PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the Dye

endlessly
June 20th, 2016, 07:47 PM
I'm wanting to dye my hair again, but I also don't want to at the same time.

I used to color my hair a reddish-brown shade frequently, but gave it up nearly a year and a half ago to grow out my natural color instead. Last summer, I colored it using Caca Brun from Lush, which I know isn't considered a "true henna" and more like "a hair treatment with some henna thrown in", but I was always under the assumption that once I used that, I wouldn't ever be able to chemically dye it again. As you've probably guessed, I've since learned otherwise. Apparently, their henna only lasts 1-2 months, which I have definitely surpassed, and while I've been considering purchasing it again to try instead of pursuing the chemical route, I don't think 1-2 months of wear is worth the nearly $28 price tag.

I'm hesitant to purchase henna from any other online retailers (we don't sell it anywhere else in my area) since I haven't used the real stuff before, so I've been strongly considering taking a trip to Sally's and perusing their dye options again.

Main reason I want to dye my hair? I'm bored with it. Also, there's a pretty obvious line of where my natural color is and my faded henna/hair dye of the past was. I don't necessarily want to cut it to remove the coloring, but I'm looking for some sort of change. The only downside? My hair isn't in the greatest shape right now. I've been babying it like crazy and it definitely has returned to its healthy appearance, but I wasn't very nice to it a month ago when I had to shampoo it a few dozen times to remove a Lush hair mask that cemented itself into my hair. So...I'm in a conundrum. Health-wise, it looks and feels fine, so I'm completely confident that it would survive dye, but at the same time, I'm still stuck feeling like I should wait and just continue to grow out my natural color.

So, what should I do? Has anybody else been in this situation? Should I be lazy and do nothing or potentially screw up by coloring it?

kittengirl
June 20th, 2016, 07:58 PM
I henna and love it. I buy mine from nightblooming on etsy. I do my roots every couple months and do a henna gloss on the rest of it to freshen it up. I believe nightblooming is in MN so it would be quick to mail to you! If your hair is not in very good shape dying it won't help....could you try some new ways of wearing your hair to combat the boredom? Or at least wait until you are very sure if you plan to use a permanent dye.

Adorkable One
June 20th, 2016, 08:22 PM
I bought my henna from a local salon supply store that happened to sell it. Amazon is great, as long as the product and seller has a good reputation. Nightblooming, as mentioned by kittengirl is great! Haven't used the henna, but the hair salves are great. That's a reliable shop. :)

Just keep in mind, henna is quite a commitment. So I wouldn't really recommend it is you like to change your hair every few months.

Direct dyes are a good non damaging option too, but they don't show well on unbleached or dark hair. Plus they fade quickly. Which can be good, depends how big of a commitment you're willing to make.

lapushka
June 21st, 2016, 06:19 AM
So, what should I do? Has anybody else been in this situation? Should I be lazy and do nothing or potentially screw up by coloring it?

I wouldn't do it, if I were you. Just keep growing out those healthy roots. And I'm subbed to you, so I know what happened and what experiments you keep doing (LOL), so maybe stick to doing DIYs and testing out new products, but don't dabble in dye. ;)

*Stella*
June 21st, 2016, 02:42 PM
I would also go for direct dyes. There are several reds that will last a long time on unbleached hair, but unlike henna it will not be permanent.
So no damage and no permanent commitment, no reason not to if that is what you want.
Life is too short for boring hair lol

endlessly
June 21st, 2016, 07:27 PM
I really don't want to dye it...I'm thinking it's just plain boredom at this point! Thankfully my experiments lately are mostly just hairstyles or oils instead of anything too damaging. I think I need to pick up some new accessories to keep me busy instead!

long&blonde
June 21st, 2016, 07:48 PM
I last dyed my hair 3/28/15.

So, 14 months ago now.

I have been getting 3 inches trimmed every 6 months, to let my snow white roots catch up to my length.

Prior to this, I dyed my hair usually at least twice a month, age 15 to 61.

I get bored with it too.
I like it much more up, showing the shades underneath,
than down now.
I wonder will I even like a full head of snow white hip length hair.
Or will I just get there, laugh, and redye it.
I have not a clue.
But I like the word authenticity.
I like the rebelliousness of not dying.

So, I keep it bunned and never look.

When I get antsy, I count out 6 months.
Tell myself I will look then.

The other day I did look at my 14 months worth white roots in my blonde length ponytail. I liked it.

Bun it and never look is my advice.
Benign neglect works Wonders.

Good Luck.

Betazed
June 22nd, 2016, 12:07 PM
I was addicted to dying when I was younger and I definitely understand that awkward "want to but don't want to" point! I ended up dying my hair one last time but quickly became bored with it. I let my roots grow a few inches then went to my stylist and had her dye the rest to match. I had quite a few of those "bored with it" periods. The 1st time I expeirenced this, I got a new tattoo. I know that isn't a great idea for everyone! :p When I had finally reached the 100% virgin point, I immediately wanted a change. So, I took a small peice in the front (about 1/4 of my bangs plus 2 inches or so) and bleached that. I honestly can't remember what the 1st color was but I just went from pink to blue. I find it satisfies my need for change without compromising the rest of my hair.

But my advice is to just fight that feeling and it'll soon pass. If it doesn't, why not try a streak or two like I did?

polarnatt
June 22nd, 2016, 12:35 PM
Semi-permanent dyes could also be an option, although I tried one in the past and it was definitely fully permanent on my head.

I used to suffer from that constant boredom with my hair and as a result kept dyeing it dark, then bleach it and so forth. It was horrible and because my hair was in such bad condition, none of the colour actually looked good or made me feel satisfied.

In the end, I let my natural colour grow and the darker colour fade so that it was tolerable, and then I got highlights. I've gotten them once a year in the spring for a couple of years now, and I feel like this is my ultimate solution to being bored with my hair and wanting something new: no need to keep up with root growth, not a lot of damage since I only do it once every year, and lots and lots of different styles! I love how every spring I get that light, blonde feeling, then the shadow root that slowly grows into a soft, very natural ombre. It keeps me happy since it's constantly changing and I get to have lighter hair in the summer and darker hair during the colder months which I like, but without having to do anything to my hair. :)

lapushka
June 22nd, 2016, 12:36 PM
I mostly got bored every single darn spring and had it dyed, cut short, whatever I could do, I did to it then. And it never failed, year after year. Until I dyed and dyed it to bits (chemical cut & burn). Learned my lesson once and for all. Haven't touched dye since! And that's one of the reasons I was able to reach classic length.

Since you haven't recovered from that Lush treatment yet, I'd just baby it. Do some more oil experiments and DIYs on your channel, at least it will nourish the hair! Beats dyeing it; it just does. :)

turtlelover
June 22nd, 2016, 12:43 PM
The only chemical dye that I will use now is Clairol Gray Solutions semi-permanent. It mostly comes out in 2 weeks, and I've noticed zero damage from the stuff. If anything, whatever it is that it coats my hair with seems to prevent damage, oddly enough. I can't find split ends since I started using it, and I used to find them at shorter lengths when I used a demi. This stuff lasts longer than a typical semi, but definitely doesn't do the damage of a demi nor lift base color. LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff! There are some reddish shades, too, though I mix them w/ brown for a less RED RED color. Even if you don't have gray hair, this stuff rocks for its ability to cover, but non-damaging quality! I am terrified to try anything else since starting to use this stuff, and I use it religiously every 2-3 weeks. It covers gray VERY well, and when it fades, the gray just looks like highlights. I'd love to use henna, but I don't have the time to marinate for hours on end, and I'm afraid of how permanent henna is. The Clairol semi dye may never come out TOTALLY, but the vast majority of it does come out in a few weeks, so roots are way less obvious than w/ a permanent dye.

Morri
June 22nd, 2016, 03:11 PM
I agree with long&blonde

Last time I dyed my hair was 17 months ago and I got bored many times too. I was used to constantly change how my hair looks since I was 14 so it's hard to fight the temptation. But I am sticking with the plan to grow out 100% virgin hair. Because if I use dye, all progress that I made so far would be lost and I am sure that I would eventually want to return to growing it out. What helps me is the same thing long&blonde said - don't look at it too much. The more you focus on what you don't like, the more it will bother you and you will be dying to change it (pun intended) :D

Nadine <3
June 22nd, 2016, 03:20 PM
Maybe try a semi permanent? I've fallen in love with manic panic vampire red! It gave me a burgundy wine color indoors, and a fire engine red out in the sun. It fades towards a reddish purple color and I loooove it :) It's much less commitment than henna or a permanent dye.

Although it DOES bleed everywhere for months if it gets wet and I do find this really annoying. My turbie twist is already pink so that wasn't a huge deal, but a few white wash rags and towels are stained cotton candy pink now, even though I used them MONTHS after dying it.