PDA

View Full Version : dry hair help

gthlvrmx
June 21st, 2016, 06:14 PM
So my hair feels dry to me. I am looking for advice and someone to let me know if what I am thinking of doing is OK. Today, I clarified my hair and afterwards I applied 4 drops of coconut oil as a deep treatment but I need someone to let me know what to do next because I don't really know. I don't normally use coconut oil. Do I just shampoo it out soon, today? My hair is "dried up" (as in not wet from the shower) right now and the ends feel dry (as in they need something to fix the dry feeling, that hay-like feeling). Also, should I do an SMT and finish it off with some baby oil on damp hair?

So I'm thinking my next moves are: shampoo, SMT, baby oil. Then hope for the best. I don't want to cut or trim any of my hair, I've found more split ends and broken hairs with white dots (even today after clarifying). Thank you!

vampyyri
June 21st, 2016, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't shampoo it again unless you're using a sulfate-free shampoo or CWC-ing with your clarifying shampoo. I know when I over-do it with clarifying, my hair gets really thirsty! I would leave the oil in, do the SMT, CWC, and finish it off with the baby oil!

Obsidian
June 21st, 2016, 07:06 PM
What kind of conditioner are you using? I was having issues with dry ends lately until I switched to hello hydration conditioner, its very coney but doesn't weigh my fine hair down.
My other favorite thing is argan oil, it's light weight and really helps with dryness and frizz.

gthlvrmx
June 21st, 2016, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't shampoo it again unless you're using a sulfate-free shampoo or CWC-ing with your clarifying shampoo. I know when I over-do it with clarifying, my hair gets really thirsty! I would leave the oil in, do the SMT, CWC, and finish it off with the baby oil!
I am getting my SMT ingredients ready, I will report back with the results. Thank you!

What kind of conditioner are you using? I was having issues with dry ends lately until I switched to hello hydration conditioner, its very coney but doesn't weigh my fine hair down.
My other favorite thing is argan oil, it's light weight and really helps with dryness and frizz.
I don't use conditioner on my regular wash days. I just use baby oil. I am using Suave Aloe and Waterlily conditioner for the SMT which I am going to do in a few minutes. I am tempted to try Hello Hydration, you and Lapushka give it good reviews.

Obsidian
June 21st, 2016, 07:34 PM
If you are in the US, you should be able to find travel sized hello hydration at walmart, thats what I did then I went out the next day and bought the biggest bottles I could find.

I've not regularly used condition in 3 years, it always weighs my hair down so much and inflames my SD that it just didn't seem worth it. As my hair grows, I found the ends starting to get drier and drier so I tried the hello hydration on Lapushka's recommendation, best decision ever. My hair looks and feels so much better now and for some reason, it doesn't irritate my SD.

I sometimes use a tiny bit of shea butter too, just on the ends while still damp.

gthlvrmx
June 21st, 2016, 07:50 PM
If you are in the US, you should be able to find travel sized hello hydration at walmart, thats what I did then I went out the next day and bought the biggest bottles I could find.

I've not regularly used condition in 3 years, it always weighs my hair down so much and inflames my SD that it just didn't seem worth it. As my hair grows, I found the ends starting to get drier and drier so I tried the hello hydration on Lapushka's recommendation, best decision ever. My hair looks and feels so much better now and for some reason, it doesn't irritate my SD.

I sometimes use a tiny bit of shea butter too, just on the ends while still damp.
Awesome! 3 years and you got good results with hello hydration? I'm in! I'm in the US so ill look for the smaller size just in case it doesn't work out well.

The reason I was avoiding conditioner was because I didn't want to deal with build up as much but even with my baby shampoo or white rain shampoo, I'd slowly get build up. Oh well.

gthlvrmx
June 21st, 2016, 09:49 PM
So I here are the results: I am not entirely happy. My ends still feel dry, maybe even a tad bit drier and harder (stiff). It does look better though, visually, and it feels smooth and soft. I ran my fingers through my hair right now and I got caught in tangles at the ends of my hair. It snags a little when I run my fingers through my hair. So, it's not exactly the results I was looking for. Any other recommendations? I'll try out the Hello Hydration later after a few weeks, I don't want to over-do anything on my hair.

Obsidian
June 22nd, 2016, 12:05 AM
I've never gotten good results with a SMT, regardless of what conditioner I've tried with it. It always makes my hair feel a bit dry, I think its the honey. Have you ever used coconut oil before? Maybe you are sensitive to it? It makes my hair very stiff/crunchy. I use any other oils I have on hand like olive, peanut or even hemp. I don't care much for mineral oil, it seems to make my hair limp and coated feeling. Its bad enough I have to clarify every time I've tried using it.

Crunchy ends often means protein overload or dryness. I would get the hello hydration now and give it a go, at least on the ends. Do you use baby shampoo often? Its a beast on my hair, another things that dries me out quite a lot. I've not used white rain in a long time, not sure what its like.

I was using Vidal Sassoon cherry almond poo/conditioner with pretty good results but the conditioner made my hair pretty limp after just a day or two. I've found with the hello hydration, I can actually stretch washes without getting limp or greasy, something I've never been able to do. I do clarify ever week or two, even if I don't actually need it, just because I like the feeling of really clean hair. I use suave daily clarifying shampoo for that.

Horrorpops
June 22nd, 2016, 01:46 AM
I know I responded to your post in the SMT thread but I just though of something else!

My ends have always been super dry and I've always worn my hair loose. However recently (last 2 months) I've been so busy I have pretty much been bunning or braiding my hair every day just to get it out of the way, putting a little coconut oil on the ends. Some other regular posters had told me that my dry ends could be because my hair was left out so much but I didn't really think they were related. Boy was I wrong! My ends are so soft and moisturised at the moment and I haven't changed anything except that I don't wear my hair down often anymore.

I know our hair types are pretty different and wearing hair down is particularly troublesome for fine hair types like myself, and also I'm not sure how often you wear your hair out, but I thought I'd share my experience because I cannot believe what a difference this made! :o

Anje
June 22nd, 2016, 11:04 AM
Given the stiff ends, I'm going to suggest you dig through the cupboards and give olive oil a try instead of coconut. Use VERY little, like 2 drops -- I've never found anything that made my hair look greasy so quickly as olive oil, but it also makes mine soft reliably, whereas coconut can make a lot of people's ends feel crunchy or hard.

Do try the Hello Hydration.

Another thought is that maybe the ends actually could use a little protein to help the moisture stick. Ends can get that way sometimes, even if the rest of the hair doesn't. What I've done (and works even with my relatively protein-sensitive hair) is add a drizzle of soy sauce to the SMT. I tend to also cut the aloe, sometimes entirely, as it seems to not do much for me and I think it contributes to the occasional occurrence of those white booger things when it gets hot.

meteor
June 22nd, 2016, 11:33 AM
You only used 4 drops of oil as a deep treatment? Hmm, maybe it's just not enough for your hair?

I'd recommend experimenting with overnight pre-poo oiling (using enough oil to make hair look greasy) and oil rinses (a few drops of oil spread through length/ends between shampoo and conditioner).

Another treatment that might help (as a pre-wash treatment) is warmed up oil + honey (+ a bit of conditioner as a base), particularly if you use a relatively heavy oil like olive, for example. You get a nice combo of occlusives and humectants there, which should help dry hair. But it can make hair very greasy, so I'd use it as a pre-poo only when hair is very dry and try not to overdo it. ;)

gthlvrmx
June 22nd, 2016, 05:06 PM
I've never gotten good results with a SMT, regardless of what conditioner I've tried with it. It always makes my hair feel a bit dry, I think its the honey. Have you ever used coconut oil before? Maybe you are sensitive to it? It makes my hair very stiff/crunchy. I use any other oils I have on hand like olive, peanut or even hemp. I don't care much for mineral oil, it seems to make my hair limp and coated feeling. Its bad enough I have to clarify every time I've tried using it.

Crunchy ends often means protein overload or dryness. I would get the hello hydration now and give it a go, at least on the ends. Do you use baby shampoo often? Its a beast on my hair, another things that dries me out quite a lot. I've not used white rain in a long time, not sure what its like.

I was using Vidal Sassoon cherry almond poo/conditioner with pretty good results but the conditioner made my hair pretty limp after just a day or two. I've found with the hello hydration, I can actually stretch washes without getting limp or greasy, something I've never been able to do. I do clarify ever week or two, even if I don't actually need it, just because I like the feeling of really clean hair. I use suave daily clarifying shampoo for that.
If it made your hair feel dry, making it sucked the moisture out of your hair? I am guessing that might have happened to me this last SMT. I have used coconut oil before, but mixed in with baby oil. I am guessing the coconut oil is the culprit for the crunchy ends I got. I will try out olive oil and hello hydration, I'll get it when I go to the store soon. I only use the baby shampoo once or twice a week. It's really gentle, a little too gentle to the point that my scalp smells bad within a day or two. Before, I would CO wash and I could stretch my washes between 1-2 weeks.

I know I responded to your post in the SMT thread but I just though of something else!

My ends have always been super dry and I've always worn my hair loose. However recently (last 2 months) I've been so busy I have pretty much been bunning or braiding my hair every day just to get it out of the way, putting a little coconut oil on the ends. Some other regular posters had told me that my dry ends could be because my hair was left out so much but I didn't really think they were related. Boy was I wrong! My ends are so soft and moisturised at the moment and I haven't changed anything except that I don't wear my hair down often anymore.

I know our hair types are pretty different and wearing hair down is particularly troublesome for fine hair types like myself, and also I'm not sure how often you wear your hair out, but I thought I'd share my experience because I cannot believe what a difference this made! :o
I am wearing my hair loose now :p I usually wear it up in a bun, but for months I would wear my hair loose to sleep and I felt that's where I got damage from the bed and my back catching hairs in the middle of my sleep. Maybe I should go on the "wear your hair up challenge" again? I do use a silk pillowcase though even if it were loose to sleep, but in the morning, I would sometimes find myself on the bed and not on my pillowcase.

Given the stiff ends, I'm going to suggest you dig through the cupboards and give olive oil a try instead of coconut. Use VERY little, like 2 drops -- I've never found anything that made my hair look greasy so quickly as olive oil, but it also makes mine soft reliably, whereas coconut can make a lot of people's ends feel crunchy or hard.

Do try the Hello Hydration.

Another thought is that maybe the ends actually could use a little protein to help the moisture stick. Ends can get that way sometimes, even if the rest of the hair doesn't. What I've done (and works even with my relatively protein-sensitive hair) is add a drizzle of soy sauce to the SMT. I tend to also cut the aloe, sometimes entirely, as it seems to not do much for me and I think it contributes to the occasional occurrence of those white booger things when it gets hot.
Yes, I think it was the coconut oil that made my ends stiff. I'll get the olive oil and the conditioner from the store later. And yes, right now, the top section of my hair, including the short hairs are soft and just fine and are the positive SMT results, but the ends of my hair, the long hairs, are stiff and dry. Next time I'll keep the soy sauce in mind.

You only used 4 drops of oil as a deep treatment? Hmm, maybe it's just not enough for your hair?

I'd recommend experimenting with overnight pre-poo oiling (using enough oil to make hair look greasy) and oil rinses (a few drops of oil spread through length/ends between shampoo and conditioner).

Another treatment that might help (as a pre-wash treatment) is warmed up oil + honey (+ a bit of conditioner as a base), particularly if you use a relatively heavy oil like olive, for example. You get a nice combo of occlusives and humectants there, which should help dry hair. But it can make hair very greasy, so I'd use it as a pre-poo only when hair is very dry and try not to overdo it. ;)
Yes 4 drops. I'll give the olive oil pre poo a shot later on. All you do is wet your hair, apply olive oil, leave it on overnight, and wash it out with shampoo in the morning? Or do you CO wash it out? Then use your regular conditioner (I was thinking the Hello Hydration by this point) and then put some baby oil on damp hair and call it a day? How does that sound?

Horrorpops
June 22nd, 2016, 10:09 PM
It could be worth a try! I've always worn my hair up at night but I only noticed the change to my ends when I started wearing it up during the day too. :o It did take a few weeks to notice the difference and I generally add a bit of oil to the ends every few days as well. But it is something to try if you'd like, it can't hurt!

gthlvrmx
June 22nd, 2016, 11:43 PM
It could be worth a try! I've always worn my hair up at night but I only noticed the change to my ends when I started wearing it up during the day too. :o It did take a few weeks to notice the difference and I generally add a bit of oil to the ends every few days as well. But it is something to try if you'd like, it can't hurt!

Time to wear my hair up at night. :) I think it's long enough now for most of my hair to fit in a bun up high.

Ok everyone I got the Hello Hydration and olive oil. I will use them on my next wash. I'll come back to post results.

Zebra Fish
June 23rd, 2016, 05:39 AM
You could try doing a nice deep (warm) oil treatment and keep it over night or at least few hours followed by conditioning. After some experimentin, now I use olive and coconut mixture as in normal routine. I would sometimes get crunchy ends from coconut, so I would switch to olive oil, or, as I later found, a mixture of oilve and sunflower oil is realy got to me for hydrating. After having the oil on hair for a while, just put conditioner/SMT/hair mask over it, massage it in nicely and leave it be for at least 30min. If you think your hair is to dry to manage and massage it in, pust very little water (like just wet your hands and put them on hair - don't comb here!). After all that you wash it with water and I mostly stop here or use a little of diluted shampoo on scalp and condition briefly the ends again. Does wonders to me, I use this often in summer coz I swim in the sea almost every day. Don't have problems with dry ends (I do this as prevention). If your ends start to dry, I wouldn't hesitate from using conditoner on them regularly, at least the last 10-15 cm.

Just to mention - generaly my scalp is not good with oiling and conditioner on it, I shed quite a lot then, so I use it on the length or, sometimes, just not the 1st 10cm of hair to avoid most of it on scalp.

Obsidian
June 23rd, 2016, 07:52 AM
I hope you find a good routine. I experimented a lot before
I found what my hair looked.

I do think the SMT sucked the moisture out of my hair, that's why I blame the honey. Sometimes a humectant will remove moisture instead of add it.

meteor
June 23rd, 2016, 09:25 AM
Yes 4 drops. I'll give the olive oil pre poo a shot later on. All you do is wet your hair, apply olive oil, leave it on overnight, and wash it out with shampoo in the morning? Or do you CO wash it out? Then use your regular conditioner (I was thinking the Hello Hydration by this point) and then put some baby oil on damp hair and call it a day? How does that sound?

Oops, sorry I'm replying so late. Yes, personally, I'd leave the oil overnight and wash it out thoroughly with shampoo and then use conditioner and your regular routine post-wash. I think CO-washing may not always be enough to wash all the oil out (depending on your hair and how much oil you use on it, of course). Olive oil is pretty heavy, IMHO. I've had problems washing it out in the past, so I'd be reasonable with amounts - just enough to make it look greasy/wet/unwashed. You could also mix it with a "lighter" oil, say, coconut + olive. I think wetting hair before oiling is unnecessary, but if you feel like your hair is very dry, maybe get it damp and then cover it with oil? This way, it will be easier to sleep on it comfortably (rather than on wet hair). Don't forget a towel over a pillowcase ;) (oil transfers very easily).

lapushka
June 23rd, 2016, 09:52 AM
It's odd, but YMMV. I have 0 tangles when I use HE HH, but then I double condition, with another conditioner underneath it (may be *anything* I still have lying around here).

Maybe try the WCC method? You could, on top of that use the rinse-out oil method (10 drops of baby oil after washing, then rinse out and apply conditioner, or apply conditioner on top straight away). I use it before both my conditioners. Works like a charm!

gthlvrmx
June 23rd, 2016, 05:22 PM
You could try doing a nice deep (warm) oil treatment and keep it over night or at least few hours followed by conditioning. After some experimentin, now I use olive and coconut mixture as in normal routine. I would sometimes get crunchy ends from coconut, so I would switch to olive oil, or, as I later found, a mixture of oilve and sunflower oil is realy got to me for hydrating. After having the oil on hair for a while, just put conditioner/SMT/hair mask over it, massage it in nicely and leave it be for at least 30min. If you think your hair is to dry to manage and massage it in, pust very little water (like just wet your hands and put them on hair - don't comb here!). After all that you wash it with water and I mostly stop here or use a little of diluted shampoo on scalp and condition briefly the ends again. Does wonders to me, I use this often in summer coz I swim in the sea almost every day. Don't have problems with dry ends (I do this as prevention). If your ends start to dry, I wouldn't hesitate from using conditoner on them regularly, at least the last 10-15 cm.

Just to mention - generaly my scalp is not good with oiling and conditioner on it, I shed quite a lot then, so I use it on the length or, sometimes, just not the 1st 10cm of hair to avoid most of it on scalp.

I hope you find a good routine. I experimented a lot before
I found what my hair looked.

I do think the SMT sucked the moisture out of my hair, that's why I blame the honey. Sometimes a humectant will remove moisture instead of add it.

Oops, sorry I'm replying so late. Yes, personally, I'd leave the oil overnight and wash it out thoroughly with shampoo and then use conditioner and your regular routine post-wash. I think CO-washing may not always be enough to wash all the oil out (depending on your hair and how much oil you use on it, of course). Olive oil is pretty heavy, IMHO. I've had problems washing it out in the past, so I'd be reasonable with amounts - just enough to make it look greasy/wet/unwashed. You could also mix it with a "lighter" oil, say, coconut + olive. I think wetting hair before oiling is unnecessary, but if you feel like your hair is very dry, maybe get it damp and then cover it with oil? This way, it will be easier to sleep on it comfortably (rather than on wet hair). Don't forget a towel over a pillowcase ;) (oil transfers very easily).

It's odd, but YMMV. I have 0 tangles when I use HE HH, but then I double condition, with another conditioner underneath it (may be *anything* I still have lying around here).

Maybe try the WCC method? You could, on top of that use the rinse-out oil method (10 drops of baby oil after washing, then rinse out and apply conditioner, or apply conditioner on top straight away). I use it before both my conditioners. Works like a charm!

Thank you all for your responses! I'll try out the warm EVOO treatment overnight and then I'll do WCC.

Lapushka, for the rinse-out oil method, could you explain it a bit more? Do you shampoo the oil out or just rinse it out with water? If I were to do the WCC+Rinse-out oil method, it would be first wash with shampoo (especially to get the overnight EVOO out), then add the 10 drops of baby oil and then rinse it out with water, then add the 1st conditioner (I'll use the suave aloe and waterlily conditioner), rinse, then use the final conditioner Hello Hydration, rinse it out, then finish my whole wash off with adding baby oil to my hair?

turtlelover
June 23rd, 2016, 07:06 PM
My favorite conditioner for moisture is the generic Nexxus Humectress from Sally's. A little bit of this stuff as a leave in followed by a touch of olive oil -- just a couple of drops when my hair is almost dry -- will fix my worst post clarifying dry hair days.

gthlvrmx
June 26th, 2016, 12:38 PM
My favorite conditioner for moisture is the generic Nexxus Humectress from Sally's. A little bit of this stuff as a leave in followed by a touch of olive oil -- just a couple of drops when my hair is almost dry -- will fix my worst post clarifying dry hair days.
That's awesome! Olive oil is good. It worked for me before and it did again now after I used it as a pre poo :)

So guys, I did the olive oil pre poo(I forgot to warm it up) and WCC. I forgot to do the Rinse out oil, but I wil next wash. I got pretty good results, all of my hair is smoother and softer than last wash and it's not as dry on the ends as before, but it's still a bit dry. The good thing is that it's not as dry and stiff as they were last wash.

lapushka
June 26th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Lapushka, for the rinse-out oil method, could you explain it a bit more? Do you shampoo the oil out or just rinse it out with water? If I were to do the WCC+Rinse-out oil method, it would be first wash with shampoo (especially to get the overnight EVOO out), then add the 10 drops of baby oil and then rinse it out with water, then add the 1st conditioner (I'll use the suave aloe and waterlily conditioner), rinse, then use the final conditioner Hello Hydration, rinse it out, then finish my whole wash off with adding baby oil to my hair?

Sure!

You shampoo. Rinse well. Then apply the oil to the hair. Rinse out. Use conditioner. Rinse out. Now you can also not rinse out the oil, and stick your conditioner on immediately after (it's what I've been doing lately as well, and I like it, just one less step to take and the result appears the same).

If you plan to use a few drops of oil as a leave-in on damp, toweldried, hair, you can still do so.

gthlvrmx
June 26th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Sure!

You shampoo. Rinse well. Then apply the oil to the hair. Rinse out. Use conditioner. Rinse out. Now you can also not rinse out the oil, and stick your conditioner on immediately after (it's what I've been doing lately as well, and I like it, just one less step to take and the result appears the same).

If you plan to use a few drops of oil as a leave-in on damp, toweldried, hair, you can still do so.

Thank you! :) Maybe if I write the steps down on my arm or hand I can remember when I go wash.

gthlvrmx
July 17th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Update. My hair feels better. It stills feels too Dry for my taste, but I'll take it as is because it feels better than before and it feels smooth when I slide my hand down my hair. Thing is, I have so many split ends, white dots, and breakage now! I spent a while doing a S&D mission next to our tree outside and that's where I found so many white dots. Some of the white dots disappear when I put the hair in the sunlight, some of them don't. Some are definitely like door hinges with broken hairs attached just ready to break off. Maybe this is all from being too dry before I added in the Rinse out oil method as WCC? So now I have hair that is fine with previous "damage" to snip off and then it'll be smooth sailing from there on?
Any thoughts? Thank you!

Mufasa
July 18th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Just a thought that I don't think that anyone has mentioned - could your dryness issues stem from your use of baby shampoo? Baby shampoo formulas tend to be very alkaline (to prevent stinging if suds gets into a little tot's eye) so perhaps every time you are using it, your hair cuticles is staying open and your hair is becoming dry and brittle. I read that hair care products should be around the natural pH of the hair (4.5-5.0).

And if that's not the issue, I can tell you that my hair turns so brittle and dry when I use any product with even small amounts of coconut oil.

gthlvrmx
July 18th, 2016, 09:48 PM
Just a thought that I don't think that anyone has mentioned - could your dryness issues stem from your use of baby shampoo? Baby shampoo formulas tend to be very alkaline (to prevent stinging if suds gets into a little tot's eye) so perhaps every time you are using it, your hair cuticles is staying open and your hair is becoming dry and brittle. I read that hair care products should be around the natural pH of the hair (4.5-5.0).

And if that's not the issue, I can tell you that my hair turns so brittle and dry when I use any product with even small amounts of coconut oil.
Maybe it is the shampoo, with or without it being alkaline, because when I was CO washing for 1 or 2 years, I had almost no split ends. I was amazed at how little split ends I would find but my problem was that I had really tangly hair when I would take it out of a bun. That's why I switched from CO wash to shampoo washing. I've heard from someone that they've checked the pH of baby shampoo with pH strips and they found out they were not alkaline, the baby shampoos were normal. So for the pH thing, I don't know. It's a maybe.
Maybe all I needed to do was to clarify once and continue with my CO washing routine. Honestly, this baby shampoo is not that great at cleaning my scalp for a long time. What I mean is my scalp stinks by the end of the next day. With CO washing, I could stretch up to 3 weeks before washing again without smelling bad. I'll think about going back to CO washing and I'll throw in the clarifying shampoo here and there.

Eta: I just checked my hair now that it's dried after my wash. It feels less than dry than last weeks wash. So it's improving. I did WCC, rinse out oil with 10 drops of baby oil, and then I added 5 drops of baby oil to my hair at the end. My beard is so shiny!
Sorry for the scare guys then. I'll just S&D the splits out. Thank you all.

JSimpson
May 4th, 2017, 11:20 PM
Hey there! You should oil your hair before washing them and use a mild shampoo that will not let your scalp dry out, after that use a conditioner it will soften your hair and keep your scalp moisturized.

VersLaLumière
May 5th, 2017, 03:13 PM
When my wavy hair needs extra moisture and I'm looking for a conditioner (not a leave-in but a conditioner) to help tame it, my go-to is Palmer's Olive Oil Formula w/ Vitamin E Conditioner. It really works for my hair that can get so dry and crispy without proper care. It makes my curlier underside shiny and more defined, too, rather than frizzy.

I do WCC and I don't always use the Palmer's, but when I do I like to use a different conditioner for the first C, and the Palmer's for the second C.

I also regularly use leave-ins for the ends (esp. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil leave-in) and do deep treatments with various oils.