrimming (1/2 and under). I'll just chop 1.5 inches every two months for a year or so and I'll be good to go. :p And it's much more satisfying imo!

sumidha
June 28th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Hey, this is me! :)

I've started maintaining at classic to thicken up my hemline, and it will be nice to have a place to document that. I agree with Magalo, it is much more satisfying for me to see a visible difference after a trim. Plus, with wavy hair it's kind of a process to get it all straight enough to get an even trim, and I just don't have the motivation to go through that every month.

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 12:21 PM
I've started maintaining at classic to thicken up my hemline, and it will be nice to have a place to document that. I agree with Magalo, it is much more satisfying for me to see a visible difference after a trim. Plus, with wavy hair it's kind of a process to get it all straight enough to get an even trim, and I just don't have the motivation to go through that every month.

That's another reason why I don't do it monthly! Every 4 months trying to get it all even and nice for a trim will do for me!

sumidha
June 28th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Not to derail the thread, but how do you do it? When my hair was shorter I could do it with a ton of conditioner, but now my hair doesn't like being detangled when wet at all, and I had to switch to oil. Now I soak my hair in oil, brush it as straight as I can and then do Feye's method, although I have so much taper I can only pull the elastic down halfway before it gets too loose to do anything...

kinnyuu
June 28th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Me :) I just went yesterday for an inch trim - and let me say, that was a luxurious experience. I go back in 10 weeks for another chop. I am trying to get all layers out.

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Not to derail the thread, but how do you do it? When my hair was shorter I could do it with a ton of conditioner, but now my hair doesn't like being detangled when wet at all, and I had to switch to oil. Now I soak my hair in oil, brush it as straight as I can and then do Feye's method, although I have so much taper I can only pull the elastic down halfway before it gets too loose to do anything...

I wait until the end of the week, right before a wash. By that time my waves have sagged so much that there is barely definition there. And I brush, and brush, get all the sheds out (so they don't get in the way of the short trimmed hair - cleanup is so much easier then), brush some more. They it gets ponytailed in front and by then it is ready to be cut. I've found that on dry hair you get the most grip to cut it.

diddiedaisy
June 28th, 2016, 02:07 PM
This thread fits me perfectly. I find it difficult to just stick to micro-trimming, so I am probably classed as cheating in that thread lol I do try to stick to micro-trimming but darn those scissors feel so good when they're snip snip snipping away :scissors::scissors::scissors:

LongCurlyTress
June 28th, 2016, 03:23 PM

Your hair is longer than mine (@36inches 3b/iii) but I find detangling still works with gobs and gobs of thick conditioner in small sections, maybe 3-4 on each side when I am in the shower. I keep adding conditioner as necessary, and then detangle using a vented brush...the comb just cant get through the tangles anymore but the brush seems to glide through them, starting at the ends and slowly working my way up each small section to the scalp hairs. Then I brush through each side to make sure all the tangles are out before rinsing out the conditioner. I hope this keeps working in 9 more inches...;)
My hair is very curly too, 3b.... And I also have alot of tapering at the hemline... hoping this is just from the last of my layers that are still growing out, but... it could be from shedding during detangling...;(

Frankenstein
June 28th, 2016, 11:21 PM
I do this also. Half an inch to an inch trim every 3 months, no microtrims. I plan on staying at my current length.

Upside Down
June 29th, 2016, 07:38 AM
That would be me as well :)

I am at waist and plan to stay here indefinetly. It is my optimal lenght, in terms of being able to wear it down with quite a lot of comfort and being able to do many updos.

Another thing is that I want to thicken up my last few inches because I have lost a lot of hair in posptartum.

So I chop every few months. No schedule really, but when I notice it is getting longer I chop.

TheLuckyLurker
June 29th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Since I chopped from waist to apl I've been trimming a half inch off every month. This is a lot easier than s&d; if I grow it back out I'll do the same and just wait two months between trims.

Zindell
June 30th, 2016, 03:12 AM
Who else has these bigger trims aka chops every 4/6 months in order to perhaps maintain?
Come join us!

I do! As some of you already seen in another thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137977&p=3254959&viewfull=1#post3254959) I recently cut my hair back quite a bit from BSL'ish to get my hair all one-length. I will trim my hair only when it's absolutely needed henceforth. In the beginning I will trim a little less (around 3 cm), since I want to gain length, but once I'm around midback or waist length (whenever I feel satisfied), I'll have to trim more to maintain the length.

Pic below, newly brushed and trimmed. Avatar to the left, more of the everyday look. (Some waves makes it clump together).
(Bad light in both pics, sowwy ...)

It will be fun to follow this thread. :o

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Zizywa/6.%20Fixad_zps4qeq9jzc.png

lapushka
June 30th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Nice even cut, Zindell. You did that yourself, right? I remember you saying so in another thread. You did great.

I don't want this thread to come across as if we're chop-happy. That's not my point of making it. It's just... some of us need to maintain a length and microtrims just don't work for us as well. Just wanted to make that clear. :flower:

school of fish
June 30th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Oh I don't think this comes off as a chop-happy thread, just as a different way to maintain a length than microtrimming :) Taking off a little more but less frequently, as opposed to taking off a little less more often - same general result, different approach :)

Actually I probably currently have a foot in both camps - I trim monthly, dusting for 2 months and then taking about an inch on the third month. Have to say, I really enjoy those months when the inch comes off, because each time I get that visible hemline improvement! But I still need the dustings in between to keep my ends behaving nicely. So... I don't know, maybe I should keep active in both?

As with virtually ever aspect of my life, I don't seem to fully fit in any one place, haha!! Definitely a running theme... ;)

kaydana
June 30th, 2016, 06:39 AM
This is me. I'm maintaining at TBL, but microtrimming is hard work. Much easier to leave it alone for a few months, then trim an inch or two when I notice the ends getting scraggly.

Mainesongbird
July 10th, 2016, 05:17 PM
I'm in this category, usually 3 times a year I trim about 3 inches. I've got a pretty fast grow rate. I usually always am between waist and hip, but lately I've been liking MBL so last time I chopped/trimmed 4 inches and I am itching to trim 2 inches now to get me back to MBL that I had cut to at the end of April.

Sofialu
July 10th, 2016, 05:50 PM
This is a thread to go along with the microtrimming thread, in the sense that there are people who will maintain for a bigger chunk of time, then trim back a bigger amount. Which isn't exactly "micro"trimming.

I myself belong here, because I have now reached my goal (classic), reached it in September 2015, and have been having trims / chops every 4 months or thereabouts, in order to maintain my goal. This is easier to manage this way, in the sense that my mom has more grip on the hair that needs to go and can make that cut better.

Come join us!

Oh I do this but mine isn't yet at my goal length. I have several inches taken off every 6 months (ish) because of wanting rid of old dye. I've already had my first chop (my avatar photo was taken the day I had it cut last, shows my blunt ends) this year and have now to wait until November/December for my next one which will rid me of the remaining 2-3 inches of dye. Then I'll be aiming to get to hip length with micro trims along the way!

Groovy Granny
July 10th, 2016, 07:54 PM
It seems this thread is for me at this point, so I'll be joining you.
My last chop was in June,and I will be doing quarterly/seasonal chops to maintain from here on out:)

ETA 7/19 I chopped a few inches today back to Waist and have decided to stay there.
Hip was getting annoying (heavy and in the way) and I kept thinking about snipping.
Next 'chop' will be in December to maintain @ WL; full moon dustings will be for racers only.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12454

Unzadi
July 11th, 2016, 04:20 AM
In February, I chopped from BSL to shoulder, to get rid of damage and a super funky (W shaped) hemline. No trims since then, but planning on going in for the first one in the next month or so. I am now almost at my first goal of APL, and am considering maintaining for a bit. It's fun playing with the different lengths along the way.

Zindell
July 16th, 2016, 12:31 AM
Nice even cut, Zindell. You did that yourself, right? I remember you saying so in another thread. You did great.

Thank you. :o

lapushka
July 16th, 2016, 03:24 AM
I'm in my "growth stage" again. My last snip was in June, so normally I should be getting a trim back to classic October or thereabouts, could be November even - we'll see how long I can stretch it this time. It's so much easier for my mom to get a grip on a larger chunk to cut off, but the length all the same has to remain "doable" for me. It's nice, though, having to trim only 2/3 times a year.

I find it such a hassle, the extra combing/brushing, you have to get all that mass into a ponytail... It's a chore. I'm glad I'm not microtrimming.

Sparklylady82
July 16th, 2016, 08:51 AM
I've decided to go with this method rather than microtrim... I always cut too much that way. Also, I'm barely Apl when straightened so it's like to gain all the length I can right now. Last trim was mid May so I'll trim again in mid November. Right before the holidays! How much do you trim each time if you want to gain length. I was thinking only an inch

lapushka
July 16th, 2016, 09:02 AM
I've decided to go with this method rather than microtrim... I always cut too much that way. Also, I'm barely Apl when straightened so it's like to gain all the length I can right now. Last trim was mid May so I'll trim again in mid November. Right before the holidays! How much do you trim each time if you want to gain length. I was thinking only an inch

May to June to July to August to September to October to November, that's 6 months, so it "should" have grown 3 inches. About an inch, yes.

I just snip all my growth off as I'm maintaining, and 2 inches is a good amount to cut off.

Sparklylady82
July 16th, 2016, 09:28 AM
May to June to July to August to September to October to November, that's 6 months, so it "should" have grown 3 inches. About an inch, yes.

I just snip all my growth off as I'm maintaining, and 2 inches is a good amount to cut off.

OK thank you!

*Stella*
July 16th, 2016, 06:27 PM
I belong here too. I am basically too lazy to micro trim, so just cut a couple of inches off whenever it starts to look scraggly. I was maintaining at waist, which probably looks the best, but laziness has got me to hip and I am quite liking it, so will maintain at hip for now.
I should point out that I have incredibly high-maintenance hair, it is fully bleached and currently dyed in a pastel gradient. So I am not a total slob, but there is only so much time I want to devote to my hair lol

Nadine <3
July 16th, 2016, 07:43 PM
This will be me in a couple months when I reach waist and start maintaining :) I suspect I will be there in September and then I'm staying at waist for potentially a long time.

lapushka
July 17th, 2016, 04:23 AM
This will be me in a couple months when I reach waist and start maintaining :) I suspect I will be there in September and then I'm staying at waist for potentially a long time.

Maintaining can be fun! You can thicken up your ends (not that you need it, don't get me wrong here!), play with the hemline, all sorts of fun times. ;)

I'm a constant yo-yo between classic and 2/3 inches longer (not quite fingertip). :lol:

Elfa
July 17th, 2016, 05:49 AM
I belong here too. I am basically too lazy to micro trim, so just cut a couple of inches off whenever it starts to look scraggly. I was maintaining at waist, which probably looks the best, but laziness has got me to hip and I am quite liking it, so will maintain at hip for now.
I should point out that I have incredibly high-maintenance hair, it is fully bleached and currently dyed in a pastel gradient. So I am not a total slob, but there is only so much time I want to devote to my hair lol

Your hair is so beautiful!! It gives me itches of going back to dyes hahaha

diddiedaisy
July 17th, 2016, 10:23 AM

I think it depends on the health of your ends and your growth pattern. If you have healthy ends, but get a crooked or thinned hemline then it's just a case of straightening or thickening up your hemline.

Sparklylady82
July 17th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I think it depends on the health of your ends and your growth pattern. If you have healthy ends, but get a crooked or thinned hemline then it's just a case of straightening or thickening up your hemline.

Good advice!

*Stella*
July 17th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Your hair is so beautiful!! It gives me itches of going back to dyes hahaha

Thank you. That is an old pic though, I have stuck with pastel shades for the last couple of years

Nadine <3
July 17th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Maintaining can be fun! You can thicken up your ends (not that you need it, don't get me wrong here!), play with the hemline, all sorts of fun times. ;)

I'm a constant yo-yo between classic and 2/3 inches longer (not quite fingertip). :lol:

I'm really looking forward to it! since I will be taking off all my growth every 3 months or so I can wear my hair down or on a ponytail/play with heatless curls more often since I'm less worried about damaging my ends. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

copperlites
July 22nd, 2016, 04:14 AM
I'm officially in here after a 3 inch trim on Monday. It's set me back on my journey to waist but condition is more important to me than length.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/mandy_hall1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsofdbeqbd.jpeg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/mandy_hall1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsofdbeqbd.jpeg.html)n
I'm happy with the outcome of tidier, thicker ends, and more bouncy curls (had to blow dry straight for the cut) . The only downside is losing the Velcro ends has made certain buns not hold as well with thicker ends. I think the whispy ends were a bit of a gripper rod.

lapushka
July 22nd, 2016, 05:17 AM
It looks really neatly done, and it doesn't look like you got that much cut off, so that's a good thing! :D

diddiedaisy
July 22nd, 2016, 09:17 AM
I'm officially in here after a 3 inch trim on Monday. It's set me back on my journey to waist but condition is more important to me than length.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/mandy_hall1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsofdbeqbd.jpeg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/mandy_hall1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsofdbeqbd.jpeg.html)n
I'm happy with the outcome of tidier, thicker ends, and more bouncy curls (had to blow dry straight for the cut) . The only downside is losing the Velcro ends has made certain buns not hold as well with thicker ends. I think the whispy ends were a bit of a gripper rod.

That's a nice hemline now, it doesn't look like 3 inches though, funny how thicker ends look longer than thinner ones. :)

sumidha
July 26th, 2016, 07:56 PM
I took off about an inch and a half today, I'm back at 'classic when dry and wavy' which is technically a tiny bit past. I'm about to go camping and thought it would be easier to deal with the hair with non-tangley ends.

I didn't do the usual routine, just combed it as straight as possible while dry and chopped, hopefully it's not too uneven!

lapushka
July 27th, 2016, 06:42 AM
I took off about an inch and a half today, I'm back at 'classic when dry and wavy' which is technically a tiny bit past. I'm about to go camping and thought it would be easier to deal with the hair with non-tangley ends.

I didn't do the usual routine, just combed it as straight as possible while dry and chopped, hopefully it's not too uneven!

I'm sure you did just fine. Classic length again, huh? I'm a bit over too, I think about half an inch now. Far too little to have it trimmed again. I'll just wait for a few months more. :)

lapushka
November 10th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Just to mention that I took 2 inches (5 cm.) off at the end of October, and am back to classic now. Phew. I have been classic since September 2015 now, and I like my "schedule" of cutting this much off every 4 months or so (not exact dates). Just around that time. Next trim end Februari 2017 or at the very start of March 2017.

school of fish
November 10th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Just to mention that I took 2 inches (5 cm.) off at the end of October, and am back to classic now. Phew. I have been classic since September 2015 now, and I like my "schedule" of cutting this much off every 4 months or so (not exact dates). Just around that time. Next trim end Februari 2017 or at the very start of March 2017.

That must feel good! My next mini-chop is scheduled for end of December but I'm itching to do it now... I'll hold out though and wait because I really want to take tge largest amount I can - will feel so much more satisfying to me that way :D

lapushka
November 10th, 2016, 08:42 AM
That must feel good! My next mini-chop is scheduled for end of December but I'm itching to do it now... I'll hold out though and wait because I really want to take tge largest amount I can - will feel so much more satisfying to me that way :D

I let my mom do the snip for me (easier w/ my disability), and it's easier for her as well to cut a bigger piece off, it helps her to be more precise as you have at least something to hold onto while doing the cut, plus I'd rather not go through this monthly. It takes a lot of effort to comb it all out (even though it is at the end of the week each time), and to make that ponytail.

school of fish
November 10th, 2016, 09:02 AM
I let my mom do the snip for me (easier w/ my disability), and it's easier for her as well to cut a bigger piece off, it helps her to be more precise as you have at least something to hold onto while doing the cut, plus I'd rather not go through this monthly. It takes a lot of effort to comb it all out (even though it is at the end of the week each time), and to make that ponytail.

Totally makes sense! You've got a good system going there :D

lithostoic
November 10th, 2016, 09:12 AM
I do both. Microtrim every few months and a yearly chop in December. Due for a microtrim at the end of this month, then I'll decide how much needs to come off in December.

school of fish
November 10th, 2016, 09:23 AM
I do both. Microtrim every few months and a yearly chop in December. Due for a microtrim at the end of this month, then I'll decide how much needs to come off in December.

I do something similar - dust monthly to keep the racers in line with the hem and then chop a larger amount quarterly to maintain my length. I love how it feels particularly after the chops - gives me the illusion of a big change even though I'm really just in maintenance mode ;)

lapushka
November 26th, 2016, 05:30 AM
12 cm off! Yep, I'm not kidding. I went from classic back to a bit past waist, and can just about manage a LWB. I needed it. I really did. I was contemplating even on going shorter, but my mom said NO! To look at what this cut will do first, for my waves. Tomorrow is washday, and we always cut hair right before that, so we'll see what it does tomorrow. :D

school of fish
November 26th, 2016, 06:24 AM
12 cm off! Yep, I'm not kidding. I went from classic back to a bit past waist, and can just about manage a LWB. I needed it. I really did. I was contemplating even on going shorter, but my mom said NO! To look at what this cut will do first, for my waves. Tomorrow is washday, and we always cut hair right before that, so we'll see what it does tomorrow. :D

Oh wow, that's a 'chop/bigger trim' indeed!!! I bet it feels very different, and sounds like you're very satisfied with the change, so congratulations to you :)

I've been very tempted of late to do something similar - not for length but to jump ahead in growing out my layers... I'm just not yet ready to lose the length on myself because I do enjoy it. May I ask what your motivation was if you're willing to share?

Congrats again! A good cut can feel so refreshing and rejuvenating!

lapushka
November 26th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Oh wow, that's a 'chop/bigger trim' indeed!!! I bet it feels very different, and sounds like you're very satisfied with the change, so congratulations to you :)

I've been very tempted of late to do something similar - not for length but to jump ahead in growing out my layers... I'm just not yet ready to lose the length on myself because I do enjoy it. May I ask what your motivation was if you're willing to share?

Congrats again! A good cut can feel so refreshing and rejuvenating!

I have... no idea. I just kept thinking short/APL for a long time after I had my last trim, then my mom talked me out of it (bunning?) and so close to the end of the year festivities, I would need to change up the way I "do" my hair totally. So I'm glad I didn't go shorter and stuck to waist length. I ended up just eyeballing the length that needed to come off, thinking in my mind what length I would still be, and it worked out. Just... you know... it happened. :lol:

And it for sure will grow back! ;)

dancedance
November 26th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I just chopped off about 4 inches. I needed it, I'm working on getting rid of my bleach, and those last several inches were getting pretty straggly. They would not comb out, and they were getting crimps in them up to 2 inches up the shaft. It feels good - my hair looks and feels much better, and I am basically blunt now. No more layers!

lapushka
November 26th, 2016, 12:21 PM
I just chopped off about 4 inches. I needed it, I'm working on getting rid of my bleach, and those last several inches were getting pretty straggly. They would not comb out, and they were getting crimps in them up to 2 inches up the shaft. It feels good - my hair looks and feels much better, and I am basically blunt now. No more layers!

If it feels better, you did the right thing! :thumbsup:

LongCurlyTress
December 15th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Yep! I guess I belong here! A couple of weeks ago I "chopped off" 5 inches... 37 inches (@TBL) back to 32 inches... due to alot of breakage during detangling. It started raining where I live and my curly 3b/f/iii hair was frizzing terribly ... in addition, I tried to use a bit of BounceCurl haircream/gel to smooth out the frizz and it basically stuck my hair together. It has silk protein in it and that nested and tangled my hair worse than ever. ugh... needless to say, alot of hairs broke off during detangling so I chopped back to hip length. I miss my length so much! Oh, I also cut in face framing layers to chin length.. ugh.. big mistake! At least it will all still go into a nape ponytail or a bun... but a braid looks all wacked out now since it is thick at the top but then due to the face framing layers, it tapers down really strangely with the bulk at the top of the braid. Well, thanks for letting me vent here. :( It will grow... Just wearing it up and forgeting about it....:rolleyes:

Swan Maiden
December 16th, 2016, 12:12 AM
I cut to waist this summer. I just got it trimmed again a week ago into a slight U shape. I plan on letting it grow back to Tailbone or Classic but I am not going to stress about how long it takes me to get there. Health over Length for me.

Upside Down
December 16th, 2016, 05:15 AM
I cut a deep V so I chopped like 10 cm off my front bits.
It is ok, and definetly helped even out the hemline but I think more needs to go from the back. Or into a lob, still considering that one :lol:

school of fish
December 29th, 2016, 03:08 PM
It's my seasonal 'mini-chop' day today - just took off about an inch and a half. Looks no different than it did before :p

Actually it does look a bit different - my hem 'reads' a bit straighter now. I wish it looked a bit thicker but I know realistically that's not going to happen until the layers all grow out ;)

But hey, I'm 1-1/2" closer to getting there!! :D

MidnightMoon
December 29th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Phew I wish I had only 12cm between a bit past waist and classic lol.
I think 12cm is like half my butt :laugh:

school of fish
December 30th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Addendum to my post from yesterday - after this morning's wash and with the fresh eyes of a new day, my ends *do* look thicker, which translates to my hair as a whole looking thicker :) When I look back at photos from about 3 or 4 years ago the difference is night and day!

Starting to feel like the completion of this layer growout is actually visible on the horizon... ;)

lapushka
December 30th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Yes, washes are *amazing* after chops and cuts. :) That's why I always trim right before a wash (and because my waves have sagged by then too. ;))

spidermom
January 15th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Does anybody know what happened? Wusel posted a second thread about cutting her hair and featuring her video this morning. I came back to make a comment, but there's no longer a thread. I thought that maybe it got merged with this one, but no. Did I hallucinate it?

Rowdy
January 15th, 2017, 06:33 PM
No I saw it too. I figured it got moved but now I can't find it either.

turtlelover
January 15th, 2017, 06:50 PM
No I saw it too. I figured it got moved but now I can't find it either.

I heard from someone else that some ugly comments were made, and it got deleted.

wispe
January 15th, 2017, 08:47 PM
I heard from someone else that some ugly comments were made, and it got deleted.

Things were getting a little heated in there. It was kind of stressing me out reading it, tbh.

hayheadsbird
January 16th, 2017, 12:04 AM
Ah - I was wondering where it had gone. That would explain it.

Mainesongbird
June 16th, 2017, 09:33 PM
I've seen a lot of microtrimming posts lately, anyone still doing big trims? I am planning on trimming 4 inches in the next few days. Haven't trimmed since before Xmas... almost at hip but my ends are getting wispier and grabby. Looking forward to those nice fresh ends!

school of fish
June 17th, 2017, 01:13 AM
I've seen a lot of microtrimming posts lately, anyone still doing big trims? I am planning on trimming 4 inches in the next few days. Haven't trimmed since before Xmas... almost at hip but my ends are getting wispier and grabby. Looking forward to those nice fresh ends!

Yes I do - every 3 months I take a larger amount and on the in-between months I dust the racers. My next larger trim will be in a few days too :)

Dendra
June 17th, 2017, 03:57 AM
Thanks for reawakening this thread - I think I belong here too. I cut off about three inches at the end of March, and plan to cut another bit (will judge how much at the time) at the end of this month.

I need to get rid of the U shaped hemline I put in in March, though that'll take a few trims. I'm also gradually chopping out hendigo, but it'll be at least a year and a half before that's gone!

lapushka
June 17th, 2017, 05:39 AM
When I'm back to maintaining, I am planning on cutting a few inches off every 4 months. Or even trimming 3 to 4 inches every 6 months. Depends. But first: more growth, because I'm recovering from a hip-length big chop right now. :)

Mainesongbird
June 19th, 2017, 08:30 AM
I just did it! 4 1/4 inches gone! Went from solid waist to below BSL. Its shotter than its been in years, but it feels thicker and healthier already! Will try to post pic when its dry.

school of fish
June 23rd, 2017, 07:28 AM
Chop-trim day, yessssss!!! I love my quarterly seasonal larger trim, it's like hitting a reset button for me :D

Today I took 1 inch from my hemline and 1/2 an inch from each of my 3 layers. Everything looks so blunt and fresh, I love it! Looks tidier, feels better, doesn't look any shorter to the non-LHC world ;)

Honestly, sometimes I wish my growth rate was superspeedy just so I could do this size trim every month, hahaha!!

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 07:51 AM
I just did it! 4 1/4 inches gone! Went from solid waist to below BSL. Its shotter than its been in years, but it feels thicker and healthier already! Will try to post pic when its dry.

Wow that's a lot. But below BSL is still a good length! :)

Chop-trim day, yessssss!!! I love my quarterly seasonal larger trim, it's like hitting a reset button for me :D

Today I took 1 inch from my hemline and 1/2 an inch from each of my 3 layers. Everything looks so blunt and fresh, I love it! Looks tidier, feels better, doesn't look any shorter to the non-LHC world ;)

Honestly, sometimes I wish my growth rate was superspeedy just so I could do this size trim every month, hahaha!!

1 inch is not that big (in my world), but it's a big deal for most of us!!!

I'm glad you're happy with your new freshened up ends! :)

school of fish
June 23rd, 2017, 08:01 AM
Wow that's a lot. But below BSL is still a good length! :)

1 inch is not that big (in my world), but it's a big deal for most of us!!!

I'm glad you're happy with your new freshened up ends! :)

Haha, yes I know 1" still falls within 'microtrim' territory for many here, but I have the hair that needs monthly scissors to keep ends behaving well - so between the 2 monthly 1/4" microtrims and the quarterly 1" larger trim, that's the most I can take without losing length ;)

I'd love to be able to go longer between trims and take larger amounts, but past experience has proven that this hair can't take it without consequence. I marvel at people who are able to go 6 months or a year or longer without trimming - no matter how good I am to my hair, I'll never be in that league :p

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 08:58 AM
Haha, yes I know 1" still falls within 'microtrim' territory for many here, but I have the hair that needs monthly scissors to keep ends behaving well - so between the 2 monthly 1/4" microtrims and the quarterly 1" larger trim, that's the most I can take without losing length ;)

I'd love to be able to go longer between trims and take larger amounts, but past experience has proven that this hair can't take it without consequence. I marvel at people who are able to go 6 months or a year or longer without trimming - no matter how good I am to my hair, I'll never be in that league :p

It's okay (I'm not going to kick you out of this thread :p), besides 1 inch is 2 months of growth, let's not forget that!!!

school of fish
June 23rd, 2017, 09:07 AM
It's okay (I'm not going to kick you out of this thread :p), besides 1 inch is 2 months of growth, let's not forget that!!!

Exactly :) 1" is a larger amount relative to *my* hair's needs - we're all different, right? ;)

MadelineMomo
October 22nd, 2019, 12:22 AM
I last had my hair trimmed in December 2018. Up until then, I was trimming it several times a year a la micro-trimming.

This year been searching and snipping split ends myself, but that's it. Overall I count it as a success: I went from BSL to WL brushing HL. Now as I'm coming up on a full year, I'm starting to wonder if trimming it once a year might be reasonable. I think I'd be willing to part with an inch of it, if that seemed like a strategic move for it's health long-term. I'm not sure if it is though?

MadelineMomo
December 9th, 2019, 03:23 PM
I last had my hair trimmed in December 2018. Up until then, I was trimming it several times a year a la micro-trimming.

This year been searching and snipping split ends myself, but that's it. Overall I count it as a success: I went from BSL to WL brushing HL. Now as I'm coming up on a full year, I'm starting to wonder if trimming it once a year might be reasonable. I think I'd be willing to part with an inch of it, if that seemed like a strategic move for it's health long-term.

I have an appointment for next week now, so seriously, I need some advice about how much is reasonable to cut under circumstances like this.

lapushka
December 9th, 2019, 04:52 PM
I have an appointment for next week now, so seriously, I need some advice about how much is reasonable to cut under circumstances like this.

1 to 2 inches should be enough. If a number of splits are higher up, you can S&D those out perfectly fine, with some time and patience. :flower:

Arciela
December 9th, 2019, 06:10 PM

I had to cut off an inch recently because it was left over bleached hair and split ridden. Now my hair is much happier :flower:

If it really has a lot of splits an inch should do it...if not, maybe S&D would work!

TheLuckyLurker
December 9th, 2019, 07:11 PM
I'm about to do this again, for the sake of an even hemline. And eliminating splits. I already took off about 2 inches myself, but I'm not quite happy with it.

shelomit
December 9th, 2019, 08:24 PM

I think part of this depends on where your split ends are developing. If you have them throughout your hair (i.e., not just the very hemline, but also on the ends of shorter hairs) then there's no point in trimming off a lot from the very bottom just for the sake of split ends. In that case, it's more about the shape/thickness of hemline that you're after, and/or overall length. When I'm trimming my hair just to correct the hemline, I find I rarely have to take off a full inch--more like a quarter-inch in some spots and nothing in other spots!

On the other hand, if it's only your very oldest hairs that are splitting noticeably and you want a fresh start on your ends, a half-inch to an inch sounds pretty reasonable.

MadelineMomo
December 10th, 2019, 08:24 AM
After she takes a look at my hair, I'm going to ask the stylist (who did micro-trimming for me back in 2018 and who I trust fairly well) how much she would take off. If it's more than an inch, I'll probably ask for 2/3 or 1/2 of her recommended amount.

It's mostly a question of where the bulk of my ends are, and bringing them all together for hemline firstly. But also, yeah, S&D is tedious and if we can cut off a lot of my ends at once that would make things easier.

MadelineMomo
December 12th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Update: I cut off an inch, inch and a half, and it's totally fine. I don't know why I got so worked up about it.

Laurab
December 12th, 2019, 09:13 PM
Update: I cut off an inch, inch and a half, and it's totally fine. I don't know why I got so worked up about it.

Glad it went well!
it's much better to say "I don't know why I was so worked up" than it is to say "I really should've been more careful"

lapushka
December 13th, 2019, 06:03 AM

I am also glad it went well! :) And I totally get it, losing length can be a little stressful particularly when you are still in a growing stage and working towards a goal length. :flower: 1 inch to 1.5 inches doesn't sound bad at all! :D

MadelineMomo
December 27th, 2019, 08:09 AM
I went in prepared to take off an inch, and I asked my haircutter, "If I just asked you to clean up the ends, and gave you no restrictions, how much would you cut?" I was prepared to ask for like half or 2/3 of what she recommended, but she took a look and said "An inch, maybe an inch and a half." So I said that was fine, do that.

lapushka
December 27th, 2019, 08:23 AM
I went in prepared to take off an inch, and I asked my haircutter, "If I just asked you to clean up the ends, and gave you no restrictions, how much would you cut?" I was prepared to ask for like half or 2/3 of what she recommended, but she took a look and said "An inch, maybe an inch and a half." So I said that was fine, do that.

Looks like that's a keeper! :D :thumbsup:

TheLuckyLurker
December 27th, 2019, 07:24 PM
I went last Monday, and got 2 inches taken off. I was surprised at how small 2 inches is; being on this site gave me weird perspective, I think.

lapushka
December 28th, 2019, 09:24 AM
I went last Monday, and got 2 inches taken off. I was surprised at how small 2 inches is; being on this site gave me weird perspective, I think.

LOL! :lol:

Deborah
December 28th, 2019, 03:09 PM
Oops! I thought this thread was about people like me who don't cut real often, but who have often cut off 6 - 14 inches at one shot, quite painlessly. Maybe I'm in a pretty small minority.:couch:

lapushka
December 28th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Oops! I thought this thread was about people like me who don't cut real often, but who have often cut off 6 - 14 inches at one shot, quite painlessly. Maybe I'm in a pretty small minority.:couch:

It's for everyone who cuts more than an inch, to a few inches, and basically maintains or needs to cut a larger piece off. So yes, you're fine! :flower:

lapushka
December 13th, 2020, 07:33 AM
I think I *finally* took the last of my growth off for the year. I maintained classic.

Last week I trimmed my layers (unicorn cut / compact cut), but I didn't take enough off. Apparently my hair grew like a weed this year. :shrug: So I took an inch more off (last week an inch and a half) and now it's OK.

Who else is taking their growth mostly off / maintaining a cut for which a larger chunk needs to come off. Come join me!

school of fish
December 13th, 2020, 08:19 AM
I think I *finally* took the last of my growth off for the year. I maintained classic.

Last week I trimmed my layers (unicorn cut / compact cut), but I didn't take enough off. Apparently my hair grew like a weed this year. :shrug: So I took an inch more off (last week an inch and a half) and now it's OK.

Who else is taking their growth mostly off / maintaining a cut for which a larger chunk needs to come off. Come join me!

Yup, I'm doing similar, maintaining indefinitely in the tailbone-to-classic range :)

I usually microtrim my growth monthly to keep my length steady but for the last while I've been dusting each month and then taking a larger chunk every half year.

My next trim is coming up at the turn of the year and I'm thinking I'll take about 2"/5cm off - will try to remember to check in when I do :D

lapushka
December 13th, 2020, 10:40 AM
Yup, I'm doing similar, maintaining indefinitely in the tailbone-to-classic range :)

I usually microtrim my growth monthly to keep my length steady but for the last while I've been dusting each month and then taking a larger chunk every half year.

My next trim is coming up at the turn of the year and I'm thinking I'll take about 2"/5cm off - will try to remember to check in when I do :D

Oooh awesome!

I now love maintaining my length. It's about finding a good "system" that works for trimming!

Liz_H
December 13th, 2020, 12:26 PM
I'm definitely in this camp. No way would I have the patience for microtrimming. I'm growing out the length, but also want to get rid of the layers. I took about 4"/10cm last January. The center back is now well past tailbone. I didn't expect to like this length so much! Now that my grabby ends are under control, I'll wait at least until January, then take another 4" off. Fortunately I rarely get split ends. I should probably move to twice a year anyway.

WavyWannabe
December 31st, 2020, 10:41 AM
I decided to start maintaining at tailbone for some time, and I think I prefer slightly bigger "chops" to frequent microtrims, too.
I've never tried microtrimming but I tend to basically forget about my hair for weeks or months, so sticking to a microtrimming schedule would be kind of hard.
I cut off about 3 cm last week with spidermom's method; I love it! I used to do Feye's method but I was always feeling like the result wasn't quite even :p
I really like how freshly cut ends feel ... so soft!

bparnell75
December 31st, 2020, 04:52 PM
I decided to start maintaining at tailbone for some time, and I think I prefer slightly bigger "chops" to frequent microtrims, too.
I've never tried microtrimming but I tend to basically forget about my hair for weeks or months, so sticking to a microtrimming schedule would be kind of hard.
I cut off about 3 cm last week with spidermom's method; I love it! I used to do Feye's method but I was always feeling like the result wasn't quite even :p
I really like how freshly cut ends feel ... so soft!

This describes me perfectly. maintaining at tailbone or just below with trims of about 2-3 inches at a time. I use feyes method.

lapushka
January 1st, 2021, 08:52 AM
I trim every season, so 4 times a year, taking between 1 and 2 inches off. I don't do it monthly and take itty bits off. No it's an inch to a couple in one go. Makes it tons easier to maintain a certain length!

C_Bookworm
January 1st, 2021, 11:08 AM
I trim every season, so 4 times a year, taking between 1 and 2 inches off. I don't do it monthly and take itty bits off. No it's an inch to a couple in one go. Makes it tons easier to maintain a certain length!

I love your schedule, lapushka! After easing out of a year of no-trim, adapting to a aseasonal model this year sounds about perfect.

school of fish
January 1st, 2021, 11:23 AM
I did my mini chop yesterday morning and took off about 1.75"/4cm.

The length doesn't really look any different but the hemline looks stronger, particularly on the side/front parts where it gets wispier.

My next little choppy-chop will likely be in June when I'll take a similar amount - until then I'll dust monthly since that's what my ends like best, and the overall length stays in the tbl-classic range :)

Happy New Year everyone!!

pisinoe
January 1st, 2021, 11:31 AM
I have no patience for mini trims so I hope to be joining you all once I reach TBL and maintain to thicken and straighten my hemline! :)

lapushka
January 1st, 2021, 04:12 PM
I love your schedule, lapushka! After easing out of a year of no-trim, adapting to a aseasonal model this year sounds about perfect.

I still don't know how that came about. I did my compact cuts / layered cuts / unicorn cuts about 2 times a year for a couple years, well at least one. And then in between I "maintained" with Feye's, but the layers got tangled in between cuts, and I thought well, might as well cut that time in half and do it 4 times a year.

Since I now trim it after it comes out the towel on freshly brushed hair (damp hair) after the wash, it has become so easy.

But you have to find your groove with these things. 4x layering and then laying off of it sounds about right, for me.

lapushka
March 14th, 2021, 10:48 AM
Had to cut 3/4 inch with Feye's self-trimming method and on top of that, over an inch with the compact cut (unicorn cut) method. My hair grows like a weed. And if you're maintaining it is a big pain in the butt.

And this is not a lot for me. I think in total I took 2 inches, 2 methods combined. <sigh>

Last time I did it this way was December, I think... if I remember right. If I didn't have to trim in between, because... it happens!

Back to classic! :cheer:

MadelineMomo
March 16th, 2021, 01:55 PM
I just cut off 2 ~ 2.5 inches. It feels like the biggest cut I've done in quite a while, although I can't remember enough about my haircuts in the last few years to know if this is factual or not.

lapushka
December 30th, 2022, 04:55 PM
I cut 35cm off my hair tonight.

It had gotten so thin, I mean it was/is pitiful (base still is 4 inches).

I made 2 ponytails middle/side of my head and cut off my hair that way (layers), which is not typical for me. I then proceeded to Feye-cut the bottom (about 2cm). So I guess 37cm total.

Those ponytails? Each of them a sharpie pen thick. So my hair has gotten quite thin all of a sudden (middle to ends). I think it is the bunning that made that happen.

Anyway, since I don't want this public, and I took face-on photos, I am going to tell you guys the pictures (to the side, sorry, off of the phone) are in my album (private album). If you want to see them and we aren't "friends" yet, friend me. No guarantee though, if you are too new or I don't know you well, chances are I am not giving you access. There's that.

I guess I should change my signature now. :shrug: :o

pisinoe
December 30th, 2022, 05:17 PM

I made 2 ponytails middle/side of my head and cut off my hair that way (layers), which is not typical for me. I then proceeded to Feye-cut the bottom (about 2cm). So I guess 37cm total.

Those ponytails? Each of them a sharpie pen thick. So my hair has gotten quite thin all of a sudden (middle to ends). I think it is the bunning that made that happen.

Anyway, since I don't want this public, and I took face-on photos, I am going to tell you guys the pictures (to the side, sorry, off of the phone) are in my album (private album). If you want to see them and we aren't "friends" yet, friend me. No guarantee though, if you are too new or I don't know you well, chances are I am not giving you access. There's that.

Losing thickness is always hard, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you lapushka! In which ways do you think bunning caused this? If it's not too intrusive or too early to ask, how long is your hair now and do you have plans to grow it back to classic?

BVU
December 30th, 2022, 05:29 PM

I'm sorry to hear about you losing thickness and having to cut :( Along with the buns, do you think your recent stress has something to do with it?

vampyyri
December 30th, 2022, 05:57 PM

I've been there, I know that it's hard :( I know your hair grows really fast, so you'll be back to where you were before in no time :flowers:

lapushka
December 30th, 2022, 06:31 PM
Losing thickness is always hard, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you lapushka! In which ways do you think bunning caused this? If it's not too intrusive or too early to ask, how long is your hair now and do you have plans to grow it back to classic?

Thank you so much for understanding. I tight-bunned; I mean my buns were never restrictively tight, but not loose either. I mean I never combed, so just put it up by "adjusting" it slightly with fingers here and there.

It's BSL. I am right there!

I think I am not going to cut it more, and I'll just see what 2023 brings for me.

I'm sorry to hear about you losing thickness and having to cut :( Along with the buns, do you think your recent stress has something to do with it?

Thank you. Yes, I am under *so much* pressure. My mom is my main caregiver, broke the foot, and now my aunt comes and helps us out but she can't be here 24/7. She does what she can, but that also means we have to do what we can (or can't). If I can get a wash (not just a splash here and there) every 2 days, I'm happy. And no, we don't want strangers in the house. I mean my aunt's coming round tomorrow so we'll be OK for NY.

I've been there, I know that it's hard :( I know your hair grows really fast, so you'll be back to where you were before in no time :flowers:

Thanks so much vampyyri. Means a lot! :) At this point I am unsure if I want to stick it out this length or grow back. I think I might grow back, so I think the no trimming 2023 thread just became a challenge for me. :D

C_Bookworm
December 31st, 2022, 02:05 AM

I’m sorry :flower: Wishing you much happy growing in 2023.

———

Perusing this thread because my annual chop is coming up January 1, and after a couple of years of minor cuts to gain length, I know this year is going to be a major one. The ends have become more tangly and unmanageable. *sigh* I know it’s needed and I’ll be happy after the fact, but :shrug: still all up in my feels about it.

Bat
December 31st, 2022, 02:26 AM
oh man, thats such a loss D: hopefully it grows back fast and better than it was before

squirrrel
December 31st, 2022, 05:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss of thickness, Lapushka. It’s hard to do without what you have been used to. I know I sometimes find my thinner ends frustrating but at least they have grown along with me and I have known I would need a time of maintaining to thicken up after. For it to come through other factors is a shock. I look forward to seeing how your re growth goes. Given your recent speed, hopefully it will come along quickly.

lapushka
December 31st, 2022, 05:23 AM
You guys are the sweetest! :flower: Thanks so much.

Yeah, there's that. It grows like a weed and I still don't know why.

pisinoe
December 31st, 2022, 06:33 AM
Thank you so much for understanding. I tight-bunned; I mean my buns were never restrictively tight, but not loose either. I mean I never combed, so just put it up by "adjusting" it slightly with fingers here and there.

It's BSL. I am right there!

I think I am not going to cut it more, and I'll just see what 2023 brings for me.

The constant scalp tension due to bunning could have played a big role indeed. I also think that your layered hair cut probably didn't help masking the loss of thickness so it was more visible. Again, I'm sorry that happened to you and I wish you happy healing and growing! We're both at BSL together now :D

GoatLady
December 31st, 2022, 07:29 AM
Well poop. That sucks. I hope you can pinpoint what caused it. I hope it's not the bunning, as I have to bun my hair daily.

AmaryllisRed
December 31st, 2022, 07:37 AM

As someone who just went through something similar, sending you :grouphug:

lapushka
December 31st, 2022, 08:54 AM
Thank you so much you guys. I am overloaded with mom's care (and mine) so pardon me for not replying to each of you separately. I love you guys, let me tell you that much. Thank you so much for understanding, that means the world to me.

lapis_lazuli
December 31st, 2022, 09:58 AM
Wow! It's a bit of a surprise, lapushka, but I totally understand your reasons for doing it. I hope 2023 will bring better things for you and your family. It's lovely to see your face and your hair is beautiful :)

lapushka
December 31st, 2022, 10:05 AM
Wow! It's a bit of a surprise, lapushka, but I totally understand your reasons for doing it. I hope 2023 will bring better things for you and your family. It's lovely to see your face and your hair is beautiful :)

Ah, thank you so much. :D That's sweet.

Yeah, I think a big part of it is not knowing how to deal with stuff that is above my strength, as my mom was my main caregiver, and now that chain is broken a bit. I mean she does what she can but I can't ... I don't feel I can ask that of her, you know. Which puts so much pressure on me; sooo much; man. Phew. I never knew.

Lady Stardust
December 31st, 2022, 03:42 PM
I’m sorry you’re going through such an unnerving time lapushka :grouphug:

I hope the new length feels fresh and bouncy and one less thing to worry about for now :flower:

lapushka
December 31st, 2022, 05:58 PM
I’m sorry you’re going through such an unnerving time lapushka :grouphug:

I hope the new length feels fresh and bouncy and one less thing to worry about for now :flower:

So true! Hey, this too shall pass. My mom will get better.

Aunt Rapunzel
January 1st, 2023, 12:36 PM
My mom fell and broke her shoulder a few months ago, and it's been a challenge even with her being able to still use both of her legs. I can imagine how much harder it is with your mom losing part of her mobility, and how much that changes everything for both of you. I hope that she heals quickly, and that life returns to a less-stressful normal for you soon!

lapushka
January 1st, 2023, 02:31 PM
My mom fell and broke her shoulder a few months ago, and it's been a challenge even with her being able to still use both of her legs. I can imagine how much harder it is with your mom losing part of her mobility, and how much that changes everything for both of you. I hope that she heals quickly, and that life returns to a less-stressful normal for you soon!

Thank you so much. Mobility and losing a part of it, if not almost everything (as is in my case)... it's tough. Glad for the amazing outside help (my youngest aunt) we're getting. Must have been hard, Aunt Rapunzel. And it probably still is!!! Fractures takes months to heal well. My dad broke his elbow in his youth, as a young teen, he can't reach to the back with his arm.

BTW, I managed to rotate the pictures. I hadn't yet installed "The Gimp" on my PC, and so I just did and managed to do some magic. ;)
So I re-uploaded the pictures.

MusicalSpoons
January 2nd, 2023, 12:11 PM
Oh wow, I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time lapushka :flowers: I can only imagine how difficult it is at the moment, my Mum is my main carer too but in slightly different ways. I hope you can enjoy growing it again in the coming year, ans best wishes for your Mum's healing.

Sorry to hear about your loss of thickness, Lapushka. It’s hard to do without what you have been used to. I know I sometimes find my thinner ends frustrating but at least they have grown along with me and I have known I would need a time of maintaining to thicken up after. For it to come through other factors is a shock. I look forward to seeing how your re growth goes. Given your recent speed, hopefully it will come along quickly.

Very well said.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2023, 12:50 PM
Oh wow, I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time lapushka :flowers: I can only imagine how difficult it is at the moment, my Mum is my main carer too but in slightly different ways. I hope you can enjoy growing it again in the coming year, ans best wishes for your Mum's healing.

Very well said.

Thank you so much, Spoons! Well appreciated! :D I am counting the days until she is more mobile (couple weeks), until she's in a brace (hopefully, x-rays will have to show she's ready). But it will be less frustrating for *her* as well, let's not forget my mom's frustration here. OMG.

Obsidian
January 2nd, 2023, 06:11 PM
I can imagine your moms frustration, could she use one of those knee scooters? My mom fractured both wrists in a fall a couple years back, she was able to do most things on her own but I had to help her wash her hair. Luckily she only had to get braces and not regular casts.

Your hair is still beautiful even if its shorter then you'd like. Are you still able to bun or is it too thick at this length?

lapushka
January 2nd, 2023, 06:47 PM
I can imagine your moms frustration, could she use one of those knee scooters? My mom fractured both wrists in a fall a couple years back, she was able to do most things on her own but I had to help her wash her hair. Luckily she only had to get braces and not regular casts.

Your hair is still beautiful even if its shorter then you'd like. Are you still able to bun or is it too thick at this length?

Too short, Obsidian. I can manage a nice & fluffy peacock twist, it cascades so nicely in back. :) I'm still happy with it.

My mom can't "balance", she couldn't walk on crutches, couldn't put pressure on them without tipping over. She is 77. I fear one of those scooters will be worse even, but thank you so much for thinking along. No, it's terrible. But she is in a walking cast now, has been for the last 3 weeks, with a booty. She manages to get around on her own right now. She just can't stand for long or do much more than bathroom breaks, a walk to the kitchen, and upstairs once a week to have a nice shower (otherwise it's bird baths in the kitchen sink).

angel-baby
January 2nd, 2023, 10:01 PM

That took courage, Lapushka! Wishing you lots of growth in 2023, and restored thickness

lapushka
January 3rd, 2023, 04:39 AM
That took courage, Lapushka! Wishing you lots of growth in 2023, and restored thickness

Thank you so much! BTW, I had to go to sleep overnight, but you should have access now!

lapushka
January 3rd, 2023, 04:41 AM
I managed to flip the pictures ("The Gimp" immediately recognizes the wrong "flip" aka rotation and allows you to correct it). I hadn't yet installed it on my new machine, which I have since this July so it was about time!!!

Finda
January 3rd, 2023, 10:16 AM
So sorry to read about your troubles, Lapushka. This must be a distressing time. All the best to you and your mother as well!

lapushka
January 3rd, 2023, 10:25 AM
So sorry to read about your troubles, Lapushka. This must be a distressing time. All the best to you and your mother as well!

Much love to you Finda, thank you for thinking of me! :D

Pouncequick
January 8th, 2023, 12:36 PM
Much love to you and yours laushka. I wish you all healing and better times in 2023.

rosenester
January 9th, 2023, 10:44 AM
I am considering doing big trims now rather than 1/2” or less. Really want to get rid of the bleach in big chunks this year. Will do one more small trim this spring to gain a little more length, and assess if I want to take a different approach then! I love the feel of my ends when cutting off 3-4 inches, it does a better job at getting most of the splits than the microtrims

Lapushka- I hope you get to the bottom of your loss of thickness. I hope it is not breakage from bunning, i’ve read somewhere in the archives that some find twisting damaging but I have to twist to get my slippery hair to hold so I hope it doesn’t damage over time :shrug: What about your unicorn cutting method, could something go wrong with your last few cuts??

lapushka
January 10th, 2023, 05:14 AM
Much love to you and yours laushka. I wish you all healing and better times in 2023.

You are so sweet! Thank you so much! :D I wish you all the best for a great 2023 as well! :)

I am considering doing big trims now rather than 1/2” or less. Really want to get rid of the bleach in big chunks this year. Will do one more small trim this spring to gain a little more length, and assess if I want to take a different approach then! I love the feel of my ends when cutting off 3-4 inches, it does a better job at getting most of the splits than the microtrims

Lapushka- I hope you get to the bottom of your loss of thickness. I hope it is not breakage from bunning, i’ve read somewhere in the archives that some find twisting damaging but I have to twist to get my slippery hair to hold so I hope it doesn’t damage over time :shrug: What about your unicorn cutting method, could something go wrong with your last few cuts??

Thank you. :) I do suspect it is breakage from bunning, have to say from the way *I* bunned. I don't think bunning in and of itself is a bad thing, but I might have done it too tightly, even though it didn't feel tight at all. I cut it differently this time as well. I thought for a short cut this method (2 ponytails to the side) would be more suitable for me. And you have no idea. Boy, does it liven up my texture. I had a couple ringlets in front this past Saturday. :D :cheer:

lapushka
January 11th, 2023, 03:21 AM
Even though there is breakage (and that needs growing back), I am still not sorry I took a leap back to put it nicely. I need for that hair to grow back in. And to be fair, this peacock twist that I'm sporting right now? I should have never steered away from it and started to bun. I think classic is too short of a length still for me to bun with comfort. I thought I had buns that weren't too tight, but... honestly? I could have seen it coming. :( :o And the fact that I always had these "shorter" hairs come out during a wash and before when I brushed before the wash, and never truly long hairs (my total length)... It should have clued me in. How do you suddenly wake up with that thin of a hair length. How? I still don't know. I think I just wasn't seeing it. :(

Plus it kind of looks cute and a lot less rigid than the bun! :) That's the good part.

vampyyri
January 11th, 2023, 04:23 AM
I do love me a good peacock twist at this length, and you're right, it's more casual :D I stopped doing them as soon as I could do a "real bun" with my length which is a shame. I might just break out the claw clips again to switch it up.

I'm glad you're enjoying club BSL, it's pretty nice here! :flowers:

MusicalSpoons
January 11th, 2023, 03:11 PM
Even though there is breakage (and that needs growing back), I am still not sorry I took a leap back to put it nicely. I need for that hair to grow back in. And to be fair, this peacock twist that I'm sporting right now? I should have never steered away from it and started to bun. I think classic is too short of a length still for me to bun with comfort. I thought I had buns that weren't too tight, but... honestly? I could have seen it coming. :( :o And the fact that I always had these "shorter" hairs come out during a wash and before when I brushed before the wash, and never truly long hairs (my total length)... It should have clued me in. How do you suddenly wake up with that thin of a hair length. How? I still don't know. I think I just wasn't seeing it. :(

Plus it kind of looks cute and a lot less rigid than the bun! :) That's the good part.

I get sheds of all lengths - good job they're not all my full length (in fact those are a minority), else I'd not have any of those left! ;)