PDA

View Full Version : Best time to trim?

xcrunr2go
June 18th, 2016, 02:31 PM
What's the best time to trim/cut your hair? Year/month/day/time? I thought I remember hearing of different theories on the moon cycles? Any info appreciated!
:scissors:

Nique1202
June 18th, 2016, 03:00 PM
The best time to trim is when you have the time and energy and patience to sit down and get it done right, whether you're getting a salon trim or going DIY. The moon has absolutely nothing to do with human biology. It's too big and we're too small for the tides to have any effect on us, and the "phase" of the moon only has to do with whether the moon is beside us, in front, or behind, with regard to the sun's position, it's not like it actually changes size. Any perceived effect of the moon on hair growth or anything else to do with humans is either confirmation bias, placebo effect, or a coincidence.

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 03:15 PM
It's a good time, when *you* think it's a good time. Some people follow the lunar calendar, but that's like more of a hobby, I think, rather than a belief system. Well, to me at least. I don't trim according to the lunar calendar. I trim when I feel the need for a trim is there.

I reached classic length, which is my goal length in September 2015. Trimmed January 2016, so 4 months later, then again February 2016 because it had had a growth spurt, then again 4 months later, in June now. Just had it trimmed last week.

So you have to see, when you have time and patience to self-trim, if you self-trim; and feel the need for a trim.

school of fish
June 18th, 2016, 03:26 PM
I have to agree with Nique1202 on this one - and I'm a moon trimmer!!!

I've been tracking my growth for the last 2-1/2 years, and it grows steadfastly at 1/2" per month, regardless of moon phase. I truly don't believe that cutting at a certain time of day, day of the month, or month of the year will have any measurable impact on growth rate.

That said, my hair does best with monthly microtrims, so I've elected to time my trims with the new moon of every month. I could just as easily have chosen the first day of each month, or the last Thursday of each month - it wouldn't make any difference. I just happen to like adding a little romance into a routine activity, so trimming on the new moon appeals to me for that reason - I like the feeling of marking a natural cycle :)

But it doesn't make my hair grow any faster - it does that on its own. With a little help from time and patience, just as lapushka stated ;)

lulikrueger
June 18th, 2016, 05:19 PM
When you feel like it, really. If my ends start to feel a little velcro-y I'll snip snip without thinking twice.

ElvenEngineer
June 18th, 2016, 05:29 PM
I have to agree with Nique1202 on this one - and I'm a moon trimmer!!!

I've been tracking my growth for the last 2-1/2 years, and it grows steadfastly at 1/2" per month, regardless of moon phase. I truly don't believe that cutting at a certain time of day, day of the month, or month of the year will have any measurable impact on growth rate.

That said, my hair does best with monthly microtrims, so I've elected to time my trims with the new moon of every month. I could just as easily have chosen the first day of each month, or the last Thursday of each month - it wouldn't make any difference. I just happen to like adding a little romance into a routine activity, so trimming on the new moon appeals to me for that reason - I like the feeling of marking a natural cycle :)

But it doesn't make my hair grow any faster - it does that on its own. With a little help from time and patience, just as lapushka stated ;)

I love this philosophy on beauty. I love adding romance to whatever routine I can, because whimsy is good for the soul. But that doesn't mean we have to embrace unfounded beliefs in order to do so. :)