PDA

View Full Version : breaking bad habbit advice and support

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Hi so I have a...confession to make about my hair. I wash it like everyday any advice on how to get overt need to wash my hair starts to... Gross me out so I wash it. I work as a cashier and fill in for the cooks I. The back sometime so I am around food. I leave work feeling like my hair is nasty. But I know it's a no no I need a way to break the habit

Complexity
June 27th, 2016, 02:31 PM
It's not necessarily a bad thing if that's what your hair/scalp needs, but if you're wanting to not wash it so much perhaps you could try alternating with water only? Or if it's just the shower you crave you could try bunning it - I used to work in a grocery store so I can definitely understand the whole feeling gross at the end of the day thing.

Since your scalp is used to being washed every day, be prepared for a transition period (water washes in between might help with that too, though. I'm not sure).

HTH :)

vampyyri
June 27th, 2016, 02:31 PM
There's nothing wrong with having to wash your hair daily! Look up CWC method (Condition. Wash. Condition. You put conditioner on the length, shampoo the scalp, rinse, follow with usual conditioner) and WCC method (Wash. Condition. Condition. You shampoo as usual, and condition twice) on here, that would be one way to wash more frequently without drying your hair out! Also, try using sulfate free shampoos thrown in with the occasional clarifying shampoo.

Sometimes it is a real stretch to hold off washings to every other day, and another way that I manage is by doing scalp-only washings (put hair in loose ponytail with the last loop pulled halfway through, and wash your scalp under a faucet).

I hope this helps! It's not a bad habit, some of us are just more oily!

vampyyri
June 27th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I have a feeling lapushka is going to be coming in here basically saying the same thing, but here are the links to the official thread for these methods:

CWC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421&highlight=official+CWC)

WCC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119314)

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 02:38 PM
I think I sort of did the scc yesterday.actually it was shampoo twice and conditioned at same time onece because I used shampoo then a two in one on all hair because it was uber waxy feeling. Then shampooed my roots and conditioned the lenght. It feels okayish I have lots of damage and split ends so yeah

vampyyri
June 27th, 2016, 02:45 PM
I think I sort of did the scc yesterday.actually it was shampoo twice and conditioned at same time onece because I used shampoo then a two in one on all hair because it was uber waxy feeling. Then shampooed my roots and conditioned the lenght. It feels okayish I have lots of damage and split ends so yeah

Have you tried using a clarifying shampoo? Waxy buildup is usually from excessive sebum or silicones. A good reset with a clarifying shampoo usually takes care of any stuff on your hair when it starts to feel icky.

As for damage and splits... may I recommend SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) to restore moisture?

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I kind d of just use what ever I can afford money is extra tight. Like I live on someone's couch and can nearly afford to pay my phone monthly and have food and shampoo and other hygiene products

vampyyri
June 27th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I kind d of just use what ever I can afford money is extra tight. Like I live on someone's couch and can nearly afford to pay my phone monthly and have food and shampoo and other hygiene products

Even a standard sulfate shampoo would do the trick, there's no need to buy anything expensive for your hair. A lot of us on here thrive on V05 and Suave products believe it or not.

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 02:52 PM
I just use what I can afford. I want to use a shampoo bar though

lapushka
June 27th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Thanks V, for pointing the OP in the right direction! :D

Washing daily isn't necessarily a bad thing! You could try out milder shampoos if you currently are using a sulfate shampoo and you think it's too harsh. Maybe a sulfate-mild one or sulfate-free one wouldn't be bad.

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 03:12 PM
what brand's would y'all sugest.... Currently I have some mane and tail condish pretty sure that is what made the waxy feeling happen.

cailinbee
June 27th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I've toyed with different wash methods but I always come back to daily shampoo. I'm fine and oily, it's just how it is! I compensate by occasionally going on stints of every-other-day CO or water-only, when my lifestyle permits.

These are a few ways I compensate for "shampoo damage" when I'm on full-shampoo routines:

Other users have mentioned it -- Definitely give "every other day alternative" washing a shot! Shampoo normally one day, do conditioner only the next, things like that.

Another thing is to try a little less shampoo and mechanical scrubbing than you think you need. What I mean by that is, for instance, if you use quarter-sized amounts of shampoo, try dime-size, and use your fingertips to focus the suds on your scalp and not on the length; rather than squishing, squeezing, and scratching with fingers to wash. Treat your hair really gently in general while you wash. I don't have curly hair, but I still use a really wide-toothed shower comb to gently separate my hair while I wash it; this reduces mechanical damage from detangling post-shower.

All of this is just for brainstorming -- not trying to presume you're not already very gentle with your hair! I totally feel you on the need to wash daily -- grease feels gross!

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Thinking of getting wide tooth comb and a bbb. Hoping that helps.

spidermom
June 27th, 2016, 04:42 PM
A caution about CWC: you don't want to have shampoo and conditioner on your hair at the same time because one of them has a negative ionic charge and the other one has a positive ionic charge. This makes the molecules cling together so that they are difficult to fully rinse out. It can result in hair that behaves like Velcro.

meteor
June 27th, 2016, 04:43 PM
The things that helped me stretch washes the most were:

- Wearing hair up as much as possible and not touching hair much, minimal manipulation.

- Scalp-Only washes in between full washes: washing scalp or just the hairline while the length is bunned/braided and covered with a plastic cap.

- Stretching only very slowly (in case of daily washing, I'd try to stretch by just half a day first) and listening to scalp. If it itches, definitely wash, even if just with water or very diluted shampoo.

- Using relatively "harsh" SLS/SLES or ALS/ALES shampoos. This is very YMMV, obviously. Some people do better with CO-washes or CWC or very mild shampoos, but for me, more clarifying rather than conditioning formulas allow me to stretch washes more.

LongCurlyTress
June 27th, 2016, 04:47 PM
I am kind of a rebel on these LHC threads since I do wash my hair everyday, however the shampoo is super-diluted with water...Then I use gobs of conditioner for shower detangling with a comb or vented brush. I try not to use heat on my hair in the hotter months, but in the winter, I need to dry my scalp hair with a warm-hot hairdryer or my head gets too cold. I try to not dry the length though.

Just don't use shampoo with sulfates and you will be fine. ;)

akuamoonmaui
June 27th, 2016, 04:51 PM
I was going to suggest watering down your shampoo, too. It still does the job, but doesn't strip the hair.

diddiedaisy
June 27th, 2016, 05:03 PM
I wash my hair every day. I only use a tiny bit of shampoo though. I sometimes leave the shampoo out and just condition, but I have a habit of sticking something on my scalp and/or hair overnight, so it generally does need a shampoo. As long as you keep it well moisturised you should be fine. If you can't afford additional products I find the best way to keep my hair from drying out over the course of a day is to twist it up, tuck it and put it all in a claw clip, with none hanging out. When you take it out at the end of the day you hair feels and smells like it did when freshly washed 12+ hours previously. It's also protective if you've got damaged or fragile hair.

Andthetalltrees
June 27th, 2016, 05:27 PM
I first grew my hair out 'super' long(TBL+ probably closer to classic) washing every other day/everyday with SLS shampoos, no conditioner, Using a ball tipped brush on wet hair, pin curling it almost everyday and leaving it down all the time, My hair was still in great shape, Hardly any split ends(When I chopped it off the hair stylist remarked how nice it was!) and it worked for me.

Then when I got 'interested' in growing my hair again I started experimenting with everything, SLS-free, Oils, Conditioners, Silicone, No 'cones, Wearing it up 24-7, Combing only, Washing once a week, Twice a week ect, ect and I just got tired of all of it. Nothing really seemed to even make much of a difference, My scalp was oft itchy but I felt it was 'wrong' to wash more, Or wear my hair down because I prefer it that way. I felt overwhlemed

This time around I'm trying to go back to the attitude of 'do what works'. Only reason I'm even SLS-free and 'Cone-free is by complete accident, But it works so whatever

Long story short, If you want to wash everyday, Go ahead if it works for you and don't worry about what works for other people. You can probably grow your hair as long as you want to washing it whenever you like and it'll be fine.

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks I was a little over whelmed with all the diffrent things to do.

patienceneeded
June 27th, 2016, 09:21 PM
There is no "right" number of times to wash and condition your hair, nor are there any correct products or methods. You will need to find what works for you and your scalp, your job, your budget. There are lots of super inexpensive products that people on this board LOVE, and just as many people who splurge on expensive stuff.

Me? I wash every day, but my hair is short and looks stupid unless I wash and style it. When it was hip length, I washed my hair every 2-3 days, but I work in a school and don't have a job where smells and grease could cling to my hair and skin. I had long hair in high school and worked in a kitchen...you can bet I showered and washed my hair daily then! I felt gross otherwise. Once again, you need to do what is right for YOU and not worry about what everyone online says is correct or best.

I use normal shampoo (yes, with sulfates) and conditioner (yes, with cones). I experimented with lots of products and methods, but whet back to simple wash and condition with normal stuff you can find at most stores. Nothing too fancy. I basically buy what smells good to me...:D

Please, don't worry or obsess too much. It takes all the fun out of growing out your hair! Do what is right for you!

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Got this set from sallys it is a sample pack of diffrent condiomers and shampoos and a few masks to repair hair hoping it works the will figure out what to use on a consostant based. It was five dollars also got a wet brush.... Waited till hair was mostly dry. Its amayzing also did 100. Strokes soon bed. Hair feels lovely.. Just need to find a oil probly gonna use baby oil though