PDA

View Full Version : Summer hairstyles for HEAVY hair?

Nastasiya
June 20th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Not sure if there is another thread here already, so forgive me if I didn't notice it!

Summer is comming, which is quite a difficult time for me. Since my hair is quite long and really heavy, when it gets moderately warm/hot, I just HAVE to put my hair up.

I'm sure there are more ladies here suffering from a sliding bun syndrome, or a ponytail that ends up right above the neck after few minutes, which are both my unintentional hairstyles-to-go. And quite honestly, those don't look that great and are not very practical either.

So if you have some ideas, tips or tricks about surviving summer with long hair, they are very welcome here!

CarrotTop
June 20th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Hi! :) I think part of your issue might be hair that's slippery, rather than just heavy. My hair is certainly heavy, but it holds styles pretty well because of the texture and "grip" it has. What do you usually use to hold up a bun? A stick? A fork? Bobby pins? In my experience, what I'm using to hold an updo in place matters more than the updo itself.

Nique1202
June 20th, 2016, 03:49 PM
For one, sliding bun syndrome is severely lessened for me with spin pins. Three screwed into my bun like three sides of a triangle will hold through a hurricane. Also, I find the center-held buns (lazy wrap, nautilus, disc) have a tendency to slip less because of the way the friction works inside the bun.

For two, BRAIDS! Braids everywhere. You could just wear a single braid, or to keep it off your neck entirely you can make twin braids and pin them up for Heidi braids, or go for the full crown braid treatment if your hair's short enough, or the coronet treatment if you've enough length.

lapushka
June 20th, 2016, 03:53 PM
A LWB (lazy wrap bun) stays pretty rock-solid for me. I'm a iii too, and have classic length. How long is your hair?

meteor
June 20th, 2016, 04:24 PM
It would help to know how long your hair is, in order to recommend updo styles that are more likely to work. ;)

Generally speaking, my recommendation for thick and heavy hair is "divide and conquer": sectionning and bunning from half-ups or multiple braids, etc - once you've "corralled" and divided the thickness as much as necessary, you can bun section by section.

Also, I think braids provide some great solutions for iii hair that's not bunnable yet.
And when the braid gets long enough, one can start folding it upward - e.g. Folded Braid and, when it gets even longer, kind of doing a Cinnabun/cinnablob/cinna-knot from that braid... And much later, a braided LWB becomes possible and then some other styles...

Here is a great video (by torrinpaige) on how to get thicker hair all the way up: by sectioning: half-up bun + wrap remaining hair (twisted or braided) around that base: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

This Youtuber (Divya Naidu) has done some great, well-distributed styles which work well for iii+ hair: https://www.youtube.com/user/divyan2586

Double/multiple buns (side by side or stacked, one on top of another) and multiple buns work very well, as well, because the more sections you break your hair into, the easier it is to put it all the way up, even before the length allows standard buns. Sectioning is really a great solution for thick hair before it gets bunnable.

A couple more ideas for distributing heavy hair:
- "Regency style" bun with 2 coronet braids: looks great and sections hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXu9enBrK0
- braided updo from 3 braids: looks really complicated but they are simply stacked on top of each other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y8or_RC6wM
- Milkmaid/heidi braids, crown braids and coronets

mermaid lullaby
June 20th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Hello hair twin!

I have both heavy and slippery hair, and summer is the worst for me too.
Buns kinda give me headache, so I don't mess with those. During the summer, I have just been wearing braids and clips. My hairties easily fall out, and so I make my own hairties by cutting strips from my retired stockings, if the stockings are black, nobody will ever know. I like to do French braids rather than, low ponytails. For braids, I like to be creative which I part it to the side with a accent braid (to keep my hair off my eyes) or a roll, and braid the length with fishtale or English braid. I use clips in a half updo when I'm running late somewhere.