PDA

View Full Version : Seen on Reddit....bun dropping!

WannabeViking
June 27th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Saw this and thought people here might get a kick out of it: https://imgur.com/gallery/u0LnF

:agape:

Angela_Rose
June 27th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Be wary of long hair things you find on Reddit!

Decoy24601
June 27th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Geez, some of those comments are horrendous! Why does everyone on reddit and imgur assume that if someone has long hair they're a religious fanatic, home-schooled, or are a high-maintenance princess? I've had hair around TBL for most of my life and even though it's thick, it's not as much work as someone would expect, it's not gross, and I'm not even religious (and I went to public school). "Short haircuts are so modern and popular, anything else is just freaky!" :steam: Sometimes I truly hate the internet. People seem to think it gives them an excuse to spew ignorant filth with no consequences. Those kinds of people just turn into little teasing/bullying children when they have access to the internet. I'm sure many of those people would never say those things to someone's face.

Anyways, besides the OT rant, those bun drops are absolutely gorgeous.

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 09:48 PM
So pretty I cannot wait to be able todo that.

WannabeViking
June 27th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Geez, some of those comments are horrendous! Why does everyone on reddit and imgur assume that if someone has long hair they're a religious fanatic, home-schooled, or are a high-maintenance princess? I've had hair around TBL for most of my life and even though it's thick, it's not as much work as someone would expect, it's not gross, and I'm not even religious (and I went to public school). "Short haircuts are so modern and popular, anything else is just freaky!" :steam: Sometimes I truly hate the internet. People seem to think it gives them an excuse to spew ignorant filth with no consequences. Those kinds of people just turn into little teasing/bullying children when they have access to the internet. I'm sure many of those people would never say those things to someone's face.

Anyways, besides the OT rant, those bun drops are absolutely gorgeous.

I totally agree. I don't ever read the comments on imgur images, especially. Youtube comments either, for that matter. It simplified my life greatly! :D Relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/386/

-Fern
June 27th, 2016, 09:55 PM
I recognized one of those bun drops. :laugh:

Adorkable One
June 27th, 2016, 09:56 PM
All those gifs are taking way too long to load for me. Lol. I wish my hair moved like that. When I pull my sticks out, all my hair just sticks together. Bleach damage is real!

Kandy25
June 27th, 2016, 11:51 PM
Amazing.... I wish I had it like that.. :( What do they do to get such long hair?

Decoy24601
June 27th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Amazing.... I wish I had it like that.. :( What do they do to get such long hair?

From everything I've seen, a combination of patience, genetics, and care (protecting hair from damage, etc). Some people have shorter or longer terminal lengths. Some people can have a thick, full hemline at classic and some can't, along with longer length.

Frankenstein
June 28th, 2016, 12:24 AM
Serious case of hair envy going on for me right now :D

blackcats666
June 28th, 2016, 01:31 AM
Some of those buns did a great job of hiding length, I was really shocked at some of these!

I make a point to never read the comments on these things but "my drains clogged from just watching this" made me laugh

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 03:07 AM

Like Decoy already mentioned, "a combination of patience, genetics and care". Also, not trimming every 6-8 weeks like a hairdresser usually "orders" you. Hair can go without trimming (if it's undamaged from heat and dye) for years. Hair only grows 6 inches a year, on average, so you need to maximize on that.

Manuela L88
June 28th, 2016, 03:48 AM
Amazing! I can't wait till my hair is that long!

Nique1202
June 28th, 2016, 04:53 AM
I used to think that bun drops were a Hollywood trick. Now I can do my own, but I'm still a little covetous of the lengths in some of those gifs. Someday, though! :pray:

gossamer
June 28th, 2016, 05:07 AM
I think of bun drop videos as generally being for a specific segment of hair fanciers on the internet, and don't really get their appeal as I'm not into hair that way. But it sounds like I've misunderstood. Anyone care to help me understand why bun drop videos are enjoyable?

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 05:13 AM
I think of bun drop videos as generally being for a specific segment of hair fanciers on the internet, and don't really get their appeal as I'm not into hair that way. But it sounds like I've misunderstood. Anyone care to help me understand why bun drop videos are enjoyable?

Same here. I don't get it. :shrug:

Nique1202
June 28th, 2016, 05:16 AM

I think it's mostly just that they look pretty, to me anyway. They're a way for someone with long hair to show off, and the sight of a little bun expanding into a curtain of hair that stretches down the body gives a really surprising and sort of graceful effect, I guess? When I had short hair and wasn't sure if I could have very long hair, bun drops were the stuff my dreams were made of, unattainable and alluring. Now I still find them pretty even though they don't hold the same mystique for me.

(I don't want to get into the hair ******ist side, I'm just talking as someone who really admires long hair for the beauty of it.)

gossamer
June 28th, 2016, 05:18 AM
I think it's mostly just that they look pretty, to me anyway. They're a way for someone with long hair to show off, and the sight of a little bun expanding into a curtain of hair that stretches down the body gives a really surprising and sort of graceful effect, I guess? When I had short hair and wasn't sure if I could have very long hair, bun drops were the stuff my dreams were made of, unattainable and alluring. Now I still find them pretty even though they don't hold the same mystique for me.

(I don't want to get into the hair ******ist side, I'm just talking as someone who really admires long hair for the beauty of it.)

Your response is exactly the kind I was looking for. I'm not interested in the ******ist side either, but because I'd assumed they were mostly for that crowd, I was hoping to hear why the more general public might like them. And thanks for giving me some insight into why you enjoyed watching them. Hair goals makes sense! And hair in motion can often be really pretty.

ephemeri
June 28th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Most of the hair in these gifs looks so shiny and slippery.... can someone with longer hair please tell me: is this possible to achieve without the use of silicones?

:confused:

Decoy24601
June 28th, 2016, 06:45 AM
Most of the hair in these gifs looks so shiny and slippery.... can someone with longer hair please tell me: is this possible to achieve without the use of silicones?

I use a conditioner that has a lot of argan oil (no cones) and it makes my hair very slippery and shiny. YMMV of course.

missrandie
June 28th, 2016, 06:55 AM

I like them for the same reason as Nique... I always have "Tada!" in my head when they unravel.

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 06:57 AM

I think bun drops like that are only for 1s, IMO. I am only in the 2s and my bun just stays put when I pull the fork out. I have to manually take it apart. :lol: So no, not for me. And not that I'd want my bun to drop. I'd much rather it be this way and I can take it apart slowly and keep the sheds to my sink rather than all over the floor. :)

turtlelover
June 28th, 2016, 07:25 AM
My fine, wavy hair takes on the shape of the bun and generally just looks messy when I take it down. There is nothing glamorous about it! HAHA!!! Of course, if my hair were half as long as some of those women, the weight would probably pull out a lot of the bun waves. I like watching hair tutorials, etc., but just watching videos of people showing off their hair with no other focus is a little odd to me. I guess I love long hair, but not like THAT! LOL It is pretty, and I admire it, but that's it. I am happily married to a bald guy! ;-)

ephemeri
June 28th, 2016, 08:10 AM
I think bun drops like that are only for 1s, IMO. I am only in the 2s and my bun just stays put when I pull the fork out. I have to manually take it apart. :lol: So no, not for me. And not that I'd want my bun to drop. I'd much rather it be this way and I can take it apart slowly and keep the sheds to my sink rather than all over the floor. :)

That's also what I was thinking Lapushka! I thought maybe this really only happens to people with type 1 hair so I should stop hoping that one day my hair will do this when it's long enough. :)

I do love having wurly hair but sometimes I wish I could have my wurls AND have the shiny slipperiness too.

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 08:20 AM
That's also what I was thinking Lapushka! I thought maybe this really only happens to people with type 1 hair so I should stop hoping that one day my hair will do this when it's long enough. :)

I do love having wurly hair but sometimes I wish I could have my wurls AND have the shiny slipperiness too.

Oh we always want what we haven't got, don't we. ;) I'm content with my hair as is. It has its downsides and it has its upsides. After 30 years blowing it dry in about a straight form, I am enjoying the texture of it since about 14 years. Yep. Love it. I went through the whole rollercoaster with it, ups and downs, and I think I like it just the way it is now, even though I wish it would curl (but that's never going to happen). :lol: :o

pili
June 28th, 2016, 08:35 AM

Actually, somewhere on the forums there is a gorgeous curly bun drop video, so don't lose hope. Let me go look...

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfrZR8ZlOss

Yes, it looks different than a 1's would, but it's so shiny! Mine did this at almost hip, but my ends looked softer. Unfortunately, that was before smartphones, so no pics/vids.

ephemeri
June 28th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Actually, somewhere on the forums there is a gorgeous curly bun drop video, so don't lose hope. Let me go look...

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfrZR8ZlOss

Yes, it looks different than a 1's would, but it's so shiny! Mine did this at almost hip, but my ends looked softer. Unfortunately, that was before smartphones, so no pics/vids.

Oh my gosh, so shiny. I wonder what her routine is!

lithostoic
June 28th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Damn, they absolutely will not load.

Nvm I got most of them to load. How does their hair do that??? Mine just stays sausage shaped.

pili
June 28th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Oh my gosh, so shiny. I wonder what her routine is!

She is on LHC.

pailin
June 28th, 2016, 10:28 AM
My hair's not that long yet, but while my LWB doesn't drop like that, others do drop really fast, like Spidermom's bun. I think it's the bun used as well as hair texture.

Anje
June 28th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Some buns are definitely better for this sort of thing than others. I think the Pha bun works well, personally.

Nesoi
June 28th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I'm another one whose bun just stays out when I take the stick out ;) glad to see I'm not alone!

Agnes Hannah
June 28th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Damn, they absolutely will not load.

Nvm I got most of them to load. How does their hair do that??? Mine just stays sausage shaped.

Mine too!! I love the bun drops though because I love long hair, so aesthetics only nothing ****** or weird!

MlleMC
June 28th, 2016, 03:17 PM

They work perfectly well with my 2a hair. I rather like to drop my bun when I'm showing my length to people who haven't seen me in a long time. But if I don't shake my head after removing the stick, some buns can also stay in place for hours.

reilly0167
June 28th, 2016, 03:31 PM
She has beautiful hair, some people are just idiots and have nothing better to do than to hate on others for something they don't have. I say let the bun dropping begin:cheer:
Just the other day at work, one of my co workers asked how I do my bun, it was just a lazy wrap, so I pulled my stick out and she was amazed how long my hair is ( just past a bit bsl) and how it doesn't look like I do when its up:D its scorching hot in Florida and we work outdoors in the heat, so the young girls are catching on to the different bun styles they can do other than throw it up in pebbles flintstone looking do. I told them about you tube tutorials and the LHC.:) I think I may have started something here with them, teehee.

MlleMC
June 28th, 2016, 03:36 PM
When I first looked at the gifs, I thought "wow, their hair is so long". Then I looked a bit more carefully and noticed that my hair is just as long as half of them (or longer)!

Betazed
June 28th, 2016, 03:59 PM
When I first looked at the gifs, I thought "wow, their hair is so long". Then I looked a bit more carefully and noticed that my hair is just as long as half of them (or longer)!

Yep! This was my exact experience, too! You know your an LHC'er when anything above tailbone is no longer "long" to you.

As for the comments, what's with people demanding that long hair be donated? I recently had a random at my local coffee shop say the same thing. It's wash day so I ran out for coffee with it down and drying. A guy in line behind me said "You should donate all that hair". I had no idea how to respond without sounding rude or uncaring. What the hell is one supposed to say to that?

meteor
June 28th, 2016, 06:17 PM
As for the comments, what's with people demanding that long hair be donated? I recently had a random at my local coffee shop say the same thing. It's wash day so I ran out for coffee with it down and drying. A guy in line behind me said "You should donate all that hair". I had no idea how to respond without sounding rude or uncaring. What the hell is one supposed to say to that?

^ :agree: That's one of the 2 main reasons I wear hair up all the time (the other being that I like keeping hair out of the way). In this part of the world it's very common to receive persistent hair donation advice from complete strangers if your hair is longer than average.

Those bun drop gifs are beautiful, but I had a problem for a long time (maybe until tailbone?) of hair sliding out of updos unintentionally in public a few times a day at the worst times, so I actually don't like it when it happens to me, not only because I needed to redo the bun on the go, but also because it does tend to attract attention from strangers (incl. hair donation solicitations) at that point.

Since some folks mentioned that their buns don't seem to produce "bun drops" like that, I should add: a lot depends on the type of bun. :flower: An Ellingwoman bun or Amish bun or another bun with excellent hold won't produce this, obviously. I find that the buns that cause the fastest "bun drops" like that are the exact same buns that don't hold too well. So for example, a Cinnabun, a Figure-8 / Infinity bun and other twisted buns or something like Pha bun. Also, buns that aren't secured too well or are bunned very loosely. If you look at those gifs, it appears that the buns were done very loosely, enough to hold while the person isn't moving much and they aren't the kind of updos that would hold up perfectly all day during sports or other activities.

WannabeViking
June 28th, 2016, 07:03 PM
Yep! This was my exact experience, too! You know your an LHC'er when anything above tailbone is no longer "long" to you.

I've gotten a few times, and as a guy it can sometimes be a bit aggressive. Since, you know, guys who have long hair aren't "normal" in some people's eyes. Pfffffft.

HeavenlyTresses
June 30th, 2016, 11:35 AM

You read my mind! I know there are creepers out there but I also meet a lot of little girls (that go to school with my children or are involved in scouting) that are fascinated by long hair and the look on their face when I let the bun drop and it hits the floor is priceless :agape: It's like real, live princess hair to them :)

On the flip side...

Don't look at the comments, don't look at the comments, don't look... :justy: I looked at the comments! "You don't need hair that long!" You're right, I don't NEED hair that long but I WANT hair that long! And I also don't NEED to donate my hair but it would be a nice gesture on my part if I did donate it. Although I think donating blood or bone marrow might be more beneficial than chopping my hair off. Please tell me random stranger, what have you donated lately?

I have always been extremely polite when people ask questions about my hair but sometimes I just get a little :steam that people I don't know want to tell me what to do with my hair.

luxurioushair
July 4th, 2016, 06:03 AM
All of these are amazing!!!

missmelaniem
July 27th, 2016, 08:29 AM
The comments made me laugh

FantasyBoudicca
July 28th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Rolling my eyes at those who think long hair is for religious fanatics, hippies or high-maintenance princesses. I'm a moderate Buddhist, a wannabe programmer and I hold a Tae Kwon Do black belt - and I have hair down to my waist. Half the sports girls in my high school have long hair as well. Believe me, you really, really don't want to get on the receiving end of a punch from them. A notable example is a softballer who had hair at least down to her hips before she cut it to waist length (she slides across sand and dirt at least twice a week, I can't blame her). I also highly doubt all of them are religious fanatics.

Tassledown
August 1st, 2016, 12:15 PM
^ :agree: That's one of the 2 main reasons I wear hair up all the time (the other being that I like keeping hair out of the way). In this part of the world it's very common to receive persistent hair donation advice from complete strangers if your hair is longer than average.

Those bun drop gifs are beautiful, but I had a problem for a long time (maybe until tailbone?) of hair sliding out of updos unintentionally in public a few times a day at the worst times, so I actually don't like it when it happens to me, not only because I needed to redo the bun on the go, but also because it does tend to attract attention from strangers (incl. hair donation solicitations) at that point.

Since some folks mentioned that their buns don't seem to produce "bun drops" like that, I should add: a lot depends on the type of bun. :flower: An Ellingwoman bun or Amish bun or another bun with excellent hold won't produce this, obviously. I find that the buns that cause the fastest "bun drops" like that are the exact same buns that don't hold too well. So for example, a Cinnabun, a Figure-8 / Infinity bun and other twisted buns or something like Pha bun. Also, buns that aren't secured too well or are bunned very loosely. If you look at those gifs, it appears that the buns were done very loosely, enough to hold while the person isn't moving much and they aren't the kind of updos that would hold up perfectly all day during sports or other activities.

I am actually pleased with myself being so new to here and having picked up on the fact that most of the buns were very loose and that 90% of the women in the gifs were type 1's. There's always the question of texture and friction when it comes to hair motion. I hope with more weight I'll start getting more movement when I want to pull off stunts like that. To be fair, it's also hard to miss that I have a LOT of hair even in a bun too, so the amount that comes out of mine probably will only be a surprise in terms of horizontal volume, not vertical...

Gotta admit these videos do make me wish I had straighter hair though, the falls are just so very pretty...