PDA

View Full Version : Brushing! Who knew?

missmagoo
June 25th, 2016, 09:08 AM
I never really brushed my hair other than detangling in the shower because I'm wavy. However I recent got a wild hair (bad pun, sorry) and started daily evening brushing with a BBB. Holy cow, my hair looks great! I feel a little stupid for not realizing sooner there was probably a reason people brush their hair. I'm a little worried though about potential mechanical damage. Anyone experience this? It's also been great for stretching washes, I'm now able to go 5-6 days as opposed to 3-4

vampyyri
June 25th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Over-brushing definitely gave me some mechanical damage, so I would be careful, just don't overdo it! Also if you brush too much you can lose the wave altogether and end up with a poofy mess, but it really is YMMV.

lapushka
June 25th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Over-brushing definitely gave me some mechanical damage, so I would be careful, just don't overdo it! Also if you brush too much you can lose the wave altogether and end up with a poofy mess, but it really is YMMV.

Same experience for me. That is why I ditched my BBB (plus I got *more* oily faster, the more I brushed and manipulated the roots). Mechanical wear is a thing and can happen from overbrushing, and if you have wavy hair: poof. :)

lithostoic
June 25th, 2016, 09:52 AM
My BBB is now a cat brush bc I noticed increased shedding and frizz.

vampyyri
June 25th, 2016, 10:03 AM
My BBB is now a cat brush bc I noticed increased shedding and frizz.

That's exactly what my BBB became too! My cat loves it!

spidermom
June 25th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Ditto on mechanical damage. I still BBB occasionally before I wash my hair just to be sure all the oils are well distributed and my hair is completely untangled.

school of fish
June 25th, 2016, 10:24 AM
It took me 4 months to recognize the damage I was incurring from my daily bbb sessions - for some reason I thought the hair collecting in the bristles was the result of efficient shed-collection, not broken strands. When I finally made the connection between the hair in the brush and my growing canopy halo I found another option ;)

The tangle teezer, real as well as knockoff, has taken over and solved the problem for me.

I certainly am not implying that a bbb is a breakage hazard for everyone!! Many use them with beautiful results and no damage issues - my particular hair is just too delicate for it, that's all :)

Deborah
June 25th, 2016, 10:39 AM
I have always brushed my hair at least morning and evening, and have no mechanical damage. I think it depends on your hair. I could never go comb only.

missmagoo
June 25th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Hmmm. Good to know. I live in a really dry climate, and at this length, my waves are already pulled out by day two post wash. I am kind of worried about the mechanical damage though.

Entangled
June 25th, 2016, 03:58 PM
You know, I'd really like to see what science has to say about BBBs. I know many have send them to great success (Heidi w. And Madora come to mind). I know they were popular around a hundred years ago, a time hen it was possible to find super long hair. Gorge Michael was a huge supporter of BBBs, but I don't think his claims can stand up to science (his theories on bangs, for example). He said that since it's like on like, if you've detangled properly before, damage will be minimal. Here we focus more on YMMV, and BBBs don't work for every one. But, I would like to see what actual science has to say regarding friction with BBBs and whether they do move oils down the shaft (I never saw that during my BBB phase.) I'm glad things have been working for you! I'd say keep going if you don't notice breakage.

littlestarface
June 25th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Hmmm. Good to know. I live in a really dry climate, and at this length, my waves are already pulled out by day two post wash. I am kind of worried about the mechanical damage though.

Just wanted to say your siggy pic is really pretty. Is it brushed here?

Complexity
June 25th, 2016, 04:12 PM
If you like the results you're getting from the BBB and you enjoy being able to stretch washes, I'd say keep up with it but just keep an eye on your hair's overall look/feel. Best case scenario your hair and scalp love the extra manipulation, worst case you should catch it before any serious damage is incurred.

I myself have been playing with the idea of getting one just to use for special occasions and the occasional 'me day'. Right now I'm only finger detangling, but I wonder if - like you - my hair could actually benefit from a little extra 'something' every once in a while.