PDA

View Full Version : Why do I get waxies and what to do about them?

Morri
June 17th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Hi everyone,

for the last 6 months or so I have been having occasional waxies. I only found a thread about it being a soap buildup but I don't use shampoo bars. I use no sulfate shampoo (for the last couple of years). It doesn't really depend on what brand shampoo I use, if I use tea or vinegar rinse or if I did hair masks/scalp treatments. Does anyone know why this happens and what can be done to prevent them and what to do with the existing ones? Usually, if I get waxies, I immediately wash my hair again which does the trick.

yogagirl
June 17th, 2016, 08:18 PM
You mean your sebum is waxy, so you get waxy roots? If so, I have the same thing. I have to use sulfate shampoo most of the time. Non sulfate shampoo just does not cut through the waxy sebum enough and I may end up with slightly waxy right after the wash or my hair will get oily/waxy way sooner than usual.

Some people just have waxier sebum than others. Btw, your water also plays a role in how well your shampoo cleans. For example when I take a shower with soft water (like they have at the yoga studio I frequent), non sulfate shampo will clean well enough. At home (hard water) I need to use sulfate shampoo for the same cleaning effect.

Morri
June 17th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Yes, I mean waxy, greasy patches on the scalp after I wash my hair. Today I washed my hair 3 times because of that :( I can't really use any harsh shampoos as they dry out my hair and it breaks. Even sulfate free ones sometimes are too drying. It makes sense about sebum and water differences but I have started having these problems only recently and I haven't had any lifestyle or place changes.

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Maybe a silly question, but do you massage your scalp with the suds well enough. I see so many wash 'n goes on YT with people who don't "wash" their scalp properly. You need to suds the lot up and really get in there, in sections if you must especially when your hair is thick.

I'm a iii, so ii/iii, same thing. When my hair gets washed (it's washed upside down), my hair gets a glob of shampoo in the back, on the top of the head, and then one glob divided into two to go to the sides; scrub well, wet, scrub more. Rinse a little, scrub some more then fully rinse.

Might have to do that multiple times if it's spots you've "forgotten" multiple times.

June 18th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Morri, I like your av, is that a mouse in dress? So cute! I had pet rats and chinchillas, rodents are so cute.

I agree with lapushka, you need to use more shampoo. I do if I oil heavily and shampoo it out later. If you want to protect your lenght oil your hair before shampooing.