PDA

View Full Version : Hair disaster and massive cut :(

Eastbound&Down
June 17th, 2016, 10:27 AM
About I week ago my hair got caught on fire in a freak grilling accident at a friend's house. The damage went all the way up to my shoulders. My back was also burned. I had to cut off almost a foot of hair. I cried for about 3 days and then decided that if I had to lose the length, I might as well have it look good so I had a friend and hairdresser come and fix it into a bob style. All that progress over the last 2 years, gone in a couple of seconds, I'm still pretty upset about it.

hayheadsbird
June 17th, 2016, 10:29 AM
I'm so sorry. That would be so frightening.

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 10:31 AM
OMG, how scary! I hope your back burn isn't anything serious. Don't worry about your hair, I'm just glad you are ok! Bobs are nice style, and easy to grow from, you'll be at APL before you know it!

pailin
June 17th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Oh, that must be awful. I'm so sorry to hear it.

Eastbound&Down
June 17th, 2016, 10:34 AM
OMG, how scary! I hope your back burn isn't anything serious. Don't worry about your hair, I'm just glad you are ok! Bobs are nice style, and easy to grow from, you'll be at APL before you know it!

Thankfully the material shirt I was wearing took most of the damage but I have the equivalent of a really bad sunburn down the middle of my back, I got some burn cream from the hospital and it has gotten better over the week.

Eastbound&Down
June 17th, 2016, 10:36 AM
It was a shock, I'm just glad I wasn't holding either of my kids when it happened.

sumidha
June 17th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Oh my gatos I'm sorry for the hair but I'm glad you were not seriously hurt! :grouphug:

Groovy Granny
June 17th, 2016, 10:46 AM
:agape: That is a terrible and scary ordeal; thank God you are ok (((hugs)))!

Wishing you a fast regrowth :flowers:

Lanalavallama
June 17th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Oh no, that is a terrible experience. Please don't feel too bad about your hair, you could walk away from that freak accident. Take care of yourself; you'll be sporting long hair soon enough:grouphug:

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 11:05 AM
It could have been worse, that's true, and thank God it wasn't, but losing hair like that is awful. Not to mention the burn on your back. OMG. This is terrible. Lots of hugs. :grouphug:

Shepherdess
June 17th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I am so so sorry that you had this horrible experience! :( I'm glad you are okay, though it is very hard to loose so much hair suddenly like that. :( Sending hugs :grouphug:

lapis_lazuli
June 17th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Wow, I am so sorry to hear that :( I am glad you are okay! Wishing you speedy regrowth :grouphug:

kuroi
June 17th, 2016, 11:49 AM
:grouphug: that must have been terrifying. It's sad to loose so much lenght but it will regrow and luckily you're not badly hurt.

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I had to start from chin afresh twice in the 11 years I've been here. Due to dye disasters, so I know a bit of what it's like having to chop it all off (both from BSL lengths). Yeah. Been there, I'm sad to say. But this wasn't from your own stupid mistake (in my case it darn well was), this was due to something beyond your grasp, and that makes it all the more frustrating. I can't imagine.

I hope you can get used to the bob; happy growing. It grows pretty fast back to shoulder from a bob, that has been my experience, and by the end of the summer you should be well on your way again. Good luck!!! :)

Caraid♫
June 17th, 2016, 12:49 PM
I would be so upset if that happened to me- I'm so sorry! Not only does being forced back in your length progress suck, but also the shock of the incident I'm sure! Thank goodness you are ok, although a back burn sounds horrible! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

meteor
June 17th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Oh noooooo! :( I'm so sorry you went through this terrible experience! :grouphug: That must be so terrifying!
Wishing you a speedy recovery - both regrowth for the hair and of course, healing for the skin on your back! :pray: I really hope your hair will regrow quickly after this accident!
Hugs to you, Eastbound&Down! :grouphug:

MINAKO
June 17th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear that. I guess it won't be much of a help but precautions please!!! It doesn't sound like your hair was tied up. Absolutely everytime you go near fire or spinning electronics it should be out of the way with no exeptions. Dangerous to let that one slide.

Anje
June 17th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Oh no! I'm sorry for your hair, but I'm so glad you weren't badly hurt!

Pearly~91
June 17th, 2016, 02:09 PM
That must have been so upsetting, I'm not surprised that you cried for days :grouphug:

At least there was enough left to salvage a bob! As others have said, they do grow out well. Once you recover from the traumatic experience, I hope you can enjoy your hair at a shorter length. Try to think about the positive things, like how much cooler it is in summer :cool:

I hope you recover quickly and you get some fast growth!

diddiedaisy
June 17th, 2016, 04:02 PM
:grouphug: wow, that is scary. Thank god you weren't seriously injured. It is very sad about your hair but you could be in the hospital right now with 3rd degree burns. I hope your back recovers quickly and I hope you can enjoy your new hair journey.

HeartofHaleth
June 17th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Glad you're (mostly) alright! I'm so sorry you had to go through that...I couldn't imagine losing that much hair so quickly! Praying for swift healing and swift regrowth! :grouphug:

teal
June 17th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Wow! How scary! I'm glad you're ok. Your hair will come back, but you're irreplaceable. :)

-Fern
June 17th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Oh no!! I'm so sorry, Eastbound. :grouphug: Hugs to you, and it's totally okay to cry. I can't say it any better than teal did--glad that you and the kiddos are okay.

AZDesertRose
June 17th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Yikes! I'm glad you're more or less okay. Take care of that burn on your back. Sorry about the forced haircut. :(

:blossom:

Angela_Rose
June 17th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Yikes! I'm glad you're okay, if a bit singed 'round the edges. Just think of the very nice condition of your new ends!

Happy (re)growing.

truepeacenik
June 17th, 2016, 08:46 PM
As someone who has had many too close encounters of the candle flame kind, I feel for you.
I'm happy you are physically ok.

This is one time to say, it's just hair. And it saved you.

Eastbound&Down
June 17th, 2016, 09:29 PM
Thanks everyone! Yes, I usually have it up but I decided to wear it down to this event. The wind kicked up and the flames went right into me somehow. Please everyone be careful wit your tresses this summer!! Don't end up like me!

browneyedsusan
June 17th, 2016, 09:39 PM
That is so scary! I'm so thankful all that was burned up was a head of hair. You will make more. I'm really glad you're okay. :grouphug:

CarrotTop
June 18th, 2016, 01:04 AM
Hopefully your back will heal quickly! It's too bad you lost that much length from a freak accident. :grouphug:

butterflybutton
June 18th, 2016, 03:10 AM
*hugs* I'm so glad you aren't badly injured, sounds like having your hair out saved your skin from more damage. Thankfully hair grows back, but it could have been much worse for you if your hair was up.

gustavonut
June 18th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Thank god it didn't burn your skin or scalp itself. I'm sorry you had to lose all that length though.. But now you can start off nice and fresh and enjoy the journey once more!

Eastbound&Down
June 18th, 2016, 10:30 AM
*hugs* I'm so glad you aren't badly injured, sounds like having your hair out saved your skin from more damage. Thankfully hair grows back, but it could have been much worse for you if your hair was up.

That's true and my DH said the same thing

Wusel
June 18th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Thankfully the material shirt I was wearing took most of the damage but I have the equivalent of a really bad sunburn down the middle of my back, I got some burn cream from the hospital and it has gotten better over the week.

OMG... That's scary... :( I hope your back is okay now and doesn't hurt?

ephemeri
June 18th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. Burns are so painful! I wish you a speedy recovery and lots of fast growth. :blossom:

Nadine <3
June 18th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Oh goodness! I am glad you're okay! Your hair will grow back.

Agnes Hannah
June 18th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Oh my,what a terrible thing to have happened! I'm sending you one massive big hug!!I started off with a bob when I decided to grow my hair, it was a lovely place to start from, bobs look really elegant and you will have lovely hair to work with. Sending love.x

Angelica
June 18th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Very sorry to hear about this happening. Like everyone else is stating it could've been worse. so thank God it wasn't. Hoping your back heals up well and that your hair grows back swiftly. Take care.

LongCurlyTress
June 30th, 2016, 07:36 PM
I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you!! It must be so heartbreaking about your hair, but at least you are ok. Hugs! :blossom:

EdG
June 30th, 2016, 07:59 PM
:grouphug: Eastbound&Down.

At least you are okay. :)
Ed

spirals
June 30th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I'm crying over here because I feel for you. But mostly I am so thankful that burn on your back was not worse! I don't even want to think about what could've happened. You're alive and you will heal and I'm soooo glad of that!

Spinder
June 30th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear that. I guess it won't be much of a help but precautions please!!! It doesn't sound like your hair was tied up. Absolutely everytime you go near fire or spinning electronics it should be out of the way with no exeptions. Dangerous to let that one slide.

Thanks everyone! Yes, I usually have it up but I decided to wear it down to this event. The wind kicked up and the flames went right into me somehow. Please everyone be careful wit your tresses this summer!! Don't end up like me!

The importance of the advice of post #1 is massive. I don't go anywhere near a stove, barbecue, power tools, etc without having my hair secured in a bun. Especially with an open flame grill, one gust of wind and/or a stray ember is all it takes, and then you could find yourself in a burn ward, or worse. Even when I burn a candle, I always keep my hair secured (my Aunt burned off a lock of her hair once by leaning too close to a candle flame). Please, please be more mindful of this in the future - and not just you, but anyone with long hair must be most careful too.

Nonetheless, accidents happen to the best of us. I am so sorry this happened to you. That is absolutely horrible and terrifying, but it could have been so much worse. I am so glad your injury was not more serious and I hope it heals up soon. I know you are sad about your hair, but as everyone has said, don't lose heart. It will grow again!

:blossom:

Whirled_peas
July 5th, 2016, 08:04 PM
We've all been there. :(

moontree
July 5th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Oh no, I'm glad you're alright! Wishing you a full recovery and speedy regrowth.

LillithTheFirst
July 6th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Oh my Gaia.... That sounds like a hair-nightmare I had - and you lived it! I hope your back is healed!
This serves as a very SERIOUS reminder that when we are around flames or moving mechanics that we need to have our hair up and secured in a bun!
I've heard way too many horror stories about hair burning up or getting caught in gears. *shudders*