PDA

View Full Version : Bun ideas?

JadeTigress
June 17th, 2016, 05:31 PM
The LWB has always been my go to bun, and now, at just brushing APL, I can finally just barely do it again. But I'd like to learn some new styles this time around. I feel like I've never been able to do some of the really cool buns without atleast BSL hair. Other than Gibson tucks and such that I could do at a shorter length, what other buns have you been able to do at the length where you could finally (barely) achieve a lazy wrap bun?

meteor
June 17th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Disc bun is achievable before LWB (because it's a bit like splitting hair into 2 sections and doing LWBs in opposite directions). Also, check out Arctic's 3-strand Disc Bun (in her blog).

Peacock twist is one of the first updos that can be done, I think. Also, French twist, if the hair isn't too thick for it.

I'm also a big fan of all sorts of braided buns. If you can braid your hair, you can just wrap/tuck and pin the braid in some way (e.g. like a cinnabun) and it usually holds. Also, I find that Ellingwoman Braided Bun, Interlaced Dutch Braids, Braided Beehive (from 3 braids bunned on top of each other), Milkmaid Braids, Amish Braided Bun can be done on hair that isn't long enough for more traditional buns.

Also, all sorts of double/multiple buns and sectioned buns (from half-up) should be doable (e.g. half-up knot bun, nautilus, lwb...), since you aren't bunning all the thickness at once. You can then twist/braid and wrap the remaining hair around the base bun after.

Entangled
June 17th, 2016, 05:44 PM
There's the peacock twist while your hair's short. Check out Arctic's blog. You can also do this: wrap you hair around your fingers (two of them worked for me) like you're doing a LWB. wrap the rest of the air around the base. Then, instead of pulling whelp around the bun, split it in half with a stick and put the stick down through one of these new loops and up through the other on the other end, like making a flexi-8 with hair.

hayheadsbird
June 18th, 2016, 04:05 AM
There's the peacock twist while your hair's short. Check out Arctic's blog. You can also do this: wrap you hair around your fingers (two of them worked for me) like you're doing a LWB. wrap the rest of the air around the base. Then, instead of pulling whelp around the bun, split it in half with a stick and put the stick down through one of these new loops and up through the other on the other end, like making a flexi-8 with hair.
I just tried a variation of this!
Instead of wrapping all my hair round my finger, I just took a section, then wrapped the rest round the base and split the loop with a stick. 2 hours of housework and it's still secure!
My hairs APL and iii, so too thick/short for most buns without sectioning or adding braids. Only thing I can do so far with a single stick is a cross between a cinnnibun and peacock twist, everything else requires spin pins to hold it together. This was quick, easy and feels secure. Still a few whispys and ends sticking out, but I can work on that!

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 04:51 AM
APL is probably still a little short to do a nautilus bun. But who knows, it often depends on hair thickness too, so you'll have to see.

hayheadsbird
June 18th, 2016, 05:59 AM
APL is probably still a little short to do a nautilus bun. But who knows, it often depends on hair thickness too, so you'll have to see.

I can get a nautilus up in DDs APL hair, but her texture is much finer than mine and she's a i in ponytail circumference. So frustrating being able to do so much with her hair and so little with mine, despite being the same length!

Entangled
June 18th, 2016, 09:43 AM
I just tried a variation of this!
Instead of wrapping all my hair round my finger, I just took a section, then wrapped the rest round the base and split the loop with a stick. 2 hours of housework and it's still secure!
My hairs APL and iii, so too thick/short for most buns without sectioning or adding braids. Only thing I can do so far with a single stick is a cross between a cinnnibun and peacock twist, everything else requires spin pins to hold it together. This was quick, easy and feels secure. Still a few whispys and ends sticking out, but I can work on that!

Great! I'm so glad you found something that worked for you!

Agnes Hannah
June 18th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Sock bun? I believe they are really secure and very doable at APL. I used claw clips to put mine in a french twist for a while too.