PDA

View Full Version : Hat hair help

Darkhorse1
October 17th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Hey gals. Sorry I've been absent--had a guest in town for a few weeks and now I'm sick. Blah.

Anyhow, I remember seeing a winter toque pattern here awhile back, that was for people with long hair. It had a hole in the back that you could put your pony tail through.

I can't knit. I can cross stitch and scrapbook, but knitting is NOT my fortee. So, I'm wondering if there are any crafty people out there--if I took an old toque and cut a hole at the back to put my hair through, would that work? I know I'd have to stitch around it to prevent fraying, but I think it could work.

I need to wear a warm winter hat whilst teaching, and I think this may be a good alternative to finding someone who can make me one ;)

Thanks!

ps--not sure if I'm putting this in the right forum. My apologizes if I didn't.

florenonite
October 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I can see it working if you are careful in your stitching around it to prevent fraying. Also, I love that you called it a "toque" like a proper Canadian - it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :P

arylkin
October 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hey gals. Sorry I've been absent--had a guest in town for a few weeks and now I'm sick. Blah.

Anyhow, I remember seeing a winter toque pattern here awhile back, that was for people with long hair. It had a hole in the back that you could put your pony tail through.

I can't knit. I can cross stitch and scrapbook, but knitting is NOT my fortee. So, I'm wondering if there are any crafty people out there--if I took an old toque and cut a hole at the back to put my hair through, would that work? I know I'd have to stitch around it to prevent fraying, but I think it could work.

I need to wear a warm winter hat whilst teaching, and I think this may be a good alternative to finding someone who can make me one ;)

Thanks!

ps--not sure if I'm putting this in the right forum. My apologizes if I didn't.

Sorry- I don't have any patterns- although I just bought a hooded scarf off etsy (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=11079405) that I plan on wearing with my updos during the winter months.

arylkin
October 17th, 2008, 07:45 PM
double post! sorry!!

Darkhorse1
October 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I have my 'nun hood', which is a large cowl neck like thing that I can pull over my head, but it does mess up my hair. The toque with the hole in the back of it was a great idea. I think I can cut and add the buttons, or just make the hole and stitch the edges so there is no fraying. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes ;)

How is toque spelled otherwise? ;) Yep, I live in Canada, but I'm a yankee ;) :D

florenonite
October 18th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I have my 'nun hood', which is a large cowl neck like thing that I can pull over my head, but it does mess up my hair. The toque with the hole in the back of it was a great idea. I think I can cut and add the buttons, or just make the hole and stitch the edges so there is no fraying. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes ;)

How is toque spelled otherwise? ;) Yep, I live in Canada, but I'm a yankee ;) :D

Nah, you spelt it right, I just have never heard anyone outside Canada call it that. Here it's just a hat, in the States it seems to usually be a "beanie" (which I always thought was *such* a weird word).

alinakathryn
October 18th, 2008, 04:33 AM
If you know some one who knits maybe you can have one made. From what I understand It wouldn't take long. Here's the link to the thread and in the thread there is the link to the pattern. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12402&highlight=longhairs

NightDaemon
October 18th, 2008, 06:42 AM

I know it's a beanie in Australia... Whenever I hear beanie in American stuff, it's those propeller caps... Comparing the different regional dialects of English can have weird results!