PDA

View Full Version : Nut allergy

Ponymad21
June 15th, 2016, 09:31 AM
I'm about to try the Aussie miracle moist for the first time but I have a slight nut allergy and it contains macadamia nut oil, could it cause an allergic reaction even though it is being used externally?
sorry if the isn't the right place to ask but I didn't know where else to ask

Anje
June 15th, 2016, 09:37 AM
How bad is your allergy? If it's anaphylactic, I think it's probably best not to take the risk. If it's not, I'd patch-test it if I were you. But be prepared that your reaction might change over time. (Standard "I'm not a doctor" disclaimer goes here.)

Ponymad21
June 15th, 2016, 09:38 AM
No where near anaphylactic, I'll patch test it

Ponymad21
June 15th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Thank you for the help

Stepo_NiNha
June 15th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Is it a big allergy? Something like your hands can't even touch it?

If so, then you should consider if it's really worth it or not. You mentioned that it's just a slight allergy but the same person can react differently to allergies along his/her life even with the same product. Do you have any specific allergy episode in the past?

If it's not a big allergy and you're really sure about it, I think it should be ok IF the product is applied on the lengths and ends. Avoid the scalp.

Agnieszka
June 15th, 2016, 09:42 AM
My son has anaphylaxis to many foods. Nuts are on a list too. My advice would be to patch test it on your forearm. Just leave it there for a minute and see what happens. My son is ok with oils as long as it's pure from protein. For example he will have anaphylactic shock if he eats a small piece of cod but absolutely fine with taking fish cod oil capsules.

spirals
June 15th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Not a nurse or doc here, so I can only relate my friend's experience. She's allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts. We went to get pedicures and they used nut oils for massage without asking about allergies. Her legs broke out in hives. I wouldn't risk it because conditioner is near your face. Could you add a non-allergic oil to another conditioner for a deep treatment? Jojoba is good for that.

hayheadsbird
June 15th, 2016, 10:19 AM
My son has anaphylaxis to many foods. Nuts are on a list too. My advice would be to patch test it on your forearm. Just leave it there for a minute and see what happens. My son is ok with oils as long as it's pure from protein. For example he will have anaphylactic shock if he eats a small piece of cod but absolutely fine with taking fish cod oil capsules.

DD has a peanut allergy, and as long as there's no protein she doesn't have any reaction. I'd be wary just in case though. Patch test and repeat regularly, if any doubt avoid.

truepeacenik
June 15th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Not a nurse or doc here, so I can only relate my friend's experience. She's allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts. We went to get pedicures and they used nut oils for massage without asking about allergies. Her legs broke out in hives. I wouldn't risk it because conditioner is near your face. Could you add a non-allergic oil to another conditioner for a deep treatment? Jojoba is good for that.

If you ever wonder why you fill out a medical intake form for massage, this is one good reason. (Heart issues, recent surgery and history of cancer play large parts, too.)

Spas should be asking!

Ponymad21
June 15th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I don't seem to have had a reaction to the patch test so
I will test a few more times before I use it on my hair

Agnieszka
June 15th, 2016, 10:55 AM

She probably has a very strong allergy. I know someone who can't even be in a room when eggs are cooking or touch an object which was touched by person eating allergen. My son has strong allergy but he has to eat an allergen or rub it in to have a reaction. Anaphylaxis only due to eating otherwise hives.
His allergologist said to do forearm patch test at home before eating any new food especially containing protein. Food allergies sucks.

hayheadsbird
June 15th, 2016, 10:59 AM
They suggested DD patch test new foods on her upper lip, between her nose and mouth. Any tingles and it's a no go.

Nadine <3
June 15th, 2016, 01:19 PM
I would patch test it on your skin somewhere. Even if the allergy is slight, allergies can get worse over time. I'm allergic to bananas and it started out as just tingling lips, then one day they tingled and got swollen. The last time I had banana my tongue got swollen and I had to see a doctor because it was getting hard to breathe. This was over the course of a year or so that my allergy progressed.

Agnieszka
June 15th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Nadine! I hope you have an epi-pen ready just in case or at least antihistamine...

Nadine <3
June 15th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Nadine! I hope you have an epi-pen ready just in case or at least antihistamine...

I have both! :)

Agnieszka
June 15th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Oh good! :-)

June 16th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Not about nuts but... I use chamomile externally for many things. Hair, as tooth powder, I use it all the time and don't have reaction, it's even beneficial. But I tried to drink it once and got crazy reaction. I had to lie down and were sweating like crazy. I don't know if it was overdose or allergy or what. I still use it externally just fine. So you don't have to have reaction from external use if you have problems with consuming it.