PDA

View Full Version : What to do with annoying neck hairs

turtlelover
June 27th, 2016, 05:37 PM
I hate my bottom hairline. It comes down lower on the sides than in the middle, and the hairs creep well down onto my neck. I am FINE with having "neck wispies" but these are more like neck PATCHES, and I think they totally ruin the look of my updos. I am afraid to shave them off, though they are such a large area that I could probably do that to the lowest few hairs without it being noticeable, and other wispies would probably cover up the evidence. However, I imagine the maintenance of that could be annoying. I've even considered having them zapped off by electrolysis cause it bugs me that much. I like my neck, but this awful neck hair kind of ruins the effect. Am I the only one?

JennyP
June 27th, 2016, 08:24 PM
I call them my neck warmers, lol. And mine knot like crazy. They are very curly, though, so I am frequently wetting them, oiling, and spiraling around to dry. The hair grows probably half way down my neck. I don't like it either, but I have learned to just ignore it, since I don't have to look at it. Most people comment on how "adorable" the curls are. If I don't goop them up, though, they are just big dandelion balls of frizz on my neck. Kind of like your legs, though; once you start shaving, you have to keep it up! I don't think I would. Have you asked anyone else's opinion on how it looks?

turtlelover
June 27th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Well, I decided to trim the tiny, tiny amount at the very tip of the Vs that go down on each side of my neck to about 1-2 inches long using thinning scissors to give a natural look, and now the little pieces curl more easily and look cuter than the balls of ultra curly dandelion frizz rubbing on my collars that I had going on before. It seriously was a tiny, tiny amount of hair but it made a difference in the overall effect and really toned down the effect of those couple of hairs that were too long to ever make cute curls, but too short to ever stay in an updo. It looks more like a very subtle soft wispy look. I have no idea how to take a picture of the back of my head, or I'd show you. I doubt that anyone besides me would even notice cause it is pretty subtle. I doubt that this would work for straight hair as well, but for my fluff, it seemed to do the trick.

Simsy
June 28th, 2016, 05:41 AM
I generally let mine curl up near my neck. If they get in way or if they knot too badly, they get trimmed down.

lapushka
June 28th, 2016, 07:48 AM
I hate my bottom hairline. It comes down lower on the sides than in the middle, and the hairs creep well down onto my neck. I am FINE with having "neck wispies" but these are more like neck PATCHES, and I think they totally ruin the look of my updos. I am afraid to shave them off, though they are such a large area that I could probably do that to the lowest few hairs without it being noticeable, and other wispies would probably cover up the evidence. However, I imagine the maintenance of that could be annoying. I've even considered having them zapped off by electrolysis cause it bugs me that much. I like my neck, but this awful neck hair kind of ruins the effect. Am I the only one?

Um yeah, that's a normal hairline. :lol:

Maybe take a picture and let us have a look?

triumphator!
June 28th, 2016, 11:02 AM
My hair does just the same thing, and the nape hairs grow at 1/2 speed. (They are also 3x as curly too.) So I will always have little scraggly pieces. I just pin them up with bobby pins, honestly. Not much to be done. I have considered cutting them short and curling them into little tight curls. It might be cute. Might also be a disaster, though, so I haven't tried that yet.

PixieP
June 28th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I have so much neck hairs, but I've just given up on them. They slide out of pins and clips. My neckline always look super messy, but it is what it is.

I tried to change my hairline around my face once. Still dealing with that growing out. So I am not touching the hair on my neck!

nakima
June 28th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Hahaha! I was just thinking about this yesterday. My hair does this to and the hair on the right side is way longer than the left I used to like it when my hair was up but now they're not only uneven,ratty and out of control but their gray uuugh! I just oil them and try to keep them tucked away lol!

Anje
June 28th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Mine were driving me so nuts a few weeks ago (balls of dandelion fluff indeed!) that I grabbed one of those little cheapy groomer-trimmer things and shaved them off. Still happy about that decision! Mine are curly, tie themselves in fairy knots, and don't get long enough to incorporate into a ponytail or braid, ever. So, good riddance!

MlleMC
June 28th, 2016, 02:10 PM
I have them too, and they're extra long and longer on one side (as you can see here (http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/mclairel/e2c95196-5277-481c-8f3a-f30bb69dc51d.jpg)). I try to forget them, which only works as long as I don't check to see what my bun looks like. I've thought of trimming them too, especially the longer side. I could easily live with them if they were both like the shorter side, which nicely stays up most of the time (see here (http://s392.photobucket.com/user/mclairel/media/e339c449-7009-4a94-a6eb-2324dd6ebc95.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4) - the other photo is mirrored, that's why they're not on the same sides).

hobbitlocks
June 28th, 2016, 03:05 PM
I have this problem too (seems to be common!) -- I obsessively read everything I could find in the search at some point when I first joined! There doesn't seem to be an easy answer to these little hairs, but I've integrated a couple things into my routine. I gently finger detangle them before combing my hair. I also put some extra conditioner on them when my hair is wet after the shower. Finally, I got a sample of a really slick, coney serum and I've tried putting that on the little bits and it does seem to help them look more like cute little spirals instead of hair tumbleweeds.

I also stopped wearing the necklace I usually wear for a bit, and they did seem to get a little longer. But I missed my necklace! So I've started wearing it again, but I try to remember to take it off at night and hopefully that'll save me some accidental frictions and tangles. I have thought about trimming them so they would look a little neater, but I've never followed through! Glad to hear it seems to have worked well for you!

Tosca
June 28th, 2016, 07:16 PM
I used to bobby pin them up, but now I don't bother. To be honest I hardly notice them anymore. Maybe I'm blessed with nice neck fluff *shrugs*

turtlelover
June 28th, 2016, 07:20 PM
I will try to take a photo once I figure out how to set my phone's camera to autotime a photo. Plus, I have a giant, puffy mosquito bite on the back of my neck that makes the effect even less pleasant. HAHA

turtlelover
June 28th, 2016, 08:26 PM
OK....here it is post wispy trim. I think the wispies hide the fact that stray hairs go WAY down on my neck and look better than the formless clumps I had before that would absolutely NOT stay in a higher updo. If I change my mind, I am stuck with the hairs till they grow enough to blend in!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/m9MxQSFe5HkMHD3Roxry_FDj5s75zgKA7DipC99_kBa-YBPeSg6_kRS-YHUAY-Ierel_dhBNQarOIvU2c7UGC6QcbJ17dqib60B-gfDYFWndTe0cNXxrapo0Q0IxjZrNcbXTY4pBbqeifGge1tlDfD _ZVTMFlTKIxzztk_ePv8VzK6bduokN6soYsowkkCBn3rWQyks4 Z8KVGYia0sPI41-qCTNNP-SkbCoq45QAwf16zGTKRuIJGO0Jz5bmQviW2gOOGT5Hwa_pfY-hfD8wjJ46R9X2qghiLihVDMkO9S4PnAtB8-A6qX6A497QyvqU-K4mrriZre6RdQQ4gLmW_sIRwDyj9x9i3lG-KxJSjNXVfiNd5TFU0ogbtBtCvxR2tMy3oN0EGkPxOKzW_OLvoB x1qY3NIqGlh998pOHPGO9cKo8fkMNWtbvxVoPDESqrURNLp3Wy kVLXwonbKciEiu51NyWpuK9ts8hZnjIslStWTDx5If43O9MnIt atxC76PsysN3NlgmA9_EUw6FLZsWTQeZgbn2XuPfP7voljEnTc 4YVyLI_nYGTrTRzltQYLG4NbbKv-L7ZzsHNzmAzT7HHnvb6GfSs=w494-h878-no

EdG
June 28th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Very nice. :)

I wouldn't worry about neck hairs. Hair grows the way it does. :)
Ed

blackcats666
June 29th, 2016, 04:12 AM
I have a fuzzy, low nape too. The hair is extra curly and coarser than the rest of the hair of my head.
I never thought to oil them so thanks to everyone who mentioned it, I will give it a try.
Now I'm thinking about it if the hairs are coarser and curliest there I can probably afford to put more product there that would usually weigh me down

lapushka
June 29th, 2016, 05:32 AM
I agree with EdG, it is *so* pretty. I can't imagine not liking your hair line! :D

Tosca
June 29th, 2016, 05:44 AM
I think the little curls look lovely

slynr
June 29th, 2016, 06:59 AM
I love the look of your nape hairs. I think it's beautiful :)

Garnetgem
June 29th, 2016, 07:01 AM
I think neck hairs add femininity...i tend to leave mine.

missrandie
June 29th, 2016, 07:35 AM
OK....here it is post wispy trim. I think the wispies hide the fact that stray hairs go WAY down on my neck and look better than the formless clumps I had before that would absolutely NOT stay in a higher updo. If I change my mind, I am stuck with the hairs till they grow enough to blend in!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/m9MxQSFe5HkMHD3Roxry_FDj5s75zgKA7DipC99_kBa-YBPeSg6_kRS-YHUAY-Ierel_dhBNQarOIvU2c7UGC6QcbJ17dqib60B-gfDYFWndTe0cNXxrapo0Q0IxjZrNcbXTY4pBbqeifGge1tlDfD _ZVTMFlTKIxzztk_ePv8VzK6bduokN6soYsowkkCBn3rWQyks4 Z8KVGYia0sPI41-qCTNNP-SkbCoq45QAwf16zGTKRuIJGO0Jz5bmQviW2gOOGT5Hwa_pfY-hfD8wjJ46R9X2qghiLihVDMkO9S4PnAtB8-A6qX6A497QyvqU-K4mrriZre6RdQQ4gLmW_sIRwDyj9x9i3lG-KxJSjNXVfiNd5TFU0ogbtBtCvxR2tMy3oN0EGkPxOKzW_OLvoB x1qY3NIqGlh998pOHPGO9cKo8fkMNWtbvxVoPDESqrURNLp3Wy kVLXwonbKciEiu51NyWpuK9ts8hZnjIslStWTDx5If43O9MnIt atxC76PsysN3NlgmA9_EUw6FLZsWTQeZgbn2XuPfP7voljEnTc 4YVyLI_nYGTrTRzltQYLG4NbbKv-L7ZzsHNzmAzT7HHnvb6GfSs=w494-h878-no

Great trim! Your wispies look fantastic!

hobbitlocks
June 29th, 2016, 09:23 AM
That is very cute, turtlelover! Little spirals like that make me think of a Jane Austen novel or something. Maybe I will work up the courage to trim mine....

spidermom
June 29th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Well, from the outside looking in, I can assure you that I am never bothered by the appearance of another person's neck hairs.

My usual technique for these shorter hairs is to twirl them with lightly gelled fingers so they're gathered together in a semblance of a curl rather than all poufed out like steel wool.

H o n є y ❤
June 29th, 2016, 09:51 AM
I think neck hairs add femininity...i tend to leave mine.
Me too. I love them!