PDA

View Full Version : Curly experiment success-- thought I'd share

Elyse
June 24th, 2016, 09:45 AM
So, upon the the advice of several of you members here, I took the information you shared with me and put it to use in order to maximize my curly hair. Now then: I don't quite have all the correct products for my hair, but I tried the method and I personally can see a difference. But I had to use what I had on hand. I thought I would post a before and after, as well as what I experimented doing. Perhaps it will be helpful for those who are also trying to figure out how to deal with their curly hair. I'm also very open to suggestions if you want to give them regarding what I did, however that is not the purpose of this thread and you don't have to give them if you don't want that to.

Products used: shea moisture shampoo and conditioner (the restoring moisture one)
olive oil
herbal essences volumizing mousse (strong hold)

in short, I tried a variation of the LOC method using Shea moisture conditioner as my Leave in, olive oil as my oil, and the herbal essence is as my holding agent simply because I didn't have any other sort of cream. Here are my results. The top picture is just me air dry and my curls with a little bit of hairspray in it was sulfate shampoo and conditioner probably with silicones. The second picture is the above method. And, as I said, I see a difference personally but it could be wishful thinking.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii110/KM_Art/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/KM_Art/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpg.html)

Pearly~91
June 24th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I think there's a big difference!

I'm curious, did it dry crunchy or soft?

It's good to know that you can have good results without having to go buy a dozen new products. Maybe you can make do with what you have and just get one new product at a time.

lapushka
June 24th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Nice! I hope it gets even better when you get some special products for your hair.

pili
June 24th, 2016, 10:40 AM
That is a big difference! I know my hair was changed for the better when I found CG and it's gotten even healthier on LCO.

xbanannax
June 24th, 2016, 10:47 AM
I see a difference! Definitely more curly. Do you plan on trying other holding agents, i.e., gel, curl cream, etc, in the future? If so, what are you going to try next?

littlestarface
June 24th, 2016, 10:49 AM
It is way more curly. Heck I think you can make it even simpler by cutting out shampoo and just using conditioner and it can be a cheapie one too.

school of fish
June 24th, 2016, 11:12 AM
That is not wishful thinking - that is definitely curlier and more defined! Looks beautiful! Wishing you ongoing success as you continue to refine your routine :D

Elyse
June 24th, 2016, 11:30 AM
pearly-- it dried crunchy, which I'm not a big fan of. I don't care for the crunchy, but I'm also not
Sure it will hold if it dries soft. My hair type enjoys a good curl, but only for a while before it tends to get tired and relax.

Xbanannax-- I absolutely would love to try other holding agents. Particularly, I would like something that dries soft but has excellent hold. I've used gel, hairspray, and mousse in the past. They tend to dry crispy on me and have no movement. Curl creams peak my interest, but I'm skeptical of their holding power--largely due to my lack of education on the thing. I've sniffed around on this site as well as others looking for the "best" but it seems to be (as expected) highly personalized and tailored to the individual regarding "best products". I'm open to hearing from other curlies on this matter--particularly 2c/3a types with volume issues at the root and curl endurance issues.

Littlestarface-- I'd love to move to and all CO approach. I oiled my hair the night before
And was a little afraid of how it would come out solely with CO. I did only shampoo my scalp, however. Since shea is a little pricey, I may just finish out the shampoo. But at this rate, it'll last me a thousand years. I probably wash 2-3 times a week, scalp only, with minimal shampoo. (And usually always followed by an oiling.)

To all the well wishers, thanks for the encouragement!

lapushka
June 24th, 2016, 11:38 AM
If you notice more shedding when on sulfate-free or CO, then definitely go back to using regular shampoo. Shedding on CO, oil (on scalp), and even sulfate-free products is a thing, so do be careful. Try it one step at a time, and don't rush into things. ;)

Elyse
June 24th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Will do. It's hard to know at the moment and probably will be, though. I'm
Pregnant, so I don't shed right now. And when I have my baby here
In five weeks I'll shed like mad no matter what. :rolleyes:

It may be hard to know what's what.

littlestarface
June 24th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Oh you'll see that oil washes out easier with conditioner instead of shampoo. I drench my hair in oil and conditioner makes it cleaner and softer then shampoo does. But yea finish what you have first then buy more haha that's what I do buy and buy and buy even when we have enough :laugh: I always have to try something new:p

H o n є y ❤
June 24th, 2016, 12:41 PM
That is a huge difference!!!

lapushka
June 24th, 2016, 01:01 PM
It may be hard to know what's what.

Then I wouldn't switch to CO while post-partum. That's just what I would do, I guess.

Elyse
June 24th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Then I wouldn't switch to CO while post-partum. That's just what I would do, I guess.

Do you feel the same way about sulfate free shampoos coupled with conditioner? I already have my hair short in an attempt to rectify a debacle occurring in November, so I certainly don't want to do any further damage. I don't have really anything against sulfates; I could alternate.

lapushka
June 24th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Do you feel the same way about sulfate free shampoos coupled with conditioner? I already have my hair short in an attempt to rectify a debacle occurring in November, so I certainly don't want to do any further damage. I don't have really anything against sulfates; I could alternate.

The only things that have had multiple reported shedding incidents are for CO-washing and oil on the scalp, not so much sulfate-free shampoo, but personally, I shed more with sulfate-free. I guess now is the time to find out, before you give birth. If you're doing okay with the sulfate-free, then don't worry about it! :)

Elyse
July 4th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Update:

Since I've never had issues with oil on the scalp and shedding, I decided to give co washing a shot. This is only my
Third co wash, and I ditched the oil on my hair. It was a little heavy and just weighed down the curls. So-- I'm co washing, leave in conditioner, gel (la looks mega mega hold) and I diffuse. Here are the results based on what I used to do with curly hair and what I'm doing now:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii110/KM_Art/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/KM_Art/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpg.html)

Elyse
July 4th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Oh and also--co washing with garnier fructis pure conditioner and using the Shea moisture restorative conditioner as my leave in. Top is curly girl. Bottom is whatever I did before.

enting
July 4th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Oh wow, check out that curl definition!

ephemeri
July 4th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Update:

Since I've never had issues with oil on the scalp and shedding, I decided to give co washing a shot. This is only my
Third co wash, and I ditched the oil on my hair. It was a little heavy and just weighed down the curls. So-- I'm co washing, leave in conditioner, gel (la looks mega mega hold) and I diffuse. Here are the results based on what I used to do with curly hair and what I'm doing now:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii110/KM_Art/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/KM_Art/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpg.html)

Beautiful curls! That gel is my favorite gel. Looks like it worked for you!!

pili
July 4th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Update:

That's gorgeous!

mina01
July 4th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Your hair looks great! I think I need to go for curls as well :-)

Elyse
July 4th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. It's flattened a bit as the day has gone on which makes me a bit sad. My hair suffers from a flat top even with clipping it. I think at its best I'm settling around a 2c. It looks really curly starting and I have hope for 3a hair, but it always just settles.

For those of you with curls, do you find consistency in wearing hair curly over time strengthens your curl pattern? I'm only
Going on two weeks of strict curls only.

lapushka
July 4th, 2016, 01:23 PM
It looks great!!! :)

Yesterday, and even today when I woke up. I was amazed. I had some 2c/3a in my hair! At the very bottom of my hair!!! Lately I've been using the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie + gel (LA Looks) + serum and this combination is a winner where definition and hold is concerned! OMG. Just for this, I am even willing (penny pincher that I am) to rebuy that product (SM CES). Wooow. I still can't believe it! Anyway, I still have plenty more to use, that tub is huge and will last me a while.

enting
July 4th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Whenever I've straightened my hair in the past, it has taken a few washes to get my curl back to where it was before I straightened it. It may take a bit of time for the hair to train up curlier if it's meant to. I think your curlier pictures are 3a, but then again I've been second guessing my hairtype lately and that maybe it really is 2c and not 2c/3a, so I may not be the best judge of hairtype.

ephemeri
July 4th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. It's flattened a bit as the day has gone on which makes me a bit sad. My hair suffers from a flat top even with clipping it. I think at its best I'm settling around a 2c. It looks really curly starting and I have hope for 3a hair, but it always just settles.

For those of you with curls, do you find consistency in wearing hair curly over time strengthens your curl pattern? I'm only

I think curl pattern changes with an increase in the health of the hair and also with increases or decreases in length. My hair was barely wavy when it was pixie, 1c/2a. But as it got longer, it turned into 2c/3a. Now that I'm past shoulder, I've noticed my pattern has loosened a little. I plan to grow for a long time and I have a feeling I'm going to end up in 2b/2c territory when my hair reaches BSL and/or longer, simply because the weight of the hair can loosen the curls/waves. But I definitely got bouncier, more curly curls/waves the longer I did the CG method, I think because my hair was finally getting enough moisture!

Elyse
July 4th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Lapushka--- I've seen that curl enhancing smoothie and been enticed by it, but never committed to buying. However, If it works as well as what you're saying it makes me want to go buy some this moment. I'm trying to be content with whatever it is I have, but I would be extremely pleased if I can pull off 3 a hair consistently. Hopefully it's lurking there. One can dream...

As for the moisture issue, as soon as I started doing curly girl I could see a big difference in the formation of my curls and the frizz level and I do think it had to do with moisture. There's one YouTube channel called the polished curl that I have been following because she seems to have hair that works a lot like mine. She reviews a lot of products and stuff. But of you've been doing curly girl a while it may be all old info for yall.

lapushka
July 4th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Lapushka--- I've seen that curl enhancing smoothie and been enticed by it, but never committed to buying. However, If it works as well as what you're saying it makes me want to go buy some this moment. I'm trying to be content with whatever it is I have, but I would be extremely pleased if I can pull off 3 a hair consistently. Hopefully it's lurking there. One can dream...

As for the moisture issue, as soon as I started doing curly girl I could see a big difference in the formation of my curls and the frizz level and I do think it had to do with moisture. There's one YouTube channel called the polished curl that I have been following because she seems to have hair that works a lot like mine. She reviews a lot of products and stuff. But of you've been doing curly girl a while it may be all old info for yall.

Do make sure you adapt the amount to be used. :) Using too much can result in sticky hair for me, and when I run my hands over dry hair then, there will be a somewhat sticky residue left on my hands. Which is why I use a coinsize for my classic length and it's perfect! Use a tiny bit and try scrunching it in as your hair is still quite short and probably won't need that much. Which is good, very economical. ;) For the price. Wow that was a big bite out of my budget. :lol: But so totally worth it. Well YMMV. It might not work the same on you, but I hope so!

H o n є y ❤
July 4th, 2016, 04:16 PM
I would say that moisture and moisture retention enhances curl pattern.
IMO—wearing it curly more often probably doesn't necessarily enhance curl pattern overtime although it may seem that way if wearing your hair curly requires you to moisturize it more. Having a good moisture-protein balance also enhances curl definition.

ephemeri
July 4th, 2016, 05:47 PM

Oh I love the Polished Curl! I refer people to her squish to condish video all the time. She's great and her videos are so helpful. I also really like Rockyn Curls (https://www.youtube.com/user/RockynCurls/videos). She's got a lot of how-to videos and product reviews and her curls are awesome! :o

Elyse
July 4th, 2016, 08:15 PM
So every bit of my curl I was so pumped about fell out by the end of the day...

Frustrating.

lapushka
July 5th, 2016, 06:10 AM
Oh I love the Polished Curl! I refer people to her squish to condish video all the time. She's great and her videos are so helpful. I also really like Rockyn Curls (https://www.youtube.com/user/RockynCurls/videos). She's got a lot of how-to videos and product reviews and her curls are awesome! :o

Yeah, she almost comes close to my texture (with a little bit of wishful thinking :p), that's why I like her. Been subbed to her for a long time. Love her product reviews.

ephemeri
July 5th, 2016, 07:16 AM
So every bit of my curl I was so pumped about fell out by the end of the day...

Frustrating.

Happens to me too. :( It's worse when it's humid. I've found that semi-refreshing the curls halfway through the day helps. What I'll do is: flip my part to the other side! Simple but it helps. And I'll just scrunch throughout the day to lift them up again. Sometimes with a little oil, or just wet hands.

Elyse
July 5th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Happens to me too. :( It's worse when it's humid. I've found that semi-refreshing the curls halfway through the day helps. What I'll do is: flip my part to the other side! Simple but it helps. And I'll just scrunch throughout the day to lift them up again. Sometimes with a little oil, or just wet hands.

I tried to refresh them with a little conditioner water but I think that made it worse. I may just go back to straight water. I CANT WAIT until my hair GROWS OUT more so I can change my part without it flipping back over. Ugh. Curly short hair can be cute, but it's just not what I want. I'm not a very patient individual. Im just trying to focus on healthy hydrated hair and not worry about the length so much. Plus my second son is due in 3 weeks, so Im sure I'll be preoccupied soon by other things.

I was wondering this morning how humidity affected you 2b-3a ladies. I find I can predict the weather before I step outside. If my hair is flat and dead, it's dry. Humidity actually gives me spirals, which seems to be the opposite of what many curlies say. Ain't hair weird?

Elyse
July 5th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Yeah, she almost comes close to my texture (with a little bit of wishful thinking :p), that's why I like her. Been subbed to her for a long time. Love her product reviews.

The polished curl or rockyn curls?

lapushka
July 5th, 2016, 09:57 AM
The polished curl or rockyn curls?

TPC. I am subbed to RC too, though.

mindwiped
July 5th, 2016, 05:16 PM
I tried to refresh them with a little conditioner water but I think that made it worse. I may just go back to straight water. I CANT WAIT until my hair GROWS OUT more so I can change my part without it flipping back over. Ugh. Curly short hair can be cute, but it's just not what I want. I'm not a very patient individual. Im just trying to focus on healthy hydrated hair and not worry about the length so much. Plus my second son is due in 3 weeks, so Im sure I'll be preoccupied soon by other things.

I was wondering this morning how humidity affected you 2b-3a ladies. I find I can predict the weather before I step outside. If my hair is flat and dead, it's dry. Humidity actually gives me spirals, which seems to be the opposite of what many curlies say. Ain't hair weird?

I'm not quite that curly, but the humidity will amp my curly. However, it will amp each strand of hair individually, leaving me with frizzy triangle hair...well now I'm at bsl, it's more fluffy ended mess...it was true triangle around collarbone.

Ana H.
July 5th, 2016, 06:54 PM
If you notice more shedding when on sulfate-free or CO, then definitely go back to using regular shampoo. Shedding on CO, oil (on scalp), and even sulfate-free products is a thing, so do be careful. Try it one step at a time, and don't rush into things. ;)

Yikes! I didn’t know this was a thing.shudder: But I suspected more shedding when I use conditioner on my scalp. I’m glad I read this thread.

Elyse, your curls look so good! It’s definitely a huge difference.

Whirled_peas
July 5th, 2016, 07:15 PM
They're beautiful. :)

Elyse
July 6th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Thanks all for the encouraging words!

Btw lapushka, do you use the Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie as a leave in or as a cream for the LOC method

calmyogi
July 6th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I have hair like yours and I have given up on trying to preserve my curls past the day I wash it. They won't stay over night without going flat and I can't put my hair up without it flattening. I wish my curls would stay, but I just don't want to spend tons of money finding products. *sigh*

lapushka
July 6th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Btw lapushka, do you use the Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie as a leave in or as a cream for the LOC method

I use it as both, and that works amazingly well. So CES + gel + serum. That's it. Amazing definition & hold to it!

Elyse
July 6th, 2016, 12:42 PM
I have hair like yours and I have given up on trying to preserve my curls past the day I wash it. They won't stay over night without going flat and I can't put my hair up without it flattening. I wish my curls would stay, but I just don't want to spend tons of money finding products. *sigh*

This.

If I wear my hair curly, wetting it every day is an absolute must. I can KINDA revive them with a spray bottle,
But it tends to be fuzzier and take more work than saturating it in the shower. It's just not worth it. If I straighten it, I can go 3 days before washing again. But not with what I've been naturally given. It's just sad looking, limp, oddly shaped strings of frizzy zombie curls.

calmyogi
July 6th, 2016, 12:45 PM
This.

If I wear my hair curly, wetting it every day is an absolute must. I can KINDA revive them with a spray bottle,
But it tends to be fuzzier and take more work than saturating it in the shower. It's just not worth it. If I straighten it, I can go 3 days before washing again. But not with what I've been naturally given. It's just sad looking, limp, oddly shaped strings of frizzy zombie curls.

The longer it gets the harder it is as well :(

calmyogi
July 6th, 2016, 12:46 PM
People basically think I have straight hair by nature and when I wash it they are all "oh you curled your hair". I'm like "nope, just washed it lol".

Elyse
July 6th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Ok! Going to give that a shot. I bought some garnier fructis cream stuff recommended on the Polished Curl as a finishing cream. It does good for my frizzies. So CES+gel+curl cream might be my next experiment and we will see how my hair responds.

I'm having a whole lot of fun trying to find ways to maximize my hair's potential-- even though my husband was making fun of me. He (in his voice he uses for me) said mockingly: "yeah I don't know what to do with this strand right here. I found out I'm technically an omega 6 type 3 hair, but I'll be graduating soon to a super mega quad curl type Z-56"

He's mean lol. Love him.