PDA

View Full Version : fairy tail ends

timeschild
June 26th, 2016, 06:15 PM
How long does it take to have your hair grow into them

spidermom
June 26th, 2016, 08:24 PM
It varies. I can grow my hair for a year without trimming, and I don't get fairy tale ends in that time. I've never gone longer than that. Other people get them much faster. Just don't trim and let your hair do its thing.

Decoy24601
June 26th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I haven't gotten fairytale ends yet. If it wasn't for my layers, my ends would still be very blunt and thick at TBL. I didn't trim my hair for a year and that trim was less than 1/2 an inch off my ends. I will most likely make it to classic without them and I could probably go longer (I never have before though). I think it just depends on the person.

Curly276mom
June 26th, 2016, 10:21 PM
I have fairy tale ends between apl and bsl, but I also have had two major post pardum sheds in that length. I kind of like them for bunning, but I'm eagerly waiting for my regrowth to work it's way through the length. Assuming 5 " per year, about 2 years left to go.

timeschild
June 26th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Also not sure what I have... Could anyone take a look at my profile pic and tell me? I am a noob and very unsure.

Silverbrumby
June 26th, 2016, 11:40 PM
I start getting them at APL. I feel it depends on the terminal. I see these happening when your approaching that.

Decoy24601
June 26th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Also not sure what I have... Could anyone take a look at my profile pic and tell me? I am a noob and very unsure.

Your ends look like they might just be uneven from growing out your hair. It's hard to tell since the picture is so small, but they don't look thin, just uneven if anything at all.

nekosan
June 26th, 2016, 11:47 PM
I agree that they seem to be an "approaching terminal" (or "false terminal" or "maximal for your current hair care routine"). For me, about 5-6 years.

timeschild
June 26th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Your ends look like they might just be uneven from growing out your hair. It's hard to tell since the picture is so small, but they don't look thin, just uneven if anything at all.

Thanks yeah my ex sis in law was who used to cut my hair.... She was disabled and Yeah shouldnt have trusted her obviouly...

MINAKO
June 27th, 2016, 02:35 AM
Mine started to after almost two years of not really trimming but i got rid of them again as they kind of make my hair flow in a weird way. They weren't super tangly but kinda sticking together and felt a bit dead and rough, so not working for me.

Manuela L88
June 27th, 2016, 03:16 AM
How do you know that you have them?

browneyedsusan
June 27th, 2016, 06:21 AM
I think it depends on your growth rate and where your terminal length is.

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 07:53 AM
I agree that they seem to be an "approaching terminal" (or "false terminal" or "maximal for your current hair care routine"). For me, about 5-6 years.

I yikes doesn't that mean no more growth.....? How can I fix that

lapushka
June 27th, 2016, 07:55 AM

I agree with all that! Just uneven, IMMHO. Those aren't fairytale ends!

MidnightMoon
June 27th, 2016, 08:15 AM
I cant really tell...
My hair is definitely less in the ends than at my nape, but when its brushed it becomes fluffy and frizzy and lays in a strange way, which makes it difficult to spot a gradual decrease. I am used to an "A" shaped hair, where what is close to my head is flatter and more moisturised, and the ends fluffed up, more dry.
The only time I can spor fairytale ends is when I dont comb or brush. Only then will the strands stick to each other, in clumps, and make the decrease in hair noticeable. I dont cut my hair often. I have a picture where they are visible and I hadnt trimmed in about a year. I am growing back from a huge chop now. Its been a year and a half and I can make it look a bit fairytaled but not as much as in that previous picture. Id say in two years, as my hair approaches what I believe is closer to my terminal it will be easier to spot.

tl;dr Depends on how it dries, if I comb or not, and how close it is to where my hair naturally starts decreasing in considerable amounts.

Wildcat Diva
June 27th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I think you must consider a factor of how new this length is to you and also how far away it is from your head. Once you have had a certain length for years, all the shorter hairs shed out and starting over for years have had a chance to start growing again and catch up, so it's thicker there. As an adult, I had never had waist length hair before a couple of years ago. It may take several more years before my hair is as thick as it is going to ever be at waist. Now I am growing on, not cutting anything past hip. It will take several more years before my hair will be as thick as it is ever going to be at hip, and consider that the hairs have longer to grow to get down there. New hairs that replace the ones I shed last month have a long way to go to get back to hip. So as I grow on now, I am more prone to a fairy tale look than my growing counterparts who have been at hip or longer (with hair well cared for) for five years already.

nekosan
June 27th, 2016, 12:03 PM
I yikes doesn't that mean no more growth.....? How can I fix that

Try different things to take better care of your hair?

My hair is both thin and fine, so there's a limit to how much length i can get. It's just the way it is. *shrug*

Here's a recent pic of my hair. "Fairy tail" sounds so much nicer than "scraggledy". The sun and breeze are really showing off all the different lenghts.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23510&d=1465869164

I love the look of a blunt hemline, but i also love having maximal length. Choices!

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Thanks y'all I hope my questions are not too annoying first time to decide to grow. Last time I had long hair it was when I was like seven. Might have been tail bone lenght I don't have many memories. Hair got cut to BSL or so my step Mom claimed it was because it was all dead ends. I have gotten shorter since with periods of Apl in between.Needless to say I have so many questions

Shepherdess
June 27th, 2016, 12:36 PM
My fairytale ends always start when I grow past classic to mid-thigh it seems. Up until tailbone-classic I can maintain a fairly thick hemline.

Anje
June 27th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Mine seem to start doing it around hip length, though that has moved downward a bit through the years. I suspect it frequently has more to do with length than time since the last trim.

littlestarface
June 27th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Thanks y'all I hope my questions are not too annoying first time to decide to grow. Last time I had long hair it was when I was like seven. Might have been tail bone lenght I don't have many memories. Hair got cut to BSL or so my step Mom claimed it was because it was all dead ends. I have gotten shorter since with periods of Apl in between.Needless to say I have so many questions

With hair you just have to let it do it's own thing and grow, then you can see all your hair has to offer, of course while taking good care of it.

I let mine grow all it wanted no cuts no trims and I got pretty long, upper calf length but I had so much fairy tale ends it didn't even look good, looked scraggly and oh so thin compared to the rest of my hair so then I cut back up to finger length and it still doesn't look good but it's all i'm willing to compromise right now.

lapushka
June 27th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I have my hair layered, so it doesn't have a natural taper but rather a fake fairytale hem. When in the ponytail for cutting, it is always very blunt and even, so I'm not concerned by that at all.

Is it layered by any chance?

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 02:32 PM
I have my hair layered, so it doesn't have a natural taper but rather a fake fairytale hem. When in the ponytail for cutting, it is always very blunt and even, so I'm not concerned by that at all.

Is it layered by any chance?

Not sure if you mean me or so one else... Incase it's me I am not sure my ex sil cut my hair and as it grows out I am finding she did a bad job. Feeling like I should lety hair keep growing untill it stops and let no one touch it. But the uneveness is going to bother me.

lapushka
June 27th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Not sure if you mean me or so one else... Incase it's me I am not sure my ex sil cut my hair and as it grows out I am finding she did a bad job. Feeling like I should lety hair keep growing untill it stops and let no one touch it. But the uneveness is going to bother me.

Yes, I asked you! :D

I don't think it looks that bad or uneven in the picture (as far as I can tell, the picture is tiny). Just let it grow! :flower:

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Ahh well if it doesn't look to bad yay.. I could be just feeling some hate to her.... Becuase of her I live on my managers couch... The crazy woman bit me for asking for a ride to my job and literally took my whole check Every time I got paied complained I bathed complained when I didn't complained my cloths stunk then complained when I washed them.

cailinbee
June 27th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Do you have fine hair? Is it damaged? If so it'll probably fairy tale faster than others. Mine is both and I usually notice fairy tale-ing as early as two months after a trim (although at shoulder length it doesn't really look fairy tale, more like scraggly on me!) I think it tends to be a hair type + length proportion thing.

You could wait until it would look good and have a few layers put into your hair by someone you really trust, although that's a scary thing to suggest here since a lot of people (myself included) are very wary of stylists! :)

Best of luck! I'm going for fairy tale in the end as well; it's the "natural" look for my typing, hehe.

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Its both fine and damaged and wavy

Betazed
June 27th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I'm at hip and no sign of fairytale land for me. But I'm still microtrimming so we'll see what happens when I've grown out the last little bit of layers and heat-damage I have left. I figure by next Spring I should be able to just let it do it's own thing and put the scissors away.

By the way, does anyone know where the name "fairytale ends" came from? Is there some witty pun that I'm just not getting? :confused:

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 04:13 PM
To be honest I just want my hair to look like I am a forest nyph or some fairy. Or like a Celtic goddess if that makes sence

cathair
June 27th, 2016, 04:54 PM
I'm not convinced about fairy tails happening only near terminal, perhaps that's one cause. Mine were fairy tailed by waist, probably before. I'm past classic now.

cathair
June 27th, 2016, 04:55 PM
To be honest I just want my hair to look like I am a forest nyph or some fairy. Or like a Celtic goddess if that makes sence

It will and most of that will come from not doing anything to it and time :) Just be patient.

Wildcat Diva
June 27th, 2016, 05:21 PM

Have you seen the fairytale end picture thread?

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 06:06 PM
Have you seen the fairytale end picture thread?

Yeah but onlynspme of the pics showed up for me