PDA

View Full Version : Two questions: hair typing and CG

HeartofHaleth
June 21st, 2016, 09:54 AM
I've wanted to take a proper hair typing picture for a while now, and I'm wondering what exactly is allowed. I know that you're supposed to clarify, condition, and let it dry without disturbing it, but I do ROO and a diluted ACV rinse at the end (after conditioner). Should I leave out these steps for a hair typing picture?

Second question: I'd like to try incorporating some elements of the CG method into my routine. I think there's some more wave hiding in there somewhere (when freshly dried I occasionally get some vague ringlet-ish shapes), and why not encourage it? ;D I'm almost to the end of my old shampoo (finally!), and I'm going to pick up a cone-free, sulfate free shampoo to replace it (for some reason my shampoo has cones. Is that a thing? I didn't think that was a thing...), but the CG method seems like such a vast, varied, and daunting world...any tips on where to start?

P.S. I think I need a parentheses intervention...this is getting out of hand! :p

Entangled
June 21st, 2016, 10:44 AM
There's two schools of thought regarding hair typing. One says strip you hair of everything and don't touch it at all to see what it's like in its most natural state and see what it's like, and the other says do what you normally do after clarifying, because its impractical to have a hair typing result that only exists after you treat it in a damaging fashion (clarifying with nothing else). I subscribe to the latter, so I would do what you normally do, but strip the excess stuff via clarifying and then don't touch it afterwards. this will give you a good practical base expectation for your hair. If you want to, you might leave off ROO, but that's up to you.

As for CG, I can't help you, but I can definitely commiserate on the "why do shampoos have cones?" question. I prefer to treat things part by part, though, and I guess cones are good if you don't use conditioner on your scalp but need protection from constant sulfates but no conditioner.

Anje
June 21st, 2016, 01:00 PM
I'm more in the "do something normal" school of thought. Wash it, condition it, rinse if you like to. Heck, get the drips out with a towel if you must, because who really goes around with their hair streaming water? But take it out of the towel pretty early so it doesn't influence how the hair dries, and let it dry without detangling or fluffing or similar with your wet hair. Then snap a pic once it's really dry.

As near as I can tell, CG is largely about ways to handle your hair and generally not break up the curls. If your scalp does better with sulfates or no sulfates or whatever, pay attention to that. Following a method is no good if your head itches or your hair sheds badly.

XiaoBaiTu
June 21st, 2016, 01:37 PM
I've been experimenting with elements of the Curly Girl method for a while now, and what I find the most important components of it are the cold rinse after washing/conditioning (helps to seal the hair off, allowing it to retain more moisture) and using a small amount of conditioner as a leave-in. I just smooth some through my hair after rinsing, just enough that it feels a bit slippery, not so much that you can see the conditioner in my hair. Those two steps are the most effective at encouraging my curls to clump together and be a bit more tighter/more controlled.

lapushka
June 21st, 2016, 01:56 PM
For hairtyping, just S & C (nothing else) and then pat dry with towel, and let dry (don't rub with the towel or disrupt your texture).

Second question: I'd like to try incorporating some elements of the CG method into my routine. I think there's some more wave hiding in there somewhere (when freshly dried I occasionally get some vague ringlet-ish shapes), and why not encourage it? ;D I'm almost to the end of my old shampoo (finally!), and I'm going to pick up a cone-free, sulfate free shampoo to replace it (for some reason my shampoo has cones. Is that a thing? I didn't think that was a thing...), but the CG method seems like such a vast, varied, and daunting world...any tips on where to start?

I would take it one step at a time. So if you were washing with sulfates, I'd try going sulfate-free, like you are intending to. I would see what that does and if your scalp can take it. If you're then up for CO, I'd try that as a second step. If you start shedding more or if you notice your scalp can't take it well, step back to what you were used to.

I pick & choose my way through CG, because full-on is impossible for me. I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis) and I need the sulfate wash. But the rest, like moisturizing well (I double condition), I take on board, also the *very* nourishing types of conditioners (so I use ones for dry, damaged hair).