PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent side hair breakage

mshizzleceba
June 27th, 2016, 06:53 PM
I don't have my hair typed yet, but plan to later this week. I have always had issues with thinner hair on the sides of my head. I have always been a side sleeper, so I suspect that has something to do with it. I don't tie my hair up too much anymore to try and prevent further breakage but it doesn't seem to work. I'm also going to work towards limiting hot tools as much as possible (except for when I have special events.)

Anyways, any input/advice would be much appreciated. Anyone who has been through this and had success in improving a similar situation would be greatly appreciated to hear from!

P.S. How do I attach photos from my computer that don't have a URL?

Kirby-oh
June 27th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Might have a short terminal length. I have straight hair but the sides curl up and I don't like it at all, but what can you do. Hoping to hear something interesting on this thread.

cailinbee
June 27th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Unless you have varying hair types growing on different regions on your scalp, I suspect you've got the most likely culprits nailed down. I also have a lot of breakage on the sides and this sort of "accidental layer" of shorter hair; I think that that hair just tends to take more of a beating than the rest.

Adorkable One
June 27th, 2016, 09:42 PM
I have the same problem. All the hair at the top and back of my head is long....but the hair around my hair line, as well as the sides, are all short. It looks like I have layers or something, but I do not. To make matters worse, this hair is also curlier than the rest of my hair, so they're hard to control. My nape has accrued a lot of damage as well, but I've been doing really well growing my nape hair. The sides are still struggling though.

I've been sleeping with a satin bonnet for a year now, in an attempt to protect them from friction. I think it's helped...but they still grow slow. Despite using a bonnet, because the hair is around my hairline, sometimes they become exposed during the night from all the tossing and turning I do. So I have a hard time keeping them protected. I can tell that the side I sleep on is a good inch or two shorter than the other side, so I'm confident that friction and other manual damage is the culprit. Despite my lack of success, I'd just suggest experimenting with ways of minimizing friction.

I'm trying to not flat iron this hair anymore either. I used to ONLY straighten these areas since they are curlier than the rest of my hair. So I've stopped doing that. I used to also smooth them down with hair spray, but I've found that to be drying. Oils are too heavy, so I've been using a hair salve from etsy to smooth them down rather than hair spray. It works great if I'm just going to have my hair up in bun. If I want to wear my hair down, I'll use a more conventional product like a frizz serum.

DoomKitty
June 28th, 2016, 03:36 AM
Have you tried sleeping on a satin pillowcase? I have face framing layers and sleep with the length braided back except for the layers and I haven't had a problem with breakage since switching to satin. Mine are just cheap ones from ebay.

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 03:36 AM
I'm a side-sleeper as well. I would not try and blame a position you sleep in when you're still using hot tools on your hair. If there's at all breakage involved, I would look at hot-tool use first and foremost. Examine your hair for white dots *along the strand* carefully (those are signs of impending breakage). Do not pull at them!

mshizzleceba
June 28th, 2016, 03:46 AM
I do have those white dots on the sides. I guess the only solution for that is to cut them?

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 05:16 AM
I do have those white dots on the sides. I guess the only solution for that is to cut them?

Do S&D missions, this is when you cut each individual hair, slightly above the split or white dot. Yes, the only solution is to cut them. You do not have to do this straight away, because they won't all break at once. I grew out from shoulder to hip while half of my head was riddled in white dots. Yes, I had breakage, but they didn't all break at once, you know. I cut back to BSL after a major S&D mission at hip (half my hair was thinned out because I had so many white dots). If I hadn't grown them out, I would have had to pixie my hair and I was not up for that! White dots are very resilient. If you notice you have many and they're quite high up the strand, you can grow them out. Yes you'll have some breakage once in a while but they won't break all in one go.

Just baby your hair as best you can and try low manipulation. Comb it out with a WT comb and go easy on it. No more heat, that's for sure, or you'll get even more of these!

mshizzleceba
June 28th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Do S&D missions, this is when you cut each individual hair, slightly above the split or white dot. Yes, the only solution is to cut them. You do not have to do this straight away, because they won't all break at once. I grew out from shoulder to hip while half of my head was riddled in white dots. Yes, I had breakage, but they didn't all break at once, you know. I cut back to BSL after a major S&D mission at hip (half my hair was thinned out because I had so many white dots). If I hadn't grown them out, I would have had to pixie my hair and I was not up for that! White dots are very resilient. If you notice you have many and they're quite high up the strand, you can grow them out. Yes you'll have some breakage once in a while but they won't break all in one go.

Just baby your hair as best you can and try low manipulation. Comb it out with a WT comb and go easy on it. No more heat, that's for sure, or you'll get even more of these!

Thanks, this is super helpful. I think my plan of action is the following:
1. change to CWC washing technique (read in the stickies about this, seems to make sense since my ends in general all over my hair are drier than the roots)
2. significantly reduce the usage of hot tools...it's not reasonable to stop altogether but significant reduction I'm sure will help
3. S&D missions after getting hair scissors.

I feel so much better knowing there is hope! Thank you, thank you. :)

P.S. most of my dots are pretty low on the shaft/at the end. Hopefully my next trim in 2 weeks will help rid of them.

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Thanks, this is super helpful. I think my plan of action is the following:
1. change to CWC washing technique (read in the stickies about this, seems to make sense since my ends in general all over my hair are drier than the roots)
2. significantly reduce the usage of hot tools...it's not reasonable to stop altogether but significant reduction I'm sure will help
3. S&D missions after getting hair scissors.

I feel so much better knowing there is hope! Thank you, thank you. :)

P.S. most of my dots are pretty low on the shaft/at the end. Hopefully my next trim in 2 weeks will help rid of them.

Just a question, and you don't have to answer it if you don't want to, but why do you want to keep straightening? Have you ever typed your hair? Or else, let us do it for you. It might be nice if you are a wavy or even curly to go the natural route.

mshizzleceba
June 28th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Just a question, and you don't have to answer it if you don't want to, but why do you want to keep straightening? Have you ever typed your hair? Or else, let us do it for you. It might be nice if you are a wavy or even curly to go the natural route.

I just think it looks better smooth/straight (especially with the dry ends) and it's just what I'm used to. It also makes my hair look longer since I'm growing it out :) I will definitely have my hair typed this week, probably in the next couple of days.

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 08:21 AM
I just think it looks better smooth/straight (especially with the dry ends) and it's just what I'm used to. It also makes my hair look longer since I'm growing it out :) I will definitely have my hair typed this week, probably in the next couple of days.

I used to think that too, until I discovered when I left it alone I actually had waves to it - changed everything for me!

mshizzleceba
June 28th, 2016, 08:25 AM
I used to think that too, until I discovered when I left it alone I actually had waves to it - changed everything for me!

I definitely have some waves, just doesn't seem to be consistent throughout my hair. Though maybe I'll learn a new styling technique from here and that may change my lief too! I love curly/wavy hair and often use a curling iron to attempt to get that look. Naturally obtained curls would be awesome!