PDA

View Full Version : Favorite hair care products

Wendyp
June 15th, 2016, 07:20 PM
I'm new here and I'm trying to figure out what to use on my hair. I have been using expensive products and not getting the results I want. Part of it may be my routine. There are just so many products out there and I would love to hear what has worked for y'all.

Decoy24601
June 15th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Well, what results do you want? My favorite product is a hair moisturizer by LUSH, but it's a very heavy product that probably wouldn't be good for 1a fine hair, unless you put it in at night and wash it out in the morning or something. My hair really craves protein and moisture, so I've been doing a modified SMT (honey only as an add-in) once a week and gelatin protein treatments as needed. My hair loves honey and ACV rinses. I do CWC now when I shampoo my hair and that works better for me than WCC or a normal WC. I use WO/CO depending on what my hair needs at the time when I don't shampoo. I've mostly found all of this out by experimenting with things on my own hair. My hair doesn't do well with cones, so I use a cone-free shampoo and conditioner and use a cone serum on my ends maybe once or twice a week so I can control how much is in my hair easier. I guess the biggest part of my routine is hydration and not shampooing my hair too much.

Wendyp
June 15th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Well, what results do you want? My favorite product is a hair moisturizer by LUSH, but it's a very heavy product that probably wouldn't be good for 1a fine hair, unless you put it in at night and wash it out in the morning or something. My hair really craves protein and moisture, so I've been doing a modified SMT (honey only as an add-in) once a week and gelatin protein treatments as needed. My hair loves honey and ACV rinses. I do CWC now when I shampoo my hair and that works better for me than WCC or a normal WC. I use WO/CO depending on what my hair needs at the time when I don't shampoo. I've mostly found all of this out by experimenting with things on my own hair. My hair doesn't do well with cones, so I use a cone-free shampoo and conditioner and use a cone serum on my ends maybe once or twice a week so I can control how much is in my hair easier. I guess the biggest part of my routine is hydration and not shampooing my hair too much.

I want tailbone length and less breakage. I have been using wen for 2 years, so I'm shocked at all the people using drug store stuff with just amazing beautiful hair. I did just change my routine now since I learned about CWC and all that. So much to take in. I wish I had read all these threads so long ago. I do think my hair needs more protein, but my hair is funny it really needs a lot of moisture. It just gets greasy (oily scalp) but I think I can wash every couple days like a lot of people do here. I'm going to try the gelatin treatments too.

Decoy24601
June 15th, 2016, 07:45 PM
I want tailbone length and less breakage. I have been using wen for 2 years, so I'm shocked at all the people using drug store stuff with just amazing beautiful hair. I did just change my routine now since I learned about CWC and all that. So much to take in. I wish I had read all these threads so long ago. I do think my hair needs more protein, but my hair is funny it really needs a lot of moisture. It just gets greasy (oily scalp) but I think I can wash every couple days like a lot of people do here. I'm going to try the gelatin treatments too.

Have you tried doing scalp only washes? I don't know too much about this yet, since I'm new as well, but from what I gather you can fasten a grocery bag around a pony tail/braid and wind it into a bun so the length of your hair won't get wet, but you can still wash your scalp and apply conditioner to your lengths before, after, or both, whatever works for your hair. I use this for the protein treatment: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/p/recipes-and-projects.html . For the SMT, I use whatever conditioner that works well for my hair (cone-free for me), plus extra honey (recipe calls for aloe plus honey). I use a little bit of olive oil on my ends after washing, but you might find that olive oil is waaay too heavy for your hair. Lighter oils that can penetrate the hair shaft might work better for you.

Some people find that sulfate-free shampoos help them go longer between washes, but for me the opposite is true. I need something to remove the buildup on my hair and scalp. I do have some fine hair by my temples and I do have issues with those parts of my hair getting greasy, so I have to be careful about what products I use and where on my hair that I use them.

I've been experimenting for at least a couple weeks now and I'm just starting to find out what really works for my hair. My hair is very damaged despite never dying or heat styling, and hydration has gone a looong way to improve the health of my hair. I honestly think it has less to do with the quality of the actual shampoo and conditioner and more to do with what is in it and how it works for your hair, as well as how and when you use it and what other products you use. Great quality products certainly do help though.

For me, a lot of my damage came from using very cone-heavy products and never clarifying. My hair became so coated that it never got enough moisture. I have tailbone length hair, but despite being able to grow my hair long easily, there's more damage than there should be. If you do end up deciding to use products with silicones in them, make sure you clarify every once in a while. I never used to clarify at all and I never thought I needed to.

ETA: There are a ton of different routines and combinations of products on here. I would try experimenting with some of the products/routines that people with very similar hair to you have and see what works from there

littlestarface
June 15th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Usually here we use what works for our hair, some people might be suave vo5 conditioners, WEN is just a glorified version of COing and you can easily replace it something cheaper, I use tresemme conditioner and it works wonderful.

You can do protein treatments and follow up with a moisturizing treatment as well, that should help your hair.

pailin
June 15th, 2016, 09:12 PM
I've been experimenting a lot this year (I've been on lhc about that long). I've settled into CWC daily with Pantene Aquapure (I think it's an Asia only one, probably similar to the Aqualight) for shampoo- my scalp gets greasy a little more slowly than with the gentler moisturizing shampoos. But I think I could substitute any clear, cone-free shampoo. For conditioner, I've gone back to what I was using when I came to lhc, which is Loreal Evercreme. My hair just feels soooo much nicer than on any of the other ones I've tried. It's a little expensive here, but I think it's cheaper in the US. Then I've been using a little bit of silicony serum on wet hair. Often I use a few drops of sunflower oil as well in the mornings, before braiding or bunning (my hair doesn't like coconut oil).
Ive experimented with protein off and on, and my hair seems to happily take as much protein as I throw at it. It also loves honey. But I don't think I really need the protein, I think my hair just likes it for the moisturizing properties. My current regular routine doesn't have any, and I don't feel the need to play around with protein treatments or SMT with this routine.

vampyyri
June 15th, 2016, 09:16 PM
It really is trial and error, or the LHC initiation. Start poking around the forums, and try different methods until you find what works for you!

I know I'm still going through my initiation a month later, and haven't found my holy-grail products yet, but I have found a few methods that work for me! Hair care is YMMV, no two people are the same, but you just have to keep trying! Try different shampoos, conditioners, methods of washing, not washing at all, washing only with water, oiling, deep conditioning... there's so many possibilities!

Chlorophylliac
June 16th, 2016, 02:33 AM
I have the same hair type as you. I went cone-free for several years, and have experimented with several no-poo methods, but as my hair got past bsl, tangles became enough of an issue that I have gone back to cones, and so occasional sls use is a must. I love all dry shampoo (my favorite is Suave), As I Am coconut co-wash, Shea Moisture shampoos, and Trader Joe's Tea Tree tingle line. I really like scalp-only washes, as sls and cones make it difficult to find balance - my roots need cleaning every 2-4 days, but my length becomes too slippery/fly-away with being washed so frequently. My hair gets crunchy with protein. My plan is to scalp-only wash with sls-free shampoo every 2-3 days, co-wash everything once weekly (just using cones at my ends over cone free condish, to seal in moisture), and clarify monthly.

MINAKO
June 16th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Destilled water, sesame oil and some cheap Alterra hairmask are pretty much my go to. I do use alot of pricier products that are probably pretty unecessary, because although they do work in some way the difference is minimal. Benign neglect is probably the best product ever, lol.

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 05:22 AM
Now I have to learn all about cones lol. Soooo much to learn here! And I thought I knew what I was doing with my hair lol! I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge.

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 05:28 AM
Omg wen is coney!! No wonder it was building up and contributing to breakage!! Omg

lapushka
June 16th, 2016, 05:57 AM
I would not go crazy right now. I would use up the Wen, then focus on trying new products. Lots of us use Suave, Tresemme, Pantene, Garnier (Fructis/Whole Blends), Herbal Essences.

The CWC routine might be a little heavy for a 1a, so I would first try to shampoo/condition with a regular drugstore product.

I rec the Garnier Whole Blends line. Make sure you pick a shampoo for oily hair, and then a conditioner for drier hair, a more moisturizing one, even though your hair might be weighed down by it, so... pick and choose the right way. It doesn't so much matter what brand, but what kind of product you choose. Choose for your hair type - it matters!

school of fish
June 16th, 2016, 05:59 AM
My hair has a push/pull nature whereby it really likes moisture but it really builds up exceedingly fast. My hair also hates my own sebum, which means I have to strip that away regularly and then replenish the moisture. My hair is very low porosity - nothing seems to penetrate the cuticle so any kind of leave-in is out, I need rinse-out treatments. It took me a long period of one-change-at-a-time trial and error to find my perfect routine and products, which I have - here it is:

I use a clear sulphate shampoo and a rich conditioner with a light silicone - both Pantene Ice Shine. 2 days a week I S&C and the remaining 5 days I CO with the conditioner only. I shampoo right down from root to ends, and condition right up from ends to roots. On shampoo days I use drops (and I mean like 5 drops) of either jojoba or mineral oil in between the shampoo and conditioner (rinse-out oil method). I do a final rinse daily with an extremely diluted acid rinse - about 1/2tsp of lemon juice in 8oz of water (helps with dry detangling and reduces piecieness). No leave-ins - oils, serums, aloe, nothing at all left in after washing.

I've listed my routine and reasons as well as my products because they give a fuller context as to why I use them. Context was what I found most helpful back when I was in search mode for my own best products - it helped to shortlist the mountain of information contained on this site ;)

The other thing that helped me enormously was to pay attention to whose hair *behaved* like mine, not just had the same stats on the sidebar. Most of the time, if someone who had hair that had similar behavioural quirks to mine had success with a product, I found I had success with it too :D

Good luck on your search, and enjoy the process! It's a big part of the fun :)

Hopeful65
June 16th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Your hair looks so much like mine, but I am at hip length now. We are the same age too.

I use this shampoo http://www.sallybeauty.com/argan-moisturizing-shampoo/ONEONL17,default,pd.html#start=12
I've been using it for around 5 years now, I loved it as soon as I tried it.

I rarely ever use conditioner on my fine hair. When I do it is just on the very ends, and it is this one http://www.sallybeauty.com/argan-oil-mask/SBS-539416,default,pd.html#~EDGE~!sort.axis__default~~ !page.size__48~~page.number__1~~!brand__One+'n+Onl y!~EDGE~=undefined&start=13&sz=12&viewAllProducts=true

I do use real 100% pure argan oil on my hair sometimes, very sparingly, when damp.

I am very careful with my hair when it is still wet, or even damp at all. And I do frequent microtrimming with blunt straight across ends to give me the fullest hemline possible for my fine hair. This is what works best for me and I have made it to hip length with real nice ends.

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Yes I'm going to work the wen in somehow, I have a ton of it. Just bought some natures gate and shea butter, OMG my hair loves Shea butter! I will try garner too

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 10:07 AM
My hair has a push/pull nature whereby it really likes moisture but it really builds up exceedingly fast. My hair also hates my own sebum, which means I have to strip that away regularly and then replenish the moisture. My hair is very low porosity - nothing seems to penetrate the cuticle so any kind of leave-in is out, I need rinse-out treatments. It took me a long period of one-change-at-a-time trial and error to find my perfect routine and products, which I have - here it is:

I use a clear sulphate shampoo and a rich conditioner with a light silicone - both Pantene Ice Shine. 2 days a week I S&C and the remaining 5 days I CO with the conditioner only. I shampoo right down from root to ends, and condition right up from ends to roots. On shampoo days I use drops (and I mean like 5 drops) of either jojoba or mineral oil in between the shampoo and conditioner (rinse-out oil method). I do a final rinse daily with an extremely diluted acid rinse - about 1/2tsp of lemon juice in 8oz of water (helps with dry detangling and reduces piecieness). No leave-ins - oils, serums, aloe, nothing at all left in after washing.

I've listed my routine and reasons as well as my products because they give a fuller context as to why I use them. Context was what I found most helpful back when I was in search mode for my own best products - it helped to shortlist the mountain of information contained on this site ;)

The other thing that helped me enormously was to pay attention to whose hair *behaved* like mine, not just had the same stats on the sidebar. Most of the time, if someone who had hair that had similar behavioural quirks to mine had success with a product, I found I had success with it too :D

It is fun but I feel I do feel a little lost in th dark like I'm looking up a huge mountain of products lol! This definitely helps a lot getting tips and recommendations. I tried Shea butter for the first time today and I found the holy grail!!

I love you guys thanks for your help!!

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Your hair looks so much like mine, but I am at hip length now. We are the same age too.

I use this shampoo http://www.sallybeauty.com/argan-moisturizing-shampoo/ONEONL17,default,pd.html#start=12
I've been using it for around 5 years now, I loved it as soon as I tried it.

I rarely ever use conditioner on my fine hair. When I do it is just on the very ends, and it is this one http://www.sallybeauty.com/argan-oil-mask/SBS-539416,default,pd.html#~EDGE~!sort.axis__default~~ !page.size__48~~page.number__1~~!brand__One+'n+Onl y!~EDGE~=undefined&start=13&sz=12&viewAllProducts=true

I do use real 100% pure argan oil on my hair sometimes, very sparingly, when damp.

I am very careful with my hair when it is still wet, or even damp at all. And I do frequent microtrimming with blunt straight across ends to give me the fullest hemline possible for my fine hair. This is what works best for me and I have made it to hip length with real nice ends.

So many people with our hair type with gorgeous hair. I was just about to give up I thought it was just my hair type.but now I know it my routine/product for the way my hair behaves and type. I cover my grey so that may be one reason its porous it just soaked up the Shea butter.

As to your shampoo it's coney plus protein right? See I'm learning!! Now to figure out if my hair likes either and it what amounts lol there's so much to this! Fun though

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 10:16 AM

Your hair is amazing too!! Same type as mine too

meteor
June 16th, 2016, 10:43 AM
I found that products don't mean as much as daily handling routine and protection and avoidance of damage. Products are mostly responsible for temporary cosmetic effect, but handling is what will allow to preserve hair (or not) long enough for better quality and length retention. I just make sure products don't trigger any skin sensitivity issues for me and provide adequate cleansing, slip, etc and I check ingredients lists, of course.

Since the issue of expensive vs. drugstore products was brought up, I should say that companies use marketing and other considerations in pricing models, rather than completely different ingredients: you can actually understand a great deal about the product just by reading the ingredients lists, but price or label won't tell that much about performance, IMHO. Here is a great post on this: http://thebeautybrains.com/2013/11/the-beauty-brains-show-episode-03-are-salon-ingredients-higher-quality/

As for favorite treatments, I do like oils, though I think they are very YMMV - different people do well with different oils, applied differently (check out LOC, oil rinses, oils added to conditioner, for example), some can't use them at all. I think a pretty safe experiment is pre-poo oil treatment with a penetrating oil, because the oil gets washed out. A drop or two of oil spread thoroughly on ends whenever they feel dry can be pretty helpful, too. ;)

Since protein treatments were mentioned, I'll mention my favorite DIY gelatin mask (I like it, because it's pretty moisturizing despite being a protein treatment):
- 1 Knox gelatin packet
- a bit of hot water (just enough to melt the gelatin powder)
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup conditioner of choice
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of oil(s) of choice

The more dry the hair feels, the more oil and honey I'd use. And vice versa.

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I found that products don't mean as much as daily handling routine and protection and avoidance of damage. Products are mostly responsible for temporary cosmetic effect, but handling is what will allow to preserve hair (or not) long enough for better quality and length retention. I just make sure products don't trigger any skin sensitivity issues for me and provide adequate cleansing, slip, etc and I check ingredients lists, of course.

Since the issue of expensive vs. drugstore products was brought up, I should say that companies use marketing and other considerations in pricing models, rather than completely different ingredients: you can actually understand a great deal about the product just by reading the ingredients lists, but price or label won't tell that much about performance, IMHO. Here is a great post on this: http://thebeautybrains.com/2013/11/the-beauty-brains-show-episode-03-are-salon-ingredients-higher-quality/

As for favorite treatments, I do like oils, though I think they are very YMMV - different people do well with different oils, applied differently (check out LOC, oil rinses, oils added to conditioner, for example), some can't use them at all. I think a pretty safe experiment is pre-poo oil treatment with a penetrating oil, because the oil gets washed out. A drop or two of oil spread thoroughly on ends whenever they feel dry can be pretty helpful, too. ;)

Since protein treatments were mentioned, I'll mention my favorite DIY gelatin mask (I like it, because it's pretty moisturizing despite being a protein treatment):
- 1 Knox gelatin packet
- a bit of hot water (just enough to melt the gelatin powder)
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup conditioner of choice
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of oil(s) of choice

The more dry the hair feels, the more oil and honey I'd use. And vice versa.

My hair loves oil. Wen does make a great oil and i been letting it soak on the night before wash, and i always put stuff on my ends. I just tried shea butter today and my hair is all bouncy and soft. im really seeing its all about routine, mostly anyway. i have a lot of experimenting to do. i have a question about the protein treatment, i bought gelatin today. Is that pre wash or just rinse out and your done?

meteor
June 16th, 2016, 03:20 PM
^ I use it as a treatment/conditioner after shampooing - 15-30 min under a plastic cap. If you use it as a pre-poo treatment, you can make it much richer - e.g. use more/heavier oil(s), more honey... But I find protein treatments stick to hair better if the hair is freshly washed/clarified, and many proteins wash out rather easily.

Great to hear that oils work well for you! :D There are lots of ways of using them: e.g. pre-poo oiling, LOC post-wash (liquid/leave-in + oil + cream/conditioner), oil rinse (between shampoo and conditioner), oil added to conditioner, oil added to detangling spray, a few drops on ends before bed or before bunning for the day, pre-pool treatment, pre-bleach, etc etc... If you have a few oils at home, you can try mixing them in different proportions or making infused herbal oils (in small batches, so that you don't have too much product to use up if an experiment isn't successful). There are so many ways of using oils! :crush:

But I think, ultimately, my favorite hair care products are hair tools rather than anything else:

- silky smooth materials for pillowcases and/or bonnets and scarves (for reducing tangling, friction, frizz while sleeping and preserving hairstyles for longer);

- wide-tooth seamless comb (I use the Body Shop one, made of birch wood);

- hair sticks or hair forks (for keeping hair up in non-damaging low-manipulation styles)

endlessly
June 16th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Currently, I only using products from Lush on my hair and while I do like them, there's really only one product I strongly recommend when people ask and that's the R&B leave-in hair moisturizer. It's a very thick, extra creamy leave-in containing a ton of nutritious butters and oils, so it's very hydrating and smoothing.

Decoy24601
June 16th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Currently, I only using products from Lush on my hair and while I do like them, there's really only one product I strongly recommend when people ask and that's the R&B leave-in hair moisturizer. It's a very thick, extra creamy leave-in containing a ton of nutritious butters and oils, so it's very hydrating and smoothing.

That's what I use! :D The R&B hair moisturizer is amazing. I use it on wet/damp hair first and then if my hair still needs it I carefully work in a very small amount to my hair. It's marketed towards curly hair, but it works great even on my 1b hair. It also smells wonderful.

ETA: It's very expensive, at least in my opinion, but a little goes a long way so it lasts a very long time.

lapushka
June 16th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Look at all of us recommending products. We're sending her on a spending spree. :lol:

Decoy24601
June 16th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Look at all of us recommending products. We're sending her on a spending spree. :lol:

Haha, I joined this forum myself maybe a week ago and I've already spent more on my hair than I have in the last year :p.

lapushka
June 16th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Haha, I joined this forum myself maybe a week ago and I've already spent more on my hair than I have in the last year :p.

Uh, don't I know it. My hair has become my "hobby". That's what I call it. I'll stick to it. ;)

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 04:15 PM
My hair loves oil. Wen does make a great oil and i been letting it soak on the night before wash, and i always put stuff on my ends. I just tried shea butter today and my hair is all bouncy and soft. im really seeing its all about routine, mostly anyway. i have a lot of experimenting to do. i have a question about the protein treatment, i bought gelatin today. Is that pre wash or just rinse out and your done?

Omg so much fun!! My favorite thing in the world is buying hair products!!! I've just been doing it all wrong. I get its about routine mainly for the most part! This is awesome

Decoy24601
June 16th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Uh, don't I know it. My hair has become my "hobby". That's what I call it. I'll stick to it. ;)

I think "hobby" is a good way to describe it :D. My first set of hair forks/sticks and ox-horn/wood combs arrived today in the mail. I'll be putting up my first length shot and some action shots in the pictures thread. I'm curious though, do you know of a good cone-free detangler spray? I prefer to use serums as my only cone product because my hair and cones have a complicated relationship. My hair doesn't have major issues tangling, but without all the cone buildup I do notice more small tangles, even though I have less large snarls in my hair. The hair at the very back/bottom of my head is a different texture and tangles a lot easier than the rest of my hair. LUSH has a conefree one, but it's very expensive for the amount you get. I'd prefer to get something cheaper from the drugstore.

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 04:16 PM

Omg me too lol! And with washing less now it's going to take a year to figure out what works lmao!!

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 04:18 PM

I used to love lush so now I have an idea of what's wrong I can go back to some stuff I don't remember the leave in so I can't wait to try!

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 05:59 PM
^ I use it as a treatment/conditioner after shampooing - 15-30 min under a plastic cap. If you use it as a pre-poo treatment, you can make it much richer - e.g. use more/heavier oil(s), more honey... But I find protein treatments stick to hair better if the hair is freshly washed/clarified, and many proteins wash out rather easily.

Great to hear that oils work well for you! :D There are lots of ways of using them: e.g. pre-poo oiling, LOC post-wash (liquid/leave-in + oil + cream/conditioner), oil rinse (between shampoo and conditioner), oil added to conditioner, oil added to detangling spray, a few drops on ends before bed or before bunning for the day, pre-pool treatment, pre-bleach, etc etc... If you have a few oils at home, you can try mixing them in different proportions or making infused herbal oils (in small batches, so that you don't have too much product to use up if an experiment isn't successful). There are so many ways of using oils! :crush:

But I think, ultimately, my favorite hair care products are hair tools rather than anything else:

- silky smooth materials for pillowcases and/or bonnets and scarves (for reducing tangling, friction, frizz while sleeping and preserving hairstyles for longer);

- wide-tooth seamless comb (I use the Body Shop one, made of birch wood);

- hair sticks or hair forks (for keeping hair up in non-damaging low-manipulation styles)

i do love oils. Wen does make nice oils, they are very light and smell great. Im definitely getting silk pillow cases. alot of people talk about that.

Wendyp
June 16th, 2016, 06:00 PM

did someone say i have to buy hair sticks??? lol

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 05:26 AM
I think "hobby" is a good way to describe it :D. My first set of hair forks/sticks and ox-horn/wood combs arrived today in the mail. I'll be putting up my first length shot and some action shots in the pictures thread. I'm curious though, do you know of a good cone-free detangler spray? I prefer to use serums as my only cone product because my hair and cones have a complicated relationship. My hair doesn't have major issues tangling, but without all the cone buildup I do notice more small tangles, even though I have less large snarls in my hair. The hair at the very back/bottom of my head is a different texture and tangles a lot easier than the rest of my hair. LUSH has a conefree one, but it's very expensive for the amount you get. I'd prefer to get something cheaper from the drugstore.

Oh wow great! :D

Nope, detangling sprays you just can't get here, unless it's the Gliss Kur ones and they are chockful of silicones. Maybe look at the Suave detangler for kids (you are in the US, right?), maybe that's an option. I have no idea if there are silicones in there or not, though.

ETA: my bad, now I see you're in Canada. I don't know what products are available to you. :o

Omg me too lol! And with washing less now it's going to take a year to figure out what works lmao!!

Baby steps. You'll get there! :D

did someone say i have to buy hair sticks??? lol

Haha, try going with Eads sticks first, just to get a feel for it. Or use a regular pencil to see if you can manage a stick already. There's a few updos you might be able to do, like a Lazy Wrap Bun or cinnabun.

ephemeri
June 17th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Omg wen is coney!! No wonder it was building up and contributing to breakage!! Omg

Wen is actually in a lawsuit at the moment because some time last year a bunch of people started noticing a lot of hair loss after using their products. I don't know if you've have problems with that but I am afraid of Wen now! shudder:

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Silicones can't lead to breakage, and neither can build-up. It's just annoying, the build-up, I mean. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with silicones, as long as you know you need to clarify-wash once in a while to remove all build-up, usually with any sulfate shampoo (it's fine, it doesn't have to say "clarifying" on the bottle).

Wendyp
June 17th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Wen is actually in a lawsuit at the moment because some time last year a bunch of people started noticing a lot of hair loss after using their products. I don't know if you've have problems with that but I am afraid of Wen now! shudder:

I know, it never did that to my hair at all, actually i think it has helped me get to the length i am at now, but my routine was off and i needed everything else that everyone is doing, Ie, DC, Shea butter, silk pillow cases, etc. my hair all ready feels different with the shae butter :cheer::cheer:

The problem i have with the lawsuit is if something makes your hair fall out wouldnt you stop using it?? he has alot of natural stuff in there and i think those people had sensitivities maybe.

Wendyp
June 17th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Oh wow great! :D

Nope, detangling sprays you just can't get here, unless it's the Gliss Kur ones and they are chockful of silicones. Maybe look at the Suave detangler for kids (you are in the US, right?), maybe that's an option. I have no idea if there are silicones in there or not, though.

ETA: my bad, now I see you're in Canada. I don't know what products are available to you. :o

Baby steps. You'll get there! :D

Haha, try going with Eads sticks first, just to get a feel for it. Or use a regular pencil to see if you can manage a stick already. There's a few updos you might be able to do, like a Lazy Wrap Bun or cinnabun.

I really dont wear my hair up much except when im out with my horses and on my farm, well which is alot. But i just pull it back in a scrunchy. I used to sleep with it like that, but now im braiding from reading all the posts.

Wendyp
June 17th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Silicones can't lead to breakage, and neither can build-up. It's just annoying, the build-up, I mean. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with silicones, as long as you know you need to clarify-wash once in a while to remove all build-up, usually with any sulfate shampoo (it's fine, it doesn't have to say "clarifying" on the bottle).

which i didnt know. I think wen has them and my hair has been building up for sure. It seems to get drier like nothing can penetrate it. But yet i still have my oily scalp. so annoying