PDA

View Full Version : Cool style: hair-friendly, no teasing beehive-ish

Arctic
June 16th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I found this beautiful clever, hair friendly style, that is easy and gives a very different kind of look (at least compared to how I usually style my hair). I haven't tried it yet, my hair might not be long enough for this yet, but I though I'd share. I pinned it for later reference. :)

http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2015/12/easy-no-tease-braided-bouffant.html

nalgena
June 16th, 2016, 03:14 PM
It looks beautiful, but I think my hair is not nearly thick enough to make it look good.

lillielil
June 16th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Ditto. A single braid on my hair is equivalent to one of her braids in that tutorial and those are probably 1/4 of her hair each. That said, I'll probably still try this at some point. In construction it seems to be an upside-down tuck.

lapushka
June 16th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Neat! I like how the half-up is turned into a bouffant, and then the rest of the hair, split into two and then draped like milkmaid braids. I bet you could just make a second ponytail with the hair underneath and create an even bigger bouffant!

Arctic
June 16th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Nalgena and lillielil - It doesn't have to end up looking exactly like hers, skinnier braids would still look beautiful accents! Try it out, use this as an inspiration, tweak it to suit your hair, and maybe you will get pleasantly surprised!

Lapushka that's a great idea about turning all of the hair into pouffant! Maybe then tyeing a skinny scarf around the head instead of those braids, that could look really nice!

school of fish
June 16th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Oh that's nice!!! I'm not fond of most braids on myself so I may try a variation where you divide the lower section hair in 2 sections, cross them at the back and then maybe twist each section and wrap them overtop like she did the braids... must try!

Awesome find, Arctic!

meteor
June 16th, 2016, 03:40 PM
That's pretty cool! Thanks so much for sharing!
I remember seeing a very similar trick in a couple of YouTube videos, but they used a braid instead of a ponytail there, which I think can be safer (because when you roll up a braid, there is less tangling potential compared to rolling up a ponytail in a ball/bun), but I think a ponytail rolled up can create a fluffier/bigger bump with less risk of braid intersections showing through the hair on the surface.

(ETA: here is one of the videos, in case anybody is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DnCi6pY1P4)

diddiedaisy
June 16th, 2016, 04:21 PM
That's a great idea. My hair is too thin for it, I might try and steal the bouffant idea but find something else to do with the remaining hair. Maybe a mini french twist or something.

ephemeri
June 16th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I can't wait until my hair is long enough to try this! The braids wouldn't reach the front from the back. :(

DoomKitty
June 16th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Ooh thats pretty Arctic! Now to wait for my hair to be long enough...it's definitely thick enough lol

parkmikii
June 16th, 2016, 10:34 PM
I have half her thickness lol, but probably it could work for me with a hair rat.

Anya15
June 16th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Wow finally an updo that works for thick haired people! :D

My hair needs to be a bit longer for the braids to go all the way around my head, and my layers could make it a bit messy, but I am going to try this asap.

Nesoi
June 17th, 2016, 12:15 AM
Cool! I'm going to try this. I have a ton of weddings coming up and think this would be a suitable style!

Shepherdess
June 17th, 2016, 12:27 AM
That is such a pretty and elegant style! Thank you for sharing it! :) I should try it sometime if I can. :)

TatsuOni
June 17th, 2016, 01:39 AM
Thank you for sharing!:) I'm already having ideas of variations of this style that I wanna try some day:)

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 01:53 AM
I'm glad so many of you find this inspiring!

I have yet to try it, but I think for my own hair - which is on the thinner and sparser side, with a double crown - the biggest problem would be making the pouffant. I remember trying somewhat similar pouffant years ago (when my hair was its thickest) and I had problems covering the stuffed up hair under the crown/canopy hair.

The braids don't need to be thick, IMHO, to be pretty. Think of those braided headbands that are sold in stores, they are pretty thin and still very nice looking. And for super long hair, Maybe only one braid could be used, to wrap around the whole head. That would give thickness to the braid but needs impressive lengths.

I love reading the modification ideas, keep them coming! Tatsuoni too, do share your ideas, who knows it might be just the thing that makes this work for someone!

TatsuOni
June 17th, 2016, 02:00 AM
I'm glad so many of you find this inspiring!

I have yet to try it, but I think for my own hair - which is on the thinner and sparser side, with a double crown - the biggest problem would be making the pouffant. I remember trying somewhat similar pouffant years ago (when my hair was its thickest) and I had problems covering the stuffed up hair under the crown/canopy hair.

The braids don't need to be thick, IMHO, to be pretty. Think of those braided headbands that are sold in stores, they are pretty thin and still very nice looking. And for super long hair, Maybe only one braid could be used, to wrap around the whole head. That would give thickness to the braid but needs impressive lengths.

I love reading the modification ideas, keep them coming! Tatsuoni too, do share your ideas, who knows it might be just the thing that makes this work for someone!

If I just get it done some day I will share some pictures:) But when I plan on doing something, it sometimes get done quickly and sometimes not so quickly:p

But until then I wanna see picutres of others trying this style or variations of it:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 02:01 AM
Some variations and modification ideas that have come up so far:

I bet you could just make a second ponytail with the hair underneath and create an even bigger bouffant!

It doesn't have to end up looking exactly like hers, skinnier braids would still look beautiful accents!

[B]Lapushka that's a great idea about turning all of the hair into pouffant! Maybe then tyeing a skinny scarf around the head instead of those braids, that could look really nice!

I may try a variation where you divide the lower section hair in 2 sections, cross them at the back and then maybe twist each section and wrap them overtop like she did the braids.

I remember seeing a very similar trick in a couple of YouTube videos, but they used a braid instead of a ponytail there, which I think can be safer (because when you roll up a braid, there is less tangling potential compared to rolling up a ponytail in a ball/bun), but I think a ponytail rolled up can create a fluffier/bigger bump with less risk of braid intersections showing through the hair on the surface.

(ETA: here is one of the videos, in case anybody is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DnCi6pY1P4)

I might try and steal the bouffant idea but find something else to do with the remaining hair. Maybe a mini french twist or something.

I have half her thickness lol, but probably it could work for me with a hair rat.

gustavonut
June 17th, 2016, 03:45 AM
That's really pretty. Too bad I won't be able to do it for a few more years though :D

PixieP
June 17th, 2016, 04:51 AM
I don't quite understand how she makes the bouffant, I wish it was a video tutorial, I struggle with written tutorials!

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Hey I did it! With APL thin-ish hair :D

Granted more length would really help to make the bouffant bigger, and I needed to arrange the braids tightly around the mini bouffant, and they still were tiiiny bit too short to hide the braid tassles, so I clipped a small tige boule barette to hide them. The bouffant is super-mini, ha ha! With my thickness I do't think my bouffant would ever be very big, even with much longer hair with this method though, I just don't have lot of hair to cover the tucked under ponytail (and having heavily layered hair around the face doesn't help either).

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/LingonberryMist/Hiukset/20160617%20034-muoks-sm-arctic_zpskgasoa7f.jpg

TatsuOni
June 17th, 2016, 04:58 AM

Granted more length would really help to make the bouffant bigger, and I needed to arrange the braids tightly around the mini bouffant, and they still were tiiiny bit too short to hide the braid tassles, so I clipped a small tige boule barette to hide them. The bouffant is super-mini, ha ha! With my thickness I do't think my bouffant would ever be very big, even with much longer hair with this method though, I just don't have lot of hair to cover the tucked under ponytail (and having heavily layered hair around the face doesn't help either).

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/LingonberryMist/Hiukset/20160617%20034-muoks-sm-arctic_zpskgasoa7f.jpg

It looks very nice!:)

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 04:59 AM
I don't quite understand how she makes the bouffant, I wish it was a video tutorial, I struggle with written tutorials!

She makes a roll of the tail and tucks it under the pocket created by the half up, so it's like a hair rat, then arranges it so the shape is right.

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 05:21 AM
It looks very nice!:)

Pixie, here is one video showing a similar tucking under: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLpGV4JYU8

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 05:25 AM
Ha ha, this is clever, using shower flower as abouffant stuffer!!!

http://www.freckled-fox.com/2012/10/hair-tutorial-amy-winehouse-beehive_13.html

school of fish
June 17th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Okay, tried this this morning and have concluded that I just don't have the thickness to make that bouffant 'bouffe' to my unrealistic standards ;) ... BUT the same kind of sectioning using a flipped cinnabun instead of the stuffed pony produced a much bouffier (and sturdier) result! I also prefered the look of 1 braid wrapped around instead of 2 - although of course it requires a certain amount of length to make that happen.

For anyone whose thickness/density produces a limp, meagre bouffe (like mine), give a flipped bun variation a try!

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Okay, tried this this morning and have concluded that I just don't have the thickness to make that bouffant 'bouffe' to my unrealistic standards ;) ... BUT the same kind of sectioning using a flipped cinnabun instead of the stuffed pony produced a much bouffier (and sturdier) result! I also prefered the look of 1 braid wrapped around instead of 2 - although of course it requires a certain amount of length to make that happen.

For anyone whose thickness/density produces a limp, meagre bouffe (like mine), give a flipped bun variation a try!

Can you explain in more detail how you did it?

school of fish
June 17th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Can you explain in more detail how you did it?

Sure, I'll do my best! :D

I started by sectioning my hair as for a half-up at about top-of-ear level, just like in the tutorial. I then twisted the upper section and made a loose-but-tight cinnabun - meaning that I kept the coils tightish but left a bit of play between the bun and my scalp. Next, I flipped the bun upward, which tightens that bit of space between bun and scalp and creates the 'stuffing' for the bouffant (the look is reminiscent of a french twist). I tucked and fluffed the whole affair into a pleasing arrangement, smoothing the overlayer and pushing the bouffe upward to give maximum visual lift from the front, then secured it with spin pins.

I braided the remaining lower half and just wound that around my head, hairband style. With my length I can reach that braid the whole way around and pin it at the nape where the braid starts - just a variation on the tutorial :)

Hope that description makes some sense! I believe a search of the site for 'flipped bun' or 'seashell bun' will produce some tutorial results on the flipping method. I came across the flipped bun idea when I was searching for french twist variations - for my ultra-slippy, fine, escape artist hair, a flipped bun is the ONLY way to get that smooth, rolled, bouffey effect of the french twist :)

Anya15
June 17th, 2016, 06:17 AM
She just tucks the half-up-pony-thing under itself, PixieP. :)

ETA: When you guys do these wrapped-round braid styles, how do you hide the tassels? I try and pin mine into submission but they just keep sticking out, and they are also fairly thick which doesn't help. (Not sure if I can do anything about the thickness.)

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 06:44 AM
Sure, I'll do my best! :D

I started by sectioning my hair as for a half-up at about top-of-ear level, just like in the tutorial. I then twisted the upper section and made a loose-but-tight cinnabun - meaning that I kept the coils tightish but left a bit of play between the bun and my scalp. Next, I flipped the bun upward, which tightens that bit of space between bun and scalp and creates the 'stuffing' for the bouffant (the look is reminiscent of a french twist). I tucked and fluffed the whole affair into a pleasing arrangement, smoothing the overlayer and pushing the bouffe upward to give maximum visual lift from the front, then secured it with spin pins.

I braided the remaining lower half and just wound that around my head, hairband style. With my length I can reach that braid the whole way around and pin it at the nape where the braid starts - just a variation on the tutorial :)

Hope that description makes some sense! I believe a search of the site for 'flipped bun' or 'seashell bun' will produce some tutorial results on the flipping method. I came across the flipped bun idea when I was searching for french twist variations - for my ultra-slippy, fine, escape artist hair, a flipped bun is the ONLY way to get that smooth, rolled, bouffey effect of the french twist :)

Thanks! I know how to make flipped cinnabun, bun I still can't see how it could form a bouffant that is smooth on top. I might just have to try it, maybe it will "open" to me then. Yeah the one braid is the way I might go too if I'd have the length; less to pin, more thickes in the braid.

I crossed my braids at the back, it gave nice effect too.

ETA: When you guys do these wrapped-round braid styles, how do you hide the tassels? I try and pin mine into submission but they just keep sticking out, and they are also fairly thick which doesn't help. (Not sure if I can do anything about the thickness.)

I usually just hide mine under the other braid, but the way I did mine on the photo I posted, I crossed my braids at the back which shortened them even more, and I didn't have room to cover the tassles with the other braids this time. So, I used a sparkly barette to cover the tassles/elastics.

I can imagine thinner ends are easier to tuck under but on the other hand a thicker braids gives more coverage to the tucked under tassle and elastics, so all thicknesses seem to have their advantages.

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 08:02 AM
OK I tried the flipped bun and immediately understood how it worked. Somehow I had problem envisioning it. Yes it does give bigger boufffant, and was easy to make (no elastics!) but I personally don't have enough hair to cover it, the bun coils show through no matter how I tried to arrange the hair. But for those of you who do have thicker/denser hair, do try the flipped cinnabun! For me, it looks like only small pouffants are possible. It's ok cause I have long face, so super hights wouldn't even be flattering to me.

school of fish
June 17th, 2016, 08:43 AM
OK I tried the flipped bun and immediately understood how it worked. Somehow I had problem envisioning it. Yes it does give bigger boufffant, and was easy to make (no elastics!) but I personally don't have enough hair to cover it, the bun coils show through no matter how I tried to arrange the hair. But for those of you who do have thicker/denser hair, do try the flipped cinnabun! For me, it looks like only small pouffants are possible. It's ok cause I have long face, so super hights wouldn't even be flattering to me.

The coils do show through somewhat for me too, but I just fluff everything around to make it look deliberate. I sort of slide the flipped underside of the hair up and over the bun coils as much as reasonable, so it doesn't have the same 'seashell' effect as the classic flipped bun, but you can still make out the bun in there. On me it looks kind of artfully coiled/wrapped/bouffed, and I doubt I could get it to look exactly the same way twice, haha!!

I like it! It's something I never would have thought of myself (I'm horribly hair-style challenged) so I'm so glad you posted this tutorial :D

samanthaa
June 17th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Ooh, it's pretty! But I agree about my hair not being thick enough to pull something like this off...

I'll probably try it just to try it though :P

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 09:36 AM
The coils do show through somewhat for me too, but I just fluff everything around to make it look deliberate. I sort of slide the flipped underside of the hair up and over the bun coils as much as reasonable, so it doesn't have the same 'seashell' effect as the classic flipped bun, but you can still make out the bun in there. On me it looks kind of artfully coiled/wrapped/bouffed, and I doubt I could get it to look exactly the same way twice, haha!!

I like it! It's something I never would have thought of myself (I'm horribly hair-style challenged) so I'm so glad you posted this tutorial :D

When I saw the tutorial I immediately thought that LHCers would appreciate it. :D Your bun idea is very good, I'll have to play around with it more. I was trying to make is smooth but if I go for the deliberately messy look it might just work!

BTW I came up with another variation. Since my braids are too short for this style (unless I pin them super close to the bouffant) I made one of my trys - it was actually the one where I tried the flipped cinnabun - such, that I made a big braid flower/rosette of the two thin rope braids (or were they 3-strand braids, can't remember anymore) under the bouffant at the back. It looked really nice! If i would have pancaked the small braids it would have been even more awesome!

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Some variations and modification ideas that have come up so far (second tally):

I bet you could just make a second ponytail with the hair underneath and create an even bigger bouffant!

It doesn't have to end up looking exactly like hers, skinnier braids would still look beautiful accents!

[B]Lapushka that's a great idea about turning all of the hair into pouffant! Maybe then tyeing a skinny scarf around the head instead of those braids, that could look really nice!

I may try a variation where you divide the lower section hair in 2 sections, cross them at the back and then maybe twist each section and wrap them overtop like she did the braids.

I might try and steal the bouffant idea but find something else to do with the remaining hair. Maybe a mini french twist or something.

Here is one video showing a similar tucking under: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLpGV4JYU8

Ha ha, this is clever, using shower flower as abouffant stuffer!!!

http://www.freckled-fox.com/2012/10/hair-tutorial-amy-winehouse-beehive_13.html

the same kind of sectioning using a flipped cinnabun instead of the stuffed pony produced a much bouffier (and sturdier) result! I also prefered the look of 1 braid wrapped around instead of 2 - although of course it requires a certain amount of length to make that happen.

I came up with another variation. I made a big, flat braid flower/rosette of two thin rope braids (or were they 3-strand braids, can't remember anymore) under the bouffant at the back. It looked really nice! If would have pancaked the small braids it would have been even more awesome!

meteor
June 17th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Oh, since we are talking about different ways of creating "beehive-ish" styles, here is another idea: this pinless updo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08Ikn5lcyA

It uses a bit of hair on the side (the higher up you take the strands, the higher up the "bouffant" will be placed) to push the bun into, like a pocket. It creates a very large style, especially with thicker and/or longer hair, and it's slightly reminiscent of a French Twist.

When you guys do these wrapped-round braid styles, how do you hide the tassels? I try and pin mine into submission but they just keep sticking out, and they are also fairly thick which doesn't help. (Not sure if I can do anything about the thickness.)

Do you have layers? If so, hairs are very likely to be sticking out no matter what, I'm afraid. :flower: Of course, you can always use bobby pins and gel, but frankly I always let my ends stick out if they don't tuck in... there is not much that can be done about it IMHO. If you have something like a scarf or paranda or wide ribbons, they can actually help a bit - to center and *wrap* the ends slightly as the braids are folded over and pinned - but it takes a bit of practice, too.

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 11:54 AM
That's cool trick on the video, Meteor!

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 12:11 PM
This is the version Diddiedaisy came up with, and on my hair I like it the best of the ones I've tried today. I was able to stuff practically ALL my hair under there, thanks to making a partial french twist at the back, and tucking also those ends under the bump! Now it feels like I have enough hair, especially combined with some styling product!!! Thumbs up and I will take this into my regular repertoire of styles!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/LingonberryMist/Hiukset/20160617%20063-muoks-sm-arctic_zpsfkzwwk1o.jpg

Seems to me that the ponytail holder is one of the biggies to get this to work on my hair. I have tried several variations without one today, but the ones secured with an elastic simply tend to come out the best looking. This one on that photo is done otherwise the same way as the original tutorial, but added the twist at the back instead of braids (and also used small U-shaped pins in the front to "stich a row" at the front edge of the bouffant, to give shape and definitions to the bouffant. This seems to be more flattering to my face than allowing the bouffant start neared the hairline, which make my headshape look weird. A row of U-pin "stitches" took care of that problem. It gives the same effect as the braids going over the head have in the original tutorial). Basically this is a whole different hair style than the original, but the starting construction is the same. (PS. I have hair powder at the bouffant area also.)

ETA: Oh and another thing that was important to me: When adjusting the stuffed under hair to a pleasing shape, I noticed that if I tried to do that from the outside my hair covering the bouffant was pushed aside and the bump became ugly. But before I pinned it, adjusting the stuffing from the inside helped to keep the outside layer of hair intact better. Also, Using U-pins to secure the whole thing (in addition to that one elastic) was one of the keys to success for me. I have noticed this with other poofy buns too, bobby pins and sometimes even spin pins will make the bun more compact, where-as the U-shaped pins allow the poofiness and won't flatten the style.

Shepherdess
June 17th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Mine did not turn out like the tutorial...I have trouble putting anything high up on my head, so I didn't realize how low it was until I had already finished it, and I'm too lazy to try redoing it (I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it high up on my head anyway). Here is the end result though:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23584&d=1466192190

It's kind of hard to stuff the hair in without it being lumpy. I had to sort of roll it up into a bun, and then tuck it in. :p

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 01:36 PM
It's absolutely beautiful Shepherdess! I head you on updos tending to get too low, if I really want a high one I need to check the mirror several times, otherwise it will be not-so-high version.

Sort of relieved to hear that even iii thickness had the bouffant turn lumpy. It might just be a nature of the beast this type of a updo/technique. But at least in your bouffant, if there are bumps (looks like pretty waves! :eye:) they only add to the charm!

Shepherdess
June 17th, 2016, 01:43 PM
This is the version Diddiedaisy came up with, and on my hair I like it the best of the ones I've tried today. I was able to stuff practically ALL my hair under there, thanks to making a partial french twist at the back, and tucking also those ends under the bump! Now it feels like I have enough hair, especially combined with some styling product!!! Thumbs up and I will take this into my regular repertoire of styles!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc33/LingonberryMist/Hiukset/20160617%20063-muoks-sm-arctic_zpsfkzwwk1o.jpg

Seems to me that the ponytail holder is one of the biggies to get this to work on my hair. I have tried several variations without one today, but the ones secured with an elastic simply tend to come out the best looking. This one on that photo is done otherwise the same way as the original tutorial, but added the twist at the back instead of braids (and also used small U-shaped pins in the front to "stich a row" at the front edge of the bouffant, to give shape and definitions to the bouffant. This seems to be more flattering to my face than allowing the bouffant start neared the hairline, which make my headshape look weird. A row of U-pin "stitches" took care of that problem. It gives the same effect as the braids going over the head have in the original tutorial). Basically this is a whole different hair style than the original, but the starting construction is the same. (PS. I have hair powder at the bouffant area also.)

ETA: Oh and another thing that was important to me: When adjusting the stuffed under hair to a pleasing shape, I noticed that if I tried to do that from the outside my hair covering the bouffant was pushed aside and the bump became ugly. But before I pinned it, adjusting the stuffing from the inside helped to keep the outside layer of hair intact better. Also, Using U-pins to secure the whole thing (in addition to that one elastic) was one of the keys to success for me. I have noticed this with other poofy buns too, bobby pins and sometimes even spin pins will make the bun more compact, where-as the U-shaped pins allow the poofiness and won't flatten the style.
Oh, I think that this is very pretty how you did it! And I love your hair color, so nice! :D It really is a cute hairstyle and so unique, isn't it? :D I'm glad that you shared it, since I have been needing to try out new things too. :)

It's absolutely beautiful Shepherdess! I head you on updos tending to get too low, if I really want a high one I need to check the mirror several times, otherwise it will be not-so-high version.

Sort of relieved to hear that even iii thickness had the bouffant turn lumpy. It might just be a nature of the beast this type of a updo/technique. But at least in your bouffant, if there are bumps (looks like pretty waves! :eye:) they only add to the charm!
Thank you! :) Yeah, they are hard to put up high sometimes it seems. haha. :D

That could be! I think I might have tried to stuff too much hair into it, so that might have been my problem with it being lumpy too. I'm glad that you think so, thank you very much! :)

AZDesertRose
June 17th, 2016, 01:50 PM
This forum needs a "Like" function! So many cute 'dos! :D

Arctic
June 17th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Shepherdess - Thank you and thank you! I am super pleased with that french twist version myself, it just made me feel awesome! Yes this bouffant gives such a nice effect, I am always looking for styles that look different from the front, too, and this is one of them! The colour I like too, we'll see how fast it's going to fade! I've been taking hair photos a lot now that the dye is fresh. :D

AZDesertRose I agree, like button would be great! We have so many great variation ideas in this thread, too - something for everyone almost!

littlestarface
June 17th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I tried it I wanted to see if I could do it and I did. I couldn't fit one of those clear elastics they just break when I try to put one on.
http://i.imgur.com/bf1zKYP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TKLAf0P.jpg

spidermom
June 17th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Wow, love it! I could totally pull that off.

spidermom
June 17th, 2016, 07:37 PM
I tried it I wanted to see if I could do it and I did. I couldn't fit one of those clear elastics they just break when I try to put one on.

Well done you!

littlestarface
June 17th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Well done you!

Thanks spidermom!

Shepherdess
June 18th, 2016, 01:20 AM
littlestarface, that is gorgeous and your hair is so shiny! Nicely done! :)

Arctic
June 18th, 2016, 02:25 AM

Blingingly shiny and looks beautiful!

Arctic
June 18th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Wow, love it! I could totally pull that off.

Yes you could, it would look awesome in your hair! :eyebrows:

Nesoi
June 18th, 2016, 06:01 AM
I love everyone's attempts!

I tried it. Here is my version. I am very new to braiding and any updos that aren't a lazy wrap bun, plus I have directionally challenged hair so it's kind of messy...I like how it highlights my natural streaks though and I feel encouraged that with practice I could do it neater. I love the style - on me it didn't come out like a beehive really but it made me feel like I'm in Pride and Prejudice!

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad235/ohnointernetto/Updo_zpskbz9nsqt.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/ohnointernetto/media/Updo_zpskbz9nsqt.jpg.html)

Arctic
June 18th, 2016, 06:29 AM
I love everyone's attempts!

I tried it. Here is my version. I am very new to braiding and any updos that aren't a lazy wrap bun, plus I have directionally challenged hair so it's kind of messy...I like how it highlights my natural streaks though and I feel encouraged that with practice I could do it neater. I love the style - on me it didn't come out like a beehive really but it made me feel like I'm in Pride and Prejudice!

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad235/ohnointernetto/Updo_zpskbz9nsqt.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/ohnointernetto/media/Updo_zpskbz9nsqt.jpg.html)

Looks great! Yes I felt very elegant too.

From the several tries of the bouffant I did yesterday, I noticed it's very difficult to get it stay erect, it easily tends to shift towards the back of the head, and go a little flat. This didn't happen with my last version (the french twist combo one), which was one of the reasons I liked it the most. However I'm not sure why it did stay boofy/high, possibly because I also used hair powder? Does anyone have any tricks how to get the bouffant stay pointing upwards?

AZDesertRose
June 18th, 2016, 07:22 AM
I sent my mom the linked text tutorials, because she remembers the original bouffant/beehive hairdos (she graduated from high school in 1966), and she got a huge kick out of them. She said she thought it was cool that people were finding a way to get the look without all the back-combing.

Back in the day, Mom also totally cheated on the bubble/flip hairdo and wore a fall; she'd style the front of her hair (the bangs/fringe area, basically) and wear a partial wig for the bubble part, because a) she couldn't be bothered to tease it every morning and b) she has the same problem I do (seeing as I more or less inherited her hair genes, LOL) with hair that doesn't have a consistent curl pattern, so getting it to all flip the same direction was a nightmare.

Arctic
June 18th, 2016, 07:25 AM
I sent my mom the linked text tutorials, because she remembers the original bouffant/beehive hairdos (she graduated from high school in 1966), and she got a huge kick out of them. She said she thought it was cool that people were finding a way to get the look without all the back-combing.

Back in the day, Mom also totally cheated on the bubble/flip hairdo and wore a fall; she'd style the front of her hair (the bangs/fringe area, basically) and wear a partial wig for the bubble part, because a) she couldn't be bothered to tease it every morning and b) she has the same problem I do (seeing as I more or less inherited her hair genes, LOL) with hair that doesn't have a consistent curl pattern, so getting it to all flip the same direction was a nightmare.

This is so interesting to hear from people who have worn these styles back in the day! I think wigs and hair pieces were pretty popular, at least in America then. No wonder, some of the beehives were huge!

Robot Ninja
June 18th, 2016, 07:31 AM
Ooo, this would work so well for a Star Trek ToS cosplay. Thanks for sharing.

AZDesertRose
June 18th, 2016, 07:32 AM
This is so interesting to hear from people who have worn these styles back in the day! I think wigs and hair pieces were pretty popular, at least in America then. No wonder, some of the beehives were huge!

Yeah, some of them were something else! Mom had a high-school classmate who wore a beehive so tall it didn't fit in the frame of the yearbook photo, and it was NOT a hair piece. If that young lady wore her hair down, it was quite long, which was unusual in that place and time; long hair got to be much more commonplace a few years later. It sticks in my mind, because almost all the girls in her high school yearbooks have the bubble/flip do or something similar, and then there's the one girl with the massive beehive! :lol:

Not, mind you, that my yearbooks are much different in terms of hair conformity. Most of the straight-haired girls in my high school yearbooks (I was class of 1993) have longish hair with curled bangs, with the exception of the girl (whose name I can't even remember) whom I always called "the lion's mane girl" because she had blonde hair that she styled straight out from her face all the way around like a lion's mane. I shudder to think of the amount of hairspray we all went through! (My generation and Mom's, honestly! :lol:)

AZDesertRose
June 18th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Ooo, this would work so well for a Star Trek ToS cosplay. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, I totally didn't think of that angle. It so would, though!

samanthaa
June 18th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I tried it! As expected, it didn't come out looking nearly as good on me as my hair is not thick enough; the hair covering the poof was so thin that the hair tucked up inside of it kept peaking through! Surprisingly, though, the braids were actually kinda thick. I think it's because I still had some volume going on from yesterdays sock bun curls.

Poof and braided:

http://i.imgur.com/g4cwwn1.jpg

Final look:

http://i.imgur.com/iiAq9Ry.jpg

Arctic
June 18th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Looks really nice though, but yeah to get the bump covered is the most difficult for me too. I wonder how thick hair needs to be to be able to easily pull it off? The woman in the tutorial, she has thick bangs too, yet was able to cover her big bouffant.

BTW as I practiced yesterday, I noticed the layer on top of the bouffant stayed smoother, if I didn't adjust the bouffant from the top, but from underneat, both with my fingers and with a hair stick.

littlestarface
June 18th, 2016, 12:58 PM
littlestarface, that is gorgeous and your hair is so shiny! Nicely done! :)

Blingingly shiny and looks beautiful!

Thank you so much ladies:cloud9: I appreciate the sweet comments. It was fun trying to recreate it thanks for posting it arctic I really like this style.

lapushka
June 18th, 2016, 01:09 PM

Aw that's cute, Arctic! :)

Beborani
June 18th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Interesting--I like all the modifications suggested/ posted here. Also, the focus can be Heidi braids with a little bump on top to give it some sophistication.

Lemon*
June 20th, 2016, 05:46 PM
I just tried this hairstyle and I love it! It was pretty easy once I got the hair tucked under.

http://i.imgur.com/l4CENrF.png

http://i.imgur.com/3n2zWWT.png

Anya15
June 21st, 2016, 12:03 AM
Tried this yesterday, and it's just not possible with my hair...the half-up ponytail is too thick to be tucked under successfully. It shows under my scalp hair like a weird lump.

Fleurish
June 21st, 2016, 01:18 AM
I found this beautiful clever, hair friendly style, that is easy and gives a very different kind of look (at least compared to how I usually style my hair). I haven't tried it yet, my hair might not be long enough for this yet, but I though I'd share. I pinned it for later reference. :)

http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2015/12/easy-no-tease-braided-bouffant.html

This is sort of the shape I had going on the past couple of days, but I do mine a bit differently. I section off a piece in front to do a swoop/roll/what-have-you, and I start pinning up the back a bit upward from the nape. I don't twist like you would if it wouldn't be covered by a scarf, which I always do. :p I add more pins to guide the hair at the sides of my head to the right place, and I roll the length of my hair toward the front, securing with bobby pins and fanning it out into a rounded pouf. I admit to sometimes backcombing to keep the volume and the base of the roll is hidden by a bow of a sheer scarf. I find this easier than trying to tease my long hair into a proper beehive. I can even sleep on this!

Dovetail
June 21st, 2016, 08:31 AM
I'm gonna try this when I get home! I've been looking for some cute ways to wear my hair up (I'm being lazy and sticking with a Lazy-wrap!) I'll share some pictures, regardless of the outcome.

Mirabele
June 21st, 2016, 10:31 AM
Very pretty and she has a great style. I do think this would work for thick hair only. But definitely good idea!

Dovetail
June 21st, 2016, 06:42 PM
Well I took a stab at it, I think I need to leave the pony tail holder looser or something, I had to kind of move the hair around on top of my tail to try and cover it. I used a large flower to cover the pins, but I'd like to get a feminine little pink bow or something. Do you think it looks okay for work? I also did three braids instead of two.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/13494892_1387794834567879_5397153218309206905_n.jp g?oh=a911d3ae3c67341352fe55ef774fe5b5&oe=57F6AFC5

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13413782_1387794841234545_6123743754267186279_n.jp g?oh=6111b99ddaad9d2322eb762973db1266&oe=580B19ED

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13445559_1387794877901208_6232528961171730967_n.jp g?oh=424521467859516238b3356223ae5ccf&oe=57F2EB9C

Arctic
June 22nd, 2016, 02:48 AM
^ It looks amazing, Dovetail! Depending on your work place, of course, it does look like something you probably could wear. The flower might not fit into the dress code, if you have one. But I think this style would work super well on fancier occasions, espcially as you got the bouffant so high!

Lemon* your is very pretty!

Fleurish if you'll ever make a tutorial I'd love to see it!

Mimha
June 22nd, 2016, 04:43 AM
Mine did not turn out like the tutorial...I have trouble putting anything high up on my head, so I didn't realize how low it was until I had already finished it, and I'm too lazy to try redoing it (I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it high up on my head anyway). Here is the end result though:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23584&d=1466192190

It's kind of hard to stuff the hair in without it being lumpy. I had to sort of roll it up into a bun, and then tuck it in. :p

How have I missed this !! :bigeyes: ... It is the most lovely romantic updo I have ever seen !!! :thudpile:

Your hair is so soft looking !... I love everything in it : the color, the shine, the softness, the delicate feminine old fashion style, the lovely little curls, frizz and fly-aways... And the picture itself : the soft rose and pale red tones with this touch of golden light... All is so utterly delicate and romantic ! :crush: :crush: :crush:

w0nderland
June 22nd, 2016, 05:22 AM
I would love to be able to do this!
I just have visions of the bouffant with a beautiful bun with the remaining (although mine would be a ping pong ball sized bun)

Lemon*
June 22nd, 2016, 09:27 AM
Thanks Arctic!

That looks really good Dovetail, I like the three braids. I definitely had to loosen the ponytail holder in order to get the hairstyle to work. Surprisingly I only had to use 4 bobby pins which didn't show and it held all day. I was really happy! Can't wait to try it again.

Dovetail
June 22nd, 2016, 03:06 PM
Thanks so much! It took a bit of fiddling to be sure. But no bun was built in a day!

I'll have to try it looser. I used a few pins to hold the loop up in there or, the gap shut, since it was trying to pull out, I think if it was looser it'd stay better. Also I need some little clear ponys so it doesn't show. I was to pick some up and try to wear it on friday with some jeans and red lips! (it's casual day on Friday) I'll take some better pictures if I can get it to look presentable!

Laurenji
June 23rd, 2016, 08:37 AM
Hey, I tried it this morning! It was really fun and not even that time consuming or hard to do!

http://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7379/27823226836_077a17c53a_z.jpg

The back was sort of messy, though:

http://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7483/27823228376_feb3946050_z.jpg

Lemon*
June 23rd, 2016, 10:06 AM
Laurenji that looks awesome! Really close to the original. The bouffant looks perfect!

neko_kawaii
July 4th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Nice!

In honor of Margaret Heldt, the inventor of the Beehive who passed away last month, I've made this the hair style of the month for July (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=138721).