View Full Version : hairtype help? its changed

JadedByEntropy
June 23rd, 2016, 09:32 PM
https://s32.postimg.org/bu8rc3bad/hair_type.jpg (https://postimage.org/)

So my hair is very kinked. very. and yet there hadn't been identifiable waves until i stopped towel drying. :confused: The strands themselves are straight and very coarse. They don't tangle much at all. But they have kinks.. every one of them..some are made out of kinks. I gave up straightening years ago, and hairdressers have given up straightening it too. :laugh:

There isn't really a type for kinked out of control without curls. I must have some crazy genetics. :rolleyes:

I've been feeling like my hair is 1c my whole life as when its long it stays in braids..but then when its short it stands straight up.
I've also had it on here as 2b this whole time i've been a member because of the massive frizzy waves that happen all the time when i don't braid them down.

I'm just not sure what to make of it anymore. ideas?

lithostoic
June 23rd, 2016, 09:37 PM
I would honestly say 2b. It's a shallow pattern but a very defined pattern. I imagine it'd be more characteristically 2b if it were shorter and had been cared for as wavy hair already. Gorgeous pattern! 2b is my dream texture.

papayatree
June 23rd, 2016, 09:45 PM
I think it is 2a, there isn't a defined wave pattern, but it isn't straight either.

littlestarface
June 23rd, 2016, 10:02 PM
I say your in the 1s not 2s your hair doesn't even look wavy to me maybe a slight bump here n there so I say 1c.

MINAKO
June 23rd, 2016, 11:02 PM
I have these strands of hair in the canopy section too where you basically can't tell whether it's a kinky 1a or a silky 4c. Underneath my hair is much finer and definitely a 2a. I'm just calling this texture Yoko Ono hair. But as fot the pattern alone i'd say it's a 2a, there's too much going on for a 1c and not enough depth to the wave for a 2b.

JadedByEntropy
June 23rd, 2016, 11:05 PM
so thats a 2b a 2a and a 1c. :eye:
I guess this was pretty hard. each strand is so twisted, but none line up so its just a fuzz ball of not-straight/not-curlyness of confusion xD

I guess i'll have to wait and see what the morning votes suggest. Thanks lithostoic, papayatree, littlestarface. :D

edit____
OR Yoko Ono hair! thanks MINAKO. :laugh: I feel much better about it with a fashion comparison. :D

lapushka
June 24th, 2016, 05:06 AM
I'd say 1c/2a. I don't see braidwave type waves, which is what you need to be a 2b.

Anje
June 24th, 2016, 08:03 AM
I see very shallow (dry?) 2b. Maybe 2a/2b. It's a pretty short wavelength.

spidermom
June 24th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Is this combed or brushed out?

school of fish
June 24th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Okay this may not be much help to you for typing, but I'll give you my personal philosophy about typing - it may just be a different way to look at it :)

I view the typing system as a continuum, rather than a straight line. Imagine the 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s as points on the compass... I see the texture patterns as kind a fluid path circling through straight, through s-wavy, through spirally, through coily, through kinky/zigzaggy, back through straight again. In my mind it's not a far leap from a stretched out zigzag back to a straight line again. Hence the continuum.

Personally I've found a surprisingly large amount of helpful hair tips from people on either side of my own compass point (the 1s) - so some hair behaviours and needs in common with the 2s and the 4s... and I seem to have the least amount in common haircare-wise with the opposite compass point to me, the 3s.

It your case it seems like you have almost 2 textures at the same time, within the same strands - 2s for overall wave but very stretched-out zigzag 4s for the individual hair strands! MINAKO's Yoko Ono comparison is I think a really good one for what you've got going on there - zigzig-straight bridge-between-4s-and-1s on your individual strands, with each of those strands also lying in a gentle 2 wave pattern.

So... from where I'm looking you have hair that doesn't fit easily into the existing typing system as the majority of us interpret it - you're unique!!!

And you have amazing hair, whatever type you want to call it :D

littlestarface
June 24th, 2016, 10:10 AM
If your hair is frizzy then you definitely need more moisture in your hair (I always over moisturize as I dont want frizzy hair) and I dunno if your hair is brushed here but it looks like it. Maybe you can see more wave if it was just left alone?

Pearly~91
June 24th, 2016, 10:24 AM
I would like to know how much your hair has been manipulated in these pictures. They both look like you have either brushed or combed, and the more recent picture looks like you kind of shaped how it was hanging so you could see the taper/density.

You might see a more defined pattern if you try looking at it before you touch it. I know it's difficult to let all of your hair air-dry untouched at longer lengths. Could you try wetting (completely) a couple smaller sections of hair, from root to tip, and letting those dry without touching too much? Like on an evening when you are just relaxing at home without too much to do? It won't give you a full picture, but the texture of those sections should be easy to tell. In my experience small sections should take a lot less time to dry completely, especially if the rest of your hair is up and out of the way.

spidermom
June 24th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Typing picture is best done by washing, conditioning, and not manipulating the hair at all while it dries (takes some patience). Is that what you did? It looks like waves brushed out to me.

DweamGoiL
June 24th, 2016, 07:01 PM
I agree with spidermom, they look like brush out waves.

JadedByEntropy
June 24th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Okay this may not be much help to you for typing, but I'll give you my personal philosophy about typing - it may just be a different way to look at it :)

I view the typing system as a continuum, rather than a straight line. Imagine the 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s as points on the compass... I see the texture patterns as kind a fluid path circling through straight, through s-wavy, through spirally, through coily, through kinky/zigzaggy, back through straight again. In my mind it's not a far leap from a stretched out zigzag back to a straight line again. Hence the continuum.

Personally I've found a surprisingly large amount of helpful hair tips from people on either side of my own compass point (the 1s) - so some hair behaviours and needs in common with the 2s and the 4s... and I seem to have the least amount in common haircare-wise with the opposite compass point to me, the 3s.

It your case it seems like you have almost 2 textures at the same time, within the same strands - 2s for overall wave but very stretched-out zigzag 4s for the individual hair strands! MINAKO's Yoko Ono comparison is I think a really good one for what you've got going on there - zigzig-straight bridge-between-4s-and-1s on your individual strands, with each of those strands also lying in a gentle 2 wave pattern.

So... from where I'm looking you have hair that doesn't fit easily into the existing typing system as the majority of us interpret it - you're unique!!!

And you have amazing hair, whatever type you want to call it :D

That does make more since. there are definitely a lot of blends among us. typing is very hard to do.

If your hair is frizzy then you definitely need more moisture in your hair (I always over moisturize as I dont want frizzy hair) and I dunno if your hair is brushed here but it looks like it. Maybe you can see more wave if it was just left alone?

like...pancake syrup is the Best thing i've found for my hair. proteins and keratin dry it out and its just super weird and wiry. It stays frizzy though just from the lack of pattern in the kinks.

Typing picture is best done by washing, conditioning, and not manipulating the hair at all while it dries (takes some patience). Is that what you did? It looks like waves brushed out to me.

the left one ,outside one, was still a tiny bit damp from an air dry. (how do i remember these things? haha) but i don't rarely brush it so i don't think i would have for the newer picture either. I did hand-gather the ends together so they'd show up, but the waves are just like that...not waving together.

JadedByEntropy
June 29th, 2016, 10:14 PM
A fresh wash and a proper air dry!

it was very hard not to touch it! but i
already had some waves! actual waves!

i...think i've hit FTL? o.0
https://s32.postimg.org/d63ywcy51/2016_june_30_1.jpg
[url=https://postimage.org/]https://s31.postimg.org/h0rawyqsb/2016_june_30.jpg (https://postimage.org/)

school of fish
June 30th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Interesting!

In both sets of photos I'd have said 1c/2a based on overall wave pattern, with the first photos more toward the 1s and the 2nd photos more toward the 2s. In both sets of photos I see the stretched out kinky texture of the individual strands. So it seems to me the way you have yourself typed on your sidebar is pretty much on, and that you have some very gentle wave that may show itself more or less on any given day :)

I always find it interesting to see how others view the typing categories. Some seem to gauge waves more by how much side-to-side space they take up, some by how short the bumps are, some by how tenaciously the waves hold. It's really very personal and subjective :) I myself have a ton of 2b on my underlayers but the canopy is 1a, so the whole effect is very straight - very few passing me on the street would think of me as a wavy, and classic 'wavy care' just makes my hair look unkempt. So although about 2/3 of my strands are 2b, I still type myself as 1a/1b because that reflects how my hair looks and behaves :)

To me, the value in the typing system lies less in 'identity' and more in finding the best way to care for one's own unique head of hair :) You mentioned pancake syrup, which suggests that your hair loves the kind of moisture that humectants provide.

Incidentally, if you typed yourself as 4c/1a I'd be inclined to call that pretty accurate too, in the same way that I could probably technically type myself as either 1a/b or 2a/b ;) Go with your gut - you know your hair best!

I'd definitely call that fingertip length!

lapushka
June 30th, 2016, 05:11 AM
Based on the last pics, I'd call it 2a!

Pearly~91
June 30th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I second lapushka! Based in the new pictures, I also would say 2a.

Cg
June 30th, 2016, 10:48 AM
I agree that the last pix show 2a. Too wavy for 1c, and not enough for 2b.

JadedByEntropy
June 30th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Thanks Cg, Pearly, and Lapuska. I might stay with 2a then. Since that was yesterday, it went straight back to what it was in the first pictures tho i haven't brushed. xD i like the 4c/1a but i really don't think thats a category on here xD