PDA

View Full Version : Hemline Advice?

czech it out
June 16th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Hi LHC - I would love to hear your advice for my hemline shape if you have any to offer! It's about time for my yearly trim, and I'm not sure whether I should stay with a U shaped hemline (my constant for the last 5 years) or go for a V shape. I've been taking bellydance lessons and it seems like most famous dancers have V hemlines - it's sparked my interest!

There are a few thing's I'm not really clear on (that LHC searches didn't seem to address):

Do V hemlines generally always have layers? Just looking at photos and videos, I only seem to see layered Vs.

Is there an ideal length for a V cut? My length is a few inches past tailbone and I'm wondering if that's too long to really suit a V shape.

Additionally, my hair is a little thin and gets "stringy" at the ends - it clump together in locks rather than forming a smooth hemline. I was wondering if a V shape would help with that as well.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your wisdoms. :heart:

Here's a recent pic that shows my current hemline:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23563&d=1466125332

turtlelover
June 16th, 2016, 07:21 PM
That already looks pretty V-shaped to me. I'd leave it alone, personally. I think it is nice as it is!

spidermom
June 16th, 2016, 08:02 PM
I can show you my hair at about that length with a V:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/eaea2047-a2bd-4da7-8537-f3f71cff245e_zps1564ae06.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/eaea2047-a2bd-4da7-8537-f3f71cff245e_zps1564ae06.jpg.html)

Pretty eh? But so is yours.

Angela_Rose
June 16th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Oh, I think your hemline is lovely as-is, and I probably would not have called your existing hemline U-shaped.

Deborah
June 16th, 2016, 08:51 PM
I think a U shape is prettier for your hair.

Iamsiam
June 16th, 2016, 08:58 PM
V hemlines are pretty, but it's harder to grow out, there'd be a tonne of micro trims involved. Personally, I'd stay with the u shape. But that's just me

Betazed
June 16th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Your hem (and length) is my dream/goal so I also vote for leaving it as-is. I'm so envious of your gorgeous hair! :o

school of fish
June 16th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Speaking as one bellydancer to another... ;)

I believe you should do what you feel looks best on you, not try to emulate another dancer's look. I'm not sure what style you're learning or look you're drawn to, but I can tell you that virtually all the current dancers on the Cairo scene are wearing extentions and wigs - that's not their natural hair :) And after years of dancing professionally and making my share of aesthetic mistakes, I've come to believe that the dancers who look most striking are the ones who play up their own unique features and attributes.

I personally favour a blunt hemline for myself, for many reasons. Ultimately it's about what looks thickest and fullest on me with my fine, stringy-prone hair. A blunt hemline is also more protective for me - it's a strength-in-numbers game for me so any kind of layering weakens the herd. I gave up long ago on the concept of root volume and have instead delivered the drama through length, colour and silky texture.

It's been my personal experience that a V-hem does NOT help the stringiness issue (ask me how I know, haha). YMMV on that one, however - it may be a very individual thing.

There are a bunch of bellydancers on the board - glad to know another one's been hooked! ;)

spidermom
June 16th, 2016, 09:39 PM
Oh, and P.S. - I think most V-hems involve layering. Mine did.

littlestarface
June 16th, 2016, 09:53 PM
I can show you my hair at about that length with a V:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/eaea2047-a2bd-4da7-8537-f3f71cff245e_zps1564ae06.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/eaea2047-a2bd-4da7-8537-f3f71cff245e_zps1564ae06.jpg.html)

Pretty eh? But so is yours.

Beautiful! I'm surprised you cut your hair so much when it's so gorgeous but I guess that's why it's so pretty.

KittyBird
June 17th, 2016, 12:46 AM
I didn't layer my hair when I cut the V-hemline, but I may have some left from the last time I layered my hair (more than a year ago, when I had a U-hem). I think yours look really nice as it is, I really like the U-shape. I don't think a V-hem would stop your hair from clumping. I've had blunt, U- and V-hems, and my ends always do the same thing.

Moonfall
June 17th, 2016, 01:19 AM
Your hem (and length) is my dream/goal so I also vote for leaving it as-is. I'm so envious of your gorgeous hair! :o

I totally feel the same!

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 04:08 AM
Hi LHC - I would love to hear your advice for my hemline shape if you have any to offer! It's about time for my yearly trim, and I'm not sure whether I should stay with a U shaped hemline (my constant for the last 5 years) or go for a V shape. I've been taking bellydance lessons and it seems like most famous dancers have V hemlines - it's sparked my interest!

There are a few thing's I'm not really clear on (that LHC searches didn't seem to address):

Do V hemlines generally always have layers? Just looking at photos and videos, I only seem to see layered Vs.

Is there an ideal length for a V cut? My length is a few inches past tailbone and I'm wondering if that's too long to really suit a V shape.

Additionally, my hair is a little thin and gets "stringy" at the ends - it clump together in locks rather than forming a smooth hemline. I was wondering if a V shape would help with that as well.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your wisdoms. :heart:

Here's a recent pic that shows my current hemline:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23563&d=1466125332

I think that kind of falls like a V. Might be a deep U, and that could be why.

That already looks pretty V-shaped to me. I'd leave it alone, personally. I think it is nice as it is!

Yes! I see no reason for a trim, unless you have a ton of splits or white dots. Otherwise, just leave it be. :)

Oh, and P.S. - I think most V-hems involve layering. Mine did.

If you follow Feye's method for a V then there is no layering involved whatsoever.

Darkhorse1
June 17th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I used to have a V Shaped hemline, but the reason it's V shaped at the back isn't due to layers persay, it's how the hair lays--when you pull all of your hair to the back, the side hair is losing a bit of length. So, the theory is, the longer the back grows(Which is does in general as that's where the hair grows fastest according to my hair dresser), the hemline when people pull hair to the back, will look like a V or U. A U shape is more what I'd deem a 'managed' or 'neatened' version of a V hemline--I refused to let people touch my hair after many hair cuts gone bad, and I had a Jane Seymour type hemline as a teen(Jane from her earlier work in the 70s and early 80s). I finally parted with 5 inches of that V to make a blunt hemline in the mid 80s when I started riding more and found that the added length was a lot to care for---and HOT with high humidexes becoming a normal part of our summers(my hair was still hip bone length, but not long enough for me to sit on anymore ;) ) . Hope that helps! :)

Anje
June 17th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I really like the U on you, honestly. I tend to think that straighter hair looks better in a blunt cut or a U, and Vs look progressively better with increasingly curly hair. Fairytale ends also look amazing with curls, IMO. (Me, I've got fairytale ends and straightish hair, because it's that or have shorter hair, apparently. I don't know, ask my hair! It clearly wants to be fairytaled, and I finally quit fighting it.)

No idea on the stringy ends. I get them too.

czech it out
June 26th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Thank you to all who offered advice! You have convinced me to step awaaay from the scissors - at least in the sense that I won't be changing up the hemline. I knew you guys would help me figure out the best course of action. :joy:

czech it out
June 26th, 2016, 04:14 PM
I totally feel the same!

Moonfall and Betazed, you are too kind! It's true that benign neglect (as they say here) will get you to your goal. You'll be to my length in no time!

czech it out
June 26th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Speaking as one bellydancer to another... ;)

I believe you should do what you feel looks best on you, not try to emulate another dancer's look. I'm not sure what style you're learning or look you're drawn to, but I can tell you that virtually all the current dancers on the Cairo scene are wearing extentions and wigs - that's not their natural hair :) And after years of dancing professionally and making my share of aesthetic mistakes, I've come to believe that the dancers who look most striking are the ones who play up their own unique features and attributes.

I personally favour a blunt hemline for myself, for many reasons. Ultimately it's about what looks thickest and fullest on me with my fine, stringy-prone hair. A blunt hemline is also more protective for me - it's a strength-in-numbers game for me so any kind of layering weakens the herd. I gave up long ago on the concept of root volume and have instead delivered the drama through length, colour and silky texture.

It's been my personal experience that a V-hem does NOT help the stringiness issue (ask me how I know, haha). YMMV on that one, however - it may be a very individual thing.

There are a bunch of bellydancers on the board - glad to know another one's been hooked! ;)

I was sorta hoping to get a belly specific response! :o Hearing that most dancers wear wigs or extensions certainly took me by surprise! I'm studying Egyptian style dance so that tidbit is definitely applicable to those I've seen. I guess there's always more to performance than meets the eye.
I think the blunt hemline looks lovely on you, and I've never really thought of a hemline like a "numbers game" - it makes sense though. Thanks for your detailed response, and yes - I've been hooked! In fact, I just found out I can move up to an intermediate level from the beginner classes I've been taking. :joy:

school of fish
June 26th, 2016, 05:13 PM
I was sorta hoping to get a belly specific response! :o Hearing that most dancers wear wigs or extensions certainly took me by surprise! I'm studying Egyptian style dance so that tidbit is definitely applicable to those I've seen. I guess there's always more to performance than meets the eye.
I think the blunt hemline looks lovely on you, and I've never really thought of a hemline like a "numbers game" - it makes sense though. Thanks for your detailed response, and yes - I've been hooked! In fact, I just found out I can move up to an intermediate level from the beginner classes I've been taking. :joy:

I do Egyptian too ;) I assure you - Randa, Aziza, Dina, Camelia, Luna, Aleya, etc... when they're working they're all wearing someone else's hair, haha! It's just part of the current Cairo aesthetic, along with those angry birds eyebrows and bras hiked up to throat-level ;) It wasn't like that in the old days - the Egyptian aesthetic has just evolved to the current preference for artifice. Samia, Taheya, Souheir, Fifi, Mona, Naima, etc... they wore their own hair. In the 80s some of them wore curls brushed out to crazy frizzball, but it was their *own* crazy frizzball ;)

But - we're not working in Cairo so we have the luxury of wearing and caring for our hair the way we like! I prefer to dance with my real hair, myself :)

Congrats on leveling up! Enjoy your dancing :D