PDA

View Full Version : What toner do I need?

StephBlondie
June 20th, 2016, 08:17 PM
I have brassy hair from going from dark brown to blonde. What toner can I use to get that lighter affect.... It's like orange...

pastina
June 20th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Blue counteracts orange, I'd try a blue shampoo. But, you're not going to get blonde if your hair is orange. It'll probably be muddy.

StephBlondie
June 20th, 2016, 08:23 PM
How can I get it to blonde then? I have a pic I can email it to.... I don't know how to post pics here ugh

pastina
June 20th, 2016, 08:25 PM
You need to upload the picture to a site like photobucket, and then link to it using the little insert image tool (it's the one that looks like a tree?)

Eta--- my guess, though, is that you'll need to go lighter. You usually need at least a yellow base to get anywhere near blonde.

Obsidian
June 20th, 2016, 09:01 PM
I agree, sounds like you need to bleach one more time then use a violet or blue toner for platinum blond.

Nellon
June 21st, 2016, 04:54 AM
Well... I'll just stick my nose in here :) And say that you could also go for a dark blonde for now (or a light brown)? Perhaps using a toner level 6 or 7 blonde? Or a demi permanent dye in one of those levels. In case you want to take a stop along the way and let your hair rest a bit before going onto bleaching and toning it even blonder, or in case you don't want to go very light. I'm no expert, just putting it out there, in case your hair is seriously damaged and need a rest. It should be an ashy shade though whatever you choose.

I know wella has some toners, never tried them. You could alway google :) And I put a demi permanent dye over my brassy hair when I had bleached it, and it got it to an acceptable blonde colour, taking the brassiness away almost like magic. It's a good way, IMO, to get rid of some brassyness without doing the amount of damage that a permanent hairdye will do. Of course there will still be some damage, but peroxide levels are lower.

So one suggestion is to find a demi permanent in perhaps level 7? Or whatever you think will look acceptable and manage to cover the brassiness (too light can be hard to pull off and might need further bleach). Then stock up on purple schampoo and semi permanent ashy colour to keep that cool tone. That's how I saved my hair and sanity once Lol! But as we all know YMMW! I personally used L'oreal Casting Creme gloss as the demi.

lapushka
June 21st, 2016, 05:51 AM
I agree, sounds like you need to bleach one more time then use a violet or blue toner for platinum blond.

I agree with that.

You could either put a darker color over it to achieve a light brown (when there's orange in there you can't go for a blonde tone because blond has no red pigment).

Or, you could bleach it until there is no orange left (might ruin your hair), and then put a blonde dye over it.

Waffle
July 12th, 2016, 03:26 AM
Sites like Imgur are much easier and better to use for image uploads

Chocowalnut
July 12th, 2016, 10:05 PM
T18 from Sally's and either a 10 or 20 developer depending how much color you want to lift. This will remove brassiness very well.

*Stella*
July 13th, 2016, 01:21 AM
Toners like T18 are designed for use on blonde hair. They will not work on orange hair, and are not a less damaging option. (Very high ammonia levels)
To get cooler tones on orange hair you will need to go at least one shade darker, but if there is a lot of warmth you are looking at neutral rather than ash tones