PDA

View Full Version : I stopped compromising my waves!

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 07:31 AM
So, I've apparently done several things wrong with my hair in the way that I treat it over the years, and have always been left with the question: Where did my waves go from when my hair was short?

Then I found the culprit: Basically, when I take a shower, I shampoo and condition like anyone else would, but I rinse the conditioner completely out of my hair (could leave some in). Then, I would step out of the shower, brush it damp (second mistake) and serum the daylights out of it (third mistake, weighs it down). Lastly, as it's drying, I continued to brush it as it dried, to help it dry faster (the biggest culprit, fourth mistake). It doesn't even end there, I brush it all throughout the day as well! It's really no wonder that my hair has rebelled with frizz as a response to all of that brushing! shudder:

So today I am experimenting. I did an SMT last night and woke up a greaseball (to be expected, put too much on my scalp) so I used a sulfate-free shampoo to get the excess out and combed a deep conditioner from the ears down to lock in that moisture... got out of the shower, squeezed the excess water out with my turbie-twist, then, get this... I LEFT IT ALONE! Well, I did brush my bangs, because if I don't, they won't fall into their proper place... but I digress. I drove to work this morning and turned the heat on a low setting on medium-high speed to quicken the drying.

Now, I am at work, with the back of my head still damp, but there is one thing that is different today... I. HAVE. WAVES!! :happydance: and a co-worker noticed, and she said, "Oh my god, your hair looks so long and gorgeous today!!"

I changed my hair type on here from 1c/2a to 1c when I lost hope, and was even thinking it's a 1b... but, now I'm not exactly sure if it is a solid 2a or not. I will post a photo later in the day once my hair is completely dry.

The main thing is, I've beat the urge to brush it constantly... and I hope I never tangle teeze the living daylights out of my hair again!

tl;dr version: I brush the heck out of my hair, and treat it like it is straight. Didn't mess with it today, and WAVES.

ExpectoPatronum
June 17th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Congrats on embracing your waves! It's a great feeling to realize that frizz = waves. I was in the same boat as you for a really long time - always treating my hair like it was straight and wondering why my hair never looked good. Do you plan on going to full curly girl route?

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Congrats on embracing your waves! It's a great feeling to realize that frizz = waves. I was in the same boat as you for a really long time - always treating my hair like it was straight and wondering why my hair never looked good. Do you plan on going to full curly girl route?

Excuse my being uninformed... but what is the curly girl route?

lazuliblue
June 17th, 2016, 08:15 AM
The curly girl method helps people who have wavy/curly hair. Generally it means don't use products with silicones in, as they coat the hair and then they need washing out with slufates, but sulfates dry out and strip the hair, and then because it looks dry people use products with silicones to make it look shiny again...and so the cycle continues!

Wavy and curly hair needs more moisture than straighter hair, so the curly girl method advises using a silicone and sulfate free conditioner to wash both the scalp and hair (called CO-washing/conditioner only washing), and then other stuff like leave-in conditioners etc.

I tried CO-washing but my scalp didn't appreciate it so I use a silicone/sulfate free shampoo and conditioner which is very gentle...this method is called low-poo (low amount/gentle shampoo.)

Let curly penny explain it all! http://youtu.be/vwvBdHgl96E

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Here's a link explaining the method:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

I pick & choose what I can from the method. I have to wash with a sulfate shampoo (SD, seborrheic dermatitis), that's why I condition twice after washing. I do use a WT comb on it after it comes out of the towel and before I style it, but that doesn't seem to compromise any wave formation whatsoever. I can't comb when wet and full of conditioner.

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Hmm... this makes me curious. My scalp is quite oily though, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

I have a sulfate-free shampoo and two cone-free conditioners that I could definitely use for this, I think I will alternate CG with my usual routine, and compare the two results.

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Hmm... this makes me curious. My scalp is quite oily though, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

I have a sulfate-free shampoo and two cone-free conditioners that I could definitely use for this, I think I will alternate CG with my usual routine, and compare the two results.

Remember for a hairtyping pic you can't do anything to enhance the waves. Just S/C, pat with towel and let dry.

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Remember for a hairtyping pic you can't do anything to enhance the waves. Just S/C, pat with towel and let dry.

Here it is, I haven't touched it at all!

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/hairtyping_zpsjnpew6uv.jpg

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Looks 1c/2a or possibly even 2a to me. I'm not sure.

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Looks 1c/2a or possibly even 2a to me. I'm not sure.

Yay! At the very least I can put my hair type back to 1c/2a :happydance:

littlestarface
June 17th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Lol you really like wavy hair:p

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I would put you in 2a/2b, actually. It's not straight looking at all, definitely in the 2s, and you have some braid wave lookalikes (classic 2 b wave pattern) there mixed with looser waves (2a).

lazuliblue
June 17th, 2016, 10:00 AM
How often are you planning on alternating the routine? It's just that the effects of the curly girl method tend to get better over time, so your hair will gradually become more moisturised, the waves/curls more defined - it's more of a long-term routine. If you switch too often between sulfate/silicone free and then stuff with sulfates and silicones in you may not get the full benefits of the CG method, although I expect giving your hair a break from sulfates will help.

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Lol you really like wavy hair:p

Of course! I used to have it years ago, it's good to see that it's back :eek:

I would put you in 2a/2b, actually. It's not straight looking at all, definitely in the 2s, and you have some braid wave lookalikes (classic 2 b wave pattern) there mixed with looser waves (2a).

OMG what??! :thud:

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 10:16 AM
How often are you planning on alternating the routine? It's just that the effects of the curly girl method tend to get better over time, so your hair will gradually become more moisturised, the waves/curls more defined - it's more of a long-term routine. If you switch too often between sulfate/silicone free and then stuff with sulfates and silicones in you may not get the full benefits of the CG method, although I expect giving your hair a break from sulfates will help.

Well, I was going to try doing it for as long as possible before my scalp gets really oily, and use my sulfate shampoo to restart my scalp. If I do sulfate free for a while, I usually end up having to wash daily as compared to every other day.

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 10:17 AM
OMG what??! :thud:

LOL! Yep, that was my final hair type choice :D

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 10:17 AM

2b is actually more like braid waves. I don't quite see that.

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 10:31 AM
The big mystery... I definitely have S waves though, all over!

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 10:37 AM
My hair is going through so much of an identity crisis that even other people don't know for sure what it is! :lol:

KittyBird
June 17th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I agree with Lapushka, I think it looks like 1c/2a. My own hair was typed as 2a/2b when I joined, and I don't think it looks like our hair is in the same wave group. ;)

Anya15
June 17th, 2016, 10:59 AM
I'd go with 1c/2a. I see some straight-ish-ness with some S-waves.

Congrats on embracing them! When I was younger I would comb the heck out of my hair so it'd just look like a ball of poof. XD Later, I discovered LHC and that I am a 2b/c...

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I'm going to stick with 1c/2a. My initial guess wasn't wrong then! I'm just glad that I have something going on other than poof! :lol:

Shepherdess
June 17th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Wow! It is great that you are embracing your waves and it is cool to figure out what type it is!! :cheer:

Robot Ninja
June 17th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I'm going to stick with 1c/2a. My initial guess wasn't wrong then! I'm just glad that I have something going on other than poof! :lol:

If it goes straightish and poufy when you comb it out, that seems to be classic 1c/2a right there. This hairtype is also known as "waves that fall out when you look at them funny," at least by me.

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 12:30 PM
If it goes straightish and poufy when you comb it out, that seems to be classic 1c/2a right there. This hairtype is also known as "waves that fall out when you look at them funny," at least by me.

So true... mine are starting to fall a bit as the day passes! So close to 2a, but yet so far :wail:

It definitely is a relief though knowing that I don't need to brush my hair constantly, and now I have a reason not to! Yay to less mechanical damage too!

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 12:33 PM
So true... mine are starting to fall a bit as the day passes! So close to 2a, but yet so far :wail:

Might not be so far away, as you can do plenty of things to enhance the wavy texture. I think it's better to do that rather than brush it straight and end up with frizz because of it. Reading up on the curly girl method is a plus and a must. Get the book by Lorraine Massey, it is an eye opener. Even if you only pick & choose your way through the method, it's still worth it!

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Might not be so far away, as you can do plenty of things to enhance the wavy texture. I think it's better to do that rather than brush it straight and end up with frizz because of it. Reading up on the curly girl method is a plus and a must. Get the book by Lorraine Massey, it is an eye opener. Even if you only pick & choose your way through the method, it's still worth it!

While it was drying, it was driving me nuts not to brush it, but that's the hardest part for me. I thought it would dry all tangled with how piecey it was, but it actually is a lot smoother than if I would have messed with it. I also don't have any products in my hair, and it's cooperating without any additional help!

I will definitely give it a go! If it's possible to enhance what I have and make it stay, then I'll be a happy camper.

samanthaa
June 17th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Well, I was going to try doing it for as long as possible before my scalp gets really oily, and use my sulfate shampoo to restart my scalp. If I do sulfate free for a while, I usually end up having to wash daily as compared to every other day.

Over time, you might find that you can stretch your washes even more on a sulfate-free routine. Some people have reported this, as a sulfate-free shampoo is less stripping and therefore doesn't cause your scalp to overcompensate by producing more oils. YMMV, of course, as some people are opposite and find they need the sulfates to stretch washes, but you should at least experiment to see!

Congrats on your waves :)

Anje
June 17th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Oh, it looks nice! I'd say easily 2a, maybe 2a/2b. I tend to see waves and curls in terms of wavelength, and you're somewhere in between those two, to my eyes.

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Over time, you might find that you can stretch your washes even more on a sulfate-free routine. Some people have reported this, as a sulfate-free shampoo is less stripping and therefore doesn't cause your scalp to overcompensate by producing more oils. YMMV, of course, as some people are opposite and find they need the sulfates to stretch washes, but you should at least experiment to see!

Congrats on your waves :)

I can definitely try to do it again! I'm super excited to try out the CG method and see what happens!

Oh, it looks nice! I'd say easily 2a, maybe 2a/2b. I tend to see waves and curls in terms of wavelength, and you're somewhere in between those two, to my eyes.

Thank you! & thanks for talking me out of my over-brushing! This is so much better!

I consulted the hairtyping stickie, because looking at the reference photo for 1c/2a doesn't look quite right for me. I wish I had a better picture of my hair... but I really do feel like a 2a, solidly. There are some shorter waves mixed in there, but maybe not enough to call it a half and half 2a/2b? This is all so confusing :confused:

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Oh to have an inbetween hair type doesn't need to be half and half. I 100% agree with Anje's thoughts.

Anje
June 17th, 2016, 01:55 PM
I consulted the hairtyping stickie, because looking at the reference photo for 1c/2a doesn't look quite right for me. I wish I had a better picture of my hair... but I really do feel like a 2a, solidly. There are some shorter waves mixed in there, but maybe not enough to call it a half and half 2a/2b? This is all so confusing :confused:

I am the reference photo for 1c/2a, and I'll tell you, my hair is weird. It's more that it is 1c and 2a than in-between, and if you look down the length of the waves, they're actually slow curls. We probably need a better submission for that type, because there was a drawn-out argument that my hair was everything from 1b to 2b when I got it typed. :lol:

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Oh to have an inbetween hair type doesn't need to be half and half. I 100% agree with Anje's thoughts.

So my hopes may be true. Once I get a routine down to enhance them, it may very well be a more solid 2a/2b.

I am the reference photo for 1c/2a, and I'll tell you, my hair is weird. It's more that it is 1c and 2a than in-between, and if you look down the length of the waves, they're actually slow curls. We probably need a better submission for that type, because there was a drawn-out argument that my hair was everything from 1b to 2b when I got it typed. :lol:

That's how I feel right now, I'm so torn!

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/542243_10151969938963109_344584808_n_zpsdw2yokrz.j pg

Here is my hair at the start of my journey, this was September 2013... my hair was a lot wavier back then because I didn't abuse the heck out of it with a brush for it to dry! I think it looks like a solid 2a, not sure about 2b...PS, please ignore that there's a guy photobombing us, it was at a HIM concert :lol:

Robot Ninja
June 17th, 2016, 02:22 PM

So are mine. I have a pretty short wavelength too.

Andthetalltrees
June 17th, 2016, 02:30 PM
I find this interesting! I've recently stopping using normal shampoo and conditioner and I noticed that my hair is seeming....Fluffier? Not really wavy, Just has more body. But I too brush my hair straight after washing and maybe a another time or two to make it dry quicker. Next wash day you've inspired me enough to not brush it at all and see what happens.

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 02:42 PM
I find this interesting! I've recently stopping using normal shampoo and conditioner and I noticed that my hair is seeming....Fluffier? Not really wavy, Just has more body. But I too brush my hair straight after washing and maybe a another time or two to make it dry quicker. Next wash day you've inspired me enough to not brush it at all and see what happens.

Definitely try it, it makes SO much of a difference!

littlestarface
June 17th, 2016, 04:08 PM
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/542243_10151969938963109_344584808_n_zpsdw2yokrz.j pg

Here is my hair at the start of my journey, this was September 2013... my hair was a lot wavier back then because I didn't abuse the heck out of it with a brush for it to dry! I think it looks like a solid 2a, not sure about 2b...PS, please ignore that there's a guy photobombing us, it was at a HIM concert :lol:
Hahaha I love that guy:laugh:

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 04:45 PM
Hahaha I love that guy:laugh:

I know haha :lol: I just couldn't crop him out, it's too perfect xD

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I'm going to settle with 2a for now, but as I start to take proper care of it with the CG method, we'll see where it goes! So excited!! :happydance:

littlestarface
June 17th, 2016, 05:06 PM
I'm going to settle with 2a for now, but as I start to take proper care of it with the CG method, we'll see where it goes! So excited!! :happydance:

Lol now we got the same stats kek:p What you think:eyebrows:? You think our hair looks similar?:eye: I think so, especially after I let mine air dry.

jt623
June 17th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Air dried waves are something I prefer. Henna straightened my hair.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/leeannalove/image_zpsqwxyayni.jpeg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/leeannalove/media/image_zpsqwxyayni.jpeg.html)

MINAKO
June 17th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Yepp, thats way past 1c, definitely 2a.

vampyyri
June 17th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Lol now we got the same stats kek:p What you think:eyebrows:? You think our hair looks similar?:eye: I think so, especially after I let mine air dry.

Hair twins??! :cheese: minus the color though!

Yepp, thats way past 1c, definitely 2a.

That's what I'm thinking, it's too wavy to be a 1c with just a few waves. I have waves all over!

ExpectoPatronum
June 17th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Excuse my being uninformed... but what is the curly girl route?

I'm so sorry for not replying back to you sooner! (I was at work all day). I see the other members did a great job with informing you of the curly girl method! I'd like to thank them and also glad to see you're going to give it a shot!

vampyyri
June 18th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Quick question: Can you use pure aloe gel as a low-hold gel in your hair post-shower? I want to try something to hold the waves better, but I don't have a proper gel.

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Air dried waves are something I prefer. Henna straightened my hair.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/leeannalove/image_zpsqwxyayni.jpeg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/leeannalove/media/image_zpsqwxyayni.jpeg.html)

That's for sure 2a, even 2b'ish. I see a braid wave pattern in that.

mindwiped
June 18th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Yes, aloe will help as a low hold! I'm a 2b/2c (a few spiral curlies) and aloe helps, but for me, I've gotta have more hold to keep the spiral in all day

vampyyri
June 18th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Yes, aloe will help as a low hold! I'm a 2b/2c (a few spiral curlies) and aloe helps, but for me, I've gotta have more hold to keep the spiral in all day

I'm hoping it works, I did it before I saw your comment :lol: So far it seems promising, this is the first time gel of any type has touched my tresses!

Well thanks to my silk pillowcase, my hair was greasy again this morning (I swear I need to stop testing to see if it's the pillowcase, it definitely is), so I have CO-washed my hair with V05 Strawberry, squish to condish'd with Shea Moisture's Shea Butter deep treatment, used some more V05 as a leave-in, and scrunched in some aloe gel (two pumps, Fruit of the Earth)... we shall see what it does today with this CG-friendly method. Pics to come (if it comes out good, that is haha)

vampyyri
June 18th, 2016, 02:00 PM
I can't get a good back photo (DH is working, poor lighting in bathroom), so here's some front ones!

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/5e28d444-ccfb-4bfc-a625-7dd7d1b255a8_zpsywi3ycen.jpg
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/waves2_zpsbyndltxc.jpg

OMG WAVES :happydance:

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I can't get a good back photo (DH is working, poor lighting in bathroom), so here's some front ones!

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/5e28d444-ccfb-4bfc-a625-7dd7d1b255a8_zpsywi3ycen.jpg
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/waves2_zpsbyndltxc.jpg

OMG WAVES :happydance:

Those look like 1c to me, but waves always drop when they're out more. That's normal.

vampyyri
June 18th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Meh... and I tried with a back shot. Excuse the quality on this one =/

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/b28e62e7-eca4-45a6-b011-c04ab8a9ea39_zps94gb1wrs.jpg

ephemeri
June 18th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Meh... and I tried with a back shot. Excuse the quality on this one =/

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac27/Nyssa_Gomez/b28e62e7-eca4-45a6-b011-c04ab8a9ea39_zps94gb1wrs.jpg

Oh it's really gorgeous!

I recently started experimenting with aloe gel too and I have to say I'm very surprised with it! It only gives a small amount of hold but it feels so silky and makes my hair feel great. It feels like there's no product in it. And I don't even feel like I need to wash my hands after I apply it. It makes the skin smooth too. It's kind of amazing!

I like more hold for my curls/wurls so I probably won't use this regularly as a styler but I think it will be my go to to smooth my hair when I want to put it up.

vampyyri
June 18th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Oh it's really gorgeous!

I recently started experimenting with aloe gel too and I have to say I'm very surprised with it! It only gives a small amount of hold but it feels so silky and makes my hair feel great. It feels like there's no product in it. And I don't even feel like I need to wash my hands after I apply it. It makes the skin smooth too. It's kind of amazing!

I like more hold for my curls/wurls so I probably won't use this regularly as a styler but I think it will be my go to to smooth my hair when I want to put it up.

Thank you!

It really made my hair silky and shiny, it's crazy that a month ago I never would have thought to use it in my hair! After I was done putting it in my hair, I used the remainder from what was on my hands on my legs after shaving, and the irritation was gone. I love that it's multipurpose!

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 02:34 PM
I hope you have fun trying out the curly girl method, V! Let us know how it goes. :D

notnotevil
June 18th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Thank you!

It really made my hair silky and shiny, it's crazy that a month ago I never would have thought to use it in my hair! After I was done putting it in my hair, I used the remainder from what was on my hands on my legs after shaving, and the irritation was gone. I love that it's multipurpose!

That's pretty cool- I used to use aloe vera gel for my acne and then use what's left on my hands to tame frizz in my hair. I second the love for its versatility!
Your experience sure inspires me to try leaving my hair alone a bit too. The waves look lovely on your hair :) I use lots of product and brush it a lot as well, I try to weigh it down. I guess I'll see how it goes on the next wash.

Anya15
June 19th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Aloe gel is brilliant. I use it post wash, because I've cut out conditioner entirely until the humidity levels go down a bit, and it makes my hair super soft. :) it's also in my mister bottle! I use it on my face and skin too, it's so soothing.

Your waves are very pretty! I think I'd put you at a 2a. It may also depend on the weather-is it humid where you are?
And it's totally normal for waves to drop after a while. My avatar pic is a hairtyping photo-you can see how much wave I have there, but on the second day my waves look like yours. Unfortunately our hair doesn't stay like the curlies. :(