PDA

View Full Version : What to do after a giant shed?

summergame
June 20th, 2016, 04:12 AM
In February I start to shed very hard, at least 300 hairs every time I washed my hair, also a lot of hair in my brush and I could use the vacum cleaner every for the floor. Now it start to stabilise but I only have I hair now and before II. I have lost 50%of my hair and it's layered. Should I cut it to have a bit more thickness? My braid is so small that I have to twist my elastic almost 4 times and it still fall out my hair. Will post a picture later to show you.

Arctic
June 20th, 2016, 04:19 AM
So the shedding has stopped? That's amazing news! :cheer:

I have personally always rather cut than keep thin ends, but it's very personal thing, and many chooce to keep the length. From the photos I remember seeing of your hair before, I think it looked great! Did not look like needing scissors.

I can recommend those little silicone elastics, they are small and hold well.

lapushka
June 20th, 2016, 04:25 AM
In February I start to shed very hard, at least 300 hairs every time I washed my hair, also a lot of hair in my brush and I could use the vacum cleaner every for the floor. Now it start to stabilise but I only have I hair now and before II. I have lost 50%of my hair and it's layered. Should I cut it to have a bit more thickness? My braid is so small that I have to twist my elastic almost 4 times and it still fall out my hair. Will post a picture later to show you.

Cutting your hair is not going to make it thicker. What is gone has to grow out from the root again. I do know you have AA, from other threads you started and responded in, so maybe it's time to see your doctor again, especially now you have lost a lot of thickness. I would not exclude it!

I doubt that we can recommend more than what your doctor is already recommending you. There are no miracles for this, unfortunately. :flower:

summergame
June 20th, 2016, 04:44 AM
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l359/Lucius1988/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160620_124121_zpshne6kfus.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/Lucius1988/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160620_124121_zpshne6kfus.jpg.html)

summergame
June 20th, 2016, 04:46 AM
So the shedding has stopped? That's amazing news! :cheer:

I have personally always rather cut than keep thin ends, but it's very personal thing, and many chooce to keep the length. From the photos I remember seeing of your hair before, I think it looked great! Did not look like needing scissors.

I can recommend those little silicone elastics, they are small and hold well.

Well it's much better now the shed, but I still loose much hair. :) . But i'm verry happy that it is much less now!

summergame
June 20th, 2016, 04:49 AM
Cutting your hair is not going to make it thicker. What is gone has to grow out from the root again. I do know you have AA, from other threads you started and responded in, so maybe it's time to see your doctor again, especially now you have lost a lot of thickness. I would not exclude it!

I doubt that we can recommend more than what your doctor is already recommending you. There are no miracles for this, unfortunately. :flower:

Well I already saw a dermatologist and she said that it is diffuse hairfall so not from the AA. It will grow back but very slowly because my hairgrowth is approx max 1cm /monthly.

lapushka
June 20th, 2016, 05:06 AM
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l359/Lucius1988/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160620_124121_zpshne6kfus.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/Lucius1988/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160620_124121_zpshne6kfus.jpg.html)

It looks *great*, though! :) :flower:

summergame
June 20th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Thank you Lapushka :flower:

kuroi
June 20th, 2016, 05:17 AM
Your hair looks good but the last few inches look thin indeed. You could maintain at this lenght for a while to thicken the hemline or if you are willing to go a bit shorter I suggest going back to apl, it would look fuller immediately then. It's up to your preferences. I hope your shed stops completely :grouphug:

diddiedaisy
June 20th, 2016, 05:32 AM
Great news that your shedding has stopped. :)

From personal experience I will tell you that the only thing you can do is keep trimming until the new growth catches up. Your hair looks good to me, but maybe trim off those last few inches. It is a long journey but you will get there eventually.

Good luck and happy growing :flower:

lithostoic
June 20th, 2016, 10:12 AM
The picture you posted looks almost exactly like my mom's hair -- had to do a double take! Personally I would just cut an inch off every few months (take into consideration my monthly growth is .6 - .7in) until it got to the length where I'd feel comfortable chopping. It looks good as it is but I know how frustrating it is when your hair is thinner than it was before!

Nini
June 20th, 2016, 10:22 AM
And remember elastics aren't the best way to measure by since they stretch with time.

Stepo_NiNha
June 20th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Your hair looks good and doesn't look like a F either :)

summergame
June 21st, 2016, 03:13 AM
Your hair looks good and doesn't look like a F either :)

Well it is really F :)
See at this picture taking after my freshly washed hair today:

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l359/Lucius1988/IMG_20160621_110432_zpsrtvf1gxf.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/Lucius1988/media/IMG_20160621_110432_zpsrtvf1gxf.jpg.html)

lapushka
June 21st, 2016, 05:29 AM
Well it looks great, summergame! And I love the root-color! Why not let it grow out dye-free? I'm sure all the dye and chemicals aren't that great for the follicles either... But in the end you do what you want, of course. Don't mind me. ;) :)

Stepo_NiNha
June 21st, 2016, 06:14 AM
Well it looks great, summergame! And I love the root-color! Why not let it grow out dye-free? I'm sure all the dye and chemicals aren't that great for the follicles either... But in the end you do what you want, of course. Don't mind me. ;) :)

I totally agree! ;)

summergame
June 21st, 2016, 06:55 AM
Thanks! :) I will let it grow naturally because it's to much work to color it all the time burgundy red again. It's one of the most hard colors to keep!

turtlelover
June 21st, 2016, 07:53 AM
If you are reluctant to lose length, why not try just trimming off a half inch every month? You would maintain the length you have, but it should gradually get thicker at the ends. :-)

spidermom
June 21st, 2016, 10:35 AM
I'd only trim that longest twig right in the middle of the back so that it's in line with the hair around it. That's it!

nakima
June 21st, 2016, 11:36 AM
I agree with spidermom as far as a small trim goes. I had the same thing happen to me and my fallout lasted for several years. I looked like a troll haha! your hair looks good, way better than mine did and mine did come back after the fallout stopped. It took some time and for a few years I looked like I had this halo of new growth (little hairs that stuck up all over the place) but I just rode it out and now my hair is doing well, not all of it came back but enough to be happy with it. Anyway you just hang in there. Baby your hair and take your vitamins and I drank lots of green/protein smoothies or just plain spinach drinks I think it helped a lot. good luck!

Deborah
June 21st, 2016, 03:10 PM
Yep, I'd trim a couple inches off the bottom and call it good.

gawrique_
June 21st, 2016, 03:40 PM
When the shedding has truly stopped (yay for that :D !) maybe you can hang in there a couple of month just to be sure? Of course only if you can live with your current hair. Personally at this length it doesn't look like after a major shed at all ;) more like fashionable layers.

Also if the shedding has stopped your hair will grow back and after a few inches you will definitely feel it when going through it with your hands. Maybe notso fast when putting them up in a ponytail. What I'm trying to say, in my experience it is much nicer to treat/trim your hair one you truly feel that it is going back to normal. If you start trimming directly you will mostly loose length (with your current nice ends) but not feel the recovery from the shed.

Lejli
June 21st, 2016, 10:47 PM
tbh your hair still looks healthier than my hair ever did, so dont worry about how they look, i think they look great! maybe just cut them in one length, then you wont notice the thinning of the ends so much

summergame
June 22nd, 2016, 02:58 AM
Thanks for all the replays! I think I will cut a few inches in August when it's new moon (yes I believe that it could grow faster with the right sign).

Zebra Fish
June 23rd, 2016, 05:03 AM
I think your hair looks great and wouldn't stress to much about it. People outside lhc mostly don't even notice this stuff. I'm "suffering" from a veeery deep V cut from 3,5 yrs ago (also last time at a hairdressers'), so the end of my braid is very thin (thickness comming down the length, but slowly) and what I use are the mini claw clips to secure the braid.

Theobroma
June 23rd, 2016, 09:08 AM
Your hair looks lovely -- looking at your pictures, I'd never guess you'd had such a huge shed. Honestly, I don't see any reason for you to cut back -- in your shoes I'd probably just microtrim until the ends thickened up again. That's if they bother you. If they don't, keep growing and be happy. In my experience nobody in real life thinks fairytale ends are any reason to stress about one's hair! :D

summergame
July 7th, 2016, 03:42 AM
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l359/Lucius1988/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160707_113147_000_zpszg5t3b1i.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/Lucius1988/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160707_113147_000_zpszg5t3b1i.jpg.html) A new statusupdate... Now my hair is even thinner than before :( . I don't dare to messure my ponytale because it will be so thin. I hope the new hairs are coming soon. Any tips that I could do. Can't use any moisturising conditioner because everything is to heavynow for my hair and I've got a lot of conditioners left here sobuying new ones will be an overload.

lapushka
July 7th, 2016, 06:27 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way. If it's any consolation to you, it still looks great!

turtlelover
July 7th, 2016, 06:50 AM
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l359/Lucius1988/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160707_113147_000_zpszg5t3b1i.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/Lucius1988/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160707_113147_000_zpszg5t3b1i.jpg.html) A new statusupdate... Now my hair is even thinner than before :( . I don't dare to messure my ponytale because it will be so thin. I hope the new hairs are coming soon. Any tips that I could do. Can't use any moisturising conditioner because everything is to heavynow for my hair and I've got a lot of conditioners left here sobuying new ones will be an overload.

If you are having a lot of ongoing hair loss, there is definitely something medical going on. I'd look into low iron/vitamin levels, hormone issues such as PCOS, and perhaps thyroid issues. This definitely could be something internal and not something that a dermatologist should be dealing with. If it were my hair, I'd probably trim to APL till I sorted out the medical issues, just to thicken the ends a bit.

kuroi
July 7th, 2016, 07:11 AM
I agree with turtle lover such a big shed is usually something wrong medically, getting a blood test and letting your doctor check whatever your doctor might think could be the cause. It might be something that's pretty easy to treat like anemia but the only way to know is getting it checked out.
And for you hair now either maintain to thicken up or cut back to apl. Depending on if you want keep your length or want an instant thicker hemline.

summergame
July 7th, 2016, 07:52 AM
If you are having a lot of ongoing hair loss, there is definitely something medical going on. I'd look into low iron/vitamin levels, hormone issues such as PCOS, and perhaps thyroid issues. This definitely could be something internal and not something that a dermatologist should be dealing with. If it were my hair, I'd probably trim to APL till I sorted out the medical issues, just to thicken the ends a bit.

Well I did do a bloodcontrol before and I have no problem with my vitamins or thyroid illness. Maybe there is something wrong with my hormones. I have an appointment with the gynaecologist in September, earlier was not possible.

summergame
July 7th, 2016, 07:53 AM
I agree with turtle lover such a big shed is usually something wrong medically, getting a blood test and letting your doctor check whatever your doctor might think could be the cause. It might be something that's pretty easy to treat like anemia but the only way to know is getting it checked out.
And for you hair now either maintain to thicken up or cut back to apl. Depending on if you want keep your length or want an instant thicker hemline.

Think I will cut it to APL back. It's the only solution right now.

lapushka
July 7th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Think I will cut it to APL back. It's the only solution right now.

Why? It's not bad at all from looking at it. But of course, if you are bothered by it, by all means. It's pretty, though! :flower:

summergame
July 7th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Why? It's not bad at all from looking at it. But of course, if you are bothered by it, by all means. It's pretty, though! :flower:

Thank you Lapushka but the ends are to thin for me! :flower:

nakima
July 7th, 2016, 02:25 PM
My hair fall out was due to hormones and stress and the more I stressed about it the worse it got...I went to see my Dr. and her hair was thinner than mine so she couldn't see the problem. Then her nurse came in and told her it may not look bad to her but she knows her own hair and how much was there to start. sometimes others just don't see it. I was afraid to do anything to my hair for fear I would cause more damage and thinning then a friend of mine talked me into some highlights and it actually helped. my hair felt thicker and more alive and it helped me to stop stressing so much. Not suggesting that you color your hair just sharing what helped me. Good luck! I also used neutrogena anti- residue formula because while it was thinning I seemed to have more build up and it just made my hair and scalp feel better, another product I used if my scalp itched was scalpicin anti-itch medication and it helped too. If you try any of these I hope they helps you as well :)

kuroi
July 7th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Good to hear it's better. Stress is a bad thing indeed but I know how hard that is to keep under control. Are your hormonal issues also treated?
Keeping your scalp happy is a good thing to focus on. I hope you will see regrowth soon.

summergame
July 8th, 2016, 12:56 AM
My hair fall out was due to hormones and stress and the more I stressed about it the worse it got...I went to see my Dr. and her hair was thinner than mine so she couldn't see the problem. Then her nurse came in and told her it may not look bad to her but she knows her own hair and how much was there to start. sometimes others just don't see it. I was afraid to do anything to my hair for fear I would cause more damage and thinning then a friend of mine talked me into some highlights and it actually helped. my hair felt thicker and more alive and it helped me to stop stressing so much. Not suggesting that you color your hair just sharing what helped me. Good luck! I also used neutrogena anti- residue formula because while it was thinning I seemed to have more build up and it just made my hair and scalp feel better, another product I used if my scalp itched was scalpicin anti-itch medication and it helped too. If you try any of these I hope they helps you as well :)

I'm sorry to read this :flower: Hope it is better now with your hormones and your stress!

I will not color it anymore because it's so hard to grow out and with the red tints in my hair they could not bleach it, they said.

Thank you for your advice anyway! :)

nakima
July 8th, 2016, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=summergame;3261487]I'm sorry to read this :flower: Hope it is better now with your hormones and your stress!

I will not color it anymore because it's so hard to grow out and with the red tints in my hair they could not bleach it, they said.

Thank you for your advice anyway! :)[/QUOT

Yes my hair is doing quite well now thank you :) my fall out happened years ago and the things I mentioned were just a few things I noticed helped me while going through it. As others have mentioned if it continues it could be due to health issues.So just hang in there and hopefully it will turn around soon :)

summergame
August 2nd, 2016, 05:29 AM
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l359/Lucius1988/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160802_125917_zpsi3qgdpvs.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/Lucius1988/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160802_125917_zpsi3qgdpvs.jpg.html)

My mother cut a few cm from my hair. It looks fuller now I think :)

lapushka
August 2nd, 2016, 06:03 AM
It looks great, summergame! :) And it still looks like it's APL.

summergame
August 2nd, 2016, 06:32 AM
It looks great, summergame! :) And it still looks like it's APL.

Thank you Lapushka! :flower:

Cg
August 2nd, 2016, 09:12 AM
Summergame, it looks thick and full! Very pretty!

Arctic
August 2nd, 2016, 09:20 AM
Looks perfect, Summergame! Enjoy your new hair!

summergame
August 2nd, 2016, 12:20 PM
Thank you CG and Artic! :flower: