PDA

View Full Version : Hanging out at Terminal

nekosan
June 19th, 2016, 06:37 PM
I searched for another "at terminal" thread, but didn't find one. (I found "growing to terminal", but not "stuck at terminal".) Please let me know if i missed it!

I figured my hair was at terminal length when i had waited long enough to grow a complete new head of hair, but my hair was the same length. So, if the longest strand of hair was 30 inches, and my hair grew 6 inches per year, then having the exact same length of hair 5 years later with no trimming was a pretty clear indication of terminal to me.

I've had several different terminal lengths, based on how well i was taking care of my hair. In grade school, it seemed to be around waist/hip length (estimating, from looking at old photos). At the time, i went to sleep with wet uncombed hair or just loose dry hair, brushed out the tangles in the morning, and kept it loose all the time.

I figured out to comb conditioner through my hair when washing it sometime in Junior High, which made detangling later much easier, and also got my hair to grow just past hip.

Sometime in college i started wearing my hair in braids at night. At first it was only the nights when i wasn't going to wash my hair the next day, then i moved to every night and up during the day. After 5-6 years of doing this, my hair almost reached classic. I can't remember if more than a few strands at a time have ever been long enough to actually sit on.

Looking carefully at various pictures, it seems that medication I started taking around 2005 has shrunk terminal length back a few inches; my hair is still between tailbone and classic though.

I don't feel quite in place at the "microtrimming and maintaining" thread, since I'd actually adore it if my hair got longer, it just doesn't seem like something that's going to happen. The last time it was cut short was 1977ish; the only time it was trimmed by more than 6" was 1988ish (darned hairdressers and their huge "one inch" measurements). I've trimmed 3-6 inches off it occasionally, and it's back to the exact same length 6 months to a year later.

Who else here is at terminal?

anou
June 19th, 2016, 08:53 PM
I am definitely not at terminal but it's my long term goal so I am going to be here just to look at everyone's lovely manes and to hear their stories :crush:

trolleypup
June 19th, 2016, 11:50 PM
I'm probably at terminal...but...some years ago I stayed the same length for 5 years with all the terminal markers...and then randomly gained inches for a while.

Zebra Fish
June 20th, 2016, 01:53 AM
There definitely are other threads, I rememeber reading them through years, but can't get the links now. I'm not at terminal (at least I hope) and can't help in any other way, sorry.

littlestarface
June 20th, 2016, 02:12 AM
I have a weird terminal, like the bulk of my hair stops growing at BCL it's been like this since I was little but I have few strands that go to calf maybe longer if I ever let them but it just looks so ridiculous to me to have so much thin taper on myself especially when I have so much hair above it so I keep it at still thinning FTL. So I'm here for life or until I wanna go shorter.

lapushka
June 20th, 2016, 05:21 AM
I searched for another "at terminal" thread, but didn't find one. (I found "growing to terminal", but not "stuck at terminal".) Please let me know if i missed it!

Here's the official thread (search titles only in the search on here and you'll get much further, just FYI):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=90499

Stepo_NiNha
June 20th, 2016, 10:28 AM
I don't know my terminal yet... probably I'll never know, I don't want my hair longer than TBL. Or maybe I'll know before that happen and I will never be able to reach TBL ...

It's not that easy to know if you're at terminal because if you're facing a breakage point your hair might be passing through a false terminal length. It happened to me a lot of times around BSL. And it can stay that way for some years until you notice some few inches more. Probably in grade school you were passing through a false terminal around waist/hip? Keeping hair loose all the time might be an indication of it. After all, you were able to reach TBL/Classic after that, so waist/hip was not your real terminal :)

Right now, if your ends look pretty healthy and not breaking and you don't notice any growth, probably you're at terminal.

nekosan
June 20th, 2016, 10:51 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=90499

Yup, that's the "growing to terminal" thread that i found. I was thinking that "stuck at terminal" was slightly different, but maybe not to most people. *confused*

Silverbrumby
June 20th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Waves hand. I'm stuck at terminal, a very short terminal. Looking at photos I've never had hair at a solid waist. It starts thinning at APL mad by BSL it's only 1/5 as thick. Five years here, great care, very small trims. ladySabrina and I joined at the same time and she is only one inch off classic now I believe. We both started at APL. I was 25 inches then. Now I'm at an all time high of 29 (just a few brave pieces of hair have reached that.

I belong here. P.s. I'm not trimming for a year to see if I make any gains on this length.

ravenheather
June 20th, 2016, 07:29 PM
I hope to be here someday, but I hope not for a while :cool:.

gthlvrmx
June 20th, 2016, 07:38 PM
I hope to be here someday, but I hope not for a while :cool:.

Same here! Once I reach terminal though, I am there for life.