PDA

View Full Version : What is 1C, What is 1C/2A?(Another hair typing conundrum)

Andthetalltrees
June 24th, 2016, 10:29 PM
I feel like my hair is an enigma. It's not really straight, but it's definitely not wavy either. It just sorta exists in a nowhere dimension(Can I claim 1D? 2NegativeA?). It forms defined clumps, But it all straight except the bottom half flips out every which way without being a true shape. I thought for a while my hair was truly wavy so I tried all different methods to encourage something but it always ends up looking the same, Like very fluffy straight hair :confused:. I have a few very stretched S waves, Mostly one at my nape that decided it's going to live it's life as a rebel and be a true wave. and I have some strands of hair that are weirdly kinky and look almost Z shaped when I look at them alone, But there's not enough of those to really cause a difference, They're just there being weird.
I wish my hair would've chose to be either completely straight or wavy. It does wave/curl and straighten very easily though so maybe I got the best of both worlds?
I would post a picture, But I'm not really comfortable putting pictures on a public forum.

littlestarface
June 24th, 2016, 10:35 PM
I feel like my hair is an enigma. It's not really straight, but it's definitely not wavy either. It just sorta exists in a nowhere dimension(Can I claim 1D? 2NegativeA?). It forms defined clumps, But it all straight except the bottom half flips out every which way without being a true shape. I thought for a while my hair was truly wavy so I tried all different methods to encourage something but it always ends up looking the same, Like very fluffy straight hair :confused:. I have a few very stretched S waves, Mostly one at my nape that decided it's going to live it's life as a rebel and be a true wave. and I have some strands of hair that are weirdly kinky and look almost Z shaped when I look at them alone, But there's not enough of those to really cause a difference, They're just there being weird.
I wish my hair would've chose to be either completely straight or wavy. It does wave/curl and straighten very easily though so maybe I got the best of both worlds?
I would post a picture, But I'm not really comfortable putting pictures on a public forum.
Looooool

I always said the same thing, I wish my hair would either pick between being straight or wavy, I have the most dumbest hair. It goes straight wavy straight, like it can't make up it's mind *smack* Sometimes I get a wurl here n there :rolleyes:

Betazed
June 25th, 2016, 12:00 AM
I can definitely feel you on the undecided hair! The top half of mine is pin straight, while the under half is wavy. It makes hair typing very difficult. I've tried various methods to get it all to wave (after years of flat ironing to make it all straight), and it may look good for about 30 minutes then the top straightens itself out. I don't have any advice so I'll just commiserate with you. :grouphug:

Caraid♫
June 25th, 2016, 05:04 AM
This is totally my hair type! If I spend a olt of time brushing it out it'll go quite sleek and smooth, otherwise it's very vaguely wavy, more like just... puffy? And if I have it up all day and take it down, it just explodes into a ball of kinky puffyness!
It used to annoy me, but I kind of like how the texture changes based on how I brush it that day and other random factors. It's nice that this hairtype adds some volume and the illusion of thickness too. And you're right about it being the best of both worlds- it's very easy to straighten it out and it also holds curl! Embrace it!:D

lapushka
June 25th, 2016, 06:52 AM
1c is more a "body wave". When you step into 2 territory it's more stringy waves, like every strand individually has a wave to it. In 1c the wave is over the whole of the head. That's the difference.

Anya15
June 25th, 2016, 06:56 AM
I recall Anje saying something similar about her hair, if I remember correctly.

school of fish
June 25th, 2016, 07:24 AM
There are all kinds of us who defy the neat boxes of the typing system ;)

I've typed my hair at 1a/1b, partly because that's how it appears to the outside world and partly because the forum typing options don't allow me to list what it actually is - 1a AND 2b :)

My canopy and ends from about shoulder to hem are pin-straight 1a. Since my 2nd child my underlayer from roots to shoulderish has grown in a TENACIOUS 2b - exactly like tight s-curve braid waves and they do not brush out or blowdry out... they have planted their flag and claimed their territory. But because the canopy is so straight overtop the overall effect is straight, not wavy. Actually what it often looks like is that I've done a bad job flat-ironing my hair and missed a whole section :p

I have found that my hair looks better when I *don't* do the classic 'bring out the wave' stuff - that just makes it look unkempt. This may change over time though, as the wavy section grows and takes over the length - I'll see in time if a retyping is in order. So in the meantime I'm sticking with the 1a/1b classification to reflect how the majority of my hair appears :)

One of the recent threads here involves a member whose overall pattern is somewhere in the loose-to-medium 2 range but her individual strands appear to be a very stretched-out kinky 4! How does one type that? ;)

I really feel the typing system is a guideline, not a strict set of rules. Its value is in helping us connect with other people who may have similar hair issues and solutions, but that said I've found an awful lot of useful tips for myself from people in the 4s... so again, more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule :)

Btw 2negativeA made me gigglesnort! I think that's a great classification and communicates pretty clearly what you've got going on!! :)

vampyyri
June 25th, 2016, 09:18 AM
I feel you with the in-between thing. It all depends on how I treat my hair that day. Sometimes it's a solid 1c, most of the time 1c/2a, and other days a solid 2a with some 2b mixed in. Confused wavy hair seems to be a common thing :lol:

hayheadsbird
June 25th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Totally get it! The back of my head wants to be a 2a/b. The canopy and front is a pretty firm 1b. Overall effect when hair typing from the back is a 1c. If I wore a half up, or you typed from the front...

Andthetalltrees
June 25th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Sorry for the bad webcam picture but my real camera wont export pictures today(:rolleyes:) I decided to do the true hair typing test. Washed my hair and let it dry completely un touched(Not even finger combed) and I'm surprised how it looks. This is the left side that has more oomph to it, You can kind of see how the back is straighter. As soon as I finger combed my hair after this picture it all went away and back to just being straight-fluffy
http://i64.tinypic.com/2li76lc.jpg

lapushka
June 25th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Looks a bit too short for true hair typing. I'm sorry. :( This is because waves need length to fully form. From the looks of it though, I'd say 2a/b for sure, but you'd best post this again when you're about APL or so. :flower:

Andthetalltrees
June 25th, 2016, 01:56 PM
This is my hair a second later after detangling
http://i63.tinypic.com/11k82vq.jpg

Interesting to know there's lots of us in this weird 1-2 continuum. We should form our own group with our temperamental hair types haha

lapushka
June 25th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Yeah, that's why we have rules for "true" hair typing. If I were to brush my waves out, I'd have stick straight (poofy) hair as well. I think that goes for most wavy hair.

spidermom
June 25th, 2016, 02:44 PM
The first picture looked most like 2A to me, but lapushka is right. You need more length for a more accurate hair typing. Short my hair is bushy, but as it gets longer, it clumps into stretched-out waves and the occasional spiral curl.

DoomKitty
June 25th, 2016, 11:02 PM
My hair does the same, nice tight waves in the back and looser ones in the front and sides after washing that all fall out over time so I end up with volume and flicky ends lol

lithostoic
June 26th, 2016, 08:56 AM
So far it looks 2a to me but we'll see as it gets longer c: