PDA

View Full Version : Updos to wear with hats

Laurenji
June 22nd, 2016, 11:30 AM
I'm looking for a hairstyle that would fit my medium-thick, hip-length hair up under a hat, such as a fedora or newsboy hat, not mess with the fit, not bulge out, and not look weird if I take the hat off. Probably a tall order, I know.

I was thinking about some sort of wide, flat bun or style that would fit on the top of my head - flat enough to not push up the hat too much, but also to be above the brim and not stick out underneath.

The only other idea I had was some sort of very, very low nape bun, but I can't figure out how to get something like that secure without coming loose throughout the day or getting tangled from rubbing on my shoulders all day.

Any ideas?

meteor
June 22nd, 2016, 11:47 AM
If your hair is compact-able into flat styles and not too thick and the hat is large enough, you might be able to fit some updos in, for example:

- Interlaced Dutch Braids;
- Amish Braided Bun;
- Spiral Braid;
- Coronet/Heidi/Milkmaid Braids, etc...

But honestly, I don't think there are any silver bullet solutions for really thick, big hair for this, I'm afraid... :( The only thing that works for me is wearing a low horizontally placed bun (e.g. Braided L-Infinity Bun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ) so that the brim of the hat sits on top of that low bun. Alternatively, one can wear hoods or scarves or buffs, etc... instead of hats.

Cg
June 22nd, 2016, 12:39 PM
Almost anything braided and worn high on the crown or on top should work as long as you pin the braids down flat.

Some newsboy caps have an adjustable band with an opening you can stuff a nape bun through. Also, a company called Sunday Afternoons makes a waterfall sunhat specifically for buns, with that opening at the nape. I have several of those hats and absolutely recommend them!

neko_kawaii
June 22nd, 2016, 12:55 PM
I wear low nape buns with my fedora. Spidermom's is one of my favorites for this. You might be able to get something like the vortex bun inside the hat (multiple braids pinned flat in a spiral).

Shorty89
June 22nd, 2016, 01:06 PM
I usually just buy a hat big enough to fit over my buns XD. But, maybe the vortex?

Anje
June 22nd, 2016, 01:07 PM
I have some trouble with it, since I do like to wear a brimmed hat and my hair has gotten long enough that my buns are big. Best thing I've found (other than simply leaving my hair in a braid hanging down) is an infinity bun, about as far down on my nape as I can secure it. I can *almost* wear my hat in its normal position that way. I imagine double buns near the nape would also work, though I can't say I've messed with it. Wrapping my hair around my head or sticking it into the crown of the hat somehow is definitely not an option -- my head is big enough as it is (current hat is size 7 5/8), and I'd be hard-pressed to find a hat that could accommodate either of those, even with my mid-ii hair.

RebekahE
June 22nd, 2016, 01:28 PM
I have this problem with my cowboy hat. Thought I had it solved with a figure eight bun. But I tried that last fall and my hair has grown since then and it is no longer doable. I usually just leave my hair in a braid, but if I go to a big show I am going to have to find a way to get my hair in a bun low enough I can fit my hat on. Not even a really tight cinnabun that sticks out and looks stupid is small enough.

Laurenji
June 22nd, 2016, 01:29 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'll try a few of those low nape bun suggestions, since I *probably* won't be able to fit my hair into anything except a large newsboy hat (wishful thinking on my part, lol). Since my hair is straight and slippery, I've never really gotten a bun to stay without scalp hairs to anchor it to, and to get a bun low enough to wear a hat, it would definitely have to sit lower on my neck than I have scalp hairs to anchor it. Everything just sort of slides down and out, even things anchored with a ponytail holder.

Anje
June 22nd, 2016, 01:52 PM
I feel your pain there. I also need it lower than I have hair to anchor, really, and I"m not up for a bun that literally rests on my neck. So, braid it usually is!

gawrique_
June 22nd, 2016, 02:44 PM
I have a straw hat that used to get in the way with my hair. I like the french winless with pins :cool: So you kinda drape the braid around the french base as if using a stick and the secure it with scroos or pins. Turns out very flat and fits under a not so tight hat.
A more elegant solution would be a very low sock bun, I think it might turn out even nicer when positioning the bun a little sideways.

missrandie
June 22nd, 2016, 02:50 PM
What about a french braid with low bun? The braid would give you an anchor point sans scalp hair.