PDA

View Full Version : Drying hair in humidity

Ailurophile
June 25th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Hello!

I air dry my hair, I really, really, really dislike blow drying my hair and I try to avoid it at all costs! I stopped blow drying my hair around December and have never had a problem, but now as the weather is getting warmer - and more humid - my hair is taking longer to dry. My hair usually takes around an hour to air dry after having it in a turban for about an hour, in humidity my hair has been taking over 4 hours to dry and then it is still damp!! This hasn't been a major problem quite recently because the weather has gotten colder, but as we move into the warmer summer months I would really like some tips on how to speed up the air-drying process of my hair?:confused:

Cg
June 25th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Hello!

I air dry my hair, I really, really, really dislike blow drying my hair and I try to avoid it at all costs! I stopped blow drying my hair around December and have never had a problem, but now as the weather is getting warmer - and more humid - my hair is taking longer to dry. My hair usually takes around an hour to air dry after having it in a turban for about an hour, in humidity my hair has been taking over 4 hours to dry and then it is still damp!! This hasn't been a major problem quite recently because the weather has gotten colder, but as we move into the warmer summer months I would really like some tips on how to speed up the air-drying process of my hair?:confused:

I use two turbans: a Turbie Twist to soak the excess water into, for about 2 minutes, then the microfiber one for 15 or so minutes. Longer than that is not useful. You can air for a while and then cool blow, or cool blow first and then air dry. Or stay within the path of a fan's moving air. With high humidity I find some air movement necessary.

lapushka
June 25th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I have a t-shirt towel on my head for 30-45 min. and then I airdry for 2-4H, depending. Then all that needs to happen is diffusing for 4/5 min., and that's all it takes to get the roots fully dry (I will still have dampish ends but that's OK).

I wish my hair dried in an hour!

Maybe go through with a blowdryer on cool/warm. It's perfectly fine to do so.

lithostoic
June 25th, 2016, 06:06 PM
I flip my head around to increase airflow. Not like headbanging or anything, just gently tousling it with my head tilted in different directions. I live in an environment that's extremely humid so I feel your pain!

Wildcat Diva
June 26th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Sit by a fan on low for a bit.

Tosca
June 26th, 2016, 06:17 AM
Or try combing it in front of a fan

Anya15
June 26th, 2016, 06:57 AM
When it's not humid, my hair takes 4 h to air dry *lol*

And now that it's humid, it takes 6 hours....

Tosca
June 26th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Oh man, wash it before bed and sleep with it damp

I do that and my hair is almost always dry by morning

MariaPon
June 26th, 2016, 07:51 AM
What I do is exactly what Tosca said- wash hair before bed and go to sleep with it damp and loose. Works wonders and I don't wake up with poofy hair :)

Tosca
June 26th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Though maybe put a small towel on your pillow so it doesn't get wet

DweamGoiL
June 26th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I usually wash a couple of hrs before bed and wear a turban for the first 15-20 minutes. After that, I sit by a fan with my hair fanned out. While it's still damp to the touch (or an hour or two after fanning), but not really wet, I then put it up in a loose pineapple with a Loc Sock around it and go to bed. I make sure the hair is draped over the pillow and on top of my head. In the morning it's dry and has lot of body and no frizz.

Ailurophile
June 26th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I use two turbans: a Turbie Twist to soak the excess water into, for about 2 minutes, then the microfiber one for 15 or so minutes. Longer than that is not useful. You can air for a while and then cool blow, or cool blow first and then air dry. Or stay within the path of a fan's moving air. With high humidity I find some air movement necessary.
I'll keep my hair up for shorter time then! Maybe I should just sit infront of a fan ;)

I have a t-shirt towel on my head for 30-45 min. and then I airdry for 2-4H, depending. Then all that needs to happen is diffusing for 4/5 min., and that's all it takes to get the roots fully dry (I will still have dampish ends but that's OK).

I wish my hair dried in an hour!

Maybe go through with a blowdryer on cool/warm. It's perfectly fine to do so.
How do you use a t-shirt towel? My hair is on the thin side, and an hour is when it's in a good mood ;)

I flip my head around to increase airflow. Not like headbanging or anything, just gently tousling it with my head tilted in different directions. I live in an environment that's extremely humid so I feel your pain!
I found that if i am moving around a lot it seems to dry quicker! That'd be very tough, it very rarely gets humid where I live!

Damn!!

Oh man, wash it before bed and sleep with it damp

I do that and my hair is almost always dry by morning
I was thinking, if the humidity keeps up, I might have to switch to sleeping on it wet! I do prefer to sleep with it up though, so might be a problem.

I usually wash a couple of hrs before bed and wear a turban for the first 15-20 minutes. After that, I sit by a fan with my hair fanned out. While it's still damp to the touch (or an hour or two after fanning), but not really wet, I then put it up in a loose pineapple with a Loc Sock around it and go to bed. I make sure the hair is draped over the pillow and on top of my head. In the morning it's dry and has lot of body and no frizz.
Sounds like a good way to dry. :)

pili
June 26th, 2016, 12:10 PM

Yup. When I lived in FL it was more like 8 hours.

Complexity
June 26th, 2016, 02:34 PM
My hair takes almost a full day to dry (and that's with a tshirt on it for the first hour or so), so I'm no help here. I do find that sitting out in the sun on a windy day helps quite a bit, though.

Nadine <3
June 26th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Sit in front of a fan. If it's sunny outside, going out in the sun can speed up drying. Combing it helps too, but I generally try to avoid this because my waves are wild enough when it gets humid lol

lapushka
June 26th, 2016, 03:56 PM
How do you use a t-shirt towel? My hair is on the thin side, and an hour is when it's in a good mood ;)

Take a man's t-shirt with a round neck, sew the bottom shut, then pull the neck over your head and let your hair drop down in the "sack". Voilą. Bring the sack to the back of your head, and knot the sleeves over the back. Done! The good thing about a "sack" like this is, it doesn't matter how long your hair is, and you'll have something very light on your head instead of a big bulky towel.

I have the "curly tee towel", but my mom made me cheaper alternatives (like I described).

Curly tee towel:
http://www.curlytee.com/